1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Barbecuing, Recipes, Food Thread. Drinks are Welcome Too!!

Discussion in 'Lounge' started by calphin, Aug 18, 2008.

1. Miamian

Miamian Senior Member

Dec 5, 2007
    Jerusalem, Israel
    It think I've found a citrus fruit that looks reasonably homologous to the key lime. I want to try to make a pie. I feel a little ashamed that despite having been born, growing up, and living most of my life in Miami, I've never made one of our most famous dishes.

Anyway, what is your favorite recipe?

calphin likes this.
  2. calphin

calphin deadly at 250 yards!!

this salsa is very good.

[​IMG]

3. m ino

m ino New Member

Jul 20, 2008
    something my brother-in-law did to his sausage the other day at a barbq. we use the hillshire farm types of sausage here for grilling because they are fat and plump and taste great off the grill as opposed to say a smaller richards type that goes for a gumbo or jaymbalaya. he took some tony chachere's turkey injection you can find in a bottle that comes in different flavors..we used the jalepeno butter and inject the sausage with it. you gotta really keep an i on it while cooking as the juices that leak can get your flame going but whoa nelly that stuff was the shiznik. just a little something different than plain ole sausage.

SICK, siciliansith, calphin and 2 others like this.
  4. opfinistic

opfinistic Braaaaains!

Dec 7, 2007
    Peeking in Nabo's Basement
    I made an outstanding salad last night.

You take a basic cesar salad, (romaine lettuce, croutons, grated Parmesan cheese and cesar dressing) and top it with stuffed bacon wrapped shrimp.

The shrimp are peeled and deveined, in the opening you stuff a small amount of horseradish and pickled ginger, wrap them tight with about a 1/3 of a slice of bacon and either use a toothpick or a skewer (for multiple shrimp) to hold them together. The shrimp can be cooked on a griddle, or pan fried, but I prefer doing them on an open flame char grill, this causes the fire to flare up on the bacon and cook it thoroughly, in a pan or on a griddle you will have some soft spots on the bacon that some people will not like.

For presentation I prepare the entire cesar salad in a the bowl and put it in the cooler until the shrimp are done. Once the shrimp are done I pull out the salads and top them with steaming skewers of delicious shrimp. The variety of flavors blended together make this a great salad.

SICK and calphin like this.
  5. phunwin

phunwin Happy kids are Dolfans. Luxury Box

Need some help from a BBQ pro here. Whenever I smoke ribs or pork, it comes out great, really tender, good flavor, nice smoke ring and all. But, try as I might, I can't get that nice bark on the outside. Anyone have tips?

The one thing I'm wondering is if it's the smoker I'm using. It's a propane-powered smoker (with wood chips, obviously), and I know that natural gas tends to leave water behind, so I'm wondering if that's got anything to do with it.

6. m ino

m ino New Member

Jul 20, 2008
    i don't consider myself an expert and i try to stay away from propane/gas as much as possible but a few tips here that may help.

first off a good bark is achieved by the slow and low method..it's a longer cook than alot of people want but the finished product can not be knocked.

also a good dry rub can help achieve a nice bark.

not sure of your preperation during cooking but alot of mistake is that people tend to leave their meat foiled for the duration of cooking..try unfoiling the last couple hrs of cooking if that is what you do. another helper in nice bark is the fat..alot of people tend to want to trim too much fat off the meat. too much sugars can also ruin a bark in that it will burn too easily.

hope that helps.

7. cnc66

cnc66 wiley veteran, bad spelur Luxury Box

Nov 23, 2007
    I've got a 9.5 pound sirloin tip roast in the oven.. biggest chunk of cow I have ever attempted in an oven.. Dinner at about 6:15.. letcha know!

calphin and m ino like this.
  8. Roman529

Roman529 Senior Member

Dec 16, 2007
    Colorado Springs, CO
    Great recipes guys. I barbecue two to three times a week...year round...even when snow is coming down I will be out on my porch running my grill. I go through a lot of Blue Rhino propane tanks. I think the key to barbecuing is you want to keep the flames hot, and don't flip the burgers too often....about 4-5 minutes on each side. I like to use some basic dry rubs on steaks and marinating chicken.....I visit a butcher shop and get about 25 pounds of meat at a time and keep it in my freezer. I also like cooking brauts, sausages and corn on the cob. I don't have any recipes....I just kind of experiment with different stuff and remember what works.

gunn34 and m ino like this.
  9. phunwin

phunwin Happy kids are Dolfans. Luxury Box

I definitely want to get a regular ol' wood smoker at some point, with great big logs and what not. However, propane leads to easier temp control. I definitely adhere to the slow-n-low method; I keep the temp at 225-250 throughout. And I definitely don't use foil or trim the meat. One thing that occurred to me is that my smoker has a water pan designed to keep some moisture in the air. Should I perhaps strike that?

10. Vengeful Odin

Vengeful Odin Norse Mod

Dec 2, 2007
    Kansas City, MO
    I've been wanting to get into smoking meat and doing low n' slow BBQ, but I can't afford a ceramic smoker (Big Green Egg) and I've never really liked the bullet smokers or offset smokers available commercially.

Mrs. VO reminded me about a Good Eats episode a few years back. With about 60 bucks worth of supplies and some good old fashioned ingenuity, I introduce you to the Flower Pot Smoker ...

[​IMG]

Temperature right now is perfect at 210 degrees. I've got pork chops on and will be taking them off in about 45 minutes.

calphin and SICK like this.
  11. SICK

SICK Lounge Moderator

Nov 29, 2007
    Charlotte NC
    anyone got any recipe suggestions for a tyson chicken (whole) with a crockpot?

calphin likes this.
  12. m ino

m ino New Member

Jul 20, 2008
    sorry for the delay(faction changes in w.o.w have taken my life). as far as the water pan goes,it's nice in that it helps keep the meat from drying out so i don't think that would be the problem but you can try it and see and maybe just baste it with an aujus(sp) or injecting it with some marinade(1 quarter cup to brisket is what i use). as far as the foil goes i usually wrap it for about an hr of a 5-6 hr cooking(if cooked 10 i go 2 on foil) and usually it's the last hr.now having "too" much fat can hurt as well..if i have one with half an inch of fat then i usually trim down to a quarter inch. the only other thing i could advise to help get you a good bark after cooking ,and i hate even mentioning the word when talking brisket,is to throw it in the oven and broil it for a short time(it's saved me a time or 2 so i can't knock it) so if you do that then dont go far as it could burn easily if your not paying attention to it.seems like you are doing everything right though.

calphin likes this.
  13. Miamian

Miamian Senior Member

Dec 5, 2007
    Jerusalem, Israel
    If you still want it.

Onions, carrots, and zucchini. two cups of rice, four cups of broth, some olive oil, 1 tbsp soy sauce, about 3 tbsp tomato paste, salt and pepper, plus the chicken.

14. Miamian

Miamian Senior Member

Dec 5, 2007
    Jerusalem, Israel
    calphin likes this.
  15. Pauly

Pauly Season Ticket Holder

Nov 29, 2007
    Can be done.

Not much point considering the rough treatment the wash cycles will give the fish and how much work you'd have to do to remove any residual chemicals and food scraps from the dishwasher.

And what precisely is inadequate about simmering the fish in a fish kettle to begin with?

calphin likes this.
  16. Pauly

Nov 29, 2007
    Basic.
    Make a mirepoix and line the bottom of the crockpot with it.
    Truss chicken and put on top.
    Add water (stock and wine optional) to cover.
    Add seasoning. Salt, pepper required.

Bring to a simmer cook for the desired time according to your crock pot's instructions.

Where you get your variations is in the flavouring agents you want to use. Some suggestions.
    French: Lemon and tarragon
    Italian: Tomato, olives, anchovies and red wine.
    Indian: Roasted ground spices (buy wholes spices, cook them in a pan until just starting to smoke then grind them in a spice grinder - infinitely better than using store bought ground spices) - I'd suggest cumin, mustard seed, star anise, cardamom, coriander seed, and dried chili as a good starter mix - and mango cheeks.
    Moroccan: Dried fruit such as apricots, dates and apples with saffron, cinnamon, and paprika. Garnished with toasted slivered almonds when serving.

17. felly smarts

felly smarts New Member

Jun 24, 2008
    Dude a hamburger is like a blank canvas. Paint what you want. I like to mix everything into my burgers and then grill them to medium rare. For instance I will mince up some garlic, onions, a litlle jalepeno with a tablespoon of salt and a tablespoon of black pepper and then add an egg. The egg is gonna act like glue and keep your burger together, then throw a package of sharp cheddar cheese in with it, add a quarter can of beer. Mix everything by hand and make into 1/3 pound patties. I cook until medium rare then throw a slice of sharp cheddar on top and let it melt. Pull it off the grill bun it up with your favorite toppings and eat and enjoy. I use this recipe for 3 pounds of burger.

SICK likes this.
  18. padre31

padre31 Premium Member Luxury Box

Nov 22, 2007
    inching to 100k posts
    Gonna take a run at BBQing one of those huge, but inexpensive beef roast tomorrow, any ideas to make it come out tasting good, cooked through and still tender?

19. jetssuck

jetssuck I hear Mandich's voice...

Aug 4, 2009
    Perfectville
    Never had much luck with a roast on the grill..... but in the crock pot it always comes out great.

SICK likes this.
  20. padre31

padre31 Premium Member Luxury Box

Nov 22, 2007
    inching to 100k posts
    A big roast, maybe 8pds, I'm thinking about brining the thing as Alton Brown mentioned the cheaper large roasts are served at weddings and large gatherings and rarely come out tasting very good.

That...and..I need a good pina colada recipe...the heat is on and beer is missing the mark and my favorite drink Irish Coffee does not do well in 80 degree temperatures.

21. jetssuck

jetssuck I hear Mandich's voice...

Aug 4, 2009
    Perfectville
    Rum Runners, bro...... got a blender?

Great drink for those hot sticky days

22. calphin

calphin deadly at 250 yards!!

Fall-Apart Butt Roast

1 (4-pound) Boston butt pork roast
    1/4 to 1/3 cup Worcestershire sauce
    3/4 cup light brown sugar
    1 cup apple juice
    1 tbs paprika
    1/2 tbs cumin

Preheat oven to 400 degrees. Lightly grease inside of a casserole or deep roasting dish. Put Worcestershire sauce in a separate bowl and soak Boston butt pork roast in sauce.

Remove roast from sauce and coat with brown sugar, being sure to press sugar all over to form a crust. Place sugar-crusted roast in casserole dish.

Pour apple juice into casserole, but do not pour over sugar-crusted roast. Cover casserole or pan tightly, either with a casserole top or aluminum foil.

Place roast in oven and immediately turn heat down to 200 degrees and bake about 5 hours. Uncover roast and check for doneness. Meat should be so tender it falls apart easily. If it doesn't, re-cover roast and cook for 30 minutes more or as needed. Makes 6 servings.

23. Miamian

Miamian Senior Member

Dec 5, 2007
    Jerusalem, Israel
    If a Chinese-Greek who had never been to Miami were to try to make Arroz con pollo:

1/2 chicken, cut up
    juice of two lemons
    2 gloves of garlic, mashed
    olive oil
    2 onions, sliced
    1 cup chopped tomato (must be very red; if not, substitute 1/4 cup tomato paste)
    1/4 cup soy sauce
    2 tablespoons tumeric
    pinch sugar
    4 cups chicken broth
    2 cups rice
    1/2 cup frozen peas

Marinate the chicken in the lemon juice and garlic overnight, turning once.

Saute the onions in the oil until limp. Add the chicken with it's marinade and saute until cooked on the outside. Add the rest of the ingredients except rice and peas. Bring to a boil. Add rice and turn down heat to simmer. Cook until the liquid is mostly absorbed.

Add peas and toss through.

24. finyank13

finyank13 Reality Check

Jan 6, 2010
    At first I was a little apprehensive on how these would turn out, but they are WICKED good!!!!

Maple Bacon Chocolate Chip Cookies (recipe by Tod Dimmick, obtained from The Phantom Gourmet)

1/2 stick (1/4 c.) butter, melted
    1 c. packed brown sugar
    1/4 c. maple syrup (again, use the real kind!)
    1 egg
    1 tsp. vanilla
    1 1/2 c. + 2 Tbsp flour
    2 tsp. baking powder
    1/4 tsp. salt
    5 strips bacon, cooked until crisp, drained, and chopped into very small bits (I microwaved mine for about 3 minutes, then kept going at 1 minute increments until it was crispy enough. Depending on what kind you use you may either need to cook it longer or shorter-I used a center cut)
    1/2 c. white chocolate chips
    1/3 c. bittersweet chocolate chips
    (I omitted this part and just added 1 bag-12 oz.- of semisweet chocolate chunks. Do whatever you feel is right for you)

Preheat oven to 350°F.

In a mixing bowl, mix the butter, sugar, and syrup very well. Then beat in the egg and vanilla.

In a separate bowl, sift the flour, baking powder and salt, and then stir this in to the butter/egg mixture until just blended. Stir in the bacon and chocolate chips.

Scoop up batter by the spoonful or with your hands (maybe about almost twice the size of a walnut) and place on a baking tray lined with parchment paper. Bake for about 15 minutes on the middle rack of the oven, or until just crisp on the edges but still soft in the middle (I had to bake mine about 20 minutes total. Just check to make sure they're golden on top and not burned on the bottom!). Remove from the oven to cool for a few minutes, then let cool fully on a baking rack.
    This made me almost 2 full dozen small cookies. Enjoy!

25. BigDogsHunt

BigDogsHunt Enough talk...prove it!

Nov 27, 2007
    DC Metro Area
    Place an order (to go) with Fat Matt's in Atlanta and save all that time...focus on drinking while you eat the best bbq ever. 1/4 Chicken 1/4 Slab is the best!!!!!

26. felly smarts

felly smarts New Member

Jun 24, 2008
    10 Pound briskett on the smoker right now. I put a thick chipotle dry rub on it and have a apple juice and butter baste for it. NOM NOM!!

finyank13 likes this.
  27. NaboCane

NaboCane Banned

Nov 24, 2007
    [​IMG]

phins17 and Den54 like this.
  28. GISH

GISH ~mUST wARN oTHERS~

Nov 23, 2007
    Over Yonder
    Ive been cooking a long time and learned something new today. I made some jello fruit salad yesterday with strawberries and fresh pineapple. Or at least I tried to. I made it late yesterday evening and let it set overnight. To my surprise it was still liquid in the morning, and hadnt set at all. I tried adding more gelatin to no success. So I turned to google for the answer. Apparently fresh pineapple contains an enzyme that prevents jello from setting. So do kiwi, and melons. But canned pineapple will work because of pasteurization.

keithjackson and SICK like this.
  29. jdang307

jdang307 Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Nov 29, 2007
    San Diego
    I have a technique, more than a recipe (but have that as well). Reverse sear steak. I have a write up and it's a little long so let me dig that out. But for now, pictures.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

The steak was more rare than the picture shows, I didn't have time to set my white balance on my camera so it definitely isn't medium as it seems, it was a good medium rare. Note that the reverse sear method allows me to get a good sear without the nasty gray band around the outside you see on thicker steaks. It's red almost all the way out to the crust! :)

You can google reverse sear too, I didn't invent it (although I did combine two separate techniques)

SICK likes this.
  30. ToddsPhins

ToddsPhins Banned

Mar 15, 2009
    what do you mean "reverse sear"? It looks like the outside is done to me.

31. Pauly

Nov 29, 2007
    Reverse searing means to cook the meat first by convection (aka indirect) heat, and once the meat is cooked then to sear it brown.

It will only work with thick cut steaks. The best method is sous-vide cooking, which is to vacuum seal the steak in a plastic bag and then to cook it in a water bath heated to 54 degrees celcius, it takes about 2-3 hours or so for the steak to come up to temperature and then once it is cooked you then sear it on the grill. Alternatively you can bake the steaks in an oven on a low heat and use a temperature probe to check for doneness.

There is a common myth that searing "seals" the juices into meat, The truth is that searing does not seal, it does however start Maillard reactions which is caremelising the sugars in the surface of the meat which gives you the nice tasty crust.

ToddPhin and SICK like this.
  32. SICK

SICK Lounge Moderator

Nov 29, 2007
    Charlotte NC
    Man I miss these guys :yes:

My plans for my labor day cookout, and a cool drink!!!!

We are leaving to a huge Disney vacation in 16 days. To celebrate being so close, we are making our favorite Disney Food/Drinks for our Cookout!

We are going with our favorite "Peco Bills" burgers.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

They have a "fixins" bar with the burgers, and you can add pretty much anything. So I will slice my own onions and use double dip flour and buttermilk with some cayenne and paprika to taste then fry up some onion rings. Ill mix some thinly sliced onions and jalepenos in with the burger patty, cook medium rare, olive oil and toast the buns, have melted cheese, bbq sauce, shredded lettuce, pickles, tomatos etc. to dress.

On the side, we are eating a bit healthier so we will do side salad, or veggies.

The best part I am looking forward to is the alcoholic beverage!

Besides just beer, we are celebrating our favorite Disney Drink.........

THE LAPU LAPU!!!

[​IMG]

We carve out our pineapples and here is the drink recipe:

We can't wait!!!

finyank13 and ToddPhin like this.
  33. ToddPhin

ToddPhin Premium Member Luxury Box Club Member

Jul 6, 2012
    NC
    Is there even a hamburger patty in that onion sammich? ^^^

34. SICK

SICK Lounge Moderator

Nov 29, 2007
    Charlotte NC
    That's what she said

ToddPhin likes this.
  35. Fishweiser

Fishweiser New Member

Apr 24, 2009
    I accidently stumbled on an easy grilling sauce for burgers while I was trying to make an Irish stew for St pattys day. The recipe called for several ingredients but stopped for a quick taste after the first 3. At that point I had a can of tomato sauce mixed with some red wine (a cheap cabernet sauvignon) and some Worcestershire sauce. It had a really good taste to it, so the next day, I made up some more of this mix, kinda winged it on the measurements,.....something like 1 part tomato sauce, around 1/4-1/3 part wine, and a few splashes of Worcestershire. Took half to use as a grilling sauce to brush on the burgers while grilling, and the other half I used for just as a sauce to use after the burgers where cooked. I split them up so I had a clean sauce with no uncooked burger blood in it. I wish I could find a way to make the after cooked sauce a little thicker than the grilling sauce, that would be perfect. Anyways, it turned out great! Everyone liked it. I will definitely do that again!!

36. Fin D

Fin D Sigh

Nov 27, 2007
    To thicken it, try mixing it with a powdered brown gravy mix or corn starch.

Fishweiser likes this.
  37. Fishweiser

Fishweiser New Member

Apr 24, 2009
    Yeah, I bet that brown gravy mix will go awesomely with that!!...Ill definately have to remember that! Thanks fin!

Fin D likes this.
  38. Fin D

Fin D Sigh

Nov 27, 2007
    Let us know how it goes.

39. Fishweiser

Fishweiser New Member

Apr 24, 2009
    Will do!

40. Fishweiser

Fishweiser New Member

Apr 24, 2009
    So I did the canned tomato sauce, red cabernet wine, and Worcestershire sauce...added some onion powder and a little bit of soy sauce. Again, winged the portions out to find the right taste....added a little bit of brown gravy mix per fin D to thicken it up.........this should be bottled up and sitting next to your catsup and mustard in the fridge!! I used it as a sauce to go with a mushroom Swiss burger.....incredible!!...this would even be good on fries or even on pork or chicken as something good outside of what a BBQ sauce would be....

Fin D likes this.