1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Dion Jordan & Other Players Team Must Cut To Succeed In 2016 [VIDEO]

Discussion in 'Miami Dolphins Forum' started by Sceeto, Jan 20, 2016.

1. Sceeto

Sceeto Well-Known Member

Oct 13, 2008
    New York
  2. the 23rd

the 23rd a.k.a. Rio

Apr 20, 2009
    Tampa Area
    I think they should consider keeping Dion Jordon. truth is, he hasn't had time to be part of the problem but could be part of the solution, if kept on a short leash & has learned from his mistakes.

smahtaz, LUDUPORCU, dolphin25 and 2 others like this.
  3. bakedmatt

bakedmatt Well-Known Member

Mar 29, 2008
    Orlando, FL
    I'd move on from Dion, but I believe his contract is fully guaranteed. He's talented and he will get another chance even though he totally screwed us last year.

4. Pauly

Pauly Season Ticket Holder

Nov 29, 2007
    I think his contract is only guarantee for injury. Even so, he's more valuable to us dead money and an open roster spot available to someone who wants to play football than being on the roster.

5. bakedmatt

Mar 29, 2008
    Orlando, FL
    You're right. We would save just over half of his 2016 cap hit.

6. Fin D

Fin D Sigh

Nov 27, 2007
    I dunno, I think you give him some benchmarks to hit before FA starts. If hits them, bring him back in and see where he's at.

7. dullfandan

dullfandan Active Member

Sep 15, 2013
    Charlotte N.C.
    I would keep Jordan for now, let him play and see if his trade value rises, Jerry Jones likes misfits maybe he bits and we can recoup a 5th round or something

8. resnor

resnor Derp Sherpa

Nov 25, 2007
    New Hampshire
    I have to wonder how being misused by the coaching staff affected him mentally. Not getting playing time, being made to gain a bunch of weight, losing your athleticism because of it, that had to have had an effect. I also wonder if he was experiencing the same support from Philbin that Tannehill was.

9. gunn34

gunn34 I miss Don & Dan

Jan 5, 2008
    Oviedo FL
    I think both of these are correct. Philbin was a mess and made a mess out of some good draft pieces. Maybe a new coaching staff can work with him and let's see what he has. Maybe he wants to play football. He could be the kryptonite to Gronk. He has the leangth and had the speed to keep him in wraps. Hopefully he still does and he added the desire also.

dgfred and cbrad like this.
  10. cbrad

cbrad .

Dec 21, 2014
    Spot on, but I never got the feeling he has that burning desire to make it in the NFL, and that's really something a person has or doesn't have irrespective of the coaching staff. So yeah give him another shot, but I'd be totally surprised if he becomes a successful reclamation project. Talent means nothing if the desire doesn't come with it.

dolphin25 and dgfred like this.
  11. Finster

Finster Finsterious Finologist

Jul 27, 2013
    DJ was a horrible pick, considering we moved up to get him, he wasn't even that productive in college, he was a pure potential pick based on physical abilities, but people just overlooked his lack of strength, which is significant, anybody watching his college tape could see him getting dominated by TEs way too many times.

He's a bust, I called it when we picked him, he isn't strong enough for the NFL, hence all the suspensions.

dolphin25 likes this.
  12. Colmax

Colmax Well-Known Member

Dec 12, 2007
    Dion was given his pay for '15, right? That MUST mean something? I'm not too familiar with the skinny of his contract and how that plays a role. I say, if he's still getting paid by Miami in '16, get the guy in camp and go from there. I just would hate for the talent to go elsewhere without at least kicking the tires. And yes, he's talented. That doesn't mean he's the next (insert name here). But if OV goes, and maybe if Wake is not kept, can the guy be put in there as a speed pass rusher? One trick pony or not, Miami is going to have to get to the QB because the DB unit just doesn't impress me outside of Jones.

13. Sceeto

Sceeto Well-Known Member

Oct 13, 2008
    New York
    He needs to stop making benchmarks with his buttcheeks.

I don't know, I just can't hold up hope for this guy. It would be nice, but...he's a bust.

P h i N s A N i T y and Finster like this.
  14. Finster

Jul 27, 2013
    Last year, if we had cut him it would have been a slight loss in cap money, iow, his dead cap money was 700 thou higher than his cap hit, but this year is a different story, his dead cap will be 3 mil, but we actually save 3 mil if we cut him, the guy hasn't showed nearly enough, in the situational passrushing role, which was how he was used mostly, to justify the 6 mil he's due to make this year imo, he has just as many suspensions as he does sacks, lol, never a good sign.

Colmax likes this.
  15. Fin D

Fin D Sigh

Nov 27, 2007
    I'm not holding out hope. I just think because of the investment, you see where his head is at before you cut him out right. Maybe he hit rock bottom and he;s ready to turn it around, if not then cut him which you were gonna do anyway. Can't hurt is my point.

Sceeto likes this.
  16. btfu149

btfu149 Well-Known Member

Aug 5, 2011
    Indianapolis, IN
    Has anyone seen him lately? Is he in shape or is he looking out of shape like he was in that pic on the beach before the 15 season started?

17. Marino1384

Marino1384 Member

Dec 8, 2007
    I believe they didnt cut him last year because if he comes back and plays then he has to play in 2017 for free before he can become a free agent

18. Colmax

Colmax Well-Known Member

Dec 12, 2007
    Seriously?? Wow. That is very interesting.

So is this just a contractual loophole? I've never heard of such a thing, but hey, I can dig it .

19. Vertical Limit

Vertical Limit Senior Member

Nov 25, 2007
    Id say keep him.. Theres a good chance he fails the drug test anyways..

20. Finster

Jul 27, 2013
    I think that was a joke, pretty sure anyway, either way it's not possible for a player to play for nothing, debt bondage has been outlawed for quite some time, lol.

21. tirty8

tirty8 Well-Known Member

Jan 2, 2016
    How often we forget:

"Players who live on potential are coach killers. Go with the guys who have less talent but more dedication, more purpose." -Don Shula

This guy needs to go.

dolphin25, Fin D and Finster like this.
  22. Pauly

Nov 29, 2007
    I have no argument that Philbin misused a whole bunch of players.

However, I am not so certain about DJ. I remember watching his college highleet reel and coming away with the impression that almost all of his highlight came when he was unblocked, either through coaching or his natural speed putting him in a position where he didn't tneed to physically beat a blocker to make the play.
    It reminded me a lot of Ted Ginn's college highlight reel where he was making yards on unopposed catches thanks to his speed.

I put Ginn and Jordon in the same group. they are players that, because they have had exceptional talent they haven't had to work on their technique and physical confontrations in HighSchool or College, suffer because they don't have the required NFL tools.

The other problem I saw with DJ when he played was that he would often run himself out of position when he played in space. So I have doubts he has the mental ability/discipline to be a LB in the NFL. A bit like Jason Allen was he a safety? Was he a CB? No, he was too dumb to play in the NFL. Admittedly changing his position so often didn't help but he lacked the speed between the ears to do what was required in the NFL

Finster and dolphin25 like this.
  23. djphinfan

djphinfan Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Dec 20, 2007
    well, at this point you read him well, good job.

24. Pauly

Nov 29, 2007
    I in no way consider myself an expert. But my rule of thumb when watching college highlights is I want to see highlights of the player making successful opposed plays, and if they aren't there then it probably is because they don't have the technique/detremination to do so.

dolphin25 likes this.
  25. dolphin25

dolphin25 Well-Known Member

Nov 22, 2014
    that just sounds way to logical :)

26. dgfred

dgfred Free Agent pickup

Dec 17, 2015
    N.C., USA
    Maybe the Panthers will take him... Ginn has been magnificent for them after Benjamin went down in preseason.

27. Finster

Jul 27, 2013
    Sounds like you saw the same thing I did when watching his college tape, he's not hard to block, and that's due to his lack of strength, and he would run himself out of plays, many times following the wrong guy, which makes you think he's low on football IQ, which is backed up by the fact that they didn't want him playing LB.

Imo, he was a middle round project based on what he did in college, and his play in the NFL has backed that theory up.

28. LUDUPORCU

LUDUPORCU New Member

Feb 15, 2015
    We have already "paid the freight" for him. I say not only KEEP him but watch him very VERY closely, w/an eye toward STARTING him if he has matured and if he's as good as a lot of knowledgable "football people" thought.

After all, if he IS AS GOOD as advertised, then he's a lot better than almost all of the LB P-O-S's that we have now! Find out before cutting him...because if he IS AS GOOD AS ADVERTISED, then you KNOW where he'll end up if we don't find out and cut him too soon!!! Hint: Foxboro!!! And if THAT ever happens, then we'll all be moaning about what a certain Mr. LAWRENCE PETER BERRA once referred to as "Deja vu all over again", and cursing MIAMI's gross and ongoing organizational stupidity.

29. smahtaz

smahtaz Pimpin Ain't Easy

dgfred likes this.
  30. Shane Falco

Shane Falco Banned

Nov 22, 2015
    Our whole fanbase wanted him gone. But he will be in the superbowl.

Arm chair GMs strike again lol

DolphinGreg and dgfred like this.
  31. dgfred

dgfred Free Agent pickup

Dec 17, 2015
    N.C., USA
    I know... he had some real bad drops and some not-so-good games for the Panthers but Cam still went to him time and again.

He would like drop two then catch a touchdown. I remember watching him run back that punt for Ohio St... never thinking we would be picking him in the first rd later on.

32. resnor

resnor Derp Sherpa

Nov 25, 2007
    New Hampshire
    So...taking a guy with natural physical ability, and forcing him to gain weight, thereby negating his natural ability that you saw in college, isn't misusing him?

djphinfan likes this.
  33. resnor

resnor Derp Sherpa

Nov 25, 2007
    New Hampshire
    I didn't want him gone.

34. Finatik

Finatik Season Ticket Holder Staff Member Club Member

May 2, 2014
    SO Cal
    I say keep him. I was stupid enough to buy his jersey thinking that being the 1st round pick he was going to be "something". So in interest of me getting some use out of his jersey they need to get him to be a starter.

dgfred likes this.
  35. bakedmatt

Mar 29, 2008
    Orlando, FL
    Magnificent play would not include so many drops. 10 according to Sportingcharts.com and it's likely more than that.

That said, I didn't want to trade him away, but I likely wouldn't have supported a resigning when he became a FA for the first time either.

36. bakedmatt

Mar 29, 2008
    Orlando, FL
    Sure he was misused, but that's not why he's a bust either. I think he would have been a serviceable defensive end AT LEAST in our system if he didn't have a drug problem.

37. dgfred

dgfred Free Agent pickup

Dec 17, 2015
    N.C., USA
    The catches and runs he made were magnificent... led to them winning a couple of games. Regardless of drops.

Brown and Funchess also had the disease this season.

38. cuchulainn

cuchulainn Táin Bó Cúailnge Club Member

Sep 7, 2012
    Hattiesburg, MS
    Found this from Tessler Sports, who trains a lot of NFL players...

Be nice if it's true.

39. jw3102

jw3102 season ticket holder

Sep 4, 2010
    Maui, Hawaii
    Now that Kelly is with the 49er's, maybe he can convince the GM to trade the Dolphins a 7th round draft pick for Jordan. I don't see any other team foolish enough to trade for Jordan.

I don't think Jordan has any interest in playing for the Dolphins or the Dolphins having any interest in him being on the roster. So unless they can steal a draft pick from the 49er's, I suspect he will just get cut and go down as the biggest bust in Dolphin history.

40. bakedmatt

Mar 29, 2008
    Orlando, FL
    Eh... Magnificent is just too strong a term to describe his overall play this season.