1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Gase to team: Perform or get benched.

Discussion in 'Miami Dolphins Forum' started by brandon27, Sep 27, 2016.

1. brandon27

brandon27 Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Dec 3, 2007
    Windsor, ON. CANADA
    http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000000710815/article/dolphins-adam-gase-to-team-perform-or-get-benched

Gase is laying down the law. Been a while it seems since we've had a coach who would do that. At some point though, this is what it comes down to in the NFL. This is your job, you do it well, it's yours. You don't do it how we want it done, take a seat, we'll find somebody else. Personally I like it. These guys have had it too easy, for too long here it seems. Get it done, or get out.

2. cbrad

cbrad .

Dec 21, 2014
    Yeah Gase seems to have the right attitude as a coach. I really like it.

Big question for me is still how good he is at adjustments. You can have as good a "prove it to me" attitude you want, but if you can't adjust in a timely fashion, whether it's X's and O's or personnel moves, well.. you're not going far. I think we'll know more on that one by the end of the season.

Bpk and Phins_Fan_87 like this.
  3. Rocky Raccoon

Rocky Raccoon Greasepaint Ghost Staff Member

Dec 2, 2007
    Jersey
    Love it, and I also love that the locker room was mostly discouraged after Sunday's game. They know they need to perform better and they know Gase isn't screwing around.

It's a good culture do develop. Be better or sit your *** on the bench.

dolphin25 likes this.
  4. FasanoPaisano

FasanoPaisano Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Oct 10, 2009
    Near People's Pizza
    Glad to see this ... this was the aspect of Dan Campbell I liked, and was concerned about when they chose Gase. I know it took a couple of games of evidence, but Campbell made the big move of canning Lazor when he wouldn't (not couldn't, wouldn't) call running plays. This is refreshing after all the years Philbin apparently had no solution for underachieving.

5. The G Man

The G Man Git 'r doooonnne!!!

Mar 18, 2009
    That's as it should be. I realize that's not always as it is, but that's as it should be.

dolphin25 likes this.
  6. dirtylandry

dirtylandry Well-Known Member

Aug 2, 2015
    who is another candidate? Byron Maxwell?

7. vt_dolfan

vt_dolfan Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Here's the problem with adjustments. Right now...they cant evaluate which plays work and which don't so much because the players themselves are making mistakes. If someone on the D Line freelances...then the gap assignments are all thrown off. This is why he is really getting hard on the players now to do their damn jobs. If they cant evaluate what plays actually work and which dont....then it becomes very hard to make adjustments.

josh likes this.
  8. cbrad

cbrad .

Dec 21, 2014
    I disagree with that. The no-huddle in the 2nd half of the NE game was an adjustment that should have been done earlier. You can make adjustments to improve players' play even when they aren't playing at full potential.

josh likes this.
  9. Tin Indian

Tin Indian Rockin' The Bottom End Club Member

Feb 10, 2010
    Palm Bay Florida
    They ran a no huddle against the Browns most of the game. What we need is that faster paced no huddle. Keep the defense off balance and out of breathe.

I love that he is calling them out and not afraid to do so.

10. Nappy Roots

Nappy Roots Well-Known Member

Dec 3, 2007
    Bradenton,FL
    Culture. It is a game changer if it can be fixed. I think Gase is on his way. It just takes time. This is the reason I was for Campbell as the head coach. As green as he was, I felt like he could flip this culture on its head. I am liking Gase so far.

11. RGF

RGF THE FINSTER Club Member

Nov 24, 2007
    NY
    Its definitely the right approach, do your job and your assignments or someone else will. I like that.

12. Agua

Agua Reality: Try It!

Apr 28, 2008
    He needs to apply it. And I don't care WHO it is. Williams, Suh, Jones ... whoever. If they give any lip, cut their ***. Can't have this garbage. I had my doubts about Gase's "buddy buddy" approach with the players, but showing them that they have to do their jobs or hit the road is the right approach.

Tin Indian and dolphin25 like this.
  13. Vertical Limit

Vertical Limit Senior Member

Nov 25, 2007
    Maxwell is definitely the nezt guy benched... and Tannehill will get benched midgame sometime this year. His slow decision making is hurting our offense not to mention the staredowns/telegraphed passes.

14. Dol-Fan Dupree

Dol-Fan Dupree Tank? Who is Tank? I am Guy Incognito.

Dec 11, 2007
    How do you know it is slow decision making and not receivers running poor or wrong routes?

miamiron, Two Tacos and resnor like this.
  15. adamprez2003

adamprez2003 Senior Member

Nov 27, 2007
    new york ciity
    Since gase is a QB guru, if tannehill doesn't get benched will you admit he isn't the problem

resnor likes this.
  16. adamprez2003

Nov 27, 2007
    new york ciity
    I wonder if we move tunsil out ROT soon

17. resnor

resnor Derp Sherpa

Nov 25, 2007
    New Hampshire
    I've been asking this for years. I get answer that is basically, "You dummy, it's obviously Tannehill. He is below average, and everything that is a problem is his fault."

Now, if Gase ends up sitting Tannehill, then I'll take notice, and assume that Tannehill is really not the answer.

Shane Falco likes this.
  18. dolphin25

dolphin25 Well-Known Member

Nov 22, 2014
    if someone is open and he does not throw them the ball is that poor decision making or the receiver running the wrong route?

19. dirtylandry

dirtylandry Well-Known Member

Aug 2, 2015
    Right OT? interesting idea. I guess what's the plan for guard then?
    Albert was supposed to move to Guard when the Chiefs signed Fischer a few seasons back. Maybe this fix is as easy as swapping a couple guys

20. Dol-Fan Dupree

Dol-Fan Dupree Tank? Who is Tank? I am Guy Incognito.

Dec 11, 2007
    That depends on many factors.

#1. Where the receiver is in the quarterback progression
    #2. Is the receiver in the wrong spot during a timing route
    #3. Is the receiver actually open or does he just look open on TV

21. mor911

mor911 pooping

Nov 25, 2007
    Austin, TX
    Bring back the real hammer!

[​IMG]

Tin Indian, smahtaz, FinSane and 2 others like this.
  22. Colmax

Colmax Well-Known Member

Dec 12, 2007
    Gase should be fired. Clearly outcoached by Hue Jackson.

23. brandon27

brandon27 Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Dec 3, 2007
    Windsor, ON. CANADA
    That's the biggest challenge. Culture change in the organization. There's got to be that attitude of win at all costs. If it means sitting vets and starters, you do it. If you're not getting your job done well enough to win, we'll see if the next guy does. If nobody can, you're likely both gone in the offseason. Look at the way the Pats do it, how many times have we recently seen them moving away from early draft picks after only a few years? Bill just doesn't accept it. Get the player in, teach him his role, teach him the proper technique. If they don't get it... move on. Don't waste time.

I feel like it's a tough thing to change the culture down in Miami. In a city known for beautiful weather, beaches, night life, it's easy for players to get distracted and enjoy the lifestyle of the city. There's a lot of distractions. But it's time someone whips our guys into shape, and reminds them... this is your job. It's not guaranteed. There's always someone gunning for your job, and you aren't safe. Keep making the same mental mistakes, leading to the inconsistency of this offense, and you're out. Juwaun James is a big example of that. This is a high draft pick, starter on what's arguably one of the weakest units on the team and he's getting benched for being beaten quite a bit during the game, and when it mattered most causing that strip sack.

It's the right message. Especially if you're doing a good job developing the players on the lower end of the roster. I think New England shows year after year, you don't have to be the most talented. You've got to have some talent, and do your job as the system dictates without mistakes. If you cant, you're out.

Bpk, Tin Indian, smahtaz and 3 others like this.
  24. Colmax

Colmax Well-Known Member

Dec 12, 2007
    Neville Hewitt wants to play.

25. resnor

resnor Derp Sherpa

Nov 25, 2007
    New Hampshire
    I've been wishing for three seasons for the starters on both sides of the ball, to get sat during a game. I said it watching the game Sunday, sitting in a Chili's in Connecticut.

Send a message.

cbrad likes this.
  26. mlb1399

mlb1399 Well-Known Member

Mar 6, 2010
    I think a message needs to be sent to the DL as well. We have too much money invested to be getting gashed in the run game and generating such an ineffective pass rush. Send the message, push buttons, get rid of bad apples and change this losing culture.

Tin Indian, dolphin25 and Agua like this.
  27. MikeHoncho

MikeHoncho -=| Censored |=-

Nov 13, 2009
    Half time adjustments have been phenomenal so far IMO. It's the initial game planning and preparation that I question, personally.

To your point, this may yet be one of the adjustments you may be referring to.

28. gunn34

gunn34 I miss Don & Dan

Jan 5, 2008
    Oviedo FL
    I love this message.

29. cbrad

cbrad .

Dec 21, 2014
    Yeah, initial game planning and preparation that's tailored to the opponent is definitely one area we need to see improvement in.

But in-game adjustments could be a lot better too. First of all, why wait till halftime? And second, half-time adjustments for the offense may have been "phenomenal" in the NE game and I'd say "good" in the Browns game, but I didn't see any in the Seattle game and none for the defense. It's worse for the defense because we couldn't adjust at all to NE without a starting QB just running their way to victory.

That's a coaching problem and specifically shows the lack of ability to adjust. Otherwise, I'm talking about personnel issues. Haven't seen anything egregious so far but we don't want to see the coach stick with an underperforming player for way too long like Philbin did. Just some examples..

dolphin25 likes this.
  30. adamprez2003

Nov 27, 2007
    new york ciity
    Well I was thinking that when pouncey returns at C maybe we move Steen to LOG and Tunsil to ROT

31. Pandarilla

Pandarilla Purist Emeritus

Sep 10, 2009
    Boone, NC
    This reminds me of Soylent green for the Dolphins...

The D stands for deadbeat!!!

It's refreshing from a fan standpoint as we knew this all along.

James just needed a wake up call. To me it's replacing Jenkins and Misi with Hewitt and Butler.

32. MikeHoncho

MikeHoncho -=| Censored |=-

Nov 13, 2009
    Be careful what you wish for, but yes I agree Misi can't keep up.

Pandarilla likes this.
  33. Shane Falco

Shane Falco Banned

Nov 22, 2015
    Man it's nice to have a real coach.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Tin Indian and Colmax like this.
  34. Colmax

Colmax Well-Known Member

Dec 12, 2007
    Gosh dang, I was clearly trolling with the "Fire Gase" post and no one bit. I just wanted to see what it felt like. Thanks y'all for not giving me the opportunity to feel like a butt munch! Haha

Mr.Couch, Tin Indian, resnor and 3 others like this.
  35. Fin-O

Fin-O Initiated Club Member

Sep 28, 2015
    I think we should bench everyone besides 17...17 is not only very cute but the best QB in NFL history not names Gus Ferrote.

Mr.Couch likes this.
  36. Fin D

Fin D Sigh

Nov 27, 2007
    I think what your exercise/experiment inadvertently proved is that reputation some of us have is undeserved. We don't fly off the handle when normal people make a negative post. Our problem is with the people who **** on everything chronically.

37. Bpk

Bpk Premium Member Luxury Box

I LOVE this.

This is good ONLY if he also takes blame and accountability when he messes up as a coach. I think he does that, like when he said he should have listened to Tannehill sooner during the Seahawks game.

It's just important that players don't feel like they always are 'wrong' and the coaches are 'never wrong'.

BEST hting about this though is that any entitled athletic diva NOT putting effort into executing properly will NOT continue to play ahead of a guy who does his damn job. THAT gives hope to your depth guys AND puts your first string on notice that their jobs ar eNOT safe if they slack.

Tin Indian, resnor and Colmax like this.
  38. Pandarilla

Pandarilla Purist Emeritus

Sep 10, 2009
    Boone, NC
    I read a comment saying play Butler at Mike, Alonso at Will and Hewitt at Sam.

Misi would be nice backup.

39. jpep13

jpep13 Coach Of The Year Club Member

Dec 2, 2007
    should bench the coaches for a crappy gameplan

40. Vertical Limit

Vertical Limit Senior Member

Nov 25, 2007
    Then who would be the head cosch on thursday night?