1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Texans fan here : Foster IMHO

Discussion in 'Miami Dolphins Forum' started by dallas_texan, Jul 19, 2016.

1. dallas_texan

dallas_texan New Member

Jul 19, 2016
    Just wanted to give you an honest opinion from someone who watched every Foster snap since before he was drafted.

I believe the Foster contract was the best GM move of the NFL this year. No really, not just homer-ism. For $1.5M let me break it down like this:

He gets injured a lot. Yes that's true, but if he just plays for just 4 games all season I can guarantee you he will have 3 of those with over 200 all purpose yards. He does it every year. He has a sick nose for the end zone. He will catch passes, he's a stud blocker, he will break long runs behind the worst of O-lines. He's a stud. Foster WILL win at least one game for you single handedly much like someone (ahem, Miller) did to my Texans last year. IF he only goes off like that one time, you spent $1.5M on 1 Win. Near 1% of your cap on a guaranteed Win on your schedule. Any GM would pay that and call it a steal.

In reality...... I think he will likely be good for about 6 solid games. I don't think he will be ready Week 1 like he wants everyone to think. If your GM is smart you sit him until Week 3 or 4. Foster is the type to say he's healthy when he's not b/c he's a true competitor. Bench him until he's truly 100% then unleash him. No matter who the teams are that you play, with the roster on the Dolphins that I'm looking at.....a 100% healthy Foster for 6 games will net you 5 Wins.

Will he get hurt after that? Yeah, probably. In reality I thought his best plan should have been going to a playoff team like the Packers, Pats or Cowboys that can sit him until Week 10, and then unleash a beast with no game tape in that system. I think the Fins fans will love this guy if you go in with lower expectations as far as number of games played. He will do things to your field that make you feel dirty afterwards :)

Good luck in 2016 I will be watching and rooting. Dolphins have been a team I've followed since I went to their training camp practice at THE U and met Dan Marino and Richmond Webb as a little kid.

2. Tin Indian

Tin Indian Rockin' The Bottom End Club Member

Feb 10, 2010
    Palm Bay Florida
    I think most of us are hoping that Foster can come in and mentor our young guys and not have to be the guy that has to carry the load all season. I don't think any of us think he can take that anymore.
    He can probably be the guy for a game or two, but really I think he needs to be on a hard pitch count and used sparingly. Glad to have him on the team and he is well worth the money paid!

Good Luck to you guys this year. You'll like Miller. The old regime completely under-utilized him here.

dolfan7171 likes this.
  3. dirtylandry

dirtylandry Well-Known Member

Aug 2, 2015
    This really is a cool way to look at things. The games he will be healthy for might contribute to 2-3 more wins. we go from 6-10, to 9-7 off the bat

4. Pandarilla

Pandarilla Purist Emeritus

Sep 10, 2009
    Boone, NC
    Did not know he was a stud blocker. That's probably what we need the most.

Ajayi lost weight to get shiftier, but we don't have a solid blitz pickup guy beyond Daniel Thomas.

Foster is a patient runner, which Drake is absolutely not.

Feeling a lot better about our backfield now. Thanks for the post...

Enjoy Miller, he's primed to breakout.

5. Unlucky 13

Unlucky 13 Team Raheem Club Member

Apr 24, 2012
    Troy, Virginia
    Thanks for the info and take. I hope that Foster can perform when asked and stay healthy. Similar to what Tin Indian said, I think you guys got the steal of the year in Lamar Miller. If you guys give him the ball and let him play, he could run for more than 1500 yards. Very young and low mileage too. Our previous staff had no clue.

dolphin25 likes this.
  6. CaribPhin

CaribPhin Guest

Where does this narrative that Daniel Thomas is a good blocker come from?

Sent from my OnePlus 3

eltos_lightfoot likes this.
  7. Boik14

Boik14 Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Nov 28, 2007
    New York
    Thanks for the in depth viewpoint on Foster. I'm very happy we signed him because while I like Ajayi, I think Foster compliments him well as they bring different skills. Additionally, Foster, from what I know, has always conducted himself well so maybe he can bring something in the leadership department to help a guy Ajayi or Drake. In the right role, he's a very valuable piece and a nice toy in Adam Gases house of fun. He's a player I don't mind swapping out for Miller because even though Miller is younger and faster, Foster if healthy is at least as good because he's a more complete player.

8. Pandarilla

Pandarilla Purist Emeritus

Sep 10, 2009
    Boone, NC
    Complete fabrication on my part based on his height/weight...

9. rafael

rafael Well-Known Member

Apr 6, 2008
    I don't believe Thomas is a poor blocker. He isn't awesome or anything, but he generally blocks the right guy. That alone probably made him our best pass blocker prior to signing Foster (not sure on Pead). That's why I'm happy with the Foster signing. We really need to get better in that regard. I think Foster's leadership and experience (my understanding is that he had an excellent rep as a leader in Houston and has always struck me as an intelligent player) will help our young backs immeasurably and it makes Thomas' return less likely. Although to be honest, I'm not sure if I like Thomas or Williams less. I'll celebrate anything that makes the return of either or both of those guys less likely.

10. Ohio Fanatic

Ohio Fanatic Twuaddle or bust Club Member

Nov 26, 2007
    Concord, MA
    good perspective. thanks.

I have no problem if he sits for 4 weeks, but I would love to see him come and play in week 2 and pull a Knowshown Moreno on the patsies. ....Then (I can dream) we beat them in week 17 when I'm there and we sweep the patsies and I rename my dog Arian.

dolfan7171 likes this.
  11. djphinfan

djphinfan Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Dec 20, 2007
    It was always the right move to sign him, our lack of experience in the backfield obviously, foster represents stability and production if the line is as good on the field as it is on paper..you know what your getting..

I'm very surprised he came back off this past injury, I thought he was the type to move on to other endeavors..

I said this months ago, I would use him to push Ajayi, and spell him when need be..let Ajayi sink or swim, if he sinks foster should keep us very competitive at the position.