1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

2012 should be a very simple draft for Miami

Discussion in 'Miami Dolphins Forum' started by the 23rd, Apr 13, 2012.

1. Larryfinfan

Larryfinfan 17-0...Priceless Club Member

Well, I'm glad you're looking at things with aqua and orange glasses like many fans. You're opinion is fine, but it ignores the D totally. Like many fans, I see:

Big hole at QB with MMoore and Garrard. Coming out of the draft with a guy at 8 (or higher if we trade up) that is at least a developmental guy for a year or two won't sit well with the majority of the fanbase. Tannehill is a scary proposition at #8 and yet may still not be there. If he is, one of the better QB evaluators in the league (Mike Holmgren) will have decided his backup QB masquerading as a starter (McCoy) is a better option... That's not a ringing endorsement in my book. Trading up for Tannehill is wasting resources this team can't afford to give up because despite the endorsements that we are 'fine', we have several NEEDs to fill.

OLB/DE - Need, not want.
    RG/RT - Need, not want.
    WR - Need, not want.
    S - Need, not want.
    QB - You said it...

Where is this draft anywhere near 'simple' ?? You and lot of others will be 'Ted Ginn, Jr' disappointed when the first pick is an OL or OLB/DE...I won't be, but that's a different story...

WharfRat and gunn34 like this.
  2. Larryfinfan

Gotta agree with Ozzy here....Bess is arguably our best WR, and he's a good slot guy, but that's it and he's not nearly as fast at Jordy Nelson...Hartline is not quite fast enough to be a #2. He's a good route runner and could do well in the WCO, but he's no Greg Jennings. Where is our Donald Driver?? Gates?? At this point, it's simple conjecture that he could be our Jennings or Driver... I see what you're getting at, that this offense could be successful without a true, vertical #1 WR, but to compare this group to GB is dissing them badly...

3. Fin-Omenal

Fin-Omenal Initiated

Mar 25, 2008
    Thee...Ohio State University
    Bess played OK. He looked better in previous years. Im not real confident in him going foward.

4. jw3102

jw3102 season ticket holder

Sep 4, 2010
    Maui, Hawaii

Larryfinfin, I agree with your assessment of the team. I see the Dolphins with a number of holes to fill and I just don't see them filling all those holes in one draft. I think it will take at least 2-3 more drafts before the Dolphins can fill all these needs. I also agree that trading up for Tannehill would be a major negative for the rebuilding process the Dolphins are presently undergoing.

I see the Dolphins once again finishing next season under 500, and it would not surprise me in the least if the Dolphins don't finish last in the AFC East. It is obvious that the Dolphins FO doesn't want to admit that they are in a rebuilding process, but that is exactly what they are doing. The fact that some individuals on here actually look at the Dolphins 20-28 record over the last three years and place all the blame on Sparano and Henne, and none of the blame on the overall talent on the roster, boggles the mind.

Like you, I will be much happier to see the Dolphins stay at eight in the first round and draft another offensive lineman, or OLB/DE. Tannehill is not worth a first round pick, especially one in the top ten.

5. the 23rd

the 23rd a.k.a. Rio

Apr 20, 2009
    Tampa Area
    about this & that without taking things out of perspective:

1) Jerry & Murtha will be ready to compete with Garner & Carey on the right side
    if we can up-grade in the draft good; if not, we'll coach them up
    2) WR Corp has much talent & diversity. can't catch what isn't thrown . a reasonable QB will boost their stock a notch, a Franchise QB will lift the corp to the next level. if we can up-grade in the draft good; if not, we'll coach them up

I am not overly optimistic, simply realistic. Sparano & Henne were our big problems & they are gone. let the new coaching cadre do what they were hired to do.

ultimately, the draft is one big crap shoot. the only need is the Franchise QB, Tannehill @ 8, then the best talent in 2-7

the team is not rebuilding. this will be a very intense year & our coaching cadre will have to prove to be the difference.

am looking forward to some very good games in 2012

6. the 23rd

the 23rd a.k.a. Rio

Apr 20, 2009
    Tampa Area
    sorry, repeated post

7. gunn34

gunn34 I miss Don & Dan

Jan 5, 2008
    Oviedo FL
    I'm opposed to trading up. We have to many other needs to address.

PhinPhanatic likes this.
  8. the 23rd

the 23rd a.k.a. Rio

Apr 20, 2009
    Tampa Area
    honestly don't see all these needs
    all we need is our franchise QB
    then, upgrades will be available
    especially in the WR department
    2-7 should be BPA & let them compete

not to worry :no: this should be a simple draft

in a NFL of relative parity
    once you have the elite QB established
    coaching is the way we step up
    not my dog's bigger than your dog
    you have to train the beast

leadership, experience, clarity & continuity in coaching is what will make the ultimate difference

looking forward to a very interesting & entertaining 2012. I think Moore could get us into the play-offs with the current talent on this roster if coached properly & with a little luck. look for much promise in the first half & real performance in the second half of the season.

I like what I see.

Tannehill @ 8 :deadhorse:

9. jw3102

jw3102 season ticket holder

Sep 4, 2010
    Maui, Hawaii
    Exactly where are you expecting the Dolphins to find this so called franchise QB in the 2012 draft? Most experts agree that even if Tannehill does become a productive QB in the NFL, it is going to take him 2-3 years sitting on the bench before he can become a viable starter in the NFL. This means that even if he works out to be as good as you and a few others on here think he will be, the Dolphins will be stuck with Moore or Garrard staring until Tannehill takes over in a few years.

I personally don't think Tannehill will ever be a quality starter in the NFL, but if I am wrong and he is drafted by the Dolphins and he does work out, it will still be another 2-3 years down the line before he will become the teams full time starter . So if your criteria for the Dolphins reaching the playoffs is them having an elite QB, they are still not going to have this type QB in 2012 and if Tannehill is this guy, it probably won't be until 2015 before he develops into a productive QB in the NFL.

I appreciate your positive view of the team but I just see a lot more major holes on this team than you do. I have stated for weeks that I don't see the Dolphins being better than 6-10 in 2012 and unless Ireland gets 2 or 3 impact players in this years draft, I just don't see the Dolphins improving over their results from last season.

10. Pro-X

Pro-X End Game Club Member

Dec 5, 2007
    For those who remember, when we got Marino was he seen as a starter (franchise qb) when we drafted him? He came in what the end of that 1st season. I never really followed the draft back then as I do now. I think we should get Tannehill (imo) got to take a chance, if not we will be in the same boat for a long time, maybe Tanny can do the same unless we go for it, we will never know, again imo...

11. hammer

hammer New Member

Sep 13, 2011
    Beavercreek Ohio
    I agree the gap between Weeden and Tannehill is not much but Foles? There's no way that dude runs the WCO. His feet are like cement blocks.

MAFishFan likes this.
  12. PhinsRDbest

PhinsRDbest Transform and Transcend

Jan 5, 2010
    the next dimension
    Simple is fine, if you like 6 wins.

13. MrClean

MrClean Inglourious Basterd Club Member

Carey is no longer on the team, and the odds are excellent that he is never coming back.

Ozzy likes this.
  14. Hellion

Hellion Crash Club Member

Dec 4, 2007
    Here and there
    Marino was viewed as one of if not the most talented QB comming out, he started 6 games into the season. And yes he was considered a starter and franchise QB. Shula drooled over the fact he was dropping and we had a shot at him. He guided Miami to the playoffs and was voted to the pro bowl.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dan_Marino

As far as this thread goes,,it's an exercise in Niave

Larryfinfan and Pro-X like this.
  15. Larryfinfan

Yes...he was. The draft process and following has changed drastically since he was drafted, but he was considered an elite QB. The passing game was just coming back into vogue at that time. His skill set and athleticism changed the flow of football. Shula was beside himself when Marino fell to him, and it was because of rumors of marijuana use that he fell...probably started by Shula, hoping he'd fall to us...lol. What you have to remember, again, is that the draft process and communication (internet and need for instant gratification to all fans) has dramatically affected the entire scouting process...

The answer to your question is an emphatic "YES" he was considered the heir apparent. Also remember in those days, before FA as we now know it, players got drafted and pretty much stayed with those teams. QBs were permitted to sit and learn how the game was played before being anointed. Marino changed that perception...

Pro-X likes this.
  16. pumpdogs

pumpdogs Well-Known Member

Sep 22, 2009
    delaware
    I agree we need a franchise qb but tannehill is going to sit at least 1 full season maybe two if we draft him.Weeden is more ready to step in and play alot sooner.This team needs a pass rusher,right tackle,safety,and where are the playmakers on offence?
    Hartline and bess are limited physically,and wallace,clay,gates are unknowns at this point.

17. dsteve

dsteve Banned

Sep 26, 2011
    this is why dolphin fans (south florida fans in general) are viewed a morons. This dolphins team is horrible. They have no talent anywhere other than wake, long and pouncey. Every other position is a hole/question mark or a complete joke. (wrs/te) Honestly if we won 6 games I'd be impressed with our coaching.

the only teams worse than us? colts, vikes, cardinals and maybe the browns who beat us last year. Just because you coached your daughters flag football team doesn't make you great judge of whos who in the NFL.

18. the 23rd

the 23rd a.k.a. Rio

Apr 20, 2009
    Tampa Area
    I see talent on offense, defense & special teams:

basically, I think the team is set,
    we have the talent to coach our offense into a formidable unit

1) Clay will play TE in this West Coast offense opposite Fasano
    2) Gates, Hartline, Wallace & Bess @ WR provide size, speed & go-to potential
    3) Long, Incognito, Pouncey, Jerry, Murtha (Garner/Carey) provide the makings of an excellent OL. (I believe Carey will return under a new contract)
    4) Bush & Thomas @ RB are more than adequate
    5) Moore & Gerrard @ QB allow us to begin the season competently.

with good coaching & an excellent pre-season, I see no reason why we can't compete with Moore @ QB or even make the post-season.
    Ryan Tannehill will probably take a year or so to develop into the Franchise QB we need to begin a legitimate assault on the Superbowl
    meanwhile
    I expect the development of a very competitive team. I'm sure we'll pick up piece or two in the draft that can help out in 2012.
    we are not rebuilding, the only real need is for a Franchise QB to develop. everything else is a matter of up-grade. enjoy the draft!

2012 is the Year of the Coach!:yes:

19. BuckeyeKing

BuckeyeKing Wolves DYNASTY!!!!

Dec 6, 2007
    Are you a robot? You keep repeating yourself and not really replying to anything being added.

DHPVW, Steve-Mo and Alex44 like this.
  20. Ozzy

Ozzy Premium Member Luxury Box

So tell us where your from Obi-Wan?

21. dsteve

dsteve Banned

Sep 26, 2011
    south florida, as I am posting on a miami dolphins message board.

our fan base for just about every sport is seen as fair weather fans/stupid.

22. the 23rd

the 23rd a.k.a. Rio

Apr 20, 2009
    Tampa Area
    I can assure you there are very few fools or "fair weather friends" on this board & stupid is a very ugly word. :yes:

23. Fin-Omenal

Fin-Omenal Initiated

Mar 25, 2008
    Before your banned forever just know that in general what your saying does make alot of sense in most cases. But when talking Jeff Ireland I would trust just about any off the street fan besides that moron.

24. BuckeyeKing

Dec 6, 2007
    Not when those fans are clamoring for Tannehill at 8.

25. Fin-Omenal

Fin-Omenal Initiated

Mar 25, 2008
    The only 2 Qbs I think can lead a team to championships in this draft will be gone by the 3rd pick. The others? Meh

jw3102 likes this.
  26. the 23rd

the 23rd a.k.a. Rio

Apr 20, 2009
    Tampa Area
    BuckeyeKing & newguy:
    why I thought that was what fans were supposed to do...
    1) enthusiastically follow & support their team
    2) form opinions that are meaningless & debate them
    3) maintain a brotherhood through kindness & respect for discourse
    but what do I know? I'm just a stupid fan.

27. Alex44

Alex44 Boshosaurus Rex

Jan 7, 2008
    Hollywood, Florida
    In like 6 threads a week ago he kept posting the same nonsense about how he enjoys hockey and boxing is a great sport.

Steve-Mo likes this.
  28. BuckeyeKing

Dec 6, 2007
    1. I support my team but I'm not going to stick my head in the sand and pretend everything is all right with this team because its not.
    2.I don't see much debate with you other than you reposting your original comment. I want to see you debate but I can't say I see it.
    3.Sorry if I came off rude its not my intention. I never said you were a stupid fan that user was being a jackass.

29. Fin-Omenal

Fin-Omenal Initiated

Mar 25, 2008
    Typical Buckeye fan.....A--HOLE!!

BuckeyeKing likes this.
  30. DOLFANMIKE

DOLFANMIKE FOOTBALL COACH 32 YEARS Luxury Box

Mar 22, 2008
    California
    Blackmon at #8

PSG and Ozzy like this.
  31. BuckeyeKing

Dec 6, 2007
    If he made it to 8 I'd do it unless someone offered a nice sum to move up.

32. Makados10

Makados10 Active Member

Apr 24, 2010
    I disagree that we have the talent on offense to make into a formidable unit and will see most of our offensive draft players on the offensive side of the board. Maybe a defense player or two based on BPA but we're going to be drafting mostly on offense IMO.

33. Ozzy

LOL, just because you're posting on a Miami Dolphins message board does not mean you're from South Florida! That is why I asked.

You should go around a few teams message boards!! I'm quite sure you will find that the Miami Dolphins message boards have some of the most respectfull, and intelligent posters of them all! Surely one of the tops!

As for South Florida sports fans being stupid. You should try using capitol letters to begin your sentences. Not that I'm trying to, or even worthy of, being the grammer police but you're not helping your own argument!

34. dsteve

dsteve Banned

Sep 26, 2011
    it's a message board and my post was two sentences. really?

and yeah you're not the brightest when it comes to sports knowledge when you consider our wrs good. Being a fan of a team doesn't mean you should just RA RA RA everything they do. This dolphins team is by far one of the worst in the league but we're rebuilding.

35. BuckeyeKing

Dec 6, 2007
    If we were rebuilding Ireland would have been fired.

36. Fin-Omenal

Fin-Omenal Initiated

Mar 25, 2008
    Whoa, whoa...we arent exactly "reloading".

This team is rebuilding, the WRs are NOT even average as a whole, the defense is solid but has many holes, we have no QB, no WR, No RT, not deep at all at LB, big questions at S, and a pair of CBs we are still hoping take their games up a notch.

I dont know if South Floridians are this or that but IMO this team is rebuilding and has been for a long *** time, and the rebuilding PLAN Ireland has drove into Ross's head is why the idiot is letting the idiot keep his job.

37. Ozzy

Sorry man but YOU, telling people they might not be too bright, might not be a good idea!

I was just pointing out that calling a fanbase stupid like you did (your typing), did not show much edumacation...

38. BuckeyeKing

Dec 6, 2007
    Not disputing that but if we were really rebuilding we would have a new GM and we don't. Offense is rebuilding no doubt about that but on the defense a few tweaks and were good to go.

39. Ozzy

He can only get away with it for so long though. Soon enough, he'll have to take out adds across the country to fill some of the seats if it gets any worse. South Floridians love rooting for a winner as much or more than anyone.

40. dsteve

dsteve Banned

Sep 26, 2011
    i agree with buckeye, ireland should have been gone too but that doesnt change the fact we are rebuilding. the defense needs more than a few tweaks. two safties, a couple corners, another edge rusher...