1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Ryan Tannehill best games compilation

Discussion in 'Miami Dolphins Forum' started by Brasfin, May 15, 2016.

1. Brasfin

Brasfin Well-Known Member

Apr 27, 2013
    Brazil
    I'd like to start this post by first acknowledging that everyone has the right to an opinion... I know a lot of people are divided on Tannehill, but I wanted to make a thread that lists some videos of Ryan Tannehill's best games and best plays throughout his NFL career so far, so that we can all see exactly what he's capable of.

We all know Tannehill has his flaws, but I think way too many people think he is a bottom QB in the league and that it's all he'll ever be. Hell, there are people saying a 7th round rookie who has never played an NFL down is already clearly better than Tannehill. You can make the argument that he's not doing enough to win by himself and that he hasn't played well in the 4th quarter, or displayed good leadership traits, sure.. those are things he needs to improve on.

But lets focus on his strengths right now, I mean the guy is the Dolphins starting QB and we should support him and cheer for him to get better every step of the way.

Here's a list of the highlights of games I really liked from Tannehill. Note that most of these games he has at least some decent protection from the OL.

One of the ones I most liked was the Seahawks game his rookie year near the bottom of the list. It just looks like he is really in control that game, makes some improvised runs and even leads a 4th quarter game winning drive. (Check it out, DJ)

I really think that with this new coaching staff and the ability to audible along with a much improved OL, we will see a much better Ryan Tannehill, playing to his strengths and actually taking the reigns of the offense.

2015- Pats (downfield throws, improvised run)

2015- Texans (consecutive completion record)

2014- Vikings (4th quarter comeback, downfield throws)

2014- Broncos (shootout vs Manning, running TD)

2014- Chargers (redzone TDs, long run)

2014- Bears (long run, downfield throws)

2013- Falcons (4th quarter comeback)

2013- Bengals (4th quarter comeback)

2013- Patriots (4th quarter comeback)

2012- Jaguars (downfield throws, improvised run)

2012- Seahawks (4th quarter comeback, improvised runs, downfield throws)

2012- Bengals

2012- Colts

2012- Rams

2. twistedjay

twistedjay Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Sep 25, 2014
    Hiruma78, resnor and Brasfin like this.
  3. Brasfin

Apr 27, 2013
    Brazil
    I remember that play... beautiful throw. I think it was 2014, Lazor was already the OC, IIRC. I think that's that one game where Tannehill was getting pummeled almost every play (sounds familiar), yet we still managed to hang on until the end.

resnor and twistedjay like this.
  4. resnor

resnor Derp Sherpa

Nov 25, 2007
    New Hampshire
    Tannehill has really been let down by teammates in a couple games, costing him 4th quarter GW drives. Wallace against Carolina springs to mind. That throw at the end, on the run, was beautiful. But it was to a Wallace.

fins1 and Brasfin like this.
  5. cbrad

cbrad .

Dec 21, 2014
    Seahawks game is still the best for me. He came back from behind multiple times to win the game. It was the first game where I thought we might actually have a franchise QB if he can do it consistently. Tannehill's gotten better since then, but I'm still waiting for more frequent performances like his in the Seahawks game.

Pauly, number21 and Brasfin like this.
  6. Brasfin

Apr 27, 2013
    Brazil
    Seems like in his first couple of years in the league he was less technical, but played better unscripted football. It's like he depended more on his athletic abilities, both running and passing. Now it looks like he took a complete 180 turn under Joe Philbin and makes less overall mistakes, but tends to not play well when things go wrong and when he needs to make a play himself. I'm hoping Gase can revert him back to some of his natural tendencies, while still keeping mistakes to a mininum. If/when that happens, we'll have a heck of a QB, IMO.

Mcduffie81, resnor and cbrad like this.
  7. rafael

rafael Well-Known Member

Apr 6, 2008
    IMO Tannehill's passing is very consistent. I think his percentage of bad throws compares favorably to the elites. The inconsistency comes from the decision-making, but my review of the last few seasons places much of that on the coaching. I thought the play-calling too often put Tannehill in situations where there simply wasn't a good decision to be made or the play call/situation provided an unreasonably small window to make a play.

Ohio Fanatic, Pauly, smahtaz and 3 others like this.
  8. djphinfan

djphinfan Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Dec 20, 2007
    theres some talent there, highlights are fun.

#1 priority is to give this particular player time to throw..

9. cbrad

cbrad .

Dec 21, 2014
    Yeah, what Philbin did to Tannehill really fits Philbin's personality. Would be awesome to see a half-bull**** "scientific" study on how coaches' personalities change QB play haha!

cuchulainn, Brasfin and resnor like this.
  10. Fin D

Fin D Sigh

Nov 27, 2007
    Or give him a tool or two to deal with the pass rush, like a balanced gameplan or audibles, for example.

Shane Falco, Brasfin and resnor like this.
  11. MikeHoncho

MikeHoncho -=| Censored |=-

Nov 13, 2009
    Or coaches.

resnor, Rocky Raccoon and Fin D like this.
  12. RoninFin4

RoninFin4 Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Dec 11, 2007
    Cincinnati, Ohio
    I think you've hit the nail on the head Brasfin. The memorable games that stand out to me for Tannehill are:

2012 - Seahawks
    2014 - Broncos
    2014 - Vikings
    2015 - Texans
    2015 - Patriots

Only other games I can think of would be maybe 2012 Cardinals and 2014 Raiders.

number21 and Brasfin like this.
  13. bran

bran Senior Member

Dec 20, 2007
    New Hampshire
    look how fast and thoroughly martin was beat on that play.

the vikings game(followed by patriots 2013) was my favorite, the whole game he was getting his *** kicked, by when given a sliver of time to throw he was making big time throws downfield, then when it looked like we lost the game due to the fumble on the kickoff, he led us down for the win. i would also nominate the game in the snow in pittsburgh 2013 as a good game as well.

cuchulainn likes this.
  14. Rocky Raccoon

Rocky Raccoon Greasepaint Ghost Staff Member

Dec 2, 2007
    Jersey
    People overlook it, but that Pittsburgh snow game in 2013 was a damn fine performance by Tannehill, and I don't think he'd ever played in snow like that before.

15. vt_dolfan

vt_dolfan Season Ticket Holder Club Member

I think Ryan is a QB who needs to build his confidence. When he is feeling it.. You can tell in his demeanor. He's up on his tip toes bouncing.. He's animated.

I think something that isn't touched on a lot.. But will turn out to be very important is 17 having a coach that has his back.

I think we can all agree now how bad Philbin was. Gase is very different... Will do wonders for his confidence.

Some QBs supply their own confidence. 17 just isn't that guy..

smahtaz, djphinfan and resnor like this.
  16. dolphin25

dolphin25 Well-Known Member

Nov 22, 2014
    How can a QB that has no confidence in himself be a leader?

Finster likes this.
  17. rdhstlr23

rdhstlr23 Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Dec 2, 2007
    Chicago, IL
    Boy, those 2012 games were so enjoyable to watch. He had so much more creativity then. He was more willing to run, throw off the run, etc. I hope he gets back to that.
    It's also interesting to hear Marv Alberts, 3 times in 3 different highlights, talk about how Tannehill has so much audible control as a rookie.

Brasfin and resnor like this.
  18. Rocky Raccoon

Dec 2, 2007
    Jersey
    Who says he has no confidence in himself? Besides you of course.

Shane Falco and resnor like this.
  19. djphinfan

djphinfan Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Dec 20, 2007
    he can't..but he may have confidence in himself and still not be able to lead men..

ryans is a lead by example guy, his toughness and the fact that he's never called out anyone on his line is admirable..

leadership comes easy for some, notsomuch for others...such is life..ryan is not chad pennington.

20. Stringer Bell

Stringer Bell Post Hard, Post Often Club Member

Mar 22, 2008
    You can be successful with Tannehills temperament, but it is not ideal IMO.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G920A using Tapatalk

Bpk likes this.
  21. dolphin25

Nov 22, 2014
    Who are you talking about? There were no QB's mentioned by name

22. resnor

resnor Derp Sherpa

Nov 25, 2007
    New Hampshire
    VT didn't say Tannehill had no confidence. Perhaps Tannehill had no confidence in his teammates and coaches. That would make perfect sense.

Shane Falco and vt_dolfan like this.
  23. Rocky Raccoon

Dec 2, 2007
    Jersey
    Well, the thread is about Ryan Tannehill. The poster above you talked about Ryan Tannehill's confidence. Then you said "how can a QB who has no confidence in himself be a leader?"

This wasn't a tough case to crack.

24. vt_dolfan

He has confidence in himself... But it's not the kind you see in a QB with an alpha mentality. Some QBs just have a natural belief in themselves that absolutely nothing is going to keep them out of the EZ. Like I said you can tell w when Ryan is dealing... He's just a different QB.

dolphin25 likes this.
  25. Rocky Raccoon

Dec 2, 2007
    Jersey
    Ryan may not be the rah rah type, but his toughness speaks for itself and it's absolutely something the other players in the locker room take note of. There are more ways to show leadership other than just yelling and screaming.

That's not to say Ryan doesn't have improvements to make on the leadership front, but he's not bereft of it either.

number21 and resnor like this.
  26. vt_dolfan

Right confidence his line will hold up... Coaches will put him in right position.

Dome QBs wouldn't care.... They don't need an environment they feel they can be successful in.. They believe they create that for themselves.

It's not a knock per say on Ryan. And consistent success could lead him to gain some of that...

resnor likes this.
  27. vt_dolfan

Think your confusing toughness for confidence. Confidence means you see an open receiver and you don't hesitate for a nano second. Marinos definition of open and say Ryan's are different. It means reacting.. Not thinking. It means to you the basket looks like a bathtub...

Being willing to stand in there to take a beating... That's toughness.

dolphin25 likes this.
  28. ckparrothead

ckparrothead Draft Forum Moderator Luxury Box

Dec 1, 2007
    Give him time to throw and a ground game, folks around the league and in the media will start about him like he's finally arrived. But then he will probably struggle a bit the next year or something like that. That's the kind of player he is.

I wish we had some idea by now what kind of playoff performer he is. Grumble. #ThanksObama.

jdang307, Bpk and vt_dolfan like this.
  29. dolphin25

Nov 22, 2014
    Then why pray tell did you even ask your question if the person above me (who was not me) said he didn't have confidence? And where did I say that he did not? I asked how a QB could be a leader if he didn't have confidence. My question was about any QB.

30. dolphin25

Nov 22, 2014
    Feidler was very tough too, do you consider him a leader?

Fin-O likes this.
  31. dolphin25

Nov 22, 2014
    Right, Marino would say he could throw it through the eye of a hurricane, Tannehill would check it down.

32. dolphin25

Nov 22, 2014
    based on what we have seen so far in playoff type games, it is not too good. The Jets and Bills game where either game we win we are in, he played like total crap.

33. ckparrothead

ckparrothead Draft Forum Moderator Luxury Box

Dec 1, 2007
    There are zero conclusions to be drawn about how he will play in the playoffs until he actually plays in the playoffs.

cuchulainn, Pauly, resnor and 3 others like this.
  34. Finster

Finster Finsterious Finologist

Jul 27, 2013
    This is where most of my doubts about him are, you NEED to be a leader at the QB position, he has to find it within himself to be a real leader.

If Gase can help him find it, great.

35. vt_dolfan

Just gonna have to wait and see. If he starts having success on a consistent basis... And has games where 17 is the one taking the game over...who knows what can happen.

Really it's not 17s confidence that may be most important, as much as its the confidence his team has that Ryan can be the **** when he needs to. Down 10 with 5 mins left.. His team needs to feel like thats an eternity for RT17... His defense needs to have the confidence that all they gotta do is get the ball back in Ryan's hands.

36. Brasfin

Apr 27, 2013
    Brazil
    Looked for highlights of that game but couldn't find any that had more than a couple of Tannehill's plays. They mostly showed Big Ben, the defenses, and that one lateral play at the end where we almost lost in the final seconds haha.

37. smahtaz

smahtaz Pimpin Ain't Easy

That TD by Clay was amazing.

cbrad likes this.
  38. Shane Falco

Shane Falco Banned

Nov 22, 2015
    You try so hard it's cute.

39. resnor

resnor Derp Sherpa

Nov 25, 2007
    New Hampshire
    Cute isn't the word I would use.

40. Fin-O

Fin-O Initiated Club Member

Sep 28, 2015
    His leadership ability and how he may or may not perform in the playoffs is trivial.

Can we start at can he be a consistently good NFL starting QB first?

Pauly likes this.