1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Joey Bosa

Discussion in 'Miami Dolphins Forum' started by dirtylandry, Aug 24, 2016.

1. dirtylandry

dirtylandry Well-Known Member

Aug 2, 2015
    Ok so it sounds like there is a major impasse. SD cant trade his rights , but once signed, I think can trade him. Thinking outside the box and trying to get younger, I would like to see us make a play for a future pick. Imagine coming away with Tunsil and Bosa this year? Give him the rookie guaranteed money and backload the rest

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2. Fin-O

Fin-O Initiated Club Member

Sep 28, 2015
    He does have those MIA ties...perhaps if he were to use that leverage it COULD happen.

My guess is they will have a deal within a week.

3. ckparrothead

ckparrothead Draft Forum Moderator Luxury Box

Dec 1, 2007
    Too late for anything to do with Miami here the deadline to trade him has passed and I'm not sure that sign-trade idea actually is able to happen. One of two things will happen:

1. He signs with the Chargers.
    2. He re-enters the 2017 NFL Draft at which point Miami would have to draft him to get him.

Pandarilla and Tin Indian like this.
  4. Dol-Fan Dupree

Dol-Fan Dupree Tank? Who is Tank? I am Guy Incognito.

Dec 11, 2007
    Yea, I think it would still count against the rookie pool which most teams have spent.

5. dirtylandry

Aug 2, 2015
    yeah his dad and uncle were busts

Agua likes this.
  6. finfansince72

finfansince72 Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Dec 18, 2007
    Columbia, South Carolina
    Hard to believe this is still going on, San Diego has a terrible front office. Are they still trying to move the team?

Boik14 and texanphinatic like this.
  7. Paul 13

Paul 13 Chaotic Neutral & Unstable Genius Staff Member

Dec 3, 2007
    his dad was NOT a bust. His career was severely hampered by injury.

8. Rock Sexton

Rock Sexton Anti-Homer

Mar 14, 2015
    That greedy bastard? Pass.

dolphin25 likes this.
  9. btfu149

btfu149 Well-Known Member

Aug 5, 2011
    Indianapolis, IN
    While injuries are unfortunate they are still a part of the game. I'd still call him a bust

10. Vertical Limit

Vertical Limit Senior Member

Nov 25, 2007
    For the way he's behaving, he better be the next JJ Watt...

And when ever he does sign, whether it's with the Chargers or some other team, I feel sorry for the team that wants to re-sign him should he be decent or an all time great... He's going to be even more difficult..

IMO, this is the kind of guy that I would be very concerned with anyways... who's to say he takes his signing bonus, and then when he does his few years, playing it safe, he retires... who knows if he's one of those players that is deeply concerned with CTE and so he's trying to rake in as much as he can with the plans of retiring early..

I feel bad for Charger fans, you have a top pick after a dreadful year and it goes to waste without the ink getting wet.

11. Fin-O

Fin-O Initiated Club Member

Sep 28, 2015
    Wow.

Way to be a headline reader and not dig deep into the situation.

Do you realize what they are asking him to do is far from standard for a top 5 pick??

Do you realize the team is worth 100's of millions and he has about 5 yrs on average to make a living? The Chargers are trying to give him unfair terms in the contract relative to other players in his position. But "he's" greedy because it is pounded in to the minds of people who do not know any better that athletes are selfish, greedy *******s.

Do your homework.

gunn34, Boik14, mlb1399 and 1 other person like this.
  12. Pauly

Pauly Season Ticket Holder

Nov 29, 2007
    This.

From what I understand the dispute isn't about money it's about the contractual handcuff language. Other picks are given a choice of handcuff A or B, or many teams don't even bother. The Chargers want handcuffs A and B. It has been reported Bosa is open to one of the handcuffs but not both.

It's exactly the same kind of BS that Ireland kept trying when he was GM.

gunn34, Pandarilla and mlb1399 like this.
  13. Rock Sexton

Rock Sexton Anti-Homer

Mar 14, 2015
    Oh I "understand" what they're arguing over just fine ......

1. Bosa wants to be paid the larger portion of his guaranteed money upfront
    2. The Chargers want to save money with "offset" language if they're forced to cut him after year 3

My personal opinion - this is definitely greed. I don't care what happened with the players before him - dude has not played a single down of football. Whatever happened to earning the damn money? I don't care about the rookie wage scale or NFL TV deals. It's all besides the point ..........STFU, get out there and prove you're worth it Bosa.

While owners can definitely be accused of being greedy, if you were running a business you would want to protect yourself much the same way they are, considering the threat of these guys packing it in after getting paid big upfront - ESPECIALLY with the gamble that is the NFL draft. What if the Chargers saw/learned something about Bosa after they drafted him that put up a big "PROCEED WITH CAUTION" warning sign?

This is all moot though. The "drama" aspect of it is tabloid nonsense. They're negotiating and that's what comes with the territory. This is what he signed up for.

dolphin25 likes this.
  14. dirtylandry

Aug 2, 2015
    I look at it simple, picks 2 and 4 were signed, 3 should be in the bag

Boik14 likes this.
  15. Ronnie Bass

Ronnie Bass Luxury Box Luxury Box

Dec 19, 2007
    The Chargers owners and management must be a terrible crew if NFL players keep treating San Diego like it's Siberia

Boik14 likes this.
  16. dolphin25

dolphin25 Well-Known Member

Nov 22, 2014
    no, no, no..... dont want this guy on the team....

17. dolphin25

Nov 22, 2014
    according to the report ( you can actually read what they offered) they have offered him way more than what the others draft picks have signed for, except number one pick. This one is on Bosa.

18. dolphin25

Nov 22, 2014
    exactly, if reports are true from the Chargers they have offered him above fair contract. HE is the only rooked drafted that has not signed.

19. Nappy Roots

Nappy Roots Well-Known Member

Dec 3, 2007
    Bradenton,FL
    I don't think money is the issue, its other language that the Chargers always try to include that no other team does. I believe this is the case at least..

20. Nappy Roots

Dec 3, 2007
    Bradenton,FL
    Just to follow up...

Boik14 likes this.
  21. dolphin25

Nov 22, 2014
    do you know what those 2 concessions actually are?
    I heard on talk show last night one of them was something about "if he gets cut"
    Would not want a top 5 pick thinking they might get cut .

22. Nappy Roots

Dec 3, 2007
    Bradenton,FL
    Okay and your point? It's best to cover all bases though.

What if he gets hurt and is no longer the same player he once was. They could just cut him Scott free.

Why would be allow that just because, "well I'm a top 5 player. I don't expect to get cut". That's ridiculous.

Boik14 and Fin D like this.
  23. texanphinatic

texanphinatic Senior Member

Nov 26, 2007
    Detroit Metro Area MI
    I never get the people that call players "greedy" or think they are bad people for wanting money/guarantees and then side with the owners. What?

For anyone that wants to question his character over this, let me ask you how many championships the Giants and Broncos regret as a result of what Eli and Elway did.

The Chargers especially are a petty, pathetic, cheap 2 bit operation. Just look at how they recently dealt with Rivers and Eric Weddle. Which team did Eli refuse to play for? The Chargers! Which team tried to bilk it's local taxpayers out of millions, then actually was about to up and leave, but then have that be put on hold, so now they came begging again, except everyone knows they will leave? The Chargers.

Bosa has a 1 in a million talent/skill and worked years in a system that forced him to give his body and skill for free while generating profits for an organization. Now that he has the chance to cash in, we are going to excoriate HIM for wanting all his bonus money up front? HE IS GETTING IT REGARDLESS! Who cares if it is now? The Chargers are just cheap and want to spread it out. Second issue is the offset language which only comes into play if he is cut and resigned in his fourth year. It is not Bosa thinking about getting cut, it's San Diego thinking about if they need to cut Bosa. Bosa just wants his rookie deal honored. Even if he is a collasal bust, the saving for SD would be minimal through offset. Again, teams are just looking for every bit of control they can get. These should in no way be an issue and rarely are. Well, SD just played themselves, good job.

Boik14 and Fin-O like this.
  24. daphins

daphins A-Style

Mar 22, 2008
    I don't think this is correct. The bonus in question is I believe guaranteed. It's really does he get more this year and defer the rest until next year, or vice versa.

The offset language is the only place where he could theoretically lose money. It would allow them to not pay him the difference of what he earned on another team if he were to get cut. He could in theory double dip, and get paid by two teams. It's pretty common language that has held up its share of rookie contracts.

I personally think both sides are stupid to not bend on it (shouldn't be a huge deal with rookie contracts), but the one who has by far the most to lose is Joey. He won't go top 5 next year and will likely slip WAY down out of concerns about signing him and taking a year off from football. He'll lose a year of earning potential and be locked in a what will likely be a much less lucrative contract.

He's in a lose/lose situation, and honestly he has not one to blame but himself. He could show up and make a boat load of money, or he can roll the dice that someone thinks he's worth the gamble after not taking a hit for a year.

To each his own.

Finster likes this.
  25. Boik14

Boik14 Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Nov 28, 2007
    New York
    I really don't understand this sentiment.

It's an unprecedented bad deal for a #3 pick. No #3 pick ever had both offset language and a delay on the signing bonus. Bosa's camp had repeatedly told SD to pick one. Chargers though are Chargering...brought to you by the same team that this rookie scale was practically invented for after LT, Rivers, Merriman, Jammer all held out. Mind you this is more then double the next longest holdout under this CBA.

I'm not a big Bosa fan but San Diego can't get out of paying this money and that's exactly what it feels like they are trying to do. Next time they don't want to pay a rookie so much try not sucking so much *** the season before. Brought to you by the worst and cheapest owner in the NFL.

And as for the CTE comment, why would you fault the player for "trying to rake in as much as he can" when the NFL is the only major US pro sports league without guaranteed deals? Aside from the fact he's due this money regardless of whether he deserves it or not, I don't understand the beef. Under no circumstance can SD not pay this money. The offset language is their only hope so they want that + deferment? Are they on crack?

Nappy Roots likes this.
  26. Rock Sexton

Rock Sexton Anti-Homer

Mar 14, 2015
    Spreading money out is not being "cheap". It's a business, they run their own numbers and find it more ideal for their franchise to spread the money out and lessen the risk over time.

27. dolphin25

Nov 22, 2014
    plus wasn't that money guaranteed?