1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Everything Joe Philbin Told the Media

Discussion in 'Miami Dolphins Forum' started by Dol-Fan Dupree, Mar 27, 2012.

1. Dol-Fan Dupree

Dol-Fan Dupree Tank? Who is Tank? I am Guy Incognito.

Dec 11, 2007
    http://miamiherald.typepad.com/dolphins_in_depth/2012/03/everything-joe-philbin-told-the-media.html

Also DUH, it is all coach speak. It is really freaking long

Here is what he said about free agency

2. Alex44

Alex44 Boshosaurus Rex

Jan 7, 2008
    Hollywood, Florida
    Matt Moore (this goes for Garrard too if he wins the job somehow) is going to shock a lot of people this season with his play in this system, especially if we upgrade the line.

Bulldog and RevRick like this.
  3. Yetanotherfan

Yetanotherfan Season Ticket Holder

Mar 23, 2008
    Gonna reserve that statement till after the draft Alex. As of now, he has no one of consequence to throw to. Bess, hartline, gates are not helping anyone except maybe brady :yes:. I get where your coming from though.

4. Yetanotherfan

Yetanotherfan Season Ticket Holder

Mar 23, 2008
    I was hoping he would compete at safety. That's where he made plays if I recall. Dude got exposed by an aging Boldin when he was at corner I believe.

5. 54Fins

54Fins "In Gase we trust"

Nov 29, 2007
    over there
    Hope so. That would be a wonderful surprise if it happens.

6. 54Fins

54Fins "In Gase we trust"

Nov 29, 2007
    over there
    :yes:

Sleepy likes this.
  7. Rouk

Rouk Well-Known Member

Jul 31, 2011
    Hollywood, Florida
    so we wanted Flynn and he said no thanks sounds about right

8. Alex13

Alex13 Tua Time !!! Club Member

Dec 21, 2007
    Berlin,Germany
    we said no thanks to his asking price

ToddsPhins likes this.
  9. SeanP

SeanP Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Aug 24, 2009
    Deltona FL
    All the stuff I've read that has slowly come out after the big media to-do on this has suggested that Miami wasn't looking for Flynn as a set starter. They wanted to have him compete with Moore and didn't feel he was the final answer at QB. I'm personally A-OK with that if that's what your talent eval suggest. No sense at throwing money at him just because the fan base wants the QB hunt solved today if you don't feel like he's the guy.

10. Alex44

Alex44 Boshosaurus Rex

Jan 7, 2008
    Hollywood, Florida
    Even though I'm hoping we add some more offensive weapons (Fleener at TE would be better than any WR not named Blackmon in my opinion) I think the beauty of the style of offense Philbin runs is that the ability to get open quickly is more important than the ability to get open the way you would in a more vertical based offense like what we ran last season (or tried to anyway). Bess and Hartline could be great #2 and #3 targets in this system so if we can add just one more receiving threat I think we can be pretty successful.

11. MikeHoncho

MikeHoncho -=| Censored |=-

Nov 13, 2009
    Your mouth to God's ears.

12. Alex44

Alex44 Boshosaurus Rex

Jan 7, 2008
    Hollywood, Florida

My mouth to my ears?

KIDDING. Before anyone gets offended :lol:

13. MikeHoncho

MikeHoncho -=| Censored |=-

Nov 13, 2009
    Lips

14. Rocky Raccoon

Rocky Raccoon Greasepaint Ghost Staff Member

Dec 2, 2007
    Jersey
    I love listening to Philbin talk. The man just knows what he's talking about. Very confident, passionate and calm. Love it.

15. smahtaz

smahtaz Pimpin Ain't Easy

Why would Flynn come here when he can compete against T Jackson for a starting job for more money?

ToddsPhins likes this.
  16. ToddsPhins

ToddsPhins Banned

Mar 15, 2009
    We wouldn't have brought him in if we didn't "want him" to some extent. To clarify, being "aggressive" doesn't mean "we think he's the answer". A team can be aggressive in bringing in a player they feel will compete with a current player for the starting job, realizing that any upgrade is still an upgrade especially at the most important position.

The contract and its duration is a better representation of how he was perceived. The Seahawks were aggressive enough to offer Flynn a mild 3 year $28.0M contract, but that's not to be confused with the same "aggressiveness" involved with either Denver paying 98.0M for Manning or Arizona paying 63.0M + Cromartie + 2nd rounder for Kolb.

Ohio Fanatic and siciliansith like this.
  17. ToddsPhins

ToddsPhins Banned

Mar 15, 2009
    What's it say about Flynn if he hypothetically did choose the Seahawks b/c he believed it his best chance to start?

Perhaps that's why Philbin is deflecting this onto Flynn with the "ask Flynn why he chose Seattle" comment. If Flynn chose Seattle for this reason (which he'd be dumb to admit to), then it's possible to deduce his meeting in Miami led him to believe he'd have greater competition from Moore and might not be readily handed the starting job in Miami.

18. RevRick

RevRick Long Haired Leaping Gnome Club Member

Nov 25, 2007
    Thomasville, GA
    And you really expect him to lay out for everyone exactly what happens in planning sessions, what their thoughts are about who they wish to pick up in free agency and in the draft, and fully explicate every reason they did not do what the majority of the wannabe GM's on the board absolutely knew/know/have known what the correct moves are. Try talking to someone who has an actual high level security clearance - what you would get for answers, if they chose to speak and not just stare at you like you are a bug on a fly swatter, is a terse "No comment."

19. RevRick

RevRick Long Haired Leaping Gnome Club Member

Nov 25, 2007
    Thomasville, GA
    If he competes at all..
    "C'mon, Matt. You can beat this guy out. Don't sweat it. And, oh, don't say anything about this!"

20. Bulldog

Bulldog New Member

Mar 13, 2012
    You may have hit the nail on the head! I've been watching a lot of tape (not coaches tape of course, but just past games that Moore played in) and he's impressed me a lot more than I thought he would. I was so over lst season by the time he started playing that I really didn't give him a fair chance. I think with the right system and an oline upgrade he can carry us pretty far. However, I would still like to see this FO draft a QB that they like, not just because the fans say so, and only if they like the guy.

As to the OP, it made me smile from ear to ear when Philbin said that oline was a major concern for him. The past few years we've had different people at every position playing on the line and the rotating all season long was just stupid IMO. Hopefully he can get some good players, set them in and let them go.

21. PhinsRDbest

PhinsRDbest Transform and Transcend

Jan 5, 2010
    the next dimension
    Wow, Clemons, Jones, or Culver at the safety positions. It's gonna be a rough season back there. Also, the highest paid guy back there is the Nickel CB? I hope they plan to play Davis on the slot wr.

22. PhinsRDbest

PhinsRDbest Transform and Transcend

Jan 5, 2010
    the next dimension
    I hope they got one for the price they paid. Kinda of a drag though, thought we had the FS position locked up with Marshall. Now both safety positions are ?'s. But we can be overly optimistic and say Clemons and Jones will both take a step up. I'm trying to be less pessimistic about this team.

23. smahtaz

smahtaz Pimpin Ain't Easy

I don't know. Flynn had a great game against Detroit. Kurt Warner's raved about Moore 2 or 3 weeks down the stretch on NFL Network.

No free rides.

24. Aquafin

Aquafin New Member

Jun 16, 2011
    the poor house
    A lot of dolphin fans are going to have to learn that we wont be winning this next season if Girrard or Matt Freakin Moore is our qb. I dont understand why most outsiders can see that these guys are nothing special but only a dolphin fan would be happy with a average qb.

I agree with the statement about our oline . I really hope Miami can get some star players thatwill excite fans into the stadium i was really excited about this next season but if Moore or jirrard are the qbs I hope we go 1- 15 and we get a good gm.

25. Alex44

Alex44 Boshosaurus Rex

Jan 7, 2008
    Hollywood, Florida
    Couldn't decide how you wanted to spell it?

26. PSG

PSG Clear Eyes. Full Hearts.

Nov 24, 2007
    North of the Border
    Man, we're gonna struggle at safety.

PhinsRDbest likes this.
  27. Alex44

Alex44 Boshosaurus Rex

Jan 7, 2008
    Hollywood, Florida
    I think Clemons will thrive if allowed to play the SS position but unless we end up with Marshall there I do believe the FS position will be an issue.

smahtaz likes this.