1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Doughty

Discussion in 'Miami Dolphins Forum' started by dolphin25, Apr 30, 2016.

1. dolphin25

dolphin25 Well-Known Member

Nov 22, 2014
    Doughty! You know I love this pick! Great character, great leader, got better every year too. I am stocked for this pick to be made. Gives me great confidence in the people picking players now.

Brandon will know the offense as well as anyone on the team, he is a football junkie who will know the playbook backwards and forwards.

2. Finster

Finster Finsterious Finologist

Jul 27, 2013
    I gave a shout out for you in the draft thread.

dolphin25 likes this.
  3. dolphin25

Nov 22, 2014
    I went to look for it, but could not find it

Redwine4all likes this.
  4. dolphin25

Nov 22, 2014
    all 3 of the WKU guys I thought would get drafted got drafted, I think I need to be a scout

5. dolphin25

Nov 22, 2014
    Doughty’s 1[SUP]st[/SUP] year as a starter I saw him play, his number were not that good 14 TD and 14 INT’s, but what little I saw of him, I was like wow this kid can play.
    The next year going into the season I told a WKU fan you guys have a good QB. They were like eh, he is ok. I thought wow, just watch what he does. His second year he threw 49 TD’s and 10 INT’s and was the league MVP and also the Bahama Bowl MVP.
    Going into his 3[SUP]rd[/SUP] year as the starter WKU had a meet and great in Louisville. I thought, I’m going to that, I want to see\meet this kid. So we drove the 1.5 hours to see what he was all about. Got there a little late, but when we walked in Brandon was talking and joking with a little kid about 6 years old. I watched him for a bit just to see how he interacted with people He spoke to a former WKU coach and joked with him about who threw the most INT’s. I walked out to the car to put something in the trunk. On the way back in Brandon was leaving. I kinda nodded to him, and he nodded back. I told him I was a big fan and he stopped and talked to me. I expected someone arrogant, but Brandon was so humble it was funny. I told him he was getting a lot of press for the start of the season. He replied, “Yeah what is up with that?” We only talked for 10 minutes. But I seemed like I had been talking to an old friend I had not seen in a while and we were just catching up on things. I came away very impressed.
    That season he threw for 48 TD’s and 9 INT’s. There were several games he played very little in the 4[SUP]th[/SUP] quarter too. He was the league MVP again, and the Bowl game MVP
    He is a player and a quality guy as well. Glad he on the Dolphins.

6. Finster

Jul 27, 2013
    HOLY 25!! They got your guy!!!

page 21

dolphin25 and xphinfanx like this.
  7. dolphin25

Nov 22, 2014
    Doughty was actually coached by Marino too..............

Finster likes this.
  8. Wildcat23

Wildcat23 Here kitty kitty

Nov 9, 2009
    I'm ok with this pick. Itll make for some better QB discussion thats for sure.(no not QB controversy discussion) Matt Moore's dialog is all but used up. Its exciting to have an interesting prospect in the pipeline at QB.

eltos_lightfoot likes this.
  9. Unlucky 13

Unlucky 13 Team Raheem Club Member

Apr 24, 2012
    Troy, Virginia
    I'm normally fundamentally opposed to drafting players as old as he is, but he was a 7th rounder, and will never be expected to be more than a backup, so with all of the other positives that he brings I'm ok with it. Hopefully he can make it, and be our backup QB as soon as 2017.

10. dolphin25

Nov 22, 2014
    old? he could play into his late 30's. I take an 11 year career.

11. Unlucky 13

Apr 24, 2012
    Troy, Virginia
    When you draft a guy who will be 25 in his first season, you are not only almost certainly going to get a shorter career than from a guy who's 21, but you're also getting a player who's likely closer to his ceiling and won't develop as much. Its less of an issue at quarterback, but its still there. I was enraged that we threw away a 2nd round pick on John Beck in 2007. However, since Doughty will never be expected to be more than a backup, and has only an outside shot to even make the roster right now, I'm not going to fuss.

number21 likes this.
  12. dolphin25

Nov 22, 2014
    never expected by only you.

13. Unlucky 13

Apr 24, 2012
    Troy, Virginia
    Only me, eh? There are a few guys here who are mad that we used a 7th rounder one him. I'd hardly say I'm alone in not having high expectations.

cuchulainn likes this.
  14. Finster

Jul 27, 2013
    Great value QB in the 7th imo.

dolphin25 likes this.
  15. dolphin25

Nov 22, 2014
    I am positive he and likely the coaching staff don't share your thinking.

16. dolphin25

Nov 22, 2014
    I liked Dougthy, Prescott, and Lynch going into the draft.

17. Finster

Jul 27, 2013
    You've been pounding the table for Doughty from the jump, and they went out and got your guy, that's awesome and you should enjoy it, 2 thumbs up!
    :up::up:

18. dolphin25

Nov 22, 2014
    I almost cried :) Although I really wanted him to go to the best team for him, and I suppose it all worked out. I know he is excited by it.

19. Fin D

Fin D Sigh

Nov 27, 2007
    FTR, I hope Doughty is great.

However, I think its beyond ****ing hilarious that the OP of all people likes a QB whose NFL draft profile http://www.nfl.com/draft/2016/profiles/brandon-doughty?id=2555302 says:

- When he feels protected, can play a confident and intelligent brand of football.
    - Can be rattled in the pocket and will throw without feet being set rather than sliding around in the pocket.
    - Appeared to lose confidence and began rushing throws and footwork fell apart.
    - Doesn't have athleticism to escape the rush or make plays with his legs.
    - Lacking NFL-*caliber arm strength.

He's basically Thill with less arm, mobility and athleticism.

This pretty much proves the OP's problem with Thill is not based in reality.

20. dolphin25

Nov 22, 2014
    Yeah, 48 TD's and 9 int, he was rattled all the time. 71% completions ratio, yeah he was rattled. 49 TD's and 10 INT's the year before, 67.9 % completions, yeah he was rattled all the time.

League MVP 2 years in a row. Championship MVP, Bowl game MVP 2 years in row....... yeah all kinda proof he was rattled LOL.

you do not put up those kinds of stats and awards if you are rattled in the pocket, nice try at negative though.

21. dWreck

dWreck formerly dcaf

Oct 23, 2011
    Sebring, FL
    Soooo.... he's a godsent QB that was drafted as a 7th round project with 'hopes' of being a competent backup because.....? Does he have no issues?

No offense but Fin D just nailed you. I hope he turns out to be great for us. I love the story of a high character Miami native and fan making the team. Still, that's pretty funny. :lol:

resnor and Fin D like this.
  22. dolphin25

Nov 22, 2014
    nailed me how how exactly? In what way exactly?

I've seen every single game he played last year. You do not put up the stats he put up being rattled. I understand that you cant comprehend that, but that is the way it is. They have to find something negative to say about every player. The fact is again, you don't put up those stats being rattled. The comment is a joke.

I thought he was better then Tannehill 2 years ago.

He lead all of football in completion percentage, if he is getting rattled, what are all the other QB's being?

I don't know that Doughty will be great, or if the will be given a fair shot, but I do know he can play QB and put up great numbers. I also know that the stats alone prove the rattled comment is a joke. Go watch some tape.

23. Not So Fast

Not So Fast Well-Known Member

Dec 31, 2012
    Lake Worth, FL
    He was interviewed on 560 WQAM this morning. He seems like a good guy and with a great passion for football.

24. resnor

resnor Derp Sherpa

Nov 25, 2007
    New Hampshire
    Doughty is our Tom Brady! Our Russell Wilson!

25. dolphin25

Nov 22, 2014
    I tried to listen to that, but couldn't get it. I was surprised at how down to earth he was. I mean I am a old nobody and he talked to me for 10 minutes like I was his favorite uncle or something. He is a film rat for sure

26. ckparrothead

ckparrothead Draft Forum Moderator Luxury Box

Dec 1, 2007
    He just shared some stories about he and Marino. He went to high school with Marino's son but also Marino was hosting a foreign exchange student named John that Brandon got close with and used to drive home from school every day, so he shared how he just used to hang out at the Marino house and zip-line down from the house into the lake in front of their house, etc. Said Marino came to the practice field one day and wanted to throw with them, complained that he's an old man and needs to warm up his arm, rotated his right arm two times and then rocketed a 60 mph fastball at him. Said that to hear Dan talking about him and saying nice things about him as a player is completely surreal, because he idolized the man growing up.

It was funny that when Gase phoned him up to tell him they were drafting him, the first thing Gase said to him was "Did your arm fall off? Are you in a jail cell right now? What happened? We have no idea why you're still available."

I believe that has been Marino's sentiment as well. Joe Rose shared that he was with Dan and Dan was saying he couldn't believe Doughty fell to where he did because he watched all of the quarterbacks and Doughty throws it better than most of these bigger name, bigger school guys who went ahead of him.

I concur with Dan on that. He compares pretty favorably to Jared Goff with the primary differences being that Jared's tempo in his decision making is more consistently up than Brandon's, and he handles pressure a little bit better. That's what makes Goff a #1 overall and Doughty a 7th rounder, I guess. That and Doughty isn't very well trained as an athlete, runner.

I couldn't believe that 14 quarterbacks went before Doughty. That's amazing.

As you say, Brandon is a genuinely good soul. He also has the benefit of having been coached by Jeff Brohm so he's got grounding in west coast and NFL passing concepts, play calling, etc. He has played under center, he's turned his back to the defense on play-action tons whether it be under center or in the pistol. He uses the middle of the field, short middle, intermediate middle, deep middle. Some guys with NFL arms don't really use the middle very well, they prefer to sling it to the sidelines where the decision making gets easier but the throws are harder. Doughty does both. He throws with touch, gets a good spin. I don't think there's a single quarterback in this year's draft whose accuracy is head and shoulders above Doughty's, but I do think there are many whose accuracy is head and shoulders below Doughty's. I like the speed of Doughty's feet in his drop. He knows to get out of his stance in a hurry, really explode with his feet into his drop, speeding up his decision making and tempo. He commonly throws with anticipation, ball out of his hands as the player is making his break. You look at him against LSU and from a decision making standpoint he was not overwhelmed at all, especially as the game got on and the rain detracted from the pass rush.

Adam Gase has made it a point of saying that he can help quarterbacks get used to pressure in the pocket. It was what he targeted with Jay Cutler and supposedly that improved greatly under Gase's tutelage. He's said that he wants to do the same with Tannehill because that's been an issue. If he can do that with Brandon Doughty as well then you should really have something.

Can Gase do it? It seems like he's got a great understanding of the task because he's not putting it all on the quarterback. The first thing he's doing is behind the scenes fight pretty hard for a dramatic increases in pass protection efficiency for Ryan Tannehill. That was one of the reasons he liked and fought for Ezekiel Elliott. It's one of the reasons he has been lobbying for the front office to spend resources on guards even though they don't want to. There's nobody happier that Laremy Tunsil fell in their lap and now he gets to go to camp thinking that at the very worst I've got Branden Albert, Laremy Tunsil, Mike Pouncey, Jermon Bushrod and Ja'Wuan James protecting Ryan Tannehill.

I think Mike Martz would have loved a Brandon Doughty to run his offense. And to tell you the truth if things don't work out with Clyde Christensen that would be a name to watch for to come on and be Gase's offensive coordinator, if there ever comes a time when Gase wants to separate himself from the play calling.

27. dolphin25

Nov 22, 2014
    here is the podcast https://player.fm/series/560-wqam/brandon-doughty thanks for your input

28. ckparrothead

Dec 1, 2007
    Here are the EIGHT friggin touchdowns he threw on Marshall in 2014 to ruin their undefeated season. Plus really the ninth touchdown, that two-point conversion to win the game in overtime. They didn't bother playing for 2nd overtime. When they scored what should have been the tying touchdown in OT1, they went for the 2-point conversion to win or lose the game right there, and Doughty won it.

EIGHT touchdowns.

#1: https://youtu.be/fMsvUfbdN3g?t=622
    #2: https://youtu.be/fMsvUfbdN3g?t=864
    #3: https://youtu.be/fMsvUfbdN3g?t=1345
    Bonus: https://youtu.be/fMsvUfbdN3g?t=1987
    #4: https://youtu.be/fMsvUfbdN3g?t=2062
    #5: https://youtu.be/fMsvUfbdN3g?t=3460
    #6: https://youtu.be/fMsvUfbdN3g?t=4843
    Bonus: https://youtu.be/fMsvUfbdN3g?t=7430
    #7: https://youtu.be/fMsvUfbdN3g?t=7918
    #8: https://youtu.be/fMsvUfbdN3g?t=10211
    2PT: https://youtu.be/fMsvUfbdN3g?t=10326

It was an unbelievable performance. At the time Marshall were ranked 24th in the nation and vying for one of the New Years bowl games. They were undefeated, beating opponents by an average of something ludicrous like 40 points a game. The DEFENSE had held the previous 11 opponents to an average of 16.5 points per game, which is amazing for college. In comes Brandon Doughty and he threw EIGHT touchdowns plus the 2-point conversion to win the game, plus he threw what could have been two more touchdowns as his throws were accurate to open receivers but were dropped. Incredible, can't say enough about this game.

29. dolphin25

Nov 22, 2014
    I watched the game, it was awesome. There were many game this year he sat or played little in the 4th quarter or his number would be higher.

30. ckparrothead

Dec 1, 2007
    Some very interesting statistics that make me re-think what I had been perceiving about Brandon Doughty under pressure.

http://www.milehighreport.com/2016/4/11/11392352/pffs-pre-draft-qb-analysis

If you look at these stats on the pure basis of how often did Doughty make something good happen (a completion or drop) in the face of pressure, he's 1.8σ above normal for this class. That's remarkable. It's something that I started to notice a little bit more as I dug into him post-Draft and I was trying to explain what I felt about him in terms of his pro style experience, and the weakness against pressure. What I noticed is that I'm not giving him near the credit he deserves for doing exactly what you're supposed to do in the face of pressure, which is to get the ball out of your hands and hit your hot receivers. When you really pay close attention you're seeing that he does that a lot.

I think ever since the Weeden disaster I've been careful to try and find instances where a QB has to reset his feet in the face of pressure and then completes the ball. Maybe that's why I have the perception that Doughty doesn't do well against pressure. But it's not as if he's not handling it at all. He's handling it in a very classic pro style way, getting the ball to his hot routes and outlet options. He put the ball right on an open receiver's hands 55% of the time he was pressured, and only took a negative result on 12% of pressures. Both of those figures are the best in the entire class of QBs.

resnor likes this.
  31. resnor

resnor Derp Sherpa

Nov 25, 2007
    New Hampshire
    I hope he is s good as you guys are saying. Would be "nice" to have a legit controversy at QB.

Fin D likes this.
  32. dolphin25

Nov 22, 2014
    Thank you :) I've been saying all along that pressure does not rattle him as was stated. If you look at the TD's you posted yesterday he has that slight movement in the pocket at the feel of the pass rush and makes the throw.