1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

2017 Draft

Discussion in 'NFL Draft Forum' started by Redwine4all, Jul 25, 2016.

1. Redwine4all

Redwine4all Well-Known Member

Feb 4, 2016
    Just for fun, and because there is absolutely nothing else to do, I like to pick a few college players before the season starts and kind of "peg" them as Dolphins 1st rounders.

For the record...I have no "special tape watching skills"...I don't have any pedigree. I wasn't a college athlete. I am not a scout, I don't break down film, I just watch games. I just go by what I think. I am probably wrong more than I am right, so know that going in. I am rank amateur doing this for pure fun. I know there are plenty of people on here that do this for more than a hobby. So with that fully disclosed, here I go.

I don't think (I sincerely hope) that we won't be in position to pick Myles Garrett from A&M...if we are in that position, we might be looking at QB with the first pick.

So I am going to skip him and go to Derek Barnett from Tennessee. He's an outstanding pass rusher and I think he'll play the run well. I think we'll be looking to get younger at DE, regardless of how Wake, Williams, and Jones perform. He was disruptive last year in the games I saw (Alabama, Oklahoma, and some other team now, I forget).

On the offensive side of the ball, I am thinking Nick Chubb might be there. Again, I hope we aren't in position to pick Fournette, who will get chose early, even though hes a running back.

At CB, I'll be watching Desmond King from Iowa. He was good in the few games I saw Iowa play. His stats might go down this year, because I think last year no one stayed away from him and he really stood out.

Not sure we'll pick any OL...though it never hurts to get an interior lineman in the draft.

I like Jalen Reeves-Maybin from Tennessee as well. I would think he's an ILB in the NFL but who knows...he's a bit on the small side, but he is a tackling machine. He has good speed and instincts.

There are several good prospects at OLB...I like Carraway from TCU. He played well in the couple of games I watched. He's probably a third rounder or so...but, anyway.

Thanks for indulging me. I read a lot, I don't post much.

gunn34 likes this.
  2. Unlucky 13

Unlucky 13 Team Raheem Club Member

Apr 24, 2012
    Troy, Virginia
    I'm looking at RB Dalvin Cook from FSU. He fits the type and style of RB that I prefer much better than Fournette does. Until Ajayi proves to me that he can be a play making, 1200+ yard back in the league, RB is going to be a big need to me.

3. Redwine4all

Feb 4, 2016
    There is a lot to like about Cook. He's big, strong, and can run from you. I think Fournette is probably better, but either way, they're both excellent players. There are four RBs that could be first rounders, with Chubb and McCaffery joining these two.

4. Unlucky 13

Apr 24, 2012
    Troy, Virginia
    I've never seen McCaffery play, I've just seen whats been written about him. I'll keep an eye on him this season, but from what I understand, he seems to be more of a Reggie Bush type than a guy who will be able to touch the ball 300 times a season.

5. invid

invid Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Dec 9, 2012
    Phins should seriously consider getting a DE in both the first AND second rounds.

6. Redwine4all

Feb 4, 2016
    I could not agree more...I would have no problem drafting two DEs early in 17.

7. ToddPhin

ToddPhin Premium Member Luxury Box Club Member

Jul 6, 2012
    NC
    Haven't visited the DEs yet. Got a rough RB ranking started though.

1. Cook [up 10 lbs this year to 214]
    2. Fournette
    3. McCaffrey [kind of a LeVeon Bell light]
    4. Jalen Hurd, Tenn [better version of Derrick Henry]
    5. Samaje Perine, OK
    6. Wayne Gallman, Clem
    7. Sony Michel, UGA
    8. Elijah McGuire, UL Lafayette
    9. Kareem Hunt, Toledo
    10. Jarvion Franklin, Western Mich
    11. Nick Chubb, UGA
    12. Corey Clement, Wisc
    13. James Connor, Pitt
    14. Alvin Kamara, Tenn
    15. Justin Davis, USC
    16. Deveon Smith, Mich

A few of these guys will rise heavily if they return to pre-injury form [Chubb & Corey Clement]..... and I still need to find spots for Elijah Hood and Royce Freeman. Jovan Robinson was dropped from my ranking after being released from Auburn.

This is like 4 draft classes worth of running backs compressed into 1.

skippysphins, Zanno, ssmiami and 2 others like this.
  8. Redwine4all

Feb 4, 2016
    Perine is a stud. Not sure about his ht/wth tho.

9. ToddPhin

Jul 6, 2012
    NC
    I've seen people knock Perine or call him overrated but I don't see it.

10. ckparrothead

ckparrothead Draft Forum Moderator Luxury Box

Dec 1, 2007
    Wow...James Washington of Oklahoma State...DAYUM.

Watch his game against TCU. Crazy. Watching him makes me want to watch a LOT more of him.

11. Unlucky 13

Apr 24, 2012
    Troy, Virginia
    Is it me, or does Hurd look a lot skinnier than Henry did? I know he's listed at 240 lbs, but sometimes colleges will inflate those numbers. 6'4" is crazy tall for a RB either way. As a former Tennessee student, I watch a fair amount of their games, and though he's effective and athletic, he looks more like a NBA player sometimes than a back. He reminds me more of Eric Dickerson or Chris Warren.

12. ToddPhin

Jul 6, 2012
    NC
    IDK, kinda reminds me of ex Oklahoma Stater, Justin Blackmon. Nice gait and seems really comfortable catching the ball. Might be underrated aye as DraftScout's 11th ranked junior WR.

13. ToddPhin

Jul 6, 2012
    NC
    No, Hurd doesn't quite look like an NFL linebacker like Henry...... and yes he's crazy tall.......... but he's powerful & angry, runs with a better center of gravity than Henry, and has better ankle flexion than Henry. Definitely a throwback player with his running style.

14. ckparrothead

ckparrothead Draft Forum Moderator Luxury Box

Dec 1, 2007
    The thing James Washington does so well is see and adjust to the football. As well as anyone I've seen for his size. He's got a good base of skills aside from that but that's what is special about him.

15. Fin-O

Fin-O Initiated Club Member

Sep 28, 2015
    Im seeing Simmie Cobbs JR being projected as a late round pick...

That will change.

16. ToddPhin

Jul 6, 2012
    NC
    Jalen Hurd jumping on a treadmill preset at 23.1 MPH. Pretty fast for 240 pounds.

[video=youtube;qtVG_RATGIM]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qtVG_RATGIM[/video]

skippysphins likes this.
  17. invid

Dec 9, 2012
    He's one of those can't-miss guys for me. His cuts are amazing. So dangerous in space that it doesn't matter how he gets the ball.

skippysphins and Fin4Ever like this.
  18. Redwine4all

Feb 4, 2016
    So how many of these RBs do you guys who track the draft think will go in the first round? Four would be a crazy number, right? But there is alot of RB talent on these boards.

19. ToddPhin

Jul 6, 2012
    NC
    The immense depth of RB talent could push a couple of those potential 1st rounders into the 2nd round. The amount of RB talent in this draft is nuts. The bottom third of the starters in the NFL could conceivably be replaced, it's that strong.

skippysphins and Unlucky 13 like this.
  20. Fin4Ever

Fin4Ever Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Aug 26, 2014
    Vero Beach, FL
    McCaffery is awesome. You must see some of his games this year as he will blow you away. He is versatile and tremendously talented in both punt and kick returns, as well as an incredible RB that can do it all out of the backfield exceptionally well. He should have easily won the Heisman and that is not a knock on Derek Henry at all. I really like Dalvin Cook as well....a whole lot...would be tough for me to choose between Cook, McCaffery, and Chubb but I think I would select McCaffery due to his versatility in all aspects on the offensive side of the ball as well as his versatility on special teams. I do believe that he is a junior this year though and I am pretty sure that he said he will also return to Stanford for his Senior season. If that is the case then I want Cook all the way for us.

skippysphins likes this.
  21. Fin4Ever

Fin4Ever Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Aug 26, 2014
    Vero Beach, FL
    No Reggie Bush type at all......pretty sure he had well over 300 touches for Stanford last year....and I think it was a lot more than 300......tough as nails and very durable.....Wow...go back and watch the bowl game and let me know what you think.

skippysphins likes this.
  22. adamprez2003

adamprez2003 Senior Member

Nov 27, 2007
    new york ciity
    ILB Kendell Beckwith from LSU is a guy I'm going to keep an eye on. he Played with good leverage, shed tackles and had good speed and quick recognition when I watched him earlier

skippysphins likes this.
  23. smahtaz

smahtaz Pimpin Ain't Easy

This Walker kid from FSU is a beast.

24. invid

Dec 9, 2012
    Last edited: Nov 23, 2016
    skippysphins likes this.
  25. Colmax

Colmax Well-Known Member

Dec 12, 2007
    Jalen Hurd is a head case. If it's not about Jalen Hurd, Jalen Hurd doesn't want anything to do with it. Let's see how he pans out as a TE or wideout.

In no particular order, I'd like the LB position to be shored up (in and out). Kiko has gotten better, but he seems so slight and I'm afraid of his injury history.

I think Xavien Howard is going to be solid, and I am really digging Lippett, but I think you have to at least look at safety. Reshad may be a beast, but he's getting on up there. Not sold on Wait Aikens.

I agree on DE. It would help significantly if Jordan can be productive, and from all accounts, he's likely to be only a DE. I'd like this position as well.

I'd look at the tackle positions as well as G. There's a lot of money tied up at the line, and I could see someone like Albert being moved.

26. invid

Dec 9, 2012
    The G class ain't that great this year, unfortunately. Phins should go DE or CB with their first pick, exception being if Peppers or Fournette fall to them. RB class is loaded though, so let's see what we have in Ajayi. We can get someone complementary in the later rounds. Hurd looks slow on tape.

27. texanphinatic

texanphinatic Senior Member

Nov 26, 2007
    Detroit Metro Area MI
    Texas RB D'Ontae Foreman is turning into a beast. Definitely a guy to look for in rounds 2-3 I think if he declares. Was a bit worried about injuries and maybe a bit of softness, but this year he is tearing it up. Big dude with some wheels, not a combo you see very often.

28. Nappy Roots

Nappy Roots Well-Known Member

Dec 3, 2007
    Bradenton,FL

This draft class is going to be crucial. Because we have major needs on every level of our defense. As well as TE and guard. And potentially QB as well.

So we have the **luxury** of selecting best player on our board. I don't think we should take DE, or LB in the first. Just cause we need it majorly.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

29. invid

Dec 9, 2012
    I don't think Dolphins should pick LB at all unless they move back (I don't even know where we're picking yet). I think if we're picking high then a CB or DE would be BPA, that's all I was trying to say. If we're picking in the middle then LB definitely comes in to play. I really like Zach Cunningham and Reuben Foster. I think they're top-20 picks.

30. invid

Dec 9, 2012
  31. hitman8

hitman8 Well-Known Member

Nov 11, 2016
    Jj

Sent from my F3111 using Tapatalk