1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Report: Carolina asked Miami to throttle down dominating pass rush

Discussion in 'Miami Dolphins Forum' started by jim1, Aug 22, 2015.

1. jim1

jim1 New Member

Jul 1, 2008
    CHARLOTTE, N.C.
    There’s a story floating around Dolphins camp this week only in whispers, perhaps out of deference to their hosts, or perhaps because it’s so hard to believe.

The story goes like this: After one practice against the Dolphins’ fearsome defensive front, Carolina coach Ron Rivera and his staff were forced to call an audible.

The Panthers’ line was overmatched Wednesday, and the pounding made it virtually impossible for the rest of their offense to operate a hurry-up offense.

And so, the host team (quietly) asked the Dolphins to ramp down the intensity in a two-minute drill Thursday, according to a source with direct knowledge of the situation.

Read more here: http://www.miamiherald.com/sports/nfl/miami-dolphins/article31839450.html#storylink=cpy

https://twitter.com/AdamHBeasley/status/634867169734488064

Ohio Fanatic likes this.
  2. PhinFan1968

PhinFan1968 To 2020, and BEYOND! Club Member

Never heard of that happening before...wow.

3. invid

invid Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Dec 9, 2012
    Report also says they did it for us during our 2-minute drill. The interesting question is who cried uncle first? The coaches would like people to believe if it was a mutual agreement. The report is somewhat inconclusive but definitely a fun read, and another reason for fans to feed into the excitement of this defensive line's potential.

4. Conuficus

Conuficus Premium Member Luxury Box

Dec 8, 2007
    Well away from here
    Hey Ron, to answer your question - no.

Can't handle it? Don't show the **** up.

5. Dol-Fan Dupree

Dol-Fan Dupree Tank? Who is Tank? I am Guy Incognito.

Dec 11, 2007
    I do not know. They looked like they decided to help them out this preseason game.

Athletic4ws likes this.
  6. the 23rd

the 23rd a.k.a. Rio

Apr 20, 2009
    Tampa Area
    coincidence of the pre-season, nothing more...

7. MikeHoncho

MikeHoncho -=| Censored |=-

Nov 13, 2009
    Lolol. They should have brought more lube.

Sent from my Transformer TF101 using Tapatalk 4

jegol71, jdallen1222 and PhinFan1968 like this.
  8. i get why a team might be tempted to make that kind of request but it sounds like a good way to get your players hurt. when players hold back they get themselves hurt. also it adds insult to all the season ticket holders who are forced to buy preseason tickets. the whole thing stinks if its true

Sent from my SM-G920P using Tapatalk

9. PhinFan1968

PhinFan1968 To 2020, and BEYOND! Club Member

Ya...like we carry that stuff around for our DSD4000 (Acme Dong Shrinkage Device).

10. GISH

GISH ~mUST wARN oTHERS~

Nov 23, 2007
    Over Yonder
    The report indicates this was during practice it doesn't say they did it in the game

11. thanks man i did not realize that.

Sent from my SM-G920P using Tapatalk

12. djphinfan

djphinfan Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Dec 20, 2007
    wake is smart and knows his body and timline, he doesnt give techniques away in preseason, nothing hes been working on, and doesnt release any unneccesary energy...he does the same in practice, its something I noticed a long time ago..hes simply cruising along crusin along...Suh is the same, these are athletes trained almost in a scientific way..these men do not need preseason action..quite frankly, I completely disagree with playing them any more than two series next week..this whole have to play a half and come out in the third is dated, risky, and uneccessary imo..ditto for Suh

gunn34 and Galant like this.
  13. Galant

Galant Love - Unity - Sacrifice - Eternity

Apr 22, 2014
    I read that the 'lack' of pass rush during practise was a pre-arranged agreement by both teams/Head Coaches, beforehand. For what it's worth.

And DJ, completely agree, I'd rather the pre-season games didn't even exist. Teams lose players to these games every year. Pointless IMO. We're talking about professionals who train more now than they ever did. The pre-season is, IMO, nothing more than a relic for a different era kept alive to make money.

If they absolutely want to keep these extra 'games' they should just make them real games and extend the regular season - or not play them at all. Risking players for anything less is stupid and unfair IMO.

gunn34 likes this.
  14. Dol-Fan Dupree

Dol-Fan Dupree Tank? Who is Tank? I am Guy Incognito.

Dec 11, 2007
    Myself I wasn't mentioning Suh and Wake. It was more Fede, McCain and the rest of the people who are trying to get a job.

Dieke had a really good sack.

15. FinSane

FinSane Cynical Dolphins Fan

Dec 1, 2007
    Melbourne, Fl
    Preseason is good to get chemistry going and simulate games for certain plays. But its mostly for training camp bodies to audition for a spot on the roster. Established starters shouldn't play more than a series or two in the first two games. After that, put in the backups the rest of the way. I'd be happy with cutting down to 2 games. 4 is just too much.

Sent from my SM-G900T using Tapatalk

gunn34 likes this.
  16. Galant

Galant Love - Unity - Sacrifice - Eternity

Apr 22, 2014
    From what I've read most coaches typically don't need the pre-season games to know who'll make the cut or not. I'm sure there are exceptions but I'd be curious to see if there was a way to determine the truth - see who is most likely on the chopping block before pre-season and who gets cut in the end.

17. gunn34

gunn34 I miss Don & Dan

Jan 5, 2008
    Oviedo FL
    I think 2 pre season games is enough to get some action for the new people trying to make the team. The vets with more than 5 or 6 years of service don't really need that time. Especially a vet with 10 or more years.