1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

New Starting Safety?

Discussion in 'Miami Dolphins Forum' started by Edsie2113, Aug 20, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Edsie2113

Edsie2113 New Member

Aug 20, 2015
    From what we saw from today's practice, Walt Akins doesn't seem to be the answer. Who do you think the dolphins new safety should be? I'm thinking Michael Thomas, but I believe Don Jones could be a big hitter like Delmas, but I'm worried about his coverage skills. What your opinions?

2. Fineas

Fineas Club Member Luxury Box

Jan 5, 2008
    What happened in practice today to make it seem like Aikens isn't the answer at S? Does it really make sense to come to that conclusion based on one practice?

Fin4Ever, Bpk, Boik14 and 6 others like this.
  3. jw3102

jw3102 season ticket holder

Sep 4, 2010
    Maui, Hawaii
    Could you be more specific as to what you saw in today's practice that leads you to the conclusion Akins is not starting quality?
    Living here in Hawaii, I don't get to see the practices, but from comments I have read on this form, many people view Akins as the likely replacement for Delmas in the starting lineup.

Did he have a terrible practice session against the Panthers today or are you just someone who doesn't like Akins and just wants to write a negative post without any specifics regarding your comment, "he doesn't seem to be the answer".

4. LiferYank

LiferYank New Member

Oct 1, 2012
    What was seen in practice? And starting a thread as your first post on most sites is seen as a possible sign of another troll.. Just saying.

5. RoninFin4

RoninFin4 Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Dec 11, 2007
    Cincinnati, Ohio
    Going off of nothing but my own opinion, I think Reshad Jones may have some more freedom to freelance than we might realize; one example is the play where Wake got the walk-off safety against the Bengals in 2013, look at Jones and Chris Clemons arguing pre-snap. Jones just waves him off right before the snap and blitzes. Michael Thomas did say that Jones helped him out tremendously after the 2013 game against the Pats when Thomas was pressed into action and got the game-clinching INT against Brady.

I think what Delmas' biggest contribution was was his versatility. You can line him up left or right, in the box to either side, as a high safety to either side. You can blitz him, he can play the run, and he could cover deep adequately enough. I think that's what Aikens, my favorite to replace Delmas, or Michael Thomas will lack initially.

I think the plus of it is is that Miami can use Reshad Jones more like they did in 2012 when he played in the box a ton (Delmas was actually in the box last year at a higher percentage than Jones). Jones is and adept blitzer, good tackler, and I think he pursues very well, especially when the play goes away from him. Where Jones was weakest, IMO, is in deep coverage, so if Aikens (originally recruited to Illinois as a FS) can play more of a high safety look, it could erase some of the negative aspects of not having Delmas as you're allowing Jones to do more of what he's best at. We saw this against the Bears last week.

Bpk, Boik14, LI phinfan and 4 others like this.
  6. ckparrothead

ckparrothead Draft Forum Moderator Luxury Box

Dec 1, 2007
    I don't think one practice should be used to pass judgment on something like this.

However, I would not have a lot of faith in Walt Aiken for other reasons. Nor would I feel very good about some of the others on roster.

This is why I wanted to sign Dwight Lowery in free agency. He would be able to help right about now. Versatile veteran, just like Delmas himself.

RoninFin4 likes this.
  7. Unlucky 13

Unlucky 13 Team Raheem Club Member

Apr 24, 2012
    Troy, Virginia
    Speaking of Chris Cleamons, I wonder if he might be brought back if Zona cuts him? He's played in the system and with Jones. A band-aid, but we need something back there if the younger players aren't up to it.

8. ckparrothead

Dec 1, 2007
    He's easy to dismiss but try not to count out Jordan Kovacs.

He's the ultimate try-hard/do-everything-right guy that coaches adore. A true modern day Rudy. His dad was a Michigan walk-on under Bo Schembechler so his dream was always to play at Michigan, but when he came out of high school he had zero scholarship offers, not even to D2/D3 schools. His best offers were to try and walk-on at Hillsdale or Toledo. He decided to go to Michigan to try and make his dream come true playing for them. Michigan actually holds student body tryouts where anyone in the student body can try and walk-on. He attended the first of these before fall camp but was knocked out during the physical because he inadvertently gave an unfavorable answer about whether he still experiences pain every now and then in a knee he once had surgery on. He rehabbed the knee some more, tried again in January after the 2008 season was done, and this time made it. By September 12th, 2009 he was already starting through a combination of fighting his way up the depth chart and some injury luck. He never relinquished the job and became the team MVP in 2012.

This is a 5'11" & 205 lbs white guy with 4.62 speed by the way. So let's not get carried away thinking he's actually going to play well. I've just always speculated based on a combination of his background story and his tape that he'd be the kind of player coaches keep finding a way to keep around. The thing that stood out about his tape was how often he found the ball, not necessarily to pick it off or anything like that, but how often he was either in on the tackle or right near it. That's not good enough of course, but it shows he's a hustler with good instincts. The down side is, I've seen him really blow it when he's challenged, either because he over pursues the ball carrier or because he gets physically overwhelmed at the point of the catch. I'm not sure how much I could trust the guy if he's the last one in position to do anything about a guy in the open field that either has the ball in his hands already or is looking to catch it.

9. FinNasty

FinNasty Alabama don’t want this... Staff Member Club Member

Dec 1, 2007
    Kovacs is my brothers favorite player b/c he's a "normal person's" size lol

10. Unlucky 13

Apr 24, 2012
    Troy, Virginia
    He's bigger than a lot of CBs, actually. (though small compared to some other safetys)

11. FinNasty

FinNasty Alabama don’t want this... Staff Member Club Member

Dec 1, 2007
    There may be some "little white boy" stuff playing a role there too. Basically, that he doesn't look like a football player when standing on the sideline with the rest of the players, lol. Looks like an equipment manager that snuck into some pads, lol.

padre31 likes this.
  12. muskrat21

muskrat21 Well-Known Member

May 11, 2014
    guys, we are talking about practice here... practice...

PhinFan1968 likes this.
  13. byroan

byroan Giggity Staff Member Administrator Luxury Box

Nov 25, 2007
    NC
    I'm confused because I was there and didn't see anything that would say he isn't ready. He had a few pass deflections. I don't think he's as good of a hitter as Delmas.He is running with the first team. Michael Thomas with the second. I missed the Ginn TD. Maybe he was responsible for that ? Either way that's just one play.

Someone that isn't ready? Sammy Seamster. Guy is burnt toast.

Bpk and Boik14 like this.
  14. Piston Honda

Piston Honda Well-Known Member

Sep 23, 2014
    If Aikens or Thomas can provide what Chris Clemons brought to the table or something close to it the D will be fine. My concern is depth, and that's accross the board pretty much. Outside of WR there's not much room for long term absences.

15. Piston Honda

Piston Honda Well-Known Member

Sep 23, 2014
    Well, he better be ready.

For life after football.

16. 77FinFan

77FinFan Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Mar 10, 2013
    Buckeye Land
    Kam Chanceller. :shifty:

17. Unlucky 13

Apr 24, 2012
    Troy, Virginia
    LOL, I hope that Chancellor never plays again with the stunt that he's pulling. What total BS. THREE years left on a BIG contract, and he's whining for more when he knows his team is up against the cap. I hate players who do that.

18. P h i N s A N i T y

P h i N s A N i T y My Porpoise in Life

Apr 19, 2012
    Treasure Coast, FL
    Someone looked extra focused this morning....

[​IMG]

I love our safety depth.

Tidbits from 0mor's latest piece:

http://www.sun-sentinel.com/sports/...ns-panthers-practice-0821-20150820-story.html

19. Paul 13

Paul 13 Chaotic Neutral & Unstable Genius Staff Member

Dec 3, 2007
    Omar said Aikens was trailing on the long TD to Ginn... perhaps in the OP's mind, that is enough? Nyext!

20. Dol-Fan Dupree

Dol-Fan Dupree Tank? Who is Tank? I am Guy Incognito.

Dec 11, 2007
    Give that man his money!

21. PhinFan1968

PhinFan1968 To 2020, and BEYOND! Club Member

[​IMG]

22. Alex13

Alex13 Tua Time !!! Club Member

Dec 21, 2007
    Berlin,Germany
    are you surprised ? people started to push panic buttons after 2 practices with our oline

23. Alex13

Alex13 Tua Time !!! Club Member

Dec 21, 2007
    Berlin,Germany
    yeah a lot of these seattle players are like this, wilson, bennett was crying about his salary too, i lost a lot of respect for them this offseason

24. Unlucky 13

Apr 24, 2012
    Troy, Virginia
    I really, really wish that there was a rule that no player could have his deal redone until the offseason prior to the final one in his contract. If you don't want to sign a long term deal, then don't. Sign a two year contract every time. But if you ink a five year contract, then the expectation is that you're getting paid for what's expected of you in those five years. I am on the team's side 100% of the time on this, even our division rivals. And yes, I know that the team can cut the player at any point. Good.

25. cbrad

cbrad .

Dec 21, 2014
    Worst (best) example of this was Latrell Sprewell. He literally said "I got my family to feed" when he whined about the $14.6 million he was due to make the following year and wanted a contract extension.

Actually, the entire quote is much worse:

"Why would I want to help them win a title? They're not doing anything for me. I'm at risk. I have a lot of risk here. I got my family to feed."

Thing is.. there are probably a lot of pro athletes like that, except they don't go public with their sentiments like he did.

MrClean, mi2cents and Unlucky 13 like this.
  26. ckparrothead

Dec 1, 2007
    I've met Kam Chancellor. I've spoken with him. He's a really nice, good dude. Very down to earth.

He's underpaid. Plain and simple. And at that position you don't have very long to get what you're worth, he waits three years and he wings get paid because he's "too old".

Never hold it against the players trying to get what they're worth. Next time the team wants to cut a guy that still has three years left on his contract, I hope I hear all this same grousing and demanding that the team honor the contract.

27. ckparrothead

Dec 1, 2007
    IMO, this is BS. Contracts in the NFL are only binding to the player, not the team. The team can terminate any time. The player cant. This is a clearly unequal situation but when the player does try to use whatever leverage he is still afforded by this unequal situation simply to get paid what he is worth, he is demonized, and people suggest rules that make for an even MORE unequal situation.

How about this. Next owners meeting, you can have your rule about contracts not being able to be re-done until a year before expiration, and in return all contracts become guaranteed like they are in baseball and basketball. Deal?

Boik14 likes this.
  28. padre31

padre31 Premium Member Luxury Box

Nov 22, 2007
    inching to 100k posts
    I think Fans should keep in mind, from the players pov, they have MAYBE 3 contracts, more like 2 contracts to make their $$$.

We all hated Delmas being injured..who will replace him etc...the business pov is where will he land another deal due to being injury prone?

In the league, it is all about upfront money..things can change that quickly

29. Fineas

Jan 5, 2008
    Of course, the team's right to terminate the contract is in the contract so the termination is in full compliance with the contract. What the player gets "in return" for the team's right to terminate is upfront money, usually in the form of a signing bonus. A lot of money. Often tens of millions of dollars that the player gets and keeps forever whether he gets hurt in his first practice or simply sucks. So yeah, when the player takes that big chunk of money upfront in exchange for lower money down the road and then holds out down the road when he is getting the lower money he bargained for and agreed to he deserves the criticism.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

77FinFan likes this.
  30. Unlucky 13

Apr 24, 2012
    Troy, Virginia
    Nope, I don't want it to be even or equal. I want teams to have 100% of the power, personally. I think that free agency is fair the way that it is, but that's about all of the power or freedom that players need or should have. Obviously, others take a different view.

31. ckparrothead

Dec 1, 2007
    So the owners should have all of the power and money as opposed to the players who actually work for a living and risk their health every day?

Yeah that makes sense.

Boik14 likes this.
  32. Deerless Dice

Deerless Dice Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Oct 30, 2013
    what's scary is Reshad Jones has nearly the same contract that Chancellor does. Hopefully he won't be holding out when his guaranteed money is all gone next year.

33. byroan

byroan Giggity Staff Member Administrator Luxury Box

Nov 25, 2007
    NC
    Looks like Aikens was trying to make a tackle at the end.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

34. Boik14

Boik14 Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Nov 28, 2007
    New York
    Do you hate teams that do that as well? Just sayin....average career length is 4 years...gotta get while the getting is good. Teams are the first to slash a players salary if he underperformed for 5 minutes.

35. Boik14

Nov 28, 2007
    New York
    If Jones was as good as Chancellor we wouldn't have people asking for Chancellor in this thread lol. And I think Jones is a good player but Chancellor is a top 75 player in the league.

36. Fineas

Jan 5, 2008
    I do think Jones is as good as Chancellor. His metrics have generally been better and PFF has rated Jones higher last year and in 2 of the last 3 years.

37. Fineas

Jan 5, 2008
    Then don't sign a long-term deal after 3 years in the league, or if you do, insist on a big signing bonus and huge salaries when you actually are a FA or have a deal expiring. He knew what he was doing when he signed it and now he should live with his decision.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

38. Dol-Fan Dupree

Dol-Fan Dupree Tank? Who is Tank? I am Guy Incognito.

Dec 11, 2007
    Why should they sign him when they know he is going to hold out after 3 years?

39. Unlucky 13

Apr 24, 2012
    Troy, Virginia
    No, as I said in my previous post I support the teams, all the teams, even our most bitter rivals, 100%. The player who signs the deal gets his signing bonus money. Its his, whether the team cuts him the next season or he plays out the entire deal. I feel zero sympathy. If a player puts his name on the contract, then I expect him to do his best to fufill it to the best of his ability. If something happens along the way that makes him hate the team and not want to resign with them after the contract is over, I understand that and thats fair.

I am a fan of the Dolphins and the NFL. I root for the players in our uniform while they wear it, and I wish them zero ill will (generally) in life outside of football, but I don't watch the game for the players. They're all temporary.

40. Boik14

Nov 28, 2007
    New York
    But when the team puts their name on the contract thats ok to cut him. This is amazingly one sided. I agree I watch for the game and the players are temporary but the rest of this is such hypocrisy.

Do some simple math...
    Average career length: 4 years (Actually 3.2 years but we can round up)
    Rookie contract length: 4 years (3 for UDFA's)
    So its basically a 50/50 proposition that a player outlives their first contract, gets a 2nd contract and actually gets big money. That a player wants to rip that up when teams are the first to ask them to reduce those salaries on a down year or an injured year, is only common sense. The window is small to earn so they have to get while teh getting is good.

Now, that doesnt necessarily equate to winning. The Pats only had 20 players on their entire roster last year earning more then 1M. This was a good read: http://www.ibtimes.com/nfl-salaries-after-nfl-draft-rookies-get-rich-try-not-go-broke-1935346

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.