1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Charles Robinson: Sean Payton should be atop our radar

Discussion in 'Miami Dolphins Forum' started by LBsFinest, Nov 24, 2015.

1. LBsFinest

LBsFinest Banned

Jul 24, 2012
    http://sports.yahoo.com/news/dolphi...ir-top-head-coaching-candidate-021752712.html

MIAMI GARDENS, Fla. – The three men stood and smiled at halftime for fans, each likely thicker around the midsection than most of the Miami Dolphins' faithful remembered. Bob Griese grinned and pointed at the Hall of Fame ring that Don Shula was slipping onto his finger. Dan Marino steadied the iconic coach with an extended arm. The stands showered applause onto the trio that had created so many indelible Dolphins memories.

It was a touching moment, this halftime celebration with the cornerstones of one of the NFL's crown jewel franchises. But halftimes end, and what came after this one was Miami's disappointing 24-14 loss to the Dallas Cowboys on Sunday. Missed opportunities and a mediocre offense gave Dolphins fans their latest dose of the reality that has taken root in Miami. Much like wrinkles digging into the faces of the franchise icons, the best days of this franchise are looking older and more weathered by the year.

All of which leads Miami to this offseason, and one of the most important decisions since Marino was plucked in the 1983 draft. With a talented roster that is largely set and a salary cap that is showing stretch marks in the near term, team owner Stephen Ross can't afford to miss on his next coaching hire. Not after a deacde of resets by the team – from Cam Cameron to Tony Sparano to Joe Philbin. This time, Ross needs the proven commodity. He needs the Super Bowl winner. The quarterback whisperer. The visor.

He needs Sean Payton.

While there may be other job openings on the horizon with younger quarterbacks or better short-term cap situations or better stadiums, none of them have the big stage potential of Miami. None of them are as ready to win in 2016 with the right tweaking. And none of them have an owner with the ear of Bill Parcells, who remains a close friend and adviser to Payton.

Of course, this would cost. After reporting that Payton could be exiting the franchise this offseason, someone from the Saints reached out to tell me it would be "comical" to suggest New Orleans would let him leave for nothing. So there would be compensation involved in reeling in Payton. But in this case, with the personalities on this Miami roster, it makes the investment worthwhile.

2. bran

bran Senior Member

Dec 20, 2007
    New Hampshire
    not sure if i would want payton.

dolphin25 likes this.
  3. Finster

Finster Finsterious Finologist

Jul 27, 2013
    I wouldn't mind Payton, but I wouldn't give up anything to get him, the bigger question imo, would Payton want us, how does the Fins situation look to prospective coaches who have NFL clout.

MAFishFan and dolphin25 like this.
  4. CitizenSnips

CitizenSnips hmm.

Nov 29, 2007
    PA
    That would be nice. Won't happen, cause you kno, Dolphins.

number21 likes this.
  5. bran

bran Senior Member

Dec 20, 2007
    New Hampshire
    we have been a dumpster fire for years i doubt we would be a #1 or #2 on many coaches lists.

6. djphinfan

djphinfan Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Dec 20, 2007
    they want compensation..not sure I'm ready to do that..gonna let the season play out here.

7. Colmax

Colmax Well-Known Member

Dec 12, 2007
    I think Campbell is just not there. There are many wrinkles to being a head coach in the NFL that he just cannot iron out this year. Injuries are tough for any coach, not for just an interim former tight ends coach. He has that. Campbell hasn't even been a coordinator in the league. He has that. As I commented earlier in the year, it's almost like making the fry guy the store manager at Mickey Dees. Not quite as hyperbolic, but maybe even more difficult.

The reality is, Miami took a coach with limited experience and gave him the keys to the car.

The idiosyncrasies in being an NFL head coach are too much for him. I don't even know if the game isn't (as a head coach) given some questionable in-game decisions. Yes, he has the support of players and his staff, but let's be honest, unless Miami gets some exceptional coordinators in next year, this team is in for another rebuild. And it may come down to that anyway, with or without Campbell. And I actually like what Lou Anarumo is doing with some things. His name just sounds like a D Coordinator. IF Sean Payton comes, why not keep him? For that matter, why not keep Campbell?

I like that Payton is in the conversation. Miami needs a head coach who knows how to be an NFL head coach. Sure, you can say he has Brees, but Brees has always pointed to Sean Payton as the reason for his otherworldly stats and success. Brees' career could have easily gone the other direction given his surgical history. James Andrews even noted that it was the "most remarkable comeback" he has ever treated.

Miami needs a QB whisperer, and I can only see one guy who can potentially turn around Tannehill's career who is "on the market", and his name is Sean Payton. Tannehill is here, for at least another couple of years. This team is invested in him, even if they don't want to be.

I think the brass in Miami has always had it in the back of their minds that this season is not going to go as planned after canning Philbin. I drank the preseason Kool-Aid. As did the media, and most of us here. The players did. They've done nothing and expected it to happen. It didn't. It won't. Time to move on.

They need a ballsy head coach (see: onside kick in Super Bowl XLIV) who knows, not only how to be a head coach in the NFL, but also knows how to coach QBs. I personally am not sure if Tannehill IS the answer, but I am willing to give him the benefit of the doubt given who he has had to work under. I'll tell you one thing, I'm not even sure that the players believe in Tannehill and only respect him because of his position and because he is (seemingly) a decent individual.

I think Tannehill works hard and puts up decent stats. But does he even look like he is in control out there? Has he ever? I wonder how many LATE fourth-quarter comebacks he has in his career? I've not seen many, if any. That's just the reality of it. And I want Tannehill to be the face of this franchise. Unless Miami goes after this Payton guy, I am not sure Tannehill will ever become it.

8. roy_miami

roy_miami Well-Known Member

Oct 11, 2013
    There is no reason for the Saints to be sucking so badly the past few seasons other than the coaching sucks.

SCall13 and dolphin25 like this.
  9. Colmax

Colmax Well-Known Member

Dec 12, 2007
    That organization, hell, that town, has some major issues that need some tweaking. The only thing that keeps Payton in town is Drew Brees. Not to say that the writing is on the walls in New Orleans, but those are some ugly *** walls over there that need a good whitewashing.....

10. dullfandan

dullfandan Active Member

Sep 15, 2013
    Charlotte N.C.
    Les miles anyone? I'm just throwing it out there.. 11 years straight with 10 wins in the sec.. Players love him..
    gene chizik for dc

11. brandon27

brandon27 Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Dec 3, 2007
    Windsor, ON. CANADA
    No thanks to Payton, I guess I wouldn't be terribly upset. Sign me up for Hue Jackson. He's my guy right now.

SuhMe, Shane Falco and bran like this.
  12. bran

bran Senior Member

Dec 20, 2007
    New Hampshire
    the guy definitely knows offense.

dolphin25 likes this.
  13. Ohio Fanatic

Ohio Fanatic Twuaddle or bust Club Member

Nov 26, 2007
    Concord, MA
    No thanks. I very seriously doubt that Payton can recreate the magic he had in New Orleans a few years ago.
    What would we rather do:
    - throw the bank and draft picks for Payton, hope that he can recreate the small window of magic - handcuffed with likely no 1st round pick?
    - throw the bank (but a lot less) to ensure we get Hue Jackson, save our draft picks (for a friggin LB) and hope that we can install a real offense that isn't predicated on bubble screens?

I'll take the latter any day of the week

MAFishFan likes this.
  14. CrunchTime

CrunchTime Administrator Retired Administrator

Nov 23, 2007
    Well there is that Parcells and TBaum connection there so its not out of the realm of possibility .Personally I would pass due to the high price we would have to pay in draft picks .

Hue Jackson is appealing to me. He has NFL HC experience and a reasonably good track record.

What I definitely dont want is to be the training ground for another first time NFL HC especially college HCs like Meyer ,Miles or Malzahn .

All three a great recruiters who depend on great athletes who outmatch other teams.Once they dont have those athletes they look ordinary.
    In the NFL all of the players are great athletes.

Finster likes this.
  15. ExplosionsInDaSky

ExplosionsInDaSky Well-Known Member

Sep 13, 2011
    I'd be down for Payton or Hue Jackson.....Either one.

SuhMe likes this.
  16. Disgustipate

Disgustipate Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Nov 25, 2007
    You're going to give up a first round pick plus for Sean Payton?

A guy who has already won a Super Bowl elsewhere, hasn't shown he can rebuild or do it without Drew Brees, and whom has struggled massively with getting the defensive side of the ball figured out- being on his fifth defensive coordinator?

MAFishFan, dolphin25 and Fin D like this.
  17. Colmax

Colmax Well-Known Member

Dec 12, 2007
    I'm only on board with Payton because he seems like the only viable option. But if there are a ton of picks involved, I'm opposed to it, which I guess would be the case. I can see Hue Jackson from all the talk here, but is he even on the market?

18. RoninFin4

RoninFin4 Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Dec 11, 2007
    Cincinnati, Ohio
    I'm all in for Hue Jackson in 2016.

[​IMG]

bran, Onehondo, Marco and 5 others like this.
  19. Phins_Fan_87

Phins_Fan_87 Phins and Heat fan Club Member

Mar 9, 2013
    Weston
    I dont want to pay any picks for a coach. **** that. we need all the picks we can use, this team is riddles with holes and weak minded players.

20. slickj101

slickj101 Is Water

Dec 21, 2007
    NY
    [​IMG]

RoninFin4 likes this.
  21. Rocky Raccoon

Rocky Raccoon Greasepaint Ghost Staff Member

Dec 2, 2007
    Jersey
    My exact feelings. I wouldn't hate it if we hired Payton, but I'm on the Hue Jackson bandwagon.

22. Fin D

Fin D Sigh

Nov 27, 2007
    I said it before and I'll say it again...if you were horrified at BullyGate and thought Philbin was a clueless dolt because he didn't have any idea what was going on, then for the sake of consistency, you have to be even more horrified and feel Payton is even more clueless for what happened with BountyGate.

BountyGate was a borderline criminal enterprise happening directly under Payton's nose and he either knew about it which is awful or didn't which is also awful.

resnor and RoninFin4 like this.
  23. slickj101

slickj101 Is Water

Dec 21, 2007
    NY
    Too busy in the pill cabinet.

Fin D likes this.
  24. Vertical Limit

Vertical Limit Senior Member

Nov 25, 2007
    Have you seen their cap and defensive talent? There is plenty reason why theyre where they are.

25. ckparrothead

ckparrothead Draft Forum Moderator Luxury Box

Dec 1, 2007
    I am not in favor of Sean Payton even if we don't have to give up draft picks.

1. We're talking about a guy that rode the coat tails of a true blue Hall of Fame quarterback who managed to stay healthy for 10 straight seasons (Brees missed TWO games the whole decade...they lost both). Yet, half of those seasons the Saints might as well have been the Joe Philbin-led Dolphins. We're talking 7-9, 7-9, 7-9, 7-9, 8-8. Yeah they were a playoff team in the other five seasons. But you're led by a quarterback you can safely refer to as "elite" without getting any argument from anybody. Yeah I think with 10 consecutive healthy seasons of that guy leading your team the chances are pretty decent you're gonna win a Super Bowl one of those years. But what happens when you take Drew Brees away? Hell you could argue Sean Payton couldn't win sh-t when you take Gregg Williams away, let alone Drew Brees.

2. Statistically speaking the argument about coaches who have won Super Bowls not winning Super Bowls elsewhere...I don't like making that argument based purely on the statistics. I'm too quant oriented to do it with a straight face. But anecdotally there is definitely a valid rationale behind why Super Bowl winning coaches could have a difficult time reaching that level again. Your work ethic and patience runs shorter (see: Johnson, Jimmy). You can be beholden to an exact formula that won you the previous Super Bowl whereas I think we understand that every team is different and needs to develop their own way of winning. It's just not something I buy.

3. I think Fin D brought this up but if you can think of some of the major PR nightmares that the NFL has seen over the last decade, you might rank BountyGate #1 for how incredibly ****ed up it was. It was borderline criminal and it was happening right under Sean Payton's nose. He either didn't know about it despite it going on under his nose which is terrible, or he knew about it which is even worse. This was players and coaches setting up a bonus payment system for injuring other football players. It makes the Bullygate scandal in Miami look like a traffic citation.

Personally I say **** this guy. Just move on.

RevRick, resnor, RoninFin4 and 6 others like this.
  26. jw3102

jw3102 season ticket holder

Sep 4, 2010
    Maui, Hawaii
    The biggest issue I have with going after Payton is he is still under contract. So unless the Saints fire him, which I doubt, he would cost the Dolphins at least a first round draft pick to get him form the Saints.

Unless Brees come with Payton, I really can't see the Dolphins giving up a first round pick for Payton. Perhaps a third round pick for Payton and Brees and the Dolphins can throw in Tannehill as part of the trade.

With that move, the Dolphins instantly become a legitimate playoff contender next year.

27. ckparrothead

Dec 1, 2007
    If you get Sean Payton without compensation then it's not like you've done a bad thing. It's not going to be Cam Cameron bad and probably not even Joe Philbin bad.

But you can do better. I would like to do better.

RevRick, RoninFin4 and brandon27 like this.
  28. dolphin25

dolphin25 Well-Known Member

Nov 22, 2014
    I would keep Campbell. I like that the team seems 100% behind him. I would bring in Willy Taggart or Jeff Brohm, both college head coaches (former QB's) that have their teams offenses putting up some great numbers, and they are calling the plays too.

29. LBsFinest

LBsFinest Banned

Jul 24, 2012
    I think there's a chance we wouldn't have to give up any picks...we all thought the Niners would demand draft picks for Harbaugh, I think Payton could force his way outta there in the same fashion.

as for Hue Jackson I like him as well but I give Payton the edge here, if they wanted a 1st that'd be tough to part with so I'd have to think about it....but I'd do a 2nd, we'll be picking pretty high, could always trade down and get it back.

30. Piston Honda

Piston Honda Well-Known Member

Sep 23, 2014
    If you've got a three legged horse then it really doesn't matter who the jockey is.

31. Piston Honda

Sep 23, 2014
    The Dolphins need a strong running game so that Tannehill can get down into the 28-30 passes per game range. Some CBs who can play man, a FS who can handle the deep middle plus a LB who can around and make some plays. Do those things, then any decent coach will be able to get the job done.

32. cbrad

cbrad .

Dec 21, 2014
    Except we have a 4-legged horse.. problem is our horse is average compared to the others. Jockey matters (coach has a lot of influence dude).

dolphin25 likes this.
  33. Piston Honda

Sep 23, 2014
    I'll be the first to admit I thought Miam had a good, potentially a really good, football team. I was wrong, found that out after three weeks.

Outside of Belichek, I don't see any coaches/teams winning more than their talent suggests they should on a consistent basis.

cbrad likes this.
  34. jw3102

jw3102 season ticket holder

Sep 4, 2010
    Maui, Hawaii
    The players are behind him because he is the known. It is the unknown they are concerned about. Unfortunately Campbell just isn't ready to be an NFL head coach and the Dolphins do not need a 4th consecutive head coach who has to try and learn on the job.

Cameron, Sparano, and Philbin have all proved there was a reason no one else wanted them as a head coach at the NFL level. Campbell may be a decent head coach somewhere down the line, but he isn't ready to be a permanent head coach at this time.

As far as taking what the players want into consideration. They are 4-6 at this time. They haven't had a winning season since 2008 and only Denny was on the team that year. They need to concern themselves with winning ball games now and less with who the head coach will be HC in 2016.

35. dolphin25

Nov 22, 2014
    Do you think Belichek could win with this Dolphins team? Do you think he could win with this team and Brady as his QB?

36. dolphin25

Nov 22, 2014
    They are still 3-3 with Campbell coaching. I just feel he has them at least playing hard, which is really critical now. They could have tossed in the towel. I would rather keep him and get a couple tweaks to improve.

37. Sleepy

Sleepy Well-Known Member

Dec 8, 2011
    Surprise, Arizona
    Payton is also a no for me.

This guy has always had bad defenses in his time with New Orleans.

He might go and try to trade Suh away.

If you ain't talking defense I don't wanna talk.

He can't be trusted.

38. ckparrothead

Dec 1, 2007
    Might have to flip my stance on Payton not necessarily being a "bad" hire if he comes without compensation...if what I've heard about his personal life is true. He's a wreck. There have been signs.

39. Ronnie Bass

Ronnie Bass Luxury Box Luxury Box

Dec 19, 2007
    No NFL coach has ever won a Super Bowl with two teams, I'm sure it will happen one day, I just find it hard to believe that Payton is that good of a coach to buckle the trend.

40. jdang307

jdang307 Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Nov 29, 2007
    San Diego
    Which means he's destined to be our next head coach. Because that's what happens to the Dolphins.