1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Plumbing question.

Discussion in 'Lounge' started by smahtaz, Jan 16, 2016.

1. smahtaz

smahtaz Pimpin Ain't Easy

I am installing new Moen valves in a shower and a bathtub/shower in an old house. I have 14" access panels installed on the back side of both. I really don't want to shoot fire toward the fiberglass shower or plastic tub structure for soldering. Is there a pvc or pex solution?

2. smahtaz

smahtaz Pimpin Ain't Easy

Never mind. I went with soldering the copper. Not enough room for any other solution.

3. MikeHoncho

MikeHoncho -=| Censored |=-

Nov 13, 2009
    Duct tape

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

4. McLovin

McLovin Resident Pats fan.

May 7, 2008
    North Cacalaka
    You could have used a shark bite.

lots of plumbers hate them, but it's more because it makes a job that requires some skill very easy. they also have a 25 year warranty.

smahtaz and gunn34 like this.
  5. gunn34

gunn34 I miss Don & Dan

Jan 5, 2008
    Oviedo FL
    I use shark bites and PEX all the time now.

smahtaz likes this.
  6. Fin D

Fin D Sigh

Nov 27, 2007
    Are you a commercial plumber? I ask because it just occurred to me how different plumbing must be here in FL because everything is PVC (residential anyway).

Or are you in an old house with copper plumbing?

smahtaz likes this.
  7. McLovin

May 7, 2008
    North Cacalaka
    they're great for transitioning between different materials and quick fixes.

8. McLovin

May 7, 2008
    North Cacalaka
    every state is usually a little different because of different weather conditions. like on the west coast you have to use flex water and gas lines at water heaters where i believe in places like Illinois (not 100 percent on that) they're illegal, but there is an international code which is the basis for all state and local codes. Everything has to meet the IPC but state and local ad additional restrictions as long as they dont circumvent the IPC.

Also, what your probably seeing is pex. they dont really use cpvc for freshwater lines anymore, only sewer. copper is usually found in older houses or new construction where people are willing to pay extra for it, but it's hella expensive and people will go into your crawl space and steal it.

also, its not uncommon to see copper in places in a house where the pipe has to be rigid, such as showers and stub outs where your faucet connects to under your sink and then have pex behind the wall on the long runs.

smahtaz and Fin D like this.
  9. Fin D

Fin D Sigh

Nov 27, 2007
    Thanks!

McLovin likes this.
  10. McLovin

May 7, 2008
    North Cacalaka
    [​IMG]

Fin D likes this.
  11. gunn34

gunn34 I miss Don & Dan

Jan 5, 2008
    Oviedo FL
    I'm not a plumber by trade, but I have renovated six houses since I retired from the military in 2006. I currently live in an old house I'm renovating. I've been doing a lot of renovations of different houses over the years and usually transition from copper to PEX in all of them. It's easier to use than copper. As McLovin states below, cpvc isn't really used anymore. PVC is used for outdoor sprinkler systems here in Florida.

smahtaz and Fin D like this.