1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

The official "What was your worst job" thread

Discussion in 'Lounge' started by SICK, Mar 14, 2016.

1. SICK

SICK Lounge Moderator

Nov 29, 2007
    Charlotte NC
    Tell us about it...

Me? Worked with McLovin for 3 weeks

/End Thread

2. byroan

byroan Giggity Staff Member Administrator Luxury Box

Nov 25, 2007
    NC
    You'd think it would be when I cleaned toilets at Carowinds...

Nope, it was when I was a banker for Wachovia/Wells Fargo. The management sucks and the sales goals are stupid.

Boik14 and SICK like this.
  3. Vertical Limit

Vertical Limit Senior Member

Nov 25, 2007
    Project manager for a company that manufactured impact glass windows and doors.. Everyday i knew i was walking in to get in screaming fights with other management and to deal with lawsuits against the company.. I was only 20 when i started there so for that to be my first real job (worked in retail/restaurants before that), didnt give me a positive outlook on my degree (structural engineering) and changed things up for me.

4. MikeHoncho

MikeHoncho -=| Censored |=-

Nov 13, 2009
    For some reason this popped into my head

[​IMG]

Fin-O, Boik14, SICK and 1 other person like this.
  5. McLovin

McLovin Resident Pats fan.

May 7, 2008
    North Cacalaka
    you do give the worst "jobs"

Boik14 and SICK like this.
  6. Fin D

Fin D Sigh

Nov 27, 2007
    Maybe you walked by a mirror?

Boik14, SICK and McLovin like this.
  7. Ohio Fanatic

Ohio Fanatic Twuaddle or bust Club Member

Nov 26, 2007
    Concord, MA
    Worked as a dishwasher in a southern buffet restaurant (Quincy's steakhouse). Place was always packed and hundreds of dishes per hour coming in. Keep in mind that southerners like to fill their plate and cover everything with melted velveeta cheese. The dishwashing room had a broken air conditioner so it was literally working your *** off in a sauna. Saw two people pass out my first summer. Such a crappy job that after 6 months, I was the senior dishwasher because everyone would quit.

Jaydog57, SICK and Unlucky 13 like this.
  8. Stitches

Stitches ThePhin's Biggest Killjoy Luxury Box

Nov 23, 2007
    Katy, TX
    Similar experience working as a temp when I was 18 for a Calphelon distribution center. I was working 12 hr days in 100 degree weather, and those trucks were like 120 degrees. The boxes weren't dirty IMO, but that didn't really change anything. I was losing 10 lbs each day in water weight, so I would just be drained by the end of the day. Once my month was up I was done even though they asked me to come back.

SICK likes this.
  9. Stitches

Stitches ThePhin's Biggest Killjoy Luxury Box

Nov 23, 2007
    Katy, TX
    I wish I didn't know what it was like to be a steakhouse buffet dishwasher. My experience was in Ohio, but I'm not sure that helped at all, plus I was only 15-16 and it was my first non-paper route job. Man, did I ****ing hate the waitresses. They didn't properly stack dishes, clean off plates before stacking them like they were supposed to, and they didn't properly sort silverware (nothing like reaching into the spoons and getting a fistful of steak knife blades).

On the turnover note, I took a summer job in college as a prep cook at a different buffet, and by my 3rd day I was working by myself, then by my 5th day I was training a new person.

SICK and Unlucky 13 like this.
  10. Fin D

Fin D Sigh

Nov 27, 2007
    I had a summer job at Crane Cams in Daytona Beach when I was 18. Factory job. Lived an 1.25 hours away and had to be there by 7:30.

I was on the first step of the cam shaft making process. Had to roll down this 50 ft long steel bar on to a conveyor outside. It was hot as it was summer in Daytona. The conveyor took the bar inside to a band saw that cut the bar into specific lengths. So you get covered in metal dust and blade oil (blow your nose and its pitch black). You then take the bar while the next one is cutting and spin around to the drill behind you that makes cone shaped indentations into each end of the bar, then you stack it on a cart. Then repeat as this is constant. Every tenth bar, you have to pause the process and go around the drill machine and to the testing station. You lock in the bar and spin it while gauges tell you if the indents are centered. That sucks.

So in my 5 minutes of training, no one told me about the blocks you put under the bar when you spin it and during my 5th day when I spun the bar it dropped from the clamps and landed on my thumb. These bars are little over 50 lbs. It was basically flattened and shattered. Had to go to the hospital. Had a cast and was put on light duty.

So yay light duty!!! Yeah, no.

For the first two weeks I was in a room with a table and on that table was a 4ft high pile of nuts for bolts. I was sat down with a metal file and told to go through the nuts and file off any burs that I saw and chuck the nuts, after inspection, into the 55 gallon drum behind me.

When I was done with that and until I was done with my job for the summer (about 1.5 months) , I had to count bolts. 15 bolts to a bag. 50 bags to a box.

SICK and Unlucky 13 like this.
  11. Ohio Fanatic

Ohio Fanatic Twuaddle or bust Club Member

Nov 26, 2007
    Concord, MA
    yeah, used to hate the waitresses. They would throw the soup bowls into this big disgusting bin of crappy water and it would splash us. finally we had enough and we'd start spraying them with super hot water. of course the dip**** managers would always side with the waitresses. eventually they figured out that I was smarter and a harder worker that anyone in the restaurant and told me that if I came back after college I could be a manager. I told them I'm going to college so I would never end up like them (they got free lunches, so they all weighed about 250-300 lbs).

Boik14, Unlucky 13 and Stitches like this.
  12. mnfinfan

mnfinfan Active Premium Member Luxury Box

Nov 22, 2007
    Grand Cayman and Minnesota
    I don't know if I have ever had a bad job, pretty lucky really. Probably the worst one was bell hop at hotel in Grand Cayman as the uniforms were hotter than hell. But it wasn't that bad as there were always tourist girls on holiday and the hotel allowed us to drink on site.

Sent from my SM-G930T using Tapatalk

13. SICK

SICK Lounge Moderator

Nov 29, 2007
    Charlotte NC
    holy **** that sounds like torture. All of it.

Fin D likes this.
  14. Pagan

Pagan Metal & a Mustang

Mar 22, 2008
    Newburgh, NY
    When I was 16. The elephant house at the Bronx Zoo. Self-explanatory.

Boik14 and Ohio Fanatic like this.
  15. FinSane

FinSane Cynical Dolphins Fan

Dec 1, 2007
    Melbourne, Fl
    I hear ya on that one. I'm a teller at one right now and the goals for us are ridiculous. Tellers shouldn't be selling bank stuff anyway.

Sent from my SM-G900T using Tapatalk

byroan likes this.
  16. Boik14

Boik14 Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Nov 28, 2007
    New York
    First job out of college, I worked for an Advertising firm as a media planner. Pay sucked. No real on the job training, just jump in and get stuff done. No problem, managed to work my way through that.

Had to be there by 830 AM everyday....no problem, I was on time despite every one else being consistently late despite my hour long commute and not being a morning person.

They gave an address for a meeting...go to the address...oh no one told you the meeting got moved downtown? Mind you downtown in NYC was about a half hour cab ride or about 15 minutes via subway at which point the meeting would have been about half over.

Had 4 bosses who never communicated with each other so one person would want you on a conference call and another would want you working with them on a project in a different location. I requested they clone me because that was physically impossible or they could start communicating with each other.

Routinely asked for work during down time, of which there was plenty, and would have a pile dropped on my desk at 4Pm leaving me stuck there til 8 or 9PM often times. And then during these countless hours of downtime...sometimes 2-4 hours at a time, they would then complain about me browsing the old board or espn or reading a newspaper. When I told them I asked for more work and youre not giving me any and whether they just wanted me to stare blankly at my cubicle, they basically replied yes, thats what we want. I laughed.

Needless to say, I didnt stay there long; 6 or 8 months. Left there, blasted the hell out of my bosses via a 5 page printed letter to HR and dropped at the foot of the company presidents door citing specific examples of how miserable a company they were to work for. And the best part....The person who got the job after me was a friend of one of my friends and someone I kind of knew in passing....He said the same exact thing and left exactly the same way.

Best job I had: Umpiring intramural softball in college. Often times this involved me bringing a flask to the games and calling balls and strikes on sororities who often wanted a sip of what I was drinking...usually either SoCo or Jack. And I got paid like $12 an hour basically to drink while getting girls numbers. Occasionally Id have to ump a frat game...didnt even bother with the flask those games; just brought the whole bottle of Jack. :lol:

CrunchTime likes this.
  17. McLovin

McLovin Resident Pats fan.

May 7, 2008
    North Cacalaka
    Fixed

We can only hope it was.

18. Fin D

Fin D Sigh

Nov 27, 2007
    So, in your mind, do I get blamed for bringing vegan up in this thread?

19. cuchulainn

cuchulainn Táin Bó Cúailnge Club Member

Sep 7, 2012
    Hattiesburg, MS
    Yes. :shifty:

Fin D likes this.
  20. Alex13

Alex13 Tua Time !!! Club Member

Dec 21, 2007
    Berlin,Germany
    unloading and loading trucks for UPS from 2 - 6 a.m. hated it for a whole summer when i was 18-19

21. The_Dark_Knight

The_Dark_Knight Defender of the Truth

Nov 24, 2007
    Rockledge, FL
    16 years old, shucking oysters at Strictland's Seafood at the Ferry in Mayport, Florida. Constantly cut up hands and they always reeked. Thought I hit the jackpot when I was finally hired at McDonald's!!!!

22. Zeke0123

Zeke0123 message board ******* Club Member

Nov 22, 2007
    Brinks.. low pay and downtown Los Angeles routes.

23. Jaydog57

Jaydog57 Canes/Fins/Magic fan

Jun 25, 2008
    Daytona Beach, FL
    The job I have now at Bob Evans restaurant as a dishwasher is pretty high on the list. Very similar description to Ohio Fanatic's dishwashing job at Quincy's. Especially bad, since I don't have a car (yet), and have to ride a bike in 85-90 degree heat, wearing the required black pants and shirt to and from work. Stay in school, kids.

24. FinSane

Dec 1, 2007
    Melbourne, Fl
    I work at a bank and we have those guys coming in to deliver and take money. I've always thought those guys don't get paid enough to do what they do and the risk involved.

25. FinSane

Dec 1, 2007
    Melbourne, Fl
    The worst job I've had was probably working for a nationally known electrical supply company. It wouldn't have been so bad if I was at a different store, but at this particular location it was pretty bad. The store manager was a lazy old guy who sat on his *** in an office looking at craigslist all day (for who knows what). The assistant manager was a fat nasty chick who was roughly my age (mid 20s at the time) who was friends with my buddy at the time (I got the job thanks to him hooking me up aftet I got laid off from a good paying sales job). Problem was she was pissed at him for never taking him up on hooking up with her and she took it out on me for some reason by acting like a total ***** towards me from day one. Granted I didn't know much about electrical work and the lingo electricians use when they want certain items, but I was willing to learn. Her dad was an electrician so she grew up as one of those tomboy types that learned from her dad. But she wasnt willing to train me on anything or work with me to tell me whats what. So I struggled trying to figure things out on my own while she *****ed out orders and tasks at me. The hardest part was loading and unloading heavy *** pipe and thick electrical wire by myself into a dingy van that wouldnt drive very well on I95 and stressed me out everytime I had to make a delivery, sometimes to locations in bad neighborhoods. Another crappy thing was she wanted me to hang out in the warehouse part of the shop all day maintaining it while her, her boss and the shop clerk all hung out inside all day in the a/c. So I had to deal with extreme heat or deal with the cold(Florida doesnt get cold like up north yes, but when it does you can never get used to it especially on windy days with no sun). And she would tell me to straighten the place up when weren't busy which never took more than 30 mins to an hour and you cant even stretch the maintenence stuff out during the day pretending to be busy if you wanted to because everything was done already. I'd ask for other tasks when weren't busy but it was a hassle trying to do that when you got a *****y boss. The store manager sometimes felt bad and would let me be inside and do paperwork on really hot days, but overall he was just coasting at his iob waiting for retirement so he wasn't much help. Going on deliveries was the best part despite the crappy van and heavy loading because I was away from the shop and Id smoke a few bowls while out on the road, even some of the job sites I went to the electricans sometimes would offer to smoke with me (they would just assume and offer, I was never obvious about it as I used spray and eyedrops and knew how to act).

The customer electricans would eventually tell me that the store location couldnt keep people cuz of how the two managers are, so I realized it wasnt just me. I also noticed that I would have to stay later some days which was fine but when I got my paycheck they wouldnt pay me for the extra time, since they had no official way of punching in and out you had to sign in and out on a piece of paper that the managers could easily alter. The company overall is one of those typical companies that take advantage of loose labor laws and such, I've heard a few things about how they treat employees that it wouldnt have been worth staying there even at another location. I would say the whole experience made me realize that there are always worse jobs out there, and I wind up not showing up one day after I got my old job back at Publix working part time for less money, which normally Id never do, but it wasn't worth the crappy treatment and hard labor. Yeah, it was that bad of an experience that I took a pretty big paycut just to get the **** out of there.