1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Jerry Jones, Charley Casserly and Gil Brandt come to defense of Ireland and Ross

Discussion in 'Miami Dolphins Forum' started by Onehondo, Apr 6, 2012.

1. MrClean

MrClean Inglourious Basterd Club Member

He said ignorance. "Ignorant" is not a synonym of "stupid"
    Synonyms of ignorant would include: unaware, uninformed, ill-informed, unfamiliar, oblivious, unconscious, unknowing, unwitting, unenlightened, in the dark, inexperienced, illiterate.

Synonyms of stupid would include: unintelligent, dull, brainless, obtuse, witless.

jsizzle and ToddsPhins like this.
  2. Clipse

Clipse mediocrity sucks

Sep 27, 2009
    Roanoke, Virginia
    That's fine. Takes real ignorance to use scoring defense as the end all be all statistic. Top 10 defenses aren't among the worst at taking the ball away and allow decent QB's to rip them to shreds.

3. Clipse

Clipse mediocrity sucks

Sep 27, 2009
    Roanoke, Virginia
    The roster is devoid of talent. That's on Ireland, period.

4. Clipse

Clipse mediocrity sucks

Sep 27, 2009
    Roanoke, Virginia
    Still waiting on the post that tells me how Ireland is a good GM that deserves his job. There's enough of Ireland's relatives in here to come up with something, anything. Right?

5. Fin D

Fin D Sigh

Nov 27, 2007
    It has been explained to you countless times. We don't think Ireland had the say you swear he did and have provided no evidence of. All you do with that is herp derp and piss yourself. Its like you have jackass Tourette's. You basically **** all over the basic concept of a employer/employee relationship. I'm guessing its because you've never had a job. Its tiresome and old.

But have your opinion its your right. It is our right to judge your opinion to be effing stupid however since you can't back it up with anything. Nothing.

Prove right here and now, Ireland did whatever he wanted. Do it. Right now. Be a man.

6. Anonymous

Anonymous Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Jul 5, 2009
    So the Steelers have a mediocre defense?

jsizzle likes this.
  7. Anonymous

Jul 5, 2009
    That's been pretty much proven wrong..

jsizzle likes this.
  8. Alex44

Alex44 Boshosaurus Rex

Jan 7, 2008
    Hollywood, Florida
    Let me explain this...you are the minority in this thread. The minority has to prove their view point. When it was first discovered that the Earth wasn't the center of the universe the reasoning wasn't "Prove to me that it is"

jsizzle likes this.
  9. ToddsPhins

ToddsPhins Banned

Mar 15, 2009
    It's on the players for showing up out of shape after an offseason where coach-player contact was prohibited; however, after they got into playing shape, the defense was one of the best in the league for the final 10 or so games, and there wasn't a shortage of takeaways during that time.

Final 9 games: 15 takeaways, 16.2 ppg. Those numbers are good for 3rd in scoring and tied for 13th in turnovers created.

**Stats from the last 9 games of this so called "ripped to shreds passing defense" (and how they would rank compared to the rest of the league)

70.1 QBR (would rank 4th)
    57.5% completions (tied for 8th)
    10 TD (6th)
    14 INT (4th)

you were saying?

jsizzle and MrClean like this.
  10. ToddsPhins

ToddsPhins Banned

Mar 15, 2009
    What's funny is you think you're riling us up with this perpetuous drivel, when all we're doing is continuing to laugh at your act of ignorance. :lol:

If you want "action" to be taken, then get off your lazy butt and PROVE why any action should be taken.

jsizzle and MrClean like this.
  11. jdang307

jdang307 Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Nov 29, 2007
    San Diego
    It'd be interesting to see who is supporting Mr. Ireland now, if they were calling for his firing before Ross retained him.

I don't support Ireland, but I root for the Dolphins. I hope we go 16-0 and win the Super Bowl.

Doesnt' mean I have to like, or support keeping Ireland. He's here, he's now, let's see what he does.

jsizzle, MonstBlitz and ToddsPhins like this.
  12. Alex44

Alex44 Boshosaurus Rex

Jan 7, 2008
    Hollywood, Florida
    There is a difference between getting on your knees and giving Ireland fellatio and taking a wait and see attitude because you don't believe he has had time to show what he is really made of as a GM.

13. ToddsPhins

ToddsPhins Banned

Mar 15, 2009
    exactly. He's not going anywhere with the draft around the corner and a season with new coaches to follow, so there's no sense to clamor on about Ireland's future right now.

jsizzle likes this.
  14. Laces Out

Laces Out Well-Known Member

Aug 4, 2011
    Omaha, Ne
    R&R, I want you to cite 5 moves that a GM makes that were truly head scratchers. Could be picks, could be FA signings, could be any move a GA makes. Stop grading a GM on on the field performance as he has ZERO control over motivation. What he has control over is hiring and firings, draft choices, trades, contracts(to an extent) and talent evaluation. Name me some bad moves like this and we can continue this discussion. Or better yet show me a GM that hits home runs with EVERY move they do, or stop already.

jsizzle and Fin D like this.
  15. ToddsPhins

ToddsPhins Banned

Mar 15, 2009
    Yup.
    Added: There are plenty of things this organization has done the past 4 years that I've shaken my head at, but until I know who was precisely at fault, I'm not going to randomly blame someone just to irrationally put a face on it. The only facts I'm aware of relate to Parcells, Henning, and Sparano, so until more evidence is brought forth, those 3 receive the brunt of my blame. If actual facts arise about Ireland, too, then I'll lump him in with them. Until that happens (if it ever does so), I'll continue to believe that he was our "GM in training" under Bill Parcells while acting in charge of CFL & NCAA scouting based on Parcells' blueprint.

IMO it's quite silly to blame the assistant for his boss's failures. But hey, I guess you can make any argument when you use his GM "title" literally rather than what it really was- a loophole to steal him away from the Cowboys.

jsizzle likes this.
  16. ToddsPhins

ToddsPhins Banned

Mar 15, 2009
    Firstly, I'd like him to tell me EXACTLY which moves where Ireland's and which were Parcells'.

Secondly, out of Ireland's moves, I'd like to know EXACTLY which ones were moves Ireland would've made absent Parcells' influence (as opposed to moves/draft picks/signings Ireland made based on Parcells' specific vision and blueprint for the team).

For some reason he never answers this. So either he's being lazy or the answers don't exist.

jsizzle likes this.
  17. MonstBlitz

MonstBlitz Nobody's Fart Catcher

Jan 14, 2008
    Hornell, NY
    This thread is so utterly and completely stupid. "I'm right." "No, I'm right." "Prove it." "No, you prove it."

The fact is, nobody knows for sure at this point whether there's something to this "vision" of Ireland's or if he's just doing a piss poor job of being an NFL GM. Maybe the truth is somewhere in the middle. To sit here claiming the burden lies more with one side or another is ridiculous and some of you are making yourself look like real clowns. Some of us are dissatisfied with the job Ireland has done thus far. And that's fair given the results. Some of you still support the guy, and that's fair given he's still a member of the Miami Dolphins and he'll have at least one more draft to show what he can do for this team.

Nobody is going to change anybody's mind. Let's revisit after the draft. And then again after the season.

18. Fin D

Fin D Sigh

Nov 27, 2007
    No dammit.

We are the ones saying we don't know at this point. People like you and R&R are the ones saying definitely Ireland blows and anyone who doesn't think that way is an Ireland lover. If you're finally coming around to the logic side then fine welcome aboard, but don't sit here and say we are the ones being ridiculous, when we are the ones who are being logical.

ToddsPhins and jsizzle like this.
  19. MonstBlitz

Jan 14, 2008
    Hornell, NY
    My opinion on Ireland has been consistent. I think he's done an overall piss poor job of being a GM to this point. But I'm willing to wait and see what happens in the draft before passing final judgement. But anytime I or anyone else expresses my displeasure with him, you take issue and make statements hinting that he hasn't actually been a GM up until this point. Then scream about burden of proof and other such nonsense. Don't act like you're just sitting around being completely objective about the guy when any tiny criticism gets your underpant thoroughly bunched.

For the record, if you check what I posted I said both sides look ridiculous at this point.

20. Lloyd Heilbrunn

Lloyd Heilbrunn Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Sep 13, 2011
    Jupiter, Fl.
    I'm curious, if Ireland gets a pass because Parcells had last say, then why did Tony get fired when he did well the only year in 4 that Parcells actually got him a QB??

21. Clipse

Clipse mediocrity sucks

Sep 27, 2009
    Roanoke, Virginia
    No. They had the number one scoring defense, which was a whole 5 points better than Miami's defense. Compare that to Miami being 5 points away from 25th. No comparison. They were also top 5 in most passing defense statistics. They were however, not as good as we're used to seeing at taking the ball away. They were terrible in that regard. And it cost them against the pitiful offense of the Broncos in the playoffs.

22. Clipse

Clipse mediocrity sucks

Sep 27, 2009
    Roanoke, Virginia
    I can't prove which moves were all Ireland's just like you and the rest of Ireland's blind faithers can't prove why he's a good GM. I can prove that whatever it was he was doing while GM, was absolutely useless. 7-9, 7-9, and 6-10. I can prove that so far, his moves that he made without Parcells, have sucked, aside from Pouncey. Daniel Thomas was awful last year. Gates, 2 catches. Charles Clay had a decent year. Not bad for a 6th rounder. I can't name a single other draft pick off the top of my head. Reggie Bush was a great move. That's about it.

23. Clipse

Clipse mediocrity sucks

Sep 27, 2009
    Roanoke, Virginia
    How can you not know? 3 straight losing seasons. His GM skills have shown to be non-existant on the field. That's all I care about. There had to be somebody out there who hasn't been completely useless in his time as an NFL GM.

24. Clipse

Clipse mediocrity sucks

Sep 27, 2009
    Roanoke, Virginia
    It is good that we've come to the conclusion that Ireland is not a good GM that deserves his job as of right now. We'll just pray that this changes this season. Most of you will be genuinely surprised though when as expected, it doesn't.

25. Stringer Bell

Stringer Bell Post Hard, Post Often Club Member

Mar 22, 2008
    How would anyone be surprised? You could say anyone that works in the NFL is bad, and 90% of the time you'll be right. The reality is that there are 3-4 quality organizations out there at most. Unless you want to replace Ireland with Ted Thompson, Jerry Reese, Bill Belichick, Newsome, or the Rooney family, I'm not sure how anyone can assume replacing Ireland will benefit the organization.

ToddsPhins likes this.
  26. MonstBlitz

Jan 14, 2008
    Hornell, NY
    There's some truth to this. In the end, every season 97% of teams are going to fail at their goal. Even most of the good ones. But does that mean you don't try to upgrade positions of weakness? It shouldn't, in my opinion. Ireland's fate with the Dolphins should be hinged to how he addresses the QB situation in the upcoming draft. If he doesn't even attempt to address the position, like last year's draft, that's a failure on his part. If the team has another sub par season do to mediocre QB play, Ireland needs to be held accountable.

27. ToddsPhins

ToddsPhins Banned

Mar 15, 2009
    What's ridiculous is that you're taking the stance many of us in this thread have taken and stayed fast to for quite some time (I highlighted it in bold above), but at the same time you're getting all high and mighty by insulting everyone else for holding this same objective mentality. Actually, you're insulting both sides of the argument, but then you're telling us you're on one of the sides you're insulting. You make no sense.

Secondly, there's only one side of this debate who's saying "I'm right.", and that's the side saying he undeniably needs to be fired. The other side is NOT saying "we're right"; we've repeatedly said we're reserving judgment for a later date until we have more facts to make a more informed decision, but somehow you ignorantly refuse to accept this and instead label us as "Ireland supporters". Then throw in a your little clown comment from the peanut gallery, which is rich coming from one of the biggest clowns here (reference your avatar).

The only reason the "Prove it" stuff is getting stupid is b/c the person who wants action taken against Ireland has simply yet to prove via concrete and pertinent evidence why he deserves to be fired. It's quite simple; if someone is gonna beat his chest and run his yapper as loud as R&R is doing, then either throw some facts behind it or shut up.

28. ToddsPhins

ToddsPhins Banned

Mar 15, 2009
    Respectfully, it means little what Tony did way back in 2008 vs the most cream puff of schedules a team could ask for.
    Who was the team Miami got that QB from? It seems they didn't have a problem making 2 straight AFC Champ games without his services. Just sayin.

29. Clipse

Clipse mediocrity sucks

Sep 27, 2009
    Roanoke, Virginia
    7-9
    7-9
    6-10

I know for many of you mediocrity is a good thing, but this is all the proof that needs to be stated.

30. ToddsPhins

ToddsPhins Banned

Mar 15, 2009
    Exactly, you can't. Why do we have to prove he's a good GM when we're not saying he is or isn't one? But like my momma always told me "Ignance is ignance, no sense arguin with it".

7-9, 7-9, 6-10 is simply a correlation. There's absolutely no causation there.

How did Burnett play once he got settled into a new defense thanks to a shortened offseason? Did the defense begin creating more plays than it did with Crowder?
    How did Matt Moore play compared to the rest of the guys available? Did he exceed your expectations?
    Did Daboll seem like an improvement over Henning? In my eyes he sure as heck did.

So you liked the Reggie Bush signing, and the drafting of Clay and Pouncey. That's 2 of our 4 picks through 6 rounds. What about Jimmy Wilson? Was he a 7th round find? You didn't like the Gates pick (a guy who many thought had 2nd round potential and greater upside than Johnny Knox but we got in the 4th round)? Do you understand that he's from a small school and as such would likely require a few years of developing and growing accustomed to the faster game speed? Do you also understand that Daniel Thomas needs some developing as well since he was more raw at the position than most?

By my accounts, not one of his 2011 moves has proven to be a bust, and the ones with question marks still have the potential to turn out good. Judging a player as bust or success after his rookie year is really quite silly and unfair b/c that's not the standard the NFL holds.

MrClean likes this.
  31. ToddsPhins

ToddsPhins Banned

Mar 15, 2009
    Who's your favorite Dolphin player? Is there anyone on this team you like and think is an asset?

32. Stringer Bell

Mar 22, 2008
    Accountable for what? If he passes on a legitimate QB, then he deserves to be held accountable. If none of the QBs available turn into legitimate ones, then surely you can't blame him for not taking an average QB.

Of all the QBs available to Ireland last year, it looks like the one he ended up with (Moore) was the best option.

ToddsPhins likes this.
  33. Anonymous

Jul 5, 2009
    That makes no sense. Both teams were top 10 in scoring defense. Both teams had trouble taking the ball away. One team was good against the pass, the other team was average. So, one is great and the other is mediocre?

I don't agree. This is a top 10 defense just like the Steelers.

34. Anonymous

Jul 5, 2009
    I don't see how a defense that is ranked top 10 in the NFL in points allowed is mediocre. They were average against the pass, but in the end they did their job. They kept opponents from scoring.

If you're going to say they didn't cause turnovers so they're mediocre, don't turn around and say a team that caused less turnovers isn't mediocre. Be fair. If this is a mediocre defense, so is Pittsburgh's. If Pittsburgh's defense isn't mediocre, then this defense isn't.

35. MonstBlitz

Jan 14, 2008
    Hornell, NY
    If you can't discuss things without personal attacks, I'm not going to pay any attention to what you have to say.

36. Clipse

Clipse mediocrity sucks

Sep 27, 2009
    Roanoke, Virginia
    The difference between the 2 teams scoring defense was huge, was my point. The 5 point difference between the Dolphins and Steelers, was the same difference between Miami being 25th in scoring defense. There's no comparison between the 2.

37. MonstBlitz

Jan 14, 2008
    Hornell, NY
    Andy Dalton led his team to the playoffs as a rookie.

38. Anonymous

Jul 5, 2009
    Ok. They were better. But they didn't take away the ball. According to your logic, they're mediocre.

39. Stringer Bell

Mar 22, 2008
    Andy Dalton QBR: 80

Matt Moore QBR: 87

40. MonstBlitz

Jan 14, 2008
    Hornell, NY
    Me personally, the fact that Andy Dalton did what he did as a rookie more than makes up for the difference in QBR. Also considering Matt Moore's career rating is approx. 77, I like the upside of the rookie.