1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Grier on Xavien Howard

Discussion in 'Miami Dolphins Forum' started by Pandarilla, Apr 29, 2016.

1. Pandarilla

Pandarilla Purist Emeritus

Sep 10, 2009
    Boone, NC
    Sceeto, number21 and Finster like this.
  2. Newmpiece

Newmpiece Banned

Oct 3, 2013
    New Jersey
    Typical dolphin BS. Have the steal of the first round and then trade our 4th rd pick to move up 4 spots for a player that definately would have been there when we picked. Plus there were better cbs like Alexander and Fuller on the board. Then we use our 3rd round pick on a backup running back who will primarily be a kick returner. And now we don't pick til the 5th Rd. We could have Ragland and Fuller instead of these scrubs. I hate this team so much

tirty8 likes this.
  3. RachelD

RachelD Active Member

Jan 13, 2016
    Seattle WA
    Makes me wonder if you hate this team so much..maybe you should find a new one perhaps?

4. muskrat21

muskrat21 Well-Known Member

May 11, 2014
    so, you know all 32 nfl teams draft boards and player rankings and you know all 32 nfl teams possible trade situations in the draft? Why aren't you playing the lotto right now if you know all those things, you should also know the lotto numbers.

LiferYank likes this.
  5. invid

invid Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Dec 9, 2012
    This isn't a strong draft. Seems Phins are getting their players, depth or otherwise, and they're getting them at the top of the draft. Can't tell how anything is gonna go for a couple years.

6. danmarino

danmarino Tua is H1M! Club Member

Sep 4, 2014

How do you know that no other teams ahead of the Dolphins weren't gunning for him?

7. byroan

byroan Giggity Staff Member Administrator Luxury Box

Nov 25, 2007
    NC
    Bears traded back after we took Howard....

8. brandon27

brandon27 Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Dec 3, 2007
    Windsor, ON. CANADA
    Probably wouldnt have been there since the rumor was the Bears were going to take him. But... hate on. Move on. :wave:

9. Pandarilla

Sep 10, 2009
    Boone, NC
    Nah, exactly their MO actually. Grier said they were worried about 2 teams snagging him.

Tannenbaum loves corners ever since Madison and Surtain dominated the division. This kid Coleman patterns his game after Darelle Revis and, wait for it, Byron Maxwell. He's a great fit for what they want to do.

10. tirty8

tirty8 Well-Known Member

Jan 2, 2016
    Wha-what are you talking about. Newmpiece was spot on. SMH

11. Newmpiece

Newmpiece Banned

Oct 3, 2013
    New Jersey
    Sure Howard could be a solid corner... But there were others available specifically Alexander who some had us mocking at 13. To waste a 4th Rd pick to move up four spots is crazy. Would 'you rather have Alexander Fuller and a 4th or Ragland fuller and a 4th rd pick. Seems pretty dumb to me. No need to make that trade and then we make our only pick for the next what like 60 picks on a running back that can't block and will only really be used for special teams. If your gonna trade up should've grown some balls and moved up for Jack. Even if it was a 4th and a 5th we could have Tunsil, Jack and Fuller under that scenario

Pandarilla likes this.
  12. muskrat21

muskrat21 Well-Known Member

May 11, 2014
    alexander doesnt fit our team and fuller had micro surgery and might not even be ready to play this season. ragland is a 2 down lb'er. i rather have howard who fits our system and had a 37% catch rate for wr he covered, 3rd best by any CB in the nfl draft.

Pandarilla likes this.
  13. Rocky Raccoon

Rocky Raccoon Greasepaint Ghost Staff Member

Dec 2, 2007
    Jersey
    Xavien Howard is a perfect fit for this defense. Big, physical, press corner with great ball skills. Vance Joseph probably loves him just as much as Chris Grier does.

He does need a little coaching up though. He tends to get beat deep a little too much. However, quarterbacks only had a 32.4 passer rating throwing at him. That's outstanding. He also had 9 interceptions the last two seasons. You can say this about a lot of guys at the draft, but Howard truly has a ton of potential, and Vance Joseph is the right coach to help him reach that potential.

I'm very happy with this pick.

14. Finster

Finster Finsterious Finologist

Jul 27, 2013
    Yes, I'm not crazy about him, and I don't like giving the 4th, but Grier planted a flag with this guy, they love him, so you have to respect that, but he has to fill the bill now, so we wait and see on him, Grier is a draft guru if it works out.

Tin Indian and Pandarilla like this.
  15. Clark Kent

Clark Kent Fighter of the Nightman

May 9, 2008
    When you include the hidden yardage of his many pass interference calls, what does that passer rating look like? Not trying to be a smart ***, I'm honestly wondering. There's a serious Brandon Browner concern with Howard.

I will say, in an effort to be positive of a pick that I don't really like, his scouting report reads like Sam Madison. The positives and the negatives are almost identical, it's uncanny. Would be nice if he developed along the same line.

Interesting note, if you go to NFL.com and look at his bio, there's a section that reads,

That scout likely works for Miami, given the circumstance. Hopefully the kid develops, but I'm very nervous. Too much "boom or bust" for a top 7 pick in the 2nd round, after a trade up for my liking...

Unlucky 13 likes this.
  16. Pandarilla

Sep 10, 2009
    Boone, NC

I would've thought you would enjoy them going boom or bust for a change.

I love the Madison comparisons.

I like the pick a lot. Yet another piece...

17. Mike8272

Mike8272 Active Member

Sep 1, 2012
    The talent is present with this kid to develop into a good corner. So I totally understand this pick because it fills a need and there's enough upside to warrant trading up for him. Problem is we traded up for him when he probably would have been available at our previous position, and if not him, someone like Alexander could have been available or even Fuller in the fourth. I guess we simply locked on a guy we like and traded up to ensure we get him. I like the player, but trading up seemed a bit unnecessary.

18. The_Dark_Knight

The_Dark_Knight Defender of the Truth

Nov 24, 2007
    Rockledge, FL
    Typical draft banter from the fans as usual.

If Howard turns out to be a superstar, then Grier and the Dolphins organization are brilliant. If he's a bust, everyone will be calling for their heads.

eltos_lightfoot likes this.
  19. MikeHoncho

MikeHoncho -=| Censored |=-

Nov 13, 2009
    Bingo.

xphinfanx likes this.
  20. FinNasty

FinNasty Alabama don’t want this... Staff Member Club Member

Dec 1, 2007
    This is one BIG dude! He's every bit of his listed size. Love it...

[video=youtube_share;630bK9OEDpo]https://youtu.be/630bK9OEDpo[/video]

Rocky Raccoon and Sceeto like this.
  21. mlb1399

mlb1399 Well-Known Member

Mar 6, 2010
    Maybe I'm alone here but I like the pick. After watching bigger WR's manhandle Grimes last season I love his size, toughness, competitiveness and fight for the ball. Every football player transitioning from amateur to professional needs to work on their game. He has the physical tools and mental makeup that I like to see in a football player. The rest can be coached.

number21, cullenbigcstill and resnor like this.
  22. Sceeto

Sceeto Well-Known Member

Oct 13, 2008
    New York
    Love the pick. Big player. Big need.

23. Finster

Finster Finsterious Finologist

Jul 27, 2013
    I think many people think he's bigger than what he is, he's 6' and 200lbs, all you can say is that he isn't small, VHIII actually outweighed him by 3lbs.