1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Who are some of the players that you wanted the Fins to draft over the years?

Discussion in 'NFL Draft Forum' started by Unlucky 13, Mar 16, 2016.

1. Unlucky 13

Unlucky 13 Team Raheem Club Member

Apr 24, 2012
    Troy, Virginia
    With the biggest part of free agency done, and the draft still way in the future, I thought it would be fun to look at past years' drafts, and talk about who we wanted the Fins to draft, compared to who they actually did. Now, this doesn't mean for example that I loved Peyton Manning, and was bummed that Miami didn't draft him. We had no shot. Rather, I'm talking about a guy who was actually projected to go around the sport that Miami originally had their pick that year.

Here are a few of mine:

1995: I really wanted the Fins to draft CB Ty Law or LT Korey Stringer, both of whom were taken just before our pick. I also loved Derrick Brooks, who was drafted several spots later. Instead, the Fins took Billy Milner, who was a complete and total bust. In the second round, I was really high on RB Terrell Fletcher, who didn't end up amounting to much in the NFL, but was better than OG Andrew Greene who the Fins took.

1996: I was a big, big Eddie George fan, and there was a slight hope he may fall to where the Fins drafted or that we might trade up, especially with Jimmy now in control. I was also big on WR Eric Moulds, who went several spots after Miami picked. DT Daryl Gardener ended up being a pretty good choice. I was actually happy with the team drafting Abdul-Jabbar. I really liked him at UCLA. Same with FB Stanley Pritchett, who I'd watched tear apart my WVU Mountaineers in the bowl game a few months prior. But I was jumping up and down and giving myself high fives when we took Zach Thomas in the 5th. I was a huge, huge fan of his in college.

1997: I was happy with Yatil Green when we drafted him. We all know the rest. Was also cool with Madison in the second, though I had no idea how good he was. The big one was Jason Taylor, who like ZT the previous year, I had watched a lot of in college and loved. Targeted him as a guy I wanted the Fins to look at, and boom. Made my day. Almost as excited for LB Derrick Rodgers in the 4th, though he didn't end up being as good.
    1998: Lots of people lament the fact that the Vikings took Randy Moss in the spot originally held by Miami before we traded down. I'm not one of them, because I never wanted any part of him. The guy I wanted was OG Alan Faneca, who went #26 to Pittsburgh. In the second round, I had no idea who Pat Surtain was, and the guy I was focused on was Samari Rolle.

1999: Before the Fins traded down, I was really high on OT Aaron Gibson and LB Andy Katzenmoyer. In the second, I was really upset that the team passed on CB Dre Bly to take RB JJ Johnson, but I was a big fan of Rob Konrad at Syracuse, so I was happy with that pick. In the third, I had never heard of C Grey Ruegamer, and was hoping that the team would draft QB Brock Huard, who I thought would be an awesome heir to Marino (I was wrong, lol).

2000: Before we traded down, I was really hoping for RB Sean Alexander. After we did, I was pulling for WR Jerry Porter. Wasn't thrilled was OT Wade.

2001: Kind of like 1998. Lots of people gripe about passing on Drew Brees. I liked him, but thought he had a ceiling of a guy like Andy Dalton. I desperately wanted Reggie Wayne. Of course they took Jamar Fletcher.

2002: Not having a pick until the 3rd round kind of put a damper on things. I also wasn't able to watch that year's draft (despite asking for the day off months prior) because I had to work. Upset at the time, but no big loss in the end.

2003: Again, no first rounder due to the Ricky trade. However, I was thinking we had a great shot to get a good player in the second. When they announced, "The Miami Dolphins, with the 49th pick, from the University of Tennessee....." I was fist pumping! When it was Eddie Moore and not Jason Witten, that became punching my couch in disgust. In the 3rd round, I was really, really high on QB Dave Ragone from Louisville. I was as wrong about him as I had been Huard.

2004: Huge Ben Roethlisberger fan in college, but I knew there wasn't a big chance he'd fall to us. Still was hoping for a trade up to get him. Beyond that, I was focused on OL Shaun Andrews but was cool with taking Veron Carey when we did.

2005: We had the #2 pick, and what I wanted was either a franchise QB or else a great LT. Hated Alex Smith, and no elite LT that year, so what I wanted was a trade down and to pile up picks. I really liked a lot of the guys that should have been available around #10. I was ok with Ronnie Brown, but really sad that the team didn't do more with the opprotunity.

2006: Huge Jay Cutler fan, but like Ben two years prior, I knew we likely didn't have a shot. Also loved Ngata, but he went before our pick too. As it was, I was much happier with Jason Allen than I guess I should have been, lol. When Charlie Whitehurst was taken one spot before our pick, I was upset, but I was too high on him in retrospect too.

2007: Brady Quinn!!! Ok, I guess I was wrong about him. But I was right to be enraged over Ginn. And the team could have taken any number of other awesome players instead. Then my rage went up a notch in the second with Beck. I wanted Lamar Woodley.

2008: I did not want Matt Ryan, and though a trade down was my first choice, I was good with Jake Long. Really upset with the Merling pick, because I wanted WR Devin Thomas (oops), but I was actually psyched about Henne. I thought he was every bit as good as Flacco. I had no idea who Langford was, and was pissed because Jamal Charles was sitting there and we passed. With Brown coming off his ACL injury, I wanted to get a guy who could be a good second option. Didn't know he'd be as good as he is.

2009: I'd wanted either Vonte Davis or Hakeem Nicks, so I was happy when we took Davis. In the second, I was shocked when we took Pat White, even though I'm a WVU guy. I wanted one of the number of quality OL who were available there. Not quite to ZT or JT levels, but I was pumped when we took Hartline in the 4th, because I loved him in college.

2010: Like a lot of people, I wanted Earl Thomas. Unhappy with the trade down, and then was WTF when we took Odrick. I was hoping after the move down that we'd at least take DT Dan Williams, who I was high on. In the second, as it got close to our pick, I was looking at Nate Allen and TJ Ward....but both went right before us, so I thought that Sergio Kindle would be the pick, or maybe the TE from Arizona with the back injury. I had zero idea who Misi was. In the third, after we'd passed on Thomas, and missed out on the others, I thought we'd go Major Wright. But we got John Jerry.

2011: Pouncey was really the guy all along in the first. In the second, I loved WR Torrey Smith, and barely knew who Daniel Thomas was.

And I think I'll stop there, with all of the emotion that still flows around 2012, lol.

2. Finster

Finster Finsterious Finologist

Jul 27, 2013
    2012 I wanted Kuechly or Poe.

2013 I wanted to trade out of the first round and pick up as many picks as possible.

2014 I wanted to trade down and get James or another Olineman.

2015 was all about Marpet in the 2nd for me.