1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Back at practice, Dolphins rookie Xavien Howard showing some swagger

Discussion in 'Miami Dolphins Forum' started by Sceeto, Aug 24, 2016.

1. Sceeto

Sceeto Well-Known Member

Oct 13, 2008
    New York
    http://www.foxsports.com/florida/story/miami-dolphins-xavien-howard-training-camp-swagger-082316

2. Ohio Fanatic

Ohio Fanatic Twuaddle or bust Club Member

Nov 26, 2007
    Concord, MA
    I do think our secondary will be better than what many are portraying, but I see us getting gashed up the middle all year because of our LBers.

3. cbrad

cbrad .

Dec 21, 2014
    The one silver lining to being gashed like that is it should tell us something very important about Gase: how long does he stick with the original plan (e.g. defensive formation) before trying to adapt.

If I ever start to see Gase make adjustments to rectify problems using different formations and/or different personnel as needed, I'll be on board with Gase as a coach for a long time even if he has a losing season. The anti-Philbin is what I'm looking for.

Well, we'll see.. can't get hopes up based on Dolphins history.

Pandarilla and dolphin25 like this.
  4. Conuficus

Conuficus Premium Member Luxury Box

Dec 8, 2007
    Well away from here
    The only scheme that would truly work for our linebackers is one where we secretly erect a 12 foot invisible wall across the field.

resnor and cbrad like this.
  5. dirtylandry

dirtylandry Well-Known Member

Aug 2, 2015
    he is an upgrade in the secondary, no doubt, but need a little help on pass rushing and run stopping. Not a ton, but a little better, then put the offense on the field longer and we'll see what this team is about

6. jeremy2020

jeremy2020 Active Member

Sep 8, 2010
    So even if Xavien works out and is a stud player...who's playing opposite him that gives you such confidence?

7. Agua

Agua Reality: Try It!

Apr 28, 2008
    Lets see him cover somebody first.

Finster likes this.
  8. dirtylandry

dirtylandry Well-Known Member

Aug 2, 2015
    would you rather Jamar Taylor, Will Davis or Brent Grimes and Miko?

9. P h i N s A N i T y

P h i N s A N i T y My Porpoise in Life

Apr 19, 2012
    Treasure Coast, FL
    His name is Byron Maxwell. He allowed a whopping 2 TDs in 14 games as a starter last year. They both came via Julio Jones week 1. This was considered a down year for him, his first on a new(bad) defense. Then you have Bobby McCain who was impressive as a rookie and now considered by some to be a rising star.

10. BigNastyDB13

BigNastyDB13 Well-Known Member

Oct 12, 2012
    Howard and Maxwell need to be healthy. Both are by far the most talented boundary corners we have. Huge drop off after those 2 in terms of talent. Both are very good in man to man. If those 2 can stay healthy along with Jones I think our secondary will be ok. Howard will be the deciding factor but at least there's God given talent there with he and Maxwell playing man to man. Our line backing is going to be the big issue. Very little talent or depth. Alonso may be good in coverage, he usually gets some picks but the guy looks pretty poor vs the run. Jenkins isn't exactly a stout run defender either. Misi I've never thought was athletic enough but has some size anyways. Our dline is gonna have to dominate in the run game to keep our smaller, quicker linebackers like Alonso and Jenkins free. If linemen get their hands on those 2 it's all over. Rashad Jones will be our leading tackler if that's the case.