1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Yellow cards coming to the NFL?

Discussion in 'Other NFL' started by Vertical Limit, Mar 19, 2016.

1. Vertical Limit

Vertical Limit Senior Member

Nov 25, 2007
  2. Paul 13

Paul 13 Chaotic Neutral & Unstable Genius Staff Member

Dec 3, 2007
    [​IMG]

3. Alex44

Alex44 Boshosaurus Rex

Jan 7, 2008
    Hollywood, Florida
    I feel like this encourages what its trying to prevent. You mean I get a free personal foul before I can be ejected?

4. Unlucky 13

Unlucky 13 Team Raheem Club Member

Apr 24, 2012
    Troy, Virginia
    Flagrant fouls will still lead to an immediate ejection, as they have for a long time. The change is the next level down will if a guy commits two of them. I think that more than anything, this is the league trying to force guys to calm down and not let those situations get out of hand.

5. texanphinatic

texanphinatic Senior Member

Nov 26, 2007
    Detroit Metro Area MI
    Doesn't soccer also carry yellows across games? So if a player gets a yellow in one game, then a yellow in the next he is ejected? I wouldn't really mind that system either to be honest, will force players to remain accountable.

6. MikeHoncho

MikeHoncho -=| Censored |=-

Nov 13, 2009
    Hey, they're wearing pink every October, so why not make it more like soccer.

7. Unlucky 13

Unlucky 13 Team Raheem Club Member

Apr 24, 2012
    Troy, Virginia
    I don't know much about soccer, but I don't believe that the NFL system will carry over from game to game, at least yet. That's a good idea though.

8. Galant

Galant Love - Unity - Sacrifice - Eternity

Apr 22, 2014
    It depends on the league/tournament.

These are always true - to my knowledge:
    1 - In a single game, 2x Yellow = 1 Red (you'll be ejected and suffer whatever consequences are mandated in that league/tournament, e.g. you could miss the next game).
    2 - 1x Yellow in one game will never get you ejected, even if you had a single yellow in the previous game, however, there could be repercussions for cumulative yellows depending, again, on the league or tournament.

So for example:

World Cup -
    2x Yellow in a game = ejected and miss the next game.
    1x red in a game = ejected and miss the next game (tape will be reviewed after the game by the disciplinary committee and the suspension can be extended if deemed necessary)
    2x yellow in successive games = miss the next game.

English Premier League -
    2x Yellow in a single game = as above, ejected and miss the next game.
    1x red in a game = ejected and miss the next 3 games
    2x yellow in successive games = Nothing
    Cumulative yellows over a season = 1 game suspension for every 5 yellow cards earned.

Fines may also be issued but I'm not sure on how much or how often.