1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

I was so terribly wrong about....

Discussion in 'Miami Dolphins Forum' started by LI phinfan, Nov 18, 2015.

1. LI phinfan

LI phinfan Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Nov 6, 2013
    I got to thinking about how many times over the years,as a fan, that I have been wrong about a player or coach or anything Miami dolphin. Some so wrong it is embarrassing....here are a few to get off my chest. I wanted Shula fired and thought the game had passed him by....I wanted Jimmy Johnson.... I wanted Parcells....I thought Mike Wallace would be a perfect fit. I thought David Woodley was going to be a star....Same with John Beck...Same with Ellerbe. Loved Tony Sparano....Thought Bill Lazor was a genius. Thought Wanny was a good replacement for JJ....was fine in letting Wes Welker being traded...same with Brandon Marshall. Thought Philbin would turn us into winners...Thought Ireland had an idea how to draft...wanted Brady Quinn in the worst way. I think I just made myself sick. what about you guys? It can't be anymore embarrissing than mine.

2. cbrad

cbrad .

Dec 21, 2014
    All of us have been wrong like that (specific examples differ of course), which is why "expert" opinions (whether it's a self-proclaimed one or someone most others recognize as an expert) mean so little to me (though I'll quote experts too).

Now.. if someone can prove they can consistently beat Vegas, then yeah I'd give that person's opinion some real credibility, but that's about it. Knowledge is one thing.. ability to predict (use that knowledge in a relevant way) another.

3. Rock Sexton

Rock Sexton Anti-Homer

Mar 14, 2015
    For starters, I thought Lamar Miller was brain dead and nothing more than a one-dimensional back. He's turned into a great runner as well as pass receiver.

Btw, most of the Philbin-influenced trades I still despise.

DolphinGreg likes this.
  4. jboogie

jboogie The sky is NOT falling!

Orton or Flynn anyone?

resnor and MikeHoncho like this.
  5. Dorfdad

Dorfdad Well-Known Member

Dec 9, 2007
    Im on board with you but I still one up you! I wanted the red Michael Jackson parachute pants back in the 80's because I thought they made you instantly cool!

RevRick and Pandarilla like this.
  6. Bumrush

Bumrush Stable Genius Club Member

Nov 25, 2007
    Thought Lamar Miller wasn't worth a 5th round pick.

Thought Ryan Tannehill was a franchise QB.

Thought JJ would bring a Super Bowl title.

Thought Henne could be the QB savior.

I don't think anymore when it comes to the Dolphins. Lesson learned. Until I see it, I won't believe it.

Fin-O, AdamC13 and MikeHoncho like this.
  7. RoninFin4

RoninFin4 Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Dec 11, 2007
    Cincinnati, Ohio
    I wanted to draft Vernon Gholston at #1 instead of Jake Long and I thought Brady Quinn would make us regret passing on him in 2007.

8. Rick 1966

Rick 1966 Professional Hipshooter

Nov 23, 2007
    Powell, WY
    I wanted Brady Quinn in the 2007 draft. Now, I was right about NOT wanting Ted Ginn, but Quinn turned out to be a bust.

9. djphinfan

djphinfan Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Dec 20, 2007
    I was in love with Dion Jordan.

jboogie and Rex Deus like this.
  10. Bumrush

Bumrush Stable Genius Club Member

Nov 25, 2007
    What happened? You got turned off when you saw his beer gut?

SCall13 and Fin-O like this.
  11. MikeHoncho

MikeHoncho -=| Censored |=-

Nov 13, 2009
    Brady Quinn!

jboogie likes this.
  12. dolphin25

dolphin25 Well-Known Member

Nov 22, 2014
    I can't think of anything I was wrong about. I wanted to keep Shula. I didn't want Quinn, but I sure didn't want Ginn either.

John Beck was about as good a choice as we had at the time.

I knew Wallace (who I like) was a bad fit here cause Tannehill can't\won't throw the deep ball.

I loved Miller once I saw him play. Same with Matthews.

13. keypusher

keypusher Well-Known Member

Nov 29, 2007
    I've thought lots of dumb Dolphin thoughts, but I'll share just one.

I was a big Fiedler homer...remember when we had a shot at Brees, and Wannstedt said something like "what can he do that our guy can't do?" I actually thought he had a point.

*hangs head*

resnor and Rocky Raccoon like this.
  14. Rocky Raccoon

Rocky Raccoon Greasepaint Ghost Staff Member

Dec 2, 2007
    Jersey
    I thought A.J. Feeley was a good trade for us.

What do I win?

15. LI phinfan

Nov 6, 2013
    A slap on the *** that will cause you an injury!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

RevRick, Boik14 and Rocky Raccoon like this.
  16. emocomputerjock

emocomputerjock Senior Member

Nov 23, 2007
    DC
    It was Trent Green Wanny said that about. Trent Green went on to post like 6 consecutive 90+ rating seasons, and Jay Fiedler...well

Puka-head, SCall13 and keypusher like this.
  17. dolphin25

Nov 22, 2014
    considering what we had playing, it seemed like a good move.

18. dolphin25

Nov 22, 2014
    I wanted us to draft Cordelle Patterson. We didn't, so based on what he is doing with the Vikings, it looks like a good none move.

BigNastyDB13 likes this.
  19. MikeHoncho

Nov 13, 2009
    I honestly thought Trent Green and Ted Ginn would help turn the franchise around. A gristled veteran Superbowl "champion" QB with some good years under his belt, and a shiny new speedy deep threat weapon at WR. Joey Porter and Jason Taylor, future HoFers on the defense.

What could possibly have gone wrong?

20. LI phinfan

Nov 6, 2013
    I thought it was a good move to trade up for Jordan....thought Cecil Collins was going to be great...I also thought this years defense was a top 3

21. Dol-Fan Dupree

Dol-Fan Dupree Tank? Who is Tank? I am Guy Incognito.

Dec 11, 2007
    I was really excited about Culpepper. I thought Anthony Simmons would be an excellent pick up. I thought Dion Jordan would make an excellent playmaking linebacker.

I still think Sparano can work out if he has a really good staff around him. I still think Wanny is a fine coach, just an absolutely terrible god awful and arguably as bad as Matt Millen General Mananger. Say what you want about Matt, he never sent a first round pick for Rick Mirer or thought that Jay Fielder was a franchise quarterback.

MikeHoncho likes this.
  22. Dol-Fan Dupree

Dec 11, 2007
    Would have been disappointing. Though he probably would just be seeing the field now with Danimal as coach.

dolphin25 likes this.
  23. LI phinfan

Nov 6, 2013
    I thought Jim Drunkenmiller was going to be our answer at QB

24. AdamC13

AdamC13 Well-Known Member

May 3, 2010
    I thought Marino would have multiple Super Bowl wins by the time he retired. I thought Harrington, Quinn, Henne and Flynn all had a chance to be good fits with Miami with the right coaching and scheme.

25. djphinfan

djphinfan Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Dec 20, 2007
    when two idiotic coaches philbin/coyle decided to make him gain 35 lbs and change his position of destiny.

26. LI phinfan

Nov 6, 2013
    John Avery was going to be a big play returner and RB

27. pumpdogs

pumpdogs Well-Known Member

Sep 22, 2009
    delaware
    I thought tanny was going to throw for 35 tds and run for over 300yds this year and be a fantasy steal.

Bumrush likes this.
  28. Rock Sexton

Rock Sexton Anti-Homer

Mar 14, 2015
    Honestly, Fiedler was having a really good year before he broke his thumb in that amazing win at Denver where the kickers traded 50+ yard field goals at the end of the game. I wish I could have watched the rest of it play out without the injury.

29. LI phinfan

Nov 6, 2013
    Thanks Rock... Gulp... I thought Ray Lucas would be an improvement over Fiedler when he got hurt... Ouch!

jdallen1222 and Dol-Fan Dupree like this.
  30. Rock Sexton

Rock Sexton Anti-Homer

Mar 14, 2015
    Ray Lucas turned out to one of the mentally weakest athletes to ever play a sport.

31. Dol-Fan Dupree

Dec 11, 2007
    I did too. I was so wrong.

32. LI phinfan

Nov 6, 2013
    I remember Lucas firing a 4th down pass late in a gm vs Buffalo right into the ground with a chance to win....god he was awful! I also thought signing Pennington would be a huge mistake!

33. Mcduffie81

Mcduffie81 Wildcat Club Member

Mar 23, 2008
    Lake Worth, Fl.
    One that sticks out was how excited I was when we traded for Lamar Gordon.

sports24/7 likes this.
  34. thetylernator

thetylernator You're as cold as ice, Officer Friendly.

Dec 31, 2014
    Thought Jason Allen was going to be a revelation. Turns out, he was only that in Madden '06.

Also believed the Phillip Merling/Kendall Langford tandem would be a force for many years to come. Laughed at the Sean Smith selection. Was high on Clyde Gates. Repeatedly proclaimed J.P. Losman to be the next legendary QB.

BUT on the bright side, I knew all along that Devonta Freeman would turn into a studly RB. Still pissed that we didn't draft him to complement Lamar.

35. Fin-O

Fin-O Initiated Club Member

Sep 28, 2015
    I have a long list so I will just go with this year.......

We would win DD games
    Devante Parker would make a huge impact
    Ryan Tannehill would be a top 10 qb
    Jamar Taylor would show signs of stardom

36. Unlucky 13

Unlucky 13 Team Raheem Club Member

Apr 24, 2012
    Troy, Virginia
    I thought that after he came back after briefly quitting after the 98 season, Jimmy would stick around for a while. In retrospect, he was done and probably shouldn't have returned.

I liked Wanny more than I probably should have as our HC. I defended him on boards when he was hired.

I was down on the drafting of both Sam Madison and Patrick Surtain.

I thought that Rob Konrad would be a much better player for us than he ended up being. Loved watching him play in college.

Same with Matt Roth, Jason Allen, and Lorenzo Booker, all of whom I loved as prospects and was excited to see us draft.

The BIG one with the draft I was wrong about was Henne. When we weren't able to trade down from #1, my best case scenerio was picking him up in the second round. I was certain he was better than Flacco, and only a small step down from Matt Ryan. I saw a Phil Simms style career for him.

I was more excited about Daunte Culpepper than I should have been. His knee was garbage.

I thought that Rishard Matthews would never do anything worth while in a Dolphins uniform.

I thought that Saban and Parcells were both deals with the devil, but worth it and that the ends would justify the means. They weren't.

There were no right answers in the 2007 draft. I wanted Quinn too. Yes, there were players taken then ended up being great just after our pick, but we weren't taking a RB, CB or MLB there.

LOVED Jay Cutler as a prospect. The QB I've thought the most highly of since Peyton Manning, and I desperately wanted us to trade up for him.

Didn't think that Aaron Rodgers was worth drafting #2 in 2005. Hated Alex Smith and thought he'd never amount to anything. Wrong on both.

37. MikeHoncho

Nov 13, 2009
    That we were primed to unseat the Pats atop the AFCE, leaving in our wake a crumbling Tom Brady.

Puka-head likes this.
  38. Boik14

Boik14 Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Nov 28, 2007
    New York
    There's a ton, it's called optimism. Without it you become like the guy in the old Major League movies...bitter and angry. I'd rather have hope and some incorrect picks then be that guy.

39. rdhstlr23

rdhstlr23 Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Dec 2, 2007
    Chicago, IL
    I missed on Juan Huron.
    I thought he and Chris Chambers would make the most dynamic WR duo in Dolphins history.

I also missed on Zach Thomas as a Safety. Thought he would be great there.

:escape::couch:

emocomputerjock and Boik14 like this.
  40. muskrat21

muskrat21 Well-Known Member

May 11, 2014
    i was wrong about dolphin fans understanding what it meant to draft a QB that was a project.

PhinFan1968 likes this.