1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Headed to Washington DC on Sunday.... Any trip advice?

Discussion in 'Questions and Answers' started by vt_dolfan, Jun 19, 2016.

1. vt_dolfan

vt_dolfan Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Taking my family to DC for three days on Sunday next week. First time we've ever been. Wondered if anyone had any travel advice. Cool restaurants... Or even better I'm hoping to find some "secret" places to check out that most tourists don't know about...

Thanks in advance,
    Bryan

Unlucky 13 likes this.
  2. schmolioot

schmolioot Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Dec 3, 2007
    Orlando
    Haven't been there in years.

Do you have Smithsonian plans?

3. vt_dolfan

Yep.. Going to both Air and Space and History, as well as Arlington... We also contacted Bernie Sanders office to get tickets for a tour of the Capital which we are going on.

4. Unlucky 13

Unlucky 13 Team Raheem Club Member

Apr 24, 2012
    Troy, Virginia
    I hope that you and your family have a great time, VT. The Zoo is free, but the parking costs like $20. Its not the best, but they've done some nice things in recent years. Depending on where you're staying, the Metro is a great way to get into town so that you don't have to drive into DC itself, which can be hellish. If your hotel is close enough to talk to the station, Id recommend it, because tons of things downtown are actually fairly close together and an easy walk. I hope that the museums are totally open for you guys. They weren't for us the last time that we went up. I don't have any special places to recommend for food because I'm an extremely picky eater, lol. :lol:

5. vt_dolfan

Were staying in Alexandria near the Metro. Staying outside of DC was quite a bit less expensive. Im pretty sure we have the Zoo planned.. I know the kids want to see the Pandas.

Unlucky 13 likes this.
  6. Unlucky 13

Unlucky 13 Team Raheem Club Member

Apr 24, 2012
    Troy, Virginia
    How did the trip go, VT? Hope you guys had a good time. Living here, I sometimes forget that the history and things to see and do around DC and Virginia can be a big deal for those who live far away.

7. vt_dolfan

Were headed back to Vermont as we speak.. Lol. Trip was great.. We all Def want to come back to DC. Less museums next time.. More monuments. Went to a cool DC restaurant called Ted's Bulletin on 8th St... Loved the food there.

Visiting for the first time.. I was really proud we have such a beautiful Capital. All the buildings were so majestic....

Unlucky 13 likes this.