1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

I Hate Boston; I Hate Kobe

Discussion in 'Other Sports Forum' started by GARDENHEAD, May 31, 2008.

Tags:
  1. GARDENHEAD

GARDENHEAD Season Ticket Holder Club Member

May 7, 2008
    New Orleans
    These NBA Finals are gonna suck.

I hate all Boston teams.
    I could never root for the Lakers, much less Kobe's Lakers.

I'm sure there's a lot of other people who look at this so-called "Marquee" Finals with the same antipathy.

MelbournePhin likes this.
  2. High Definition

High Definition No Smoke / No Drink 2011+

Nov 26, 2007
    South Beach
    On the history tip, I dislike the Lakers and I hate Boston teams in general.

But I love Kobe. I love Odom. I love KG. I love Ray Allen. I love Paul Pierce.

James Posey & P.J. Brown: Heaters for life. Can't root against those guys either.

(I love women more, though)

Big E and alen1 like this.
  3. phunwin

phunwin Happy kids are Dolfans. Luxury Box

Well, it's obviously not the finals I wanted to see but quite frankly, it's good to have the Celtics and Lakers back in our lives. I'll watch and enjoy it, even if I'm bitter that the Pistons aren't there.

Haven't made up my mind who I'm cheering for, though. On the one hand, it's tough to cheer for the team that just knocked your team out in a hard-fought, often-chippy series. On the other, I'd like to see Kevin Garnett get a ring, especially after that interview with Bill Russell, which was legitimately touching. Even if Garnett can sometimes be anti-clutch and phony-tough, Russell's seal of approval carries a lot of weight in my book.

4. Straz

Straz Me and my girl :)

Mar 23, 2008
    I'm going to root for L.A. for two reasons:

- I hate all teams from Boston just becuase of the Patriots.

- Boston beat the Pistons, my favorite team.

So let's go Lakers!

5. Samphin

Samphin Κακό σκυλί ψόφο δεν έχει

You know, there is a solution to your troubles.

don't watch.

Big E and alen1 like this.
  6. Ray Finkle

Ray Finkle Member

Dec 9, 2007
    Wnba?

7. alen1

alen1 New Member

Dec 16, 2007
    :yes:, go play the new WNBA game. I heard its a hit!

8. sugarcane

sugarcane Member

I will have to root for LA just because I do like Kobe and I hate Boston.Not just for beating up my team but because the refs and the announcers love them like no other.

9. finfansince72

finfansince72 Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Dec 18, 2007
    Columbia, South Carolina
    I can't stand Doc Rivers I think he is garbage as a coach. Theres something wrong with the NBA if this guy can win a title. Frankly if he wins a title I'd say coaches in the NBA are all but meaningless. I'd have to give a huge edge to the Lakers in the coaching department, big edge.

Oboy, BuckeyeKing and alen1 like this.
  10. alen1

alen1 New Member

Dec 16, 2007
    I agree.

11. sugarcane

sugarcane Member

Agreed!!!

12. ILPhinFan88

ILPhinFan88 Premium Member Luxury Box

Yeah, I'm a Sixers fan so I hate both teams also

13. High Definition

Nov 26, 2007
    South Beach
    Yeah, it's called Kevin McHale and Sam Presti.

Samphin likes this.
  14. Alex13

Alex13 Tua Time !!! Club Member

Dec 21, 2007
    Berlin,Germany
    how can you not like the best basketball player to ever play the game and yes i´m talkin about kobe bryant

15. alen1

alen1 New Member

Dec 16, 2007

:no:

16. finfansince72

Dec 18, 2007
    Columbia, South Carolina
    I think Kobe might be able to eclipse what Jordan did but he's not even close right now. People are too many years removed from Jordan's greatness and are looking to anoint Kobe before his time. Jordan is still many titles ahead and has a huge lead in MVPs. Jordan never had a cast like Kobe does here either. It was Jordan and Pippen with a cast of decent players beating every comer. I honestly don't know if this Laker's team or Kobe could get past the Riley Knick's teams.

unluckyluciano likes this.
  17. High Definition

Nov 26, 2007
    South Beach
    Even Kobe can't believe you just posted that (read his lips)..........:no:

[​IMG]

18. alen1

alen1 New Member

Dec 16, 2007
    :lol:

Gilbert Arenas looks like a sitting statue. Dude doesn't even blink.

BuckeyeKing likes this.
  19. Alex13

Alex13 Tua Time !!! Club Member

Dec 21, 2007
    Berlin,Germany
    actually i think that would be no match, kobe is much more athletic than those players 10 -15 years ago, you think joe dumars would have a chance guarding kobe bryant, it wouldn´t be close, thats the thing this league has so many athletic players now, in the jordan era, who was as athletic as jordan, there was dominique wilkins and that was it todays nba is different and btw, kobe is still ahead of jordan´s success, jordan had 2 rings when he was 29 i think, kobe is also 29 and has 3 goin for his fourth

20. #1 fan

#1 fan Well-Known Member

Dec 20, 2007
    miami
    i agree. not a big laker or celtic fan, but i always loved watching kg. also, i'm rooting for all the former heat players: brown, house, odom, posey

i guess i'm pulling for the celtics, because they got three old heat players.

21. FiN.in.RI

FiN.in.RI Paul pierced through..

Dec 3, 2007
    the Heart
    ha! Sucks for YOU! :D

22. Desides

Desides Well-Known Member

Nov 28, 2007
    Pembroke Pines, FL
    I cannot believe some of the posts here. Kobe Bryant better than Michael Jordan? Are you kidding me? Kobe is one of the best pro basketball players ever, but he's not as good as Jordan. Not even close.

I'm not rooting for anyone in these Finals. I doubt I'll even watch. I like KG, but that's about it. I was really hoping the cast of crazy people out in Oakland would make a run. Golden State vs Boston? I'd watch that.

alen1 likes this.
  23. alen1

alen1 New Member

Dec 16, 2007
    I agree, I don't think hes as good as Jordan but I do think hes one of the best.

24. Samphin

That would be a Boston blowout in 4. The disparity isn't even close. Considering Golden State wasn't good enough to make the playoffs aside, they would have fits with Boston's frontcourt.

25. Desides

Nov 28, 2007
    Pembroke Pines, FL
    I seem to remember Golden State having a pretty good run last year. They're at least better than Denver.

26. Samphin

And I seem to remember the Pacers making it to the finals a few years back. Their team from last year was better than their team this year. Good team, not good enough to make it to the playoffs in the West.

The point is moot anyways. Don Nelson teams are not built for the playoffs.

27. alen1

alen1 New Member

Dec 16, 2007
    I agree.

Little defense = Little success.

28. Desides

Nov 28, 2007
    Pembroke Pines, FL
    They made it to the second round somehow, so it's not a stretch for me to hope they can make it to the Finals. The three crazy people versus the three overhyped people would be a very good Finals indeed.

29. finfansince72

Dec 18, 2007
    Columbia, South Carolina
    Sorry but the NBA was stronger back then overall, the teams closer. The teams are actually worse nowadays. You could play defense back then too.
    Kobe is putting together a great season but without Shaq he doesn't even sniff those titles. This is the first year Kobe has led his team to anything. He has a long way to go to over take Jordan. Its laughable to read someone actually saying he is better right now. Honestly people have such short term memories, they forget great players a few years after they retire. Kobe hasn't led a team on his own to a title yet, lets relax and enjoy him playing and not start the silly talk about him being the greatest ever. Kobe has to perform at this same level for at least 4 more years to even be talked about in such a way.

30. Muck

Muck Throwback Uniform Crusader Retired Administrator

Nov 25, 2007
    Sunny Florida
    He got those titles with a still-dominant Shaq though.

Shaq's playoff averages:
    2000: 30.7 pts...15.4 rebs...3.1 ast...2.4 blk
    2001: 28.5 pts...12.6 rebs...2.8 ast...2.4 blk
    2002: 27.0 pts...14.8 rebs...3.7 ast...2.5 blk

Finals averages:
    2000: 38.0 pts...16.7 rebs...2.3 ast...2.7 blk
    2001: 33.0 pts...15.8 rebs...4.8 ast...3.4 blk
    2002: 36.3 pts...12.3 rebs...3.8 ast...2.8 blk

Those are legendary numbers.

Granted, Kobe became a great player in his fourth season (and was first team All-Defense). But Shaq was the MVP of all three of those Finals. If you ever get to watch the those series again, you remember just how incredible Shaq was. Kobe was Pippen to Shaq's Jordan.

Regarding athleticism, none of today's players can guard Kobe. Just like nobody could guard Jordan. For all of their supposed superior athleticism, I'd argue that defenses were better in the Jordan era. Team's like Jones' Celtics, Daly's "Bad Boys" Pistons and Riley's Knicks were just brutal. It was a more physical game. And players still believed in defense.

Kobe has a chance to really make his mark (historically) this series. He's got a pretty good team around him. A Jordan-esque team, though Pippen is a member of the 50 Greatest Team. If they can win out, he'll have truly carried them to the mountain top. He's truly among the all-time greats. And this would go a long way toward cementing that.

Samphin and alen1 like this.
  31. alen1

alen1 New Member

Dec 16, 2007
    Good point Muck, there was a stat done last night showing that Shaq's career Finals average is 28.8 and the next closest was Duncan I believe at 24.

32. BuckeyeKing

BuckeyeKing Wolves DYNASTY!!!!

Dec 6, 2007

LOL

Gilbert is zoned out. Must be a WNBA game.

33. Muck

Muck Throwback Uniform Crusader Retired Administrator

Nov 25, 2007
    Sunny Florida
    He really was unstoppable. I think he scored over 40 like three times that first series with LA.

Last summer sometime, ESPN Classic was showing a bunch of classic Laker Finals games. I mean I knew how good Shaq was. I used to go to Magic games when he was drafted. I had his poster on my wall. He was my favorite player. But seeing those games again, man.....you remember just how athletic the guy was. And how badly he used to beat guys up. Back when he was around 300 and rocking that Johnny Gill fade. :lol:

alen1 likes this.
  34. alen1

alen1 New Member

Dec 16, 2007
    :lol:

35. unluckyluciano

unluckyluciano For My Hero JetsSuck

Dec 7, 2007
    really much more athletic? what does kobe have bionic legs or something? how is he much more athletic. The league back then had stars on top of stars.

36. Samphin

Duncan was at 22.8 and Kobe right behind at 22.4. :wink2:

alen1 likes this.
  37. alen1

alen1 New Member

Dec 16, 2007

That's what it was, thanks for the correction bro. :hi5:

38. DonShula84

DonShula84 Moderator Luxury Box

Jan 3, 2008
    I hate the Lakers, really like KG/Allen/Pierce but for some reason I'm torn on who to root for. Part of me actually wants the Lakers to win, and wants to see the Celtics retooling not work.

39. Samphin

Yes, that's it, join us brother. :hi5:

40. Boik14

Boik14 Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Nov 28, 2007
    New York
    Well Im with you bro. Im not a big fan of Boston teams and I cant stand Kobe but Pau Pau Pauer wheels has convinced me to root for LA. I kinda feel bad for KG and Ray Allen but not bad enough to pull for them even though I think LAL will be back in future years with Kobe-Bynum-Pau.