1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

If we end up with a chance to draft the best QB

Discussion in 'NFL Draft Forum' started by yoge, Nov 29, 2015.

1. yoge

yoge New Member

Dec 29, 2013
    Do we do it? If we end up having a top 5 draft pick and there is a really good QB for the taking, do we draft him or do we fill one of the many other holes this team has?

Another question: I don't follow college football players much but is there a potentially future star QB in college that will be going to the NFL next year?

2. cbrad

cbrad .

Dec 21, 2014
    This can't be a serious question anymore. We NEED a franchise QB and Tannehill isn't the answer.

3. Jt0323

Jt0323 Fins Up! Luxury Box

Dec 7, 2007
    Las Vegas
    To me there is no one in this draft class that is a cant pass up on, so no, I rather fix this offense of line

Shane Falco likes this.
  4. jim1

jim1 New Member

Jul 1, 2008
    The problem with Tannehill, to use a metaphor, is that he's pretty good at checkers but will probably never be the chess player that you want a great NFL QB to be. Ideally could we use an upgrade? Yes, I think so. But this team- massive holes on the OL, significant weaknesses in the secondary and at LB, plus the fact that we have RT under a huge contract- leads me to believe that we'll stick with him, even though he'll never be a maestro like Brees, Brady, Rodgers are and Manning used to be.

The ongoing mess with the OL is a joke at this point but it has to be fixed. Tannehill not even being able to audible in season 4 says a ton- he's more of a game manager than game winner. So do you dump RT or fix the massive talent holes on the team? I think the latter, unless some total stud, nearly can't miss QB falls to them on draft day. Not likely, but you never know.

djphinfan likes this.
  5. MikeHoncho

MikeHoncho -=| Censored |=-

Nov 13, 2009
    If there's still a chance to do this and also rebuild the offensive line, then yes.

6. cbrad

cbrad .

Dec 21, 2014
    I'd say there is because you can't convince me one has to spend high draft picks to build a good enough OL. Get a good OL coach in there and have enough mid-rounders/FA's on OL and find the best combo. Use the high value picks on skill positions.

7. Bumrush

Bumrush Stable Genius Club Member

Nov 25, 2007
    Are you insane!! He threw for two TD's and nearly 300 yards. The guy is obviously a franchise QB. He also threw a nice deep ball to Landry. (Fitzpatrick threw better and also had some nice deep balls that has more to do with scheme and coaching than anything)

8. MikeHoncho

Nov 13, 2009
    God damn it, Stills.

Props to Landry, for not showing the Quit that eveyone else seems to be showing tons of today.

Great job Douglas. Great job, Albert. Great job Fox.

9. MikeHoncho

Nov 13, 2009
    Parker with the garbage time.

10. jim1

jim1 New Member

Jul 1, 2008
    How many of the TDs and passing yards were in garbage time?

11. cuchulainn

cuchulainn Táin Bó Cúailnge Club Member

Sep 7, 2012
    Hattiesburg, MS
    Agree. If you do draft a QB, do you think he'd fare well behind an OL of Dallas Thomas, Billy Turner, Jamil Douglas, with a swing Tackle of Jason Fox? Not likely. Fix the OL next season with viable starters and see how Tannehill does with the improved OL as we know from last season that he can fare well with solid run support even with pourous line. If he fails in 2016 to improve his play, then worry about drafting another STARTING QB and not just competition for 2017. Regardless, the OL must be improved at 2 or 3 positions.

YMMV.

12. cuchulainn

cuchulainn Táin Bó Cúailnge Club Member

Sep 7, 2012
    Hattiesburg, MS
    2 TDs were in garbage time, yes. PFF recorded 7 drops by the receivers in the game. I only counted 4. They also listed Stills as 1 of the 2 worst receivers of the week.

The Parker TD was very sweet though regardless. Jets blitzed 7 and dropped 4. Ajayi had a key block in the backfield to buy an extra 100th of a second and Tannehill delivered the ball to Parker on time. Parker made a fantastic catch and juked both Cromartie and Gilchrist into missing tackles and ran for the TD. Great play all around - even if it was in garbage time. More importantly, it was valuable experience for Parker and helped show why we drafted him.

YMMV.

13. ckparrothead

ckparrothead Draft Forum Moderator Luxury Box

Dec 1, 2007
    As a rule if you're really not sure about a QB and a guy you adore falls to you then you should probably take him. If that guy for you is Goff or Cook or Lynch, and you're not very sure what you can get out of Tannehill even if you switch systems and improve the OL, etc, and you get a chance to take your guy, you should go that way.

Personally I still go to sum-of-parts with Tannehill and I have a hard time giving up on him. I also like, but don't love, most of the QBs in this draft. The guy I'm still on the fence about in terms of loving is Jared Goff. Certain things I adore about him. Certain other things, wish they were better. But that's every year, every QB. There's never a perfect one, not even Luck.

Rocket2981 likes this.