1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

The Phins.com Awards/Fan Appreciation/Grassroots Support/Real Fanbase

Discussion in 'Site Suggestions and Questions' started by Galant, Sep 3, 2015.

1. Galant

Galant Love - Unity - Sacrifice - Eternity

Apr 22, 2014
    So I was thinking about something that occurred to me while playing in the Survivor thread this year (Shameless plug - Get to the survivor thread and vote Wake!), and that is how a fan community like this could provide a new way to demonstrate support for the Dolphins team and players.

This being the digital age (and the age of the birth of social media) interaction between communities is getting easier and easier, and even interaction with 'celebrities'. Only recently a US Marine was able to contact Ronda Rousey and ask her to the Marine Ball and she not only received the message but accepted the invitation - and that's only the latest instance of 'regular folk' getting in touch with famous sports men and women. Now if a lone Marine (hoo rah!) can reach out and get a date with Ronda Rousey surely it's possible for us to reach out too. People talk a lot about fan-bases, and fan-bases talk a lot about teams and players and staff, but how can fan-bases grow to be better fan-bases, how can they do more than just talk? What if instead of trying to get something, what if fan-bases tried to give something back to their teams - to support their teams - in new ways?

So what am I talking about? Well, Brandon Fields was a long tenured and successful Dolphin. He might not have played in a highlight-reel position but he was a big part of the organisation. Even though he didn't retire with the Phins, what if fans could show their support for him, and say thank you? Might be nice. Among friends and family we'd call that normal, common-courtesy even. In the past the distance was great, but these days maybe fans are closer to their teams than ever before, and maybe that common-courtesy should become part of being a fan-base?

Then again, what if a player does retire with the team. Let's take Cam Wake as an example. He's a Dolphin 100%. So far he's never made the playoffs. Hopefully it'll be this year. Either way though, he looks set to retire a Dolphin. If and and when he retires, wouldn't it be awesome to be able to say 'thank you' and 'we respect you" to the aqua and orange blooded players who retire with the team (playoffs or no playoffs)? There are even injured players fighting to get back onto the field. Some encouragement and support there would never go amiss.

These are all one-off situations but what about regular ones? We're all watching these guys year in and year out. We love to see them fight it out on the field and enjoy their great performances. It would be awesome to show that appreciation, maybe to a fan-voted player of the year?

We expect loads from the team, the players. They have to speak well, be respectful, show appreciate for the fans, etc. etc. Fair enough. How about us, though? Are we happy to spectate and commentate and review and critique, or has new technology and a 'smaller world' made a new kind of support possible? Is there more that we can now do that we've never done before? And if so, are we willing to do it?

Speaking as a fan from Europe, it's not likely I'll get to see many live games. There may be some who'll never get to see a single one. Something like this would be an opportunity to show some real, tangible support for one's team, and players.

This maybe started out as a thought or a day-dream, but the fact is, the possibilities are real. The Phins.com is a real community of real fans across the USA and even the world. We are the Dolphins fans. This community has everything necessary to do this sort of thing. To come up with awards, trophies, messages, whatever, and become more than a digital 12th man. The fact is that we are the Dolphins fans. Some of them, anyway. Dare we take that and run with it, show some initiative and let the team know that we are here, we're real, and we're behind them all the way?

I've no-idea who the higher-ups are behind The Phins.com and whether they'd want to do something official with the community. If not, then fans/members could form their own, unofficial, group. Maybe someone else knows. All I know is that this is, for real, a possibility. The question is, should we make it a reality?

2. Galant

Apr 22, 2014
    Any reason this was moved to site suggestions?

This is more a post about being Dolphins fans than how to improve the website.

3. CrunchTime

CrunchTime Administrator Retired Administrator

Nov 23, 2007
    Bro.The staff here are all volunteers with jobs and businesses .Give us time to read and understand your thoughts when we get the time to discuss them amongst ourselves.

4. Galant

Apr 22, 2014
    Thanks Crunchtime. I've had the chance to speak with Paul13 who was very helpful. I wrote the above reply before I had spoken with anyone after seeing the thread moved.

I appreciate the time and effort put in by the Admin/mod staff. Not an easy job you do!

Paul 13 likes this.
  5. Paul 13

Paul 13 Chaotic Neutral & Unstable Genius Staff Member

Dec 3, 2007
    We are continuing to discuss this internally. :wink2: Speaking generally, I think we like the overall concept but the implementation is an obstacle.

Galant likes this.
  6. Galant

Apr 22, 2014
    Curious as to which element exactly. I was more brainstorming possibilities than anything. Hoping to generate some discussion which I guess it has.

What's the tricky part(s)? If I may ask?

7. Paul 13

Paul 13 Chaotic Neutral & Unstable Genius Staff Member

Dec 3, 2007
    ensuring that an award (plaque) gets to the intended recipient.

8. Galant

Apr 22, 2014
    One of the Dolphins media guys might be willing to assist with the connection, or a media source.

Then again, maybe a tweet to a player to make the initial contact. I've tweeted stuff out and got a favourite here and there so the are players who do check their own Twitter. Nothing ventured nothing gained?

Garfinkle has a twitter account but not sure if he checks it personally but I'd imagine he'd be all for something like this.

Suh is known to be active on Twitter. He has the Guinness World Record for a Tweetup.

Michael Thomas definitely views his. Landry is active too.

Paul 13 likes this.
  9. Galant

Apr 22, 2014
    On a related note - relationship between The Dolphins and the Phins.com - just seen that 'Pounding the Rock' an SBNation San Antonio Spurs community have arranged two PtR nights where a groups of seats are made available to PtR members at a discount.

Maybe something similar could happen for Phins.com members.

Any word on the award side of things?