1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Foster to work out with team tomorrow

Discussion in 'Miami Dolphins Forum' started by Colmax, Jul 17, 2016.

1. Colmax

Colmax Well-Known Member

Dec 12, 2007

Link: HERE

I'm intrigued. Foster knows how to be a back.

Finster likes this.
  2. Clark Kent

Clark Kent Fighter of the Nightman

May 9, 2008
    Foster is done. He missed almost all of last year with a severe groin tear and then tore his Achilles. His entire injury history is littered with soft tissue and ligament injuries. We already have Cam Wake on the roster, we don't need to sink anymore money into players with devastating injuries that more often than not, end careers.

3. Colmax

Colmax Well-Known Member

Dec 12, 2007
    While I agree, the work out doesn't hurt a bit and they get first hand knowledge of where he is. That's why I'm intrigued.

danmarino likes this.
  4. Larry Little

Larry Little Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Dec 16, 2007
    Nashville, TN
    We need help at RB, and Foster is at the top of a very short list of free agent veterans. It isn't like we have a ton of options. Besides, all we need is a guy who can contribute one season until next year's draft, which I think might have a historically great list of RB prospects.

Foster ain't 'Mister Right'... but, he might be 'Mister Right Now'.

5. jdang307

jdang307 Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Nov 29, 2007
    San Diego
    Doesn't cost us any resources AND he's not displacing anyone.

bakedmatt likes this.
  6. Unlucky 13

Unlucky 13 Team Raheem Club Member

Apr 24, 2012
    Troy, Virginia
    If he's paid much more than the minimum, it costs us cap space that we could otherwise roll over into 2017. He would also cut into Ajayi and Drake's playing time, giving everyone less of a look at what those two can do, and cloud whether or not we should spend a high pick on a RB in next year's draft. There are of course positive possibilities if he could play as well as he did in 2014, but I don't think that the odds are very high of that.

7. Mcduffie81

Mcduffie81 Wildcat Club Member

Mar 23, 2008
    Lake Worth, Fl.
    We need another back to have meaningful touches. Foster has a high ceiling and will come at a cheap price. Where's the downside? Won't stump Ajayi or Drakes development.

8. dirtylandry

dirtylandry Well-Known Member

Aug 2, 2015
    Depth, experience and potential starter. That is what we need. Jury is out on every back on this team. Foster is the perfect fit, if healthy enough. Does not want a long term deal. Does want to be the man. Has the Gase skill set.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

9. dirtylandry

Aug 2, 2015
    How was Jay's pass protection last year? Just curious. One thing to think about is having that liability, esp on third and long or obvious passing situations. You gotta think outside the box and forward. It is not about long term or taking away touches. This was to be expected as camp comes closer.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

10. Unlucky 13

Apr 24, 2012
    Troy, Virginia
    Pass pro is a known weakness for Ajayi, and Drake looked poor in that aspect in minicamp.

11. rdhstlr23

rdhstlr23 Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Dec 2, 2007
    Chicago, IL
    I can't believe I'm about to defend Mike Tannenbaum...

He did put together a roster that had them get to consecutive AFC Championship games with those guys.

Either way, my disagreement is that our roster isn't constructed with older players near the end of their rope. I think there is an argument to be made that we have some key players who are injury prone, but outside a few that I can name, what are the players you are referring to?

Cam Wake is 34.
    Mario Williams is 31 (I believe he has 4-5 years left if he wants it)
    Branden Albert is 31 (I believe he has 4-5 years left if he wants it and can remain healthy)

Other than that, we are insanely young.

Last year, we were the 3rd youngest team in the NFL averaging 25.95 years. They will increase a little with the substitution of Williams/Vernon, but we'll still be Top 5 most likely.

https://www.google.com/webhp?sourceid=chrome-instant&ion=1&espv=2&ie=UTF-8#q=youngest%20nfl%20teams

Unlucky 13 and CrunchTime like this.
  12. rdhstlr23

Dec 2, 2007
    Chicago, IL
    Go ahead. Bring in Arian Foster. The running game's success and future will be determined by the progress made by Jay Ajayi. The organization made a decision to move on from Lamar Miller. Arian Foster, coming off injuries to his groin and achilles, isn't going to do much to make fans forget Lamar Miller (while he's tearing it up in Houston).

Jay Ajayi could do that. We need to see what we have their first. I like Foster as an insurance policy.

13. dirtylandry

Aug 2, 2015
    The same Miller that struggled all year except for two games?

14. gunn34

gunn34 I miss Don & Dan

Jan 5, 2008
    Oviedo FL
    I'll pass on an aging vet with a serious injuy history whose best years are behind him.

shamegame13 likes this.
  15. bakedmatt

bakedmatt Well-Known Member

Mar 29, 2008
    Orlando, FL
    Assuming the money is reasonably low, the only person who should be against this is Damien Williams.

16. brandon27

brandon27 Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Dec 3, 2007
    Windsor, ON. CANADA
    Daniel Thomas says hello :lol:

17. rafael

rafael Well-Known Member

Apr 6, 2008
    IMO we need experience and leadership in our RB group. That may be more important than the number of carries he ultimately gets.

brandon27 likes this.
  18. Finster

Finster Finsterious Finologist

Jul 27, 2013
    We need to sign someone, can't go into the pre season with just Jay as a possible starter, because that's all he is, a possible starter.

Truth is, we should bring in a couple guys for TC, RB is a big fat ?.

19. rdhstlr23

Dec 2, 2007
    Chicago, IL
    Nah. The same Lamar Miller that finished 10th in the NFL in rushing yards, 2nd in yards per carry, and was a Jamaal Charles clone in 2014.

That guy.

20. Da 'Fins

Da 'Fins Season Ticket Holder Staff Member Club Member

Dec 19, 2007
    Birmingham, AL
    No offense, but this is a superficial take and is also short-sighted.

1. The groin injury is over and done with. He had a successful surgery and many players have come back from that. He was healthy enough to play in four games and get two straight games of 18 carries.

2. The achilles is a tough injury but given today's medical advancements, numerous players have come back from achilles tears. Terrell Suggs returned to action for the Ravens 5 1/2 months after he tore his achilles. Just after his 30th birthday. He had a big playoff run and contributed to the Ravens SB win in 2012. He had two very good seasons after that. This is at a position DE/OLB where leg explosion, quickness is critical. Foster has had 9 months since his achilles. He won't turn 30 for another month. If he works out well, and is healthy, then that is what matters

3. Age doesn't matter given where Miami is. It's not like he's going to get a massive deal, nor that Miami doesn't have cap space ($17 M under right now). And who cares if there are more vets on the team coming off injury? Either they can play or they can't. Your other option is Thomas - who is utterly worthless; Williams - who is not an every down type of back, and may not even make the team with Drake on it; Drake - a rookie who is really more of a 3rd down RB than an every down player; and Ajayi who has never started a game. He will be the starter; should be solid; but you can't guarantee he'll be healthy and there is no every down back after him. You literally have to have two every-down backs in the league these days.

4. Foster would not be signed to be a 25 carry starting RB. He's being considered as a player who can legitimately spell Ajayi. He'd be the only back on the roster who could do that. He can rest Ajayi. He should be able, if his achilles is healthy, to handle 8-12 carries easy - which is just what Miami needs as a reserve for Ajayi. And, occasionally near the end of the season he can get more carriers. He also adds a lot of experience, leadership, and instruction in the classroom and on the sideline. This is the ideal type of situation for him and for Miami.

Watch the Cardinals All or Nothing on Amazon and you'll see the value of a vet RB.

This is an absolute no brainer given the other options available.

21. jdang307

Nov 29, 2007
    San Diego
    Where are you getting your stats? They're way off.

And I'm sorry, not a Jamaal Charles clone. That's a little much.

22. rdhstlr23

Dec 2, 2007
    Chicago, IL
    Nope. They're not.

Got them straight from NFL.com

http://www.nfl.com/stats/categorystats?tabSeq=0&statisticCategory=RUSHING&conference=null&season=2014&seasonType=REG&d-447263-s=RUSHING_YARDS&d-447263-o=2&d-447263-n=1

In 2014, Lamar Miller's stats were nearly identical to Jamaal Charles'.

Here is Lamar's from that year: http://www.nfl.com/player/lamarmiller/2533034/profile
    Here is Jamaal's from that year: http://www.nfl.com/player/jamaalcharles/925/profile

Only thing different was Charles getting 4 additional receiving TDs. He did that on 12 more catches, that only produced 16 additional receiving yards. Lamar actually had more total yards in 2014.
    Again, I'd say in that year the two were nearly identical - ypc, rushing TDs, receiving yards, total yards, long runs (20+ and 40+). Very similar that year.

Finster likes this.
  23. jdang307

Nov 29, 2007
    San Diego
    Thought we were talking about 2015. You didn't write 2014 until mentioning Charles.

24. Finster

Jul 27, 2013
    Miller got into the EZ 10 times last year, thats 6th among RBs in the league, not too shabby.

25. CrunchTime

CrunchTime Administrator Retired Administrator

Nov 23, 2007
    Maybe another Moreno situation .He was dominant while he was healthy ...one game I believe he lasted.
    Then again if he is used sparingly in certain situations like scoring TDs while close to the end zone he may last longer .

Certainly the other backs will benefit from his experience.

26. Unlucky 13

Apr 24, 2012
    Troy, Virginia
    Very few RB numbers open. I wonder if Foster will take #34, now that Damian Williams has taken Miller's old #26. Handful of others that will obviously open up as players are cut.

27. Finster

Jul 27, 2013
    Yeah, as of right now only 34 is available, but there are probably a bunch that will open up later.