1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Windows 10 Upgrade Yes or No

Discussion in 'Science & Technology' started by CrunchTime, Mar 29, 2016.

Is it worth upgrading Windows 10

1. Yes

80.0%
  2. No

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  3. I want to know too

20.0%
  1. CrunchTime

CrunchTime Administrator Retired Administrator

Nov 23, 2007
    For months I have had a frequent nuisance popup on my Dell PC with Windows 7 OP urging me to upgrade to Windows 10 free of charge .Has anyone done the upgrade and if so have you had any problems with it.

It is after all a Microsoft product and my experience is that its better to be one upgrade behind because of all the bugs that are found soon after their latest software release.

I believe its designed for the touch capabilities of tablets .If I dont have a tablet is it even worth it .

2. Ohiophinphan

Ohiophinphan Chaplain Staff Member Luxury Box

I took the free upgrade on my old computer but shortly thereafter I needed to replace my machine. It came with 10.

I don't find it particularly "buggy". It has a lot of features for which I have no use. Frankly, I still use a machine like it was XP! If you do a lot of video stuff, social media, or that kind of stuff, it is wonderful otherwise, imo, meh!

3. Boik14

Boik14 Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Nov 28, 2007
    New York
    Haha ya old farts! :p

I don't have a windows device bit I always stay 1 upgrade behind til I know the major kinks have been worked out. So I'd delay it. I do the same thing with my phone. Just dealing with tech on a daily basis I see it and hear it all day from customers.

4. CrunchTime

Nov 23, 2007
    I went ahead and made the upgrade to Windows 10 .One of the reasons I decided to do that is because the Windows 7 may not be supported in the new future .

Apart from the six hours to do it on my PC the results were encouraging . It looks cleaner and a little faster .There are some options at the beginning of the process which are intended to send feedback to MS which I marked negative.

Then they give you an option to organize all of your photos ,files and videos .I took a look at it and it did look a lot cleaner and organized but ultimately I chose to leave everything as it was before the upgrade even to the desktop icons,files...and it did just that.Everything was in its place.

All of my programs work even the unofficial ones :wink2:

Word of advice .Do it at night when you dont need your PC .However it will stop to ask a question once in a while.

Hiruma78 and #1 fan like this.
  5. CrunchTime

Nov 23, 2007
    After trying it for a few days I decided to go back to Windows 7 . I did find a few programs that didnt work anymore and it also was slower to react than my Windows 7 .Perhaps because there were too many features I didnt need that loaded.

BTW you can change back to Windows 7 without a problem and you can even go back to Windows 10 if you had a mind too.:yes:

So my advice is to not make the change unless you have a touch device.

6. Unlucky 13

Unlucky 13 Team Raheem Club Member

Apr 24, 2012
    Troy, Virginia
    I'm very happy with Windows 7, and I'm also unable to get broadband where I live, so I'm hoping to make my 3.5 year old laptop live as long as I can. There's no real way to get the 10 upgrade icon to go away forever, as far as I can tell, but I'm never going to do it. I'm just crossing my fingers that my laptop lasts long enough that I've been able to move before I have to buy a new one. From what I know from selling PCs with Windows 8, and doing my research on 10, disabling all of the bandwidth eating features on 10, so that they didn't eat into my monthly allowance, would be a real bear.

7. #1 fan

#1 fan Well-Known Member

Dec 20, 2007
    miami
  8. #1 fan

#1 fan Well-Known Member

Dec 20, 2007
    miami
    Unlucky 13 likes this.
  9. Max C Burger

Max C Burger New Member

Dec 12, 2016
    Thanks for sharing this great info with us.

10. smahtaz

smahtaz Pimpin Ain't Easy

Windows 10 might be their best OS ever. If you can get it on a touch-screen it's badass.