1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Changes coming for XBOX and Play station

Discussion in 'Gaming Forum' started by Fishweiser, Jun 22, 2012.

1. Desides

Desides Well-Known Member

Nov 28, 2007
    Pembroke Pines, FL
    I have to say, constant 60 FPS is pretty amazing to me. I've never had this on a PC before.

2. Tone_E

Tone_E Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Dec 8, 2007
    Is the 670 loud? Hot?

3. Desides

Nov 28, 2007
    Pembroke Pines, FL
    Nope. Cool and quiet, though the fans on my Gigabyte are audible when I'm really and truly stressing the thing, mainly with synthetic benchmarks.

4. BigDogsHunt

BigDogsHunt Enough talk...prove it!

Nov 27, 2007
    DC Metro Area
    These changes can not be good news for the folks at Game Stop, etc.

5. Stitches

Stitches ThePhin's Biggest Killjoy Luxury Box

Nov 23, 2007
    Katy, TX
    Except that it's merely speculation right now, with less than a fair chance of becoming a reality.

BigDogsHunt likes this.
  6. Desides

Nov 28, 2007
    Pembroke Pines, FL
    Exactly. No one wants to cross retailers for obvious reasons. Disallowing used games would be a huge double middle finger to retailers. Not good for business.

The real problem is thin(ning) profit margins, due mainly to the huge cost increases of making games, especially the AAA blockbusters that everyone seems to think all games must be. Something will eventually give, and in fact it already has: mobile games are much cheaper to make and are a huge source of revenue. Epic made more money on Infinity Blade than Gears of War, and that's starting to become the norm.

What we may eventually see is companies using mobile games to subsidize the AAA blockbusters, which means a shift of the low- and mid-level development teams toward mobile platforms (read: iOS). There might be some Nintendo love tossed in there too, but the 3DS is a money hog compared to iOS (just compare game prices between iOS and the 3DS), so it may not be much better than consoles in terms of profit margin.

Ultimately, companies are going to have to make less games and better games. That should boost profits back up, eliminating the perceived need to kill the used game market.