1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Greg Jennings: No one knows if Tanny can be great: treated like a child

Discussion in 'Miami Dolphins Forum' started by Agua, Feb 5, 2016.

1. Agua

Agua Reality: Try It!

Apr 28, 2008
  2. SuhMe

SuhMe Banned

Mar 13, 2015
    Bill Lazor is a d*** and can't coach for s***, ask Nick Foles.

Shane Falco likes this.
  3. Rocky Raccoon

Rocky Raccoon Greasepaint Ghost Staff Member

Dec 2, 2007
    Jersey
    Very fair assessment. Tannehill is still an unknown, but he's certainly showed consistent flashes of being very good. I don't mean Chad Henne flashes, I mean legit flashes for stretches of games.

Plus, Adam Gase loves him, and Adam Gase knows quarterbacks. I'm very optimistic Tannehill will get the coaching he needs to be a consistently good QB.

4. cbrad

cbrad .

Dec 21, 2014
    That video with Greg Likens and James Walker is pretty good in the sense that it kind of sums up most of the discussions and issues about Tannehill we've had on this board. Walker takes the more pessimistic view in that we've already seen who Tannehill basically is (basically an Alex Smith) and that some fans have made enough excuses for him, while Likens says he needed more development time and has been playing with a crappy OL.

Maybe they read these message boards :shifty:

dolphin25, resnor and Finster like this.
  5. Shane Falco

Shane Falco Banned

Nov 22, 2015
    At least he isn't Johnny Manziel, and I know several here wanted him over Tanny.

6. Fin-O

Fin-O Initiated Club Member

Sep 28, 2015

Slow down.....

Your SPEEDing.

MAFishFan and GARDENHEAD like this.
  7. 2socks

2socks Rebuilding Since 1973

Nov 27, 2008
    Atlanta
    OMG - remember the San Diego game. I was bouncing off the walls.

I hope and pray that is the case. Because if he can lead this team to play like that we will be unstoppable

8. cbrad

cbrad .

Dec 21, 2014
    That's not a "fact" by any means. One could say it's a "fact" he's our QB for 2016 if for no other reason than how his contract is structured, but beyond that is uncertain.

jazz, bigbucks24, dolphin25 and 5 others like this.
  9. jdang307

jdang307 Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Nov 29, 2007
    San Diego
    He's our QB for the next two years for sure. Whether there is more competition in 2017 remains to be seen. I'm starting to feel optimistic about 2016 though.

dgfred likes this.
  10. Fin-O

Sep 28, 2015
    Ryan is on a one year contract essentially, he will need to play at a higher level in 2016 to be on the roster in 2017. If he plays like he has thus far? He will be either released or asked to take a huge pay cut. At that point I believe Ryan would be welcoming a change of scenery in order to maybe salvage his career.

Finster likes this.
  11. MikeHoncho

MikeHoncho -=| Censored |=-

Nov 13, 2009
    Can he name all the teams in the division?

12. 2socks

Nov 27, 2008
    Atlanta
    He would be snapped up in a second and a star elsewhere

13. slickj101

slickj101 Is Water

Dec 21, 2007
    NY
    I remember when Manziel would of helped us so much that it'd even bring in more highly sought FAs who'd much rather play w him over Tanny lol

number21 likes this.
  14. Itsdahumidity

Itsdahumidity X gonna take it from ya

Dec 10, 2007

____________________________________________________________________________
    [​IMG]

15. MikeHoncho

MikeHoncho -=| Censored |=-

Nov 13, 2009
    Behind the Dallas O-line throwing to Dez Bryant he'd be a perennial pro bowler IMO.

16. CaribPhin

CaribPhin Guest

I thought this was a Lamar Miller thread for a second.

keypusher likes this.
  17. Da 'Fins

Da 'Fins Season Ticket Holder Staff Member Club Member

Dec 19, 2007
    Birmingham, AL
    Not trying to be argumentative - I think RT has shown flashes as you say (but also significant weaknesses that have been chronicled - struggles to sense pass rush at times, and comfort in the pocket even when there are no floodgates; and he locks in on the WR still).

And, while Gase has expressed his fondness for RT - I think that's something that virtually every HC is going to say. It's not a great deal different from Bill Belichick lauding an opponent the week before a game. For Gase, he has to express confidence as that's what RT really needs.

I remain hopeful that with Gase teaching him that he'll improve significantly. But, as Jennings notes, we just don't know yet.

Nevertheless, Aaron Rodgers did not even play until his 4th season and RT has only had 4 seasons (with two different OCs). And, he's had terrible OL play - which is why it is frustrating that the only emphasis seems to be on defense. We need a better D but without radically better OL play we also might not know how good RT is even with Gase doing a good job - and esp. two new OGs; otherwise, we will continue to struggle again on offense.

18. Dorfdad

Dorfdad Well-Known Member

Dec 9, 2007
    Ryan's not going to be Tom Brady, or Payton manning. He's going to be an above average qb who's success is based on the talent and protection he gets. With a great online he will improve how much more I dunno but with a crap online he's toasing up 4000 yard seasons. That's not crappy quarterbacking. He has issue sure. He's better than anyone we had since Marino. I'd say he will be in the top 10 qb's throughout his career with a better online that gives him more than 3 seconds to find a receiver

Once that's fixed we have good talent on offensive though we need a TE. Defensively were a mess getting old at key positions, linebackers and safety issues and the line just wasn't getting any pressure last year. You can't address all those issues in a year! We're looking at 2-3 years unless we do magically in free agency getting impact players not high priced names.

2socks likes this.
  19. dolphin25

dolphin25 Well-Known Member

Nov 22, 2014
    4000 yards? Who cares, how about points?

20. dWreck

dWreck formerly dcaf

Oct 23, 2011
    Sebring, FL
    You're an idiot if 4k yards means nothing to you. Let alone behind that line.

21. Finster

Finster Finsterious Finologist

Jul 27, 2013
    4000 yds isn't the benchmark it used to be, 12 hit the mark this year, 15 QBs reached at least 3900, and injury prevented a couple from reaching 4000, and the Fins ran the ball the fewest times of any teams, yes, we were 32nd in run plays, so 4000 yds doesn't mean that much anymore, especially when you don't run the ball.

Here's something for everyone to expect this year though, Tanne won't reach 4000 this year, because Gase LOVES to run the ball, the Bears ran the ball the 6th most times in the NFL, they ran the ball 124 more times than we did, lol, that is a huge difference.

If Tanne is more effective, than I don't care if he passes for 4000 yds, only Matt Ryan and Winston passed for fewer TDs than Tanne among 4000 yd passers, it's just sheer volume that gets him to 4000.

22. resnor

resnor Derp Sherpa

Nov 25, 2007
    New Hampshire
    How come no one complains about other "better" QBs "volume stats?"

23. DolphinGreg

DolphinGreg Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Dec 7, 2014
    Smart people do. All volume stats should be questioned. On that note, all stats should be questioned. Stats are pointless without context. That's a rule.

dolphin25, Finster and Fin-O like this.
  24. DolphinGreg

DolphinGreg Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Dec 7, 2014
    I'm sick of hearing this kind of stuff from the team. I have no clue what to make of it. Is it a condemnation of Tannehill's inability to man-up and play NFL QB or is it a condemnation of the coaches that were working with him and their lack of trust?

I don't claim that anyone is an idiot. Somewhere along the line there has to be a reasonable explanation for why things were set up the way they were.

Are other coaches doing this? Is this a hall-mark of a bad player being "helped into position?"

I just don't know what to think.

dolphin25 likes this.
  25. Fin-O

Sep 28, 2015

!00%.

26. Silverphin

Silverphin Well-Known Member

Nov 25, 2007
    Well, Jennings did specifically said that the work ethic and desire is there with Tannehill. So, his overall point says a lot more negative things about the coaching staff, IMO.

27. cbrad

cbrad .

Dec 21, 2014
    Probably both. Coaches aren't so stupid they don't see the value in a QB that can call/change plays, so Tannehill probably isn't giving them enough reason to trust his ability. On the other hand, you coddle someone enough and they never get the chance to prove themselves, or learn from real-game situations. Practice isn't the same thing as an actual game.

28. cbrad

cbrad .

Dec 21, 2014
    Let's also remember that Jennings is still an active player for the Dolphins. He's not necessarily going to speak his mind on any issue that involves competence among the coaches (that includes coaches that were fired btw..). If he says the same thing after retiring, then I'd put more credence in what he said being the full story.

29. Silverphin

Silverphin Well-Known Member

Nov 25, 2007
    If that's the case, why would he even say anything about the coaches at all?

30. 2socks

Nov 27, 2008
    Atlanta
    Gace will not be teaching him like you think. Clyde Christensen will be.

This to me is a deviation from what we thought and why/what the Miami Dolphins portrayed the Hiring of Gace to be for. Same deal with Philbin, career offensive line coach and OUR OFFENSIVE LINE SUCKS

It is the same reason a offensive coordinator was hired. Gace can not be the head coach and offensive Co-odinator and take this team where is says he is going to. The OC will prepare the game plan and all the other attributes that go along with preparing to play each week. Let's just hope that he is good of an OC as Gace's legendary status indicates he is a QB guru

31. cbrad

cbrad .

Dec 21, 2014
    Nothing wrong with saying (some portion of) what you think if you don't think that will hurt your relationship with coaches. So yeah I think he meant what he said, but I wouldn't bank on that being the "full story".

32. 2socks

Nov 27, 2008
    Atlanta
    Simply twisted facts. Tannehill threw more because we ran a west coast offensive scheme which replaces runs with passes. Look it up it. The West Coast offense is predicated and successful because of backs like Landry. You get him out in space to maximize his abilities to make people miss. It is the same reason Tannehill's YPA was down this year.

This type of scheme is also used when your offensive line SUCKS. The problem with the west coast is defenses are catching up to it and figuring out ways to minimize it. The coaches we had used it because they tried to do the best they could with what they had to work with.

Bottom line is the Front office dropped the ball last year and distracted 95% of the fan base by signing our savior SUH. They should have thrown that money at the offensive line.

33. jdang307

jdang307 Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Nov 29, 2007
    San Diego
    That's what I keep saying about Gase. Sure, he's been pretty good with QBs recently so we hope that will continue. But ... he's now head coach, who is retaining playcalling. How much time is he going to have with Tanny? Our hope is the OC and QB, with direction from Gase, will be effective with Tanny.

dolphin25 likes this.
  34. 2socks

Nov 27, 2008
    Atlanta
    See post # 33 there is your explanation

35. 2socks

Nov 27, 2008
    Atlanta
    Has anyone else thought that maybe Tannehill hasn't been given the reigns to play calling because they don't want him to change to plays that are not in the scheme of things or involve our offensive line to do things they simply can not do - due to a lack of talent??

36. 2socks

Nov 27, 2008
    Atlanta
    The reality JD is not much. The cool-aid hasn't worn off yet. It will

37. Finster

Finster Finsterious Finologist

Jul 27, 2013
    I'm well aware of what the Ohio valley offense is, we've been running it the entire time Tanne has been here, but it's pretty well been over covered how much we have abandoned the run game, you're trying to minimize the effect by saying it's just the offense we run, but we were dead last in rush attempts in the entire NFL.

Whatever the reason though, it's inconsequential, it's simply volume of passing plays vs run plays, and we're not getting the payday, only 24 TDs, so what good is 4000 yds when you only get 24 TDs via the passing game.

The OVO has been around for over 30 years and continues to evolve, I don't think anyone is catching up to it because some of the best Os in the league are still using it, and over half the league is currently using some variation of it.

The O we'll be using now is nearly as old, the E-P offense, which also relies on short passing, just a less complicated pass system and a lot more running.

dolphin25 likes this.
  38. shamegame13

shamegame13 Madison & Surtain

Dec 15, 2014
    Jennings and any other NFL player will tell you exactly whaat you want to hear because they want to keep their job, if a beaten down veteran like Jennings said "I dont think Tannehill is very good", there is a strong chance that he would get cut. Just saying.

39. Fin D

Fin D Sigh

Nov 27, 2007
    If Thill cured cancer, you'd blast him for not curing heart disease too.

Shane Falco likes this.
  40. shamegame13

shamegame13 Madison & Surtain

Dec 15, 2014
    But he hasnt, you say this like Tannehill has done something of significance in the NFL... so tell me hot shot, what accolades has Tannehill received? What passing titles has he won? How many winning records? Playoff appearance's? Meaningless Pro Bowl? He cant even accomplish that so according to my calculations, everything there is a resounding ZERO and/or NO.

P.S. i was just talking about player speak but you took it to this level.)

dolphin25 likes this.