1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Sports Buzz: Mike Mayock on the Dolphins #8 pick

Discussion in 'NFL Draft Forum' started by jim1, Feb 24, 2016.

1. jim1

jim1 New Member

Jul 1, 2008
    With the NFL Combine starting, I asked NFL Network's Mike Mayock on a conference call today about what would make sense with Miami's pick at No. 8. He seemed most enthusiastic about Florida cornerback Vernon Hargreaves.

If Hargreaves "went 8th to Miami, it would be a heck of a pick," Mayock said. "He's that good. The most natural corner in the draft is Hargreaves. Great feet, change of direction, can play press, can play off. There's going to be a lot of conversation about whether [FSU's] Jalen Ramsey is a corner or safety.

"[As far as] linebackers, in the 4-3 type group, Myles Jack should be healthy. He and Jaylon Smith [whose 2016 status is in question after knee surgery] are by far the two best linebackers in that situation. A guy I think has gained a lot of steam in the last month is Darron Lee from Ohio State. He's kind of a weak outside linebacker. He probably will run in the 4.4s and everyone is going to get all excited about Darron Lee. He's more of a 20 to 32 [first-round range] guy for me. But he's going to go in the first round and he fits what Miami does.

"As far as edge guys are concerned, defensive end [Joey] Bosa is probably gone. Then you get into [Eastern Kentucky's] Noah Spence. I think he fits a 3-4 team a little bit better [than Miami's 4-3]. But in today's day and age, an edge rusher is an edge rusher."

http://miamiherald.typepad.com/spor...itching-staff-mayock-on-fins-draft-heat-.html

Fin4Ever, Fin-O and Zanno like this.
  2. Brasfin

Brasfin Well-Known Member

Apr 27, 2013
    Brazil
    I don't think we can really go wrong in this draft, a couple of impact defensive players are sure to be available when we pick. I'd be happy with nearly all of the guys mentioned above, honestly.

3. FinSane

FinSane Cynical Dolphins Fan

Dec 1, 2007
    Melbourne, Fl
    That's how I feel this year too. We have so many needs on D now almost any of the first round projected players would be considered filling a needed spot.

Sent from my SM-G900T using Tapatalk

4. gunn34

gunn34 I miss Don & Dan

Jan 5, 2008
    Oviedo FL
    We can't go wrong, but I bet some people here will b**** about whoever we select or pass on.

5. invid

invid Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Dec 9, 2012
    I sincerely hope so, we could use a little luck.

6. Pandarilla

Pandarilla Purist Emeritus

Sep 10, 2009
    Boone, NC
    You guys are nuts. This draft is underwhelming in top prospects. Hargreaves is really short and can't cover tall receivers, lacks top end speed. Jack will be gone. Joey Bosa has no burst, just elite hand technician. Noah Spence is a gamble at #8.

I'm dropping for an extra second in this draft. I'd tag and trade OV for an extra second as well. We need value and lots of it. Luckily, our positional needs are not valued at a premium. G, S and MLB are rarely early picks. A big contract at #8 seems incredibly risky to me. Late first and second round are where we can improve our team the most.

This draft is looking deep at G/T which is awesome for us. I just think this draft fits perfectly for us to drop down if Jack or Ramsey is unavailable.

Fin4Ever, jorser and djphinfan like this.
  7. dolphin25

dolphin25 Well-Known Member

Nov 22, 2014
    some are saying Jack won't be healthy at all this coming year. I would not draft him.

8. invid

Dec 9, 2012
  9. dgfred

dgfred Free Agent pickup

Dec 17, 2015
    N.C., USA
    I think it was J.Smith they said maybe had some nerve damage in his knee and would maybe need to red-shirt this year.

10. finsbuck719

finsbuck719 New Member

Jan 25, 2009
    I agree with everything except Bosa not having a burst. If Jack is gone at 8, I'm all for trading down and that even means trading down to the 20s and possibly taking Jaylon Smith, who may not even play in 2016. Fact is, he looks all the parts to be a stud, and trading down from 8 to the mid twenties could give us an extra 2nd, extra 3rd, and future 1st. the extra 2nd and extra 3rd make up for us not having Smith play in 2016...those SHOULD be two starters or at least quality contributers in their rookie seasons.

The more picks, the better. And I'm not against franchise and trading OV either, although I'd like to keep him since this is a weak edge rushing class. Those two trades could give us a late first, future first, 3 seconds, and 2 third round picks. some seriously talent

Pandarilla likes this.
  11. invid

Dec 9, 2012
    Jaylon Smith, for all intents and purposes, is now a day 3 pick. They're worried about the nerve in his knee NEVER waking up, even after surgery. Or at least, that's what I gathered from a couple articles I've read.

12. Fin4Ever

Fin4Ever Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Aug 26, 2014
    Vero Beach, FL
    That nerve damage is dangerous and unfortunately for Jaylon he may never play football again. Too risky of a pick for us to gamble on in most any round imho.

13. finsbuck719

finsbuck719 New Member

Jan 25, 2009
    idk about all that now