1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Aaron Kampman Release - Philbin/Sherman Connections

Discussion in 'Miami Dolphins Forum' started by ckparrothead, Jun 7, 2012.

1. ckparrothead

ckparrothead Draft Forum Moderator Luxury Box

Dec 1, 2007
    Aaron Kampman was just released by the Jacksonville Jaguars.

I've been talking about the Dolphins' defensive end position and how I am unhappy with it, given the defense they're set to play. I don't like Jared Odrick much at Left End in this new defense. It's just not a position I think he's meant for. I like him as a player for sure. But I don't know that he's going to be able to play Left End in the base defense because like as not, he's going to have to pass rush from that spot. This is a passing league. It's not like he's only showing up there only for run plays. He's going to be out there for both and I'm just not sure I see it.

Kampman has a LOT of health issues. A torn left ACL ended his 2009 season. He came back pretty well in Jacksonville and played WELL. I just watched his game against Doug Free in 2010, and even first year back from an ACL injury he was good. But then he tore the ACL in his RIGHT knee midway through 2010. He had several setbacks trying to come back in 2011, including hamstring injuries, and the Jags just put him on injured reserve.

He was at Iowa while Philbin was there from 1999 to 2001. He was drafted in 2002 by Mike Sherman in Green Bay. He was allowed to walk in free agency (I believe) because the Packers had switched to a 3-4 defense and Kampman was not well suited for it. He gave it the ole college try in 2009, and actually acquitted himself surprisingly well I thought before tearing his ACL, but with the injury and with it being obvious the guy wasn't meant for the new style of defense, they let him go.

Andrew Brandt who was in Green Bay as a cap and contract guy, said Kampman was an "important player in GB for many years - highest character, raised work ethic of entire DL group."

So, you can bet that Joe Philbin and Mike Sherman both have high opinions on the guy.

The Dolphins only have three true defensive ends and all of them are small guys. Cam Wake is 6'3" and 250 lbs. Olivier Vernon is 6'2" and 261 lbs. Jamaal Westerman is 6'3" and 257 lbs. This is a very limited group. Vernon has POTENTIAL to develop into a pass rusher but he was by no means a proven, productive pass rusher at Miami. I thought he should be used as a 1st/2nd down run defender, then reduce inside to face a guard on 3rd down. The Dolphins seem to intend that he comes in on 3rd downs as an outside rusher as a rookie. I don't like that. Meanwhile Westerman is not really a pass rusher at all.

Terrance Knighton says: "Aaron Kampman is THE best teammate I ever had. Hate to see him go."

Austen Lane says: "Sad to see Kampman go. I'm grateful for the things he taught me on the field but more importantly about life. I wish him the best of luck!"

2. NorFlaFin

NorFlaFin Active Member

Interesting pickup but is he healthy enough to play 16 games?

Maybe a sign and stash on IR until midseason?

3. ckparrothead

Dec 1, 2007
    I don't think you can do that, can you? Did they pass a new rule where you can come off IR at midseason?

4. Dol-Fan Dupree

Dol-Fan Dupree Tank? Who is Tank? I am Guy Incognito.

Dec 11, 2007
    Here is what I found about IR

5. slickj101

slickj101 Is Water

Dec 21, 2007
    NY
    He's toast. Already shown he can't stay healthy and hasn't been able to recover even after his latest "small procedure."

If we're determined to throw away money then I'd rather we give it to Jake Scott.

MrClean likes this.
  6. Boik14

Boik14 Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Nov 28, 2007
    New York
    100% on board with it. I think you need pressure guys on the ends and I am not convinced Odrick can be a pressure player. Sign Kampman, slide Odrick back inside.

Wake-Kampman and Westerman-Vernon as backups gives you good depth and skill on the outside and helps you inside with Soliai/Starks/Odrick rotation. Flip McDaniel for a pick...Maybe Pitt for instance will want a guy who can play NT.

7. padre31

padre31 Premium Member Luxury Box

Nov 22, 2007
    inching to 100k posts
    i'd prefer to roll the dice on Matt Roth.

8. Da 'Fins

Da 'Fins Season Ticket Holder Staff Member Club Member

Dec 19, 2007
    Birmingham, AL
    Minimum salary and has to make the team? And, he'd probably see Miami as a place he might have a good shot at competing.

9. Boik14

Boik14 Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Nov 28, 2007
    New York
    I would not.

10. Ohio Fanatic

Ohio Fanatic Twuaddle or bust Club Member

Nov 26, 2007
    Concord, MA
    matt roth is just buying one spare tire for another. rather have Kampman if we're going this route.

CK, if you don't like Odrick at left DE, where do you see him getting all his playing time at?

11. ckparrothead

Dec 1, 2007
    That's exactly where he's getting his playing time but I don't really like it. I'd rather he be the third DT and guy that rotates heavily with Soliai and Starks, particularly Starks on base downs so they can focus on keeping Starks in on pass downs where he's really good.

Boik14 likes this.
  12. Finfangirl

Finfangirl Season Ticket Holder Luxury Box

Dec 8, 2007
    Bay Area, Ca
    Just a note, You'll never ever see Matt Roth even remotely close to davie let alone the dolphins facility. Talk about burning a bridge. As long as jeff ireland is around consider Matt Roth dead.

13. ckparrothead

Dec 1, 2007
    We ever find out the real story of what happened there?

14. I'm fine with them picking him up for the veteran minimum.

Sent from the depths of hell
    using Tapatalk.

15. CaribPhin

CaribPhin Guest

He might not be fine with that.

16. Disgustipate

Disgustipate Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Nov 25, 2007
    I'd be ok with them picking up Kampman, but I don't think they're in bad shape. We could certainly do worse. We're not likely to have dominant book-ends, but it isn't that dire.

I don't think Odrick as a DE in a base package is all that wacky. Last year he was primarily a Nickel edge rusher, which is way more of a stretch and he did pretty well in that regard. We don't even know what the defense will be, it's quite possible he's playing a technique that puts him over a tackle in the base defense just like a 3-4 DE.

CWBIII likes this.
  17. Jaj

Jaj Registered

Mar 23, 2008
    Los Angeles
    I would expect the five technique to be his best use if he's all the way out there. It's a tough position to play and the last guy I've really seen play it well would be Kevin Carter in the old hybrid. Correct me if I'm wrong but wasn't Traylor also two-gapped in that defense over the C or was he exactly where Soliai will be in this one.