1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Alex Marvez: Campbell's got his work cut out for him, Dolphins problems are complex

Discussion in 'Miami Dolphins Forum' started by LBsFinest, Oct 7, 2015.

1. LBsFinest

LBsFinest Banned

Jul 24, 2012
    He's basically asking all the same questions we're asking:

http://www.foxsports.com/nfl/story/...st-practice-ryan-tannehill-joe-philbin-100715

Dolphinzdawgg and The G Man like this.
  2. The G Man

The G Man Git 'r doooonnne!!!

Mar 18, 2009
    Yes...why??? For the love of God...why??!!!

Is this franchise that freakin' dysfunctional???

Dolphinzdawgg likes this.
  3. resnor

resnor Derp Sherpa

Nov 25, 2007
    New Hampshire
    Jennings is sabotaging his use all on his own.

4. Colmax

Colmax Well-Known Member

Dec 12, 2007
    Ain't that the truth. I think that overthrow vs the Jets was the only ball that wasn't on the money to Jennings. Everything else I remember thrown to his way has been right in the bread basket.

resnor likes this.
  5. bakedmatt

bakedmatt Well-Known Member

Mar 29, 2008
    Orlando, FL
  6. mlb1399

mlb1399 Well-Known Member

Mar 6, 2010
    At the same time, why would Suh agree to play in a 2 gap scheme? Why would he agree to the big paycheck but not so what he was paid for?

this isn't an attempt to bale him for our dysfunction but rather to understand why he would sign the contact and not play up to it?

dolphin25 and Finster like this.
  7. WhiteIbanez

WhiteIbanez Megamediocremaniacal

Aug 10, 2012
    The defense should be built around Suh. Not hard to understand at this point.

Dolphinzdawgg, resnor and Pandarilla like this.
  8. djphinfan

djphinfan Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Dec 20, 2007
    well the wole country is making fun of him and his style...they think the nfl is to complex for such a meathead style as they call it.

Pandarilla likes this.
  9. Phins Up Wins Up

Phins Up Wins Up Banned

Nov 27, 2014
    The 2 gap scheme is stupid anyway

10. Serpico Jones

Serpico Jones Well-Known Member

Feb 1, 2012
    The final few paragraphs in that column are depressing.

11. Finster

Finster Finsterious Finologist

Jul 27, 2013
    2 gap scheme? I don't think there is such a thing, it's positional, and every D line has a 2 gap player, 4 Dline and 5 Oline, someone better be 2 gapping if you want pressure from rushing 4, or any real ability to stop the run, and NT's are all 2 gap players.

12. MonstBlitz

MonstBlitz Nobody's Fart Catcher

Jan 14, 2008
    Hornell, NY
    Mentioned this in another thread that I had heard this somewhere and people told me it was dead wrong.

13. Phins Up Wins Up

Phins Up Wins Up Banned

Nov 27, 2014
    Coyle runs 2 gap schemes and its stupid because you're reacting to what the offense is doing instead of firing off the ball and hitting a gap hard. You're wrong. You aren't always a 2 gap player. Defensive ends get the outside. Defensive tackles are assigned a gap on some designed plays while the linebacker comes up and hits another gap. Do you know the difference between what Coyle is doing compared to what Suh did in Detroit? Are you really defending Coyle? We have one sack in 4 games and are the worst run defense in the NFL. This 2 gap defensive scheme has the D line reacting to the offense instead of just firing off the ball and dictating what the offense can do. You know what a 2 gap defensive scheme is compared to a 1 gap defensive scheme? You act like there isn't a difference. There definitely is. In Detroit Suh could freelance more and hit one gap hard at full force now here he has to stand up out of his stance and play 2 gaps reacting to what the offense does. You don't see that as a faulty scheme?

resnor likes this.
  14. jim1

jim1 New Member

Jul 1, 2008
    In this X’s and O’s Football breakdown, we thought we would explain what the differences is between one gap and two gap techniques are in football. For those of you who don’t know, hopefully this will write up will give you a better understanding between the two.

http://www.xsosfootball.com/one-gap-and-two-gap-techniques/

15. Phins Up Wins Up

Phins Up Wins Up Banned

Nov 27, 2014
    Lmao thank you. Some people don't know what they're talking about. Hard to imagine someone didn't know the defense Coyle has been running with the defensive line. This guy talks to me like I'm stupid.

resnor likes this.
  16. Finster

Jul 27, 2013
    Well, thats a kind of rudimentary picture of what a 2 gap PLAYER is, there isn't 1 gap and 2 gap defensive schemes really, as I said, they are about the individual players, Soliai used to be our 2 gap player, a 2 gap player is a space eater, again, this is not a defensive scheme, it's part of a D scheme, there are very few 4-3 Ds that don't have a 2 gap player, like I said in my first comment, if you want to generate a pass rush with your front 4, you NEED a 2 gap player who will EAT 2 blockers, even more for the run game, it's impossible to have a good run D without a 2 gap player.

It is not so simple as to say that 4-3 is 1 gap and 3-4 is 2 gap, 3-4 DEs are not always 2 gapping because there is almost always a blitzing LB, at least, so 3-4 ends change where they line up a lot, just like DTs, because they are very similar players, however, the NT is always 2 gapping.

Piston Honda likes this.
  17. Phins Up Wins Up

Phins Up Wins Up Banned

Nov 27, 2014
    lol I love it how you are trying to save face and act like you know what you're talking about. There is a difference between 1 gap and 2 gap techniques in football like another poster said. Coyle runs 2 gap SCHEMES for the defensive line and that is largely why Suh and the rest of this defense is nonexistent out there. And a NT is not always 2 gapping. Especially in a 4-3 defense like Miami. If you have him lined up straight over the center (0 technique) then yes. You do know a our DTs are rarely lined up in the 0 technique in a 4-3 defense right? Many times he is lined up in the 1 technique which is just on one side of the center. In the 1 technique he is responsible for ONE gap taking on the double team from the center and guard. A 1 technique NT plays in the gap on ONE side of the center and the guard on that side then you have your 3 technique DT taking a gap too. Do I need to draw a picture?

18. Finster

Jul 27, 2013
    Wow, that's funny, you telling me I don't know what I'm talking about then you start saying NTs in a 4-3... lol, there are no NTs in a 4-3, NT is 3-4, and is called that because they line up in the 0 tech, I don't expect you to know what that is, so I'll educate you, 0 tech is playing right in front of the C, on the NOSE of the football, hence the term NOSE tackle.

A 2 gap DT is the 4-3 version of a NT, but they don't line up in 0, they line up in the 1 or 2 tech, but their job is the same, clog the middle, it's almost always the left DT that is the 2 gap DT, and the right DT that is usually the penetrating DT.

Stop acting like you know what your talking about, you sound like you learned this stuff last week, and you've got a lot left to learn.

19. PhinFan1968

PhinFan1968 To 2020, and BEYOND! Club Member

He only stated what the 0 tech was in the post YOU QUOTED...but I guess you couldn't resist. Yet you tell others about their reading comprehension...

...back to Club.

resnor and Phins Up Wins Up like this.
  20. Phins Up Wins Up

Phins Up Wins Up Banned

Nov 27, 2014
    You really need to look up what a 2 gap scheme is. Because you really have no clue. Lol you're a tool dude you're talking about a NT 2 gapping always and we run a 4-3 defense. So I went a long with it. You're bringing irrelevant stuff to the conversation. What does a NT have to do with our 1 and 3 technique defensive tackles? Nothing. Our guys are hardly ever lined up in the 0 technique. Way to try to make a point when it is totally irrelelvant to this defense. They aren't responsible for 2 gaps like a NT is. Way to compare a NT defending two gaps to the 1 and 3 technique. Our closest defensive tackle to the ball which is the 1 technique is being doubled by the center and guard so he is responsible for that 1 gap. Why have him run a 2 gap scheme? As PhinFan1968 said talked about the 0 technique lining up straight across the center in a previous post and the 1 technique playing just to the side of the center. Thats cute though how you think you're educating me or anyone else here. The guy that doesn't know the difference between a 1 gap scheme and a 2 gap scheme for a defensive line. You don't know the defense Coyle has been running over the years? Suh lining up at the 1 and 3 technique. Is it really wise to have this guy run a 2 gap scheme based on where he is lined up? That is what was faulty with Coyles defense. Me and other posters have tried to educate you on this and you still don't get the difference between a 1 gap scheme and a 2 gap scheme for a defensive line. And you said Coyle wouldn't be fired. What happened to that? Educate yourself then maybe you can post without looking like a fool.

resnor likes this.
  21. Finster

Jul 27, 2013
    LOL, yea right, I'm the fool.

22. Samphin

Samphin Κακό σκυλί ψόφο δεν έχει

There is definitely a poster in this thread that practices a two gap scheme...in his head.

resnor, Piston Honda and Fin D like this.
  23. Fin D

Fin D Sigh

Nov 27, 2007
    There's also this stickied thread:

24. Fin D

Fin D Sigh

Nov 27, 2007
    [​IMG]

Good for you.

Samphin and resnor like this.