1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

The Mandela Effect

Discussion in 'Lounge' started by RickyNeverInhaled, Jun 10, 2016.

1. RickyNeverInhaled

RickyNeverInhaled Well-Known Member

Mar 15, 2009
    Alabama
    Who has heard of the Mandela Effect? I'm about to post a link that has basically taken over my life and it's got me searching for answers. Please watch this and let me know what you think
    http://youtu.be/lIjqZEAIkgE

2. McLovin

McLovin Resident Pats fan.

May 7, 2008
    North Cacalaka
    oh god. not this again.

there is a subreddit all about it.

3. MikeHoncho

MikeHoncho -=| Censored |=-

Nov 13, 2009
    Like when Burma no longer existed, replaced by Myanmar. (will always be Burma to me)

Last edited: Nov 3, 2017
  4. Fin D

Fin D Sigh

Nov 27, 2007
    WTF? Please tell me this is one big joke that people get is a joke and are perpetuating because its funny. People don't actually believe this....right?

5. McLovin

May 7, 2008
    North Cacalaka
    no, people actually believe this stuff. i had a friend call me up one night all freaked out about it. I had never heard of it and decided to research it and then i was like, FinD will not approve.

plus, it's just too Jesse Ventura/Alex Jones for me.

6. Fin D

Fin D Sigh

Nov 27, 2007
    Duuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuude.....I swear to god his name was Jesse Ventera!!!!!!!!!!

McLovin likes this.
  7. Alex44

Alex44 Boshosaurus Rex

Jan 7, 2008
    Hollywood, Florida
    We would be great friends Ricky. Great friends. lol

RickyNeverInhaled likes this.
  8. McLovin

May 7, 2008
    North Cacalaka
    Fin D? I swear his name was Finascious D? or FinD.

Fin D likes this.
  9. BlameItOnTheHenne

BlameItOnTheHenne Taking a poop

Aug 15, 2010
    Davie
    When you realize how much information your brain takes in on a daily basis, it's not crazy to misremember random stuff. Not that big of a deal.

10. Alex44

Alex44 Boshosaurus Rex

Jan 7, 2008
    Hollywood, Florida
    It's interesting because its a lot of people remembering the same events in the same incorrect way. That is an interesting phenomena regardless of what the cause is.

Pandarilla likes this.
  11. Dol-Fan Dupree

Dol-Fan Dupree Tank? Who is Tank? I am Guy Incognito.

Dec 11, 2007
    Like "Luke, I am your father."

12. Alex44

Alex44 Boshosaurus Rex

Jan 7, 2008
    Hollywood, Florida
    Personally I find all the movie ones uninteresting. I like the geography ones though....not because I believe them but because they are just interesting to listen to.

Devils Advocate Though: Our understanding of reality is actually very poor and mostly theoretical, so can one say with confidence that it's an impossibility? I would say our existence is the ultimate impossibility and yet here we are....in a universe we (IMO) can't hope to understand beyond a certain point. What WOULD a reality slip appear as if it were happening? Would anyone notice...would we even be able to notice?

I find it interesting due to the hypothetical questions it poses...not because of I'm compelled by its truth =P though I am crazy in other ways.

DrAstroZoom likes this.
  13. Dol-Fan Dupree

Dol-Fan Dupree Tank? Who is Tank? I am Guy Incognito.

Dec 11, 2007
    I have watched Empire Strikes Back at least 15 times over my life. It is weird to me that I remember that line wrong. It is such a big line. it is weird to me that a lot of people also remember it wrong.

ToddPhin likes this.
  14. Pandarilla

Pandarilla Purist Emeritus

Sep 10, 2009
    Boone, NC
    This Mandela Effect is one of the more mentally stimulating conspiracies. I haven't delved into it that much, but I'm one of those people who remember, "mirror, mirror, on the wall", the lion laying down with the lamb in the Bible, New Zealand being northeast of Australia, our planet being on the outskirts of the Milky Way Galaxy, etc. etc...

It reeks of psyop when you mess with the Bible. A lot of people put a positive spiritual spin on it ala 2012 or going from 3rd to 5th dimensions. I'm hesitant to confirm because those spiritualists tend to have watered down accounts of scripture to say the least.

I saw a youtube blurb where a guy was blaming CERN for messing with timetravel and interdimensional. Plausible but unprovable at the moment.

One main point is that the people will always remember it being a certain way. That is to say, if you're the one who has been transported, trying to bring up the differences will be met with people looking at you crazy. Which is why I tend to view it as a psyop.

Even my sister is like wtf when she looks at a current map of North and South America. If it is a psyop, it's the most impressive one I've ever witnessed as far as scope.

15. Rocky Raccoon

Rocky Raccoon Greasepaint Ghost Staff Member

Dec 2, 2007
    Jersey
    I can't watch the video at work, but I googled it and that **** is wild. I love conspiracies and this one is pretty interesting, even though I don't believe it.

16. RickyNeverInhaled

RickyNeverInhaled Well-Known Member

Mar 15, 2009
    Alabama
    It's no longer taken over my life but I still haven't found an answer for it, just theories that I don't buy. I'm freaked out by the changes in the Bible, geography, even human anamoty and skulls etc, the movie lines and product names bug me. What's your theory?

17. ToddPhin

ToddPhin Premium Member Luxury Box Club Member

Jul 6, 2012
    NC
    I’m a bit leery of the whole Mandela Effect theory stuff bc I know how the brain works and that it doesn’t employ a literal approach when forming its constructs or storing/interpreting/applying information. Most of us don’t possess photographic memories, so our brain will take the information it does recall and then piece in the gaps based on the beliefs and constructs it’s formed throughout our lives. This is what allows magicians and illusionists to play tricks on our minds.

For instance, we think we remember it as Oscar Meyer (instead of Mayer) bc it phonetically sounds like Meyer. In doing so, our brains will change our visual memory of its label to an “e” instead of an “a” bc it’s conditioned to fill in gaps.

We think we remember the line as “Luke, I am your father” bc the brain is tricking us. It was such a powerful line at the time we heard it, that the only way to store it in our memory banks and be able to repeat it to others and have them immediately understand what we’re saying is by adding “Luke” to the beginning of the sentence, so that it’s not just the ambiguous “No, I am your father”. I mean, if I were to randomly tell you “No, I am your father”, would you know what the hell I’m talking about? No, you wouldn’t. So the powerful brain subconsciously fills in the gaps by changing it to “Luke, I am your father” so that the listener can immediately recall and identify the main guts of the line. The brain stores info in the easiest way it is to recall and recognize. It’s kinda like simple word or pattern recognition. For instance, if I say the word “Luke” and ask you to tell me the first thing that comes to mind, you’ll say Star Wars. If we’re in Lucas Oil Stadium watching the Colts vs the Niners, and I ask you what’s the first thing that comes to mind when I say the color “red”, there’s a good chance you might say the 49ers. We don’t tell our brains how to function. Our brains tell us.

This is why it’s easy for our minds to be tricked into recalling a large black actor named “Sinbad” playing the lead role in a genie movie called Kazaam starring a different large black man (Shaq), especially when there was a Sinbad movie preview playing in a Shaq movie.
    Some of our minds will recall the movie’s name as “Shazaam” instead of the literal title “Kazaam” bc most of us don’t actually REMEMBER the title’s actual name, so this is another instance of our brains filling in the blanks by using a similarly sounding word/saying that it does recall and which does apply to genies and magic- “Shazaam”. Hence, if the individual recalls the words spoken during a magic act as “ala kazaam”, then he recalls the movie title as Kazaam. If, however, the individual recalls the words spoken during a magic act as “Shazaam”, then he recalls the movie title as Shazaam.

18. ToddPhin

Jul 6, 2012
    NC
    When David Blaine performs a crazy card act or Copperfield makes a plane disappear, we’re not suddenly transported into a parallel universe in those very moments. They’re just instances of our minds playing tricks on us.

19. texanphinatic

texanphinatic Senior Member

Nov 26, 2007
    Detroit Metro Area MI
    Who cares about this crap? Anyone who can help me remember the name of that genie movie starring Sinbad?

I would, but gotta read some Bearenstain Bears books to my kid.

What?

20. KeyFin

KeyFin Well-Known Member

Nov 1, 2009
    Okay, so I bought in and clicked the link....and then I sat there speechless thinking how freaking stupid the person was making the video. Then I saw his screenname, moneybags73, and it all made sense.....he's some piece of garbage internet marketer trying to make a buck on ******ed conspiracy theories. I barely made it 3 minutes before having to give up on the stupidity.

21. ToddPhin

Jul 6, 2012
    NC
    Hahahaha, in tonight’s episode of Mr. Robot they show Darlene sitting in bed staring at her laptop..... which is busy downloading:

[​IMG]

This show is so great. :lol:

Guess they’re hinting that the show is what’s currently happening in our parallel world.

texanphinatic likes this.
  22. KeyFin

KeyFin Well-Known Member

Nov 1, 2009
    Sure, but the bigger problem is that he's trying to twist it into some type of conspiracy theory...like the government is using some type of secret ray gun to scramble our thoughts or something. I just couldn't listen to it.

23. KeyFin

KeyFin Well-Known Member

Nov 1, 2009
    Yup, I just hated it that much that I had to throw the extra comment in. =)

Aqua4Ever04 likes this.