1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

A13OVEAVERAGE's 2015 Training Camp Practice #7 Thoughts

Discussion in 'Miami Dolphins Forum' started by A13OVEAVERAGE, Aug 6, 2015.

1. A13OVEAVERAGE

A13OVEAVERAGE Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Aug 13, 2013
    Frostproof, FL
    Unfortunately this will be my last training camp write up of the season, with work and settling into living in Florida now today was the only day left I could make it to a practice.. but I have thought about posting my thoughts of preseason and regular season games if people are interested. I will return to training camp again next year, so don't worry. With that being said my focus today was on the linebacker core, but I'm gonna include a little bit of everything. Also the team was not in full pads and multiple players sat out of practice, today was mainly an install day so keep that in mind.

Top Performer: Rishard Matthews #18

Matthews had another consistent day showing up time after time all over the field including one deep reception along the right sideline that would've resulted in a TD. He is locked in at the number 5 spot out of the WRs, no question about it. He got a lot of playing time today with Jennings, Parker, and Stills sitting out (Juice also caught leg cramps towards the end of practice, it was a scorcher today). You can really see that Tannehill has confidence in him and they have a strong rapport, including working out together this offseason on their own time along with Landry. Rishard runs clean routes and he catches the ball very well with his hands. He also has good field awareness and sideline discipline. Sometimes he gets a bad rap for speaking before he thinks, but he's a good kid and a good wide receiver.

Honorable mentions: Brent Grimes (1st interception off of a tip), Anthony Johnson (sack during the 2 minute drill), and Bobby McCain (an interception for a would be TD)

A Welcomed Sight: Branden Albert #71

Albert was at practice actually participating in drills today! He has been taking part in walkthroughs but to see him actually hitting and blocking even at half speed is HUGE. He worked with his fellow offensive lineman during their individual drills mainly on pass pro and blocking assignments. He's vital to our offensive line having a productive season, so he just needs to keep easing his way into the flow while avoiding any setbacks. Branden still has a limp, but it's improving and seeing him jog from drill to drill is very positive.

Linebacker Focus:

Koa Misi #55 sat out of practice, but everyone should know what to expect out of him. He's solid and a hard nose tackler. Kelvin Sheppard #52 has a chance to become a starter, the coaching staff seems to like and trust him. He makes reads pretty quickly and has picked up the defense fast. He needs to continue working on his coverage skills, that is his main issue right now. I think when people talk about a dominant left side of the defense with Suh, Wake, and Grimes they are forgetting that Jelani Jenkins #53 is over there as well. He's a strong tackler (leading the team last season), has tremendous sideline to sideline speed, and is good in coverage. He is on the rise and now playing behind Suh, he'll continue to make a name for himself. Another player who I think is ready to breakout this season is Chris McCain #58. His pass rushing skills are special, that's where he shines. He's been used at LB along with DE. He is what we thought we were gonna get from a certain first round pick who I'm not naming. He's a little awkward when running and has had some struggles in coverage but his length helps to mask that (6'5). He's had a couple pass breakups and a batted ball at the line of scrimmage during the practices I've attended. Also you can never have enough guys on your team who play with passion and fire, along with being so involved with the fans. Jordan Tripp #57 has been impressive, you can see the growth from last year physically as well as fundamentally. He's really bulked up while remaining cut at 6'3. What stands out the most to me is when he's out there he calls the plays for the entire defense and also his ability to get off blocks now. He makes reads fast and hits his gaps hard, he's another player on the rise. Spencer Paysinger has been just another guy, I haven't seen anything that stood out from him.

Now to the UDFAs.. Zach Vigil #49 has been the best. He's going to make the 53 man roster. He's good in coverage, has speed, and during drills tackles well. When the 2nd and 3rd string guys are on the field you notice him. He was in with the twos next to Tripp today and did a good job all around. Mike Hull #45 is quick, but looks really undersized. He struggled to make the correct reads in coverage and during run plays at times today. Jeff Luc #48 is a load, there's speed and power there but it doesn't show up consistently. There's too many mental errors and also arguing with the coaches is not a good look. Neville Hewitt #46 hasn't done enough to standout among his peers, I think he's too far down the list. Honestly other than Vigil I don't see any of the other three making the 53 man roster unless they can surpass someone on special teams.

Cornerback and Safety Focus:

Brent Grimes #21 is the most athletic guy on the entire team, I don't care how old he is getting. Optimus Grimes is ELITE, enough said. Brice McCain #24 is challenging Taylor for the number 2 spot, but he's also very good in the slot. He's feisty and will hit you, he talks trash seemingly nonstop (the matchup against Landry has been very entertaining), and he stays right in the receivers hip pocket. Jamar Taylor #22 is a physical corner who has been practicing much better. He wants to get into the receiver, he wants to make a hit on the RB. He's playing confident or with "swag" (stupid f****** word, I know). Bobby McCain #28 is special, he had another interception today that would've been a pick six. He's fluid, there's no wasted movement there. He's got fight in him, he's quick, and he's a ball hawk. Will Davis #29 has been disappointing, he takes too many chances and more times than not ends up getting burned. And I mean embarrassingly burned. Also has seemed to be somewhat injury prone. Tony Lippett #36 has the height and length we dream about in a corner and he's played very well at times, but it's his technique that is holding him back. That will improve over time though.

Reshad Jones #20 has been a beast in the run and pass game. Playing in the box, he's like having an extra linebacker. He's breaking on balls and making plays consistently in coverage as well, broke up multiple passes to Jordan Cameron and Dion Sims in the red zone and the other day tipped a pass that led to a Misi interception. Louis Delmas #25 rested today.. but I think he brings more to the team than just his play on the field. He makes all the calls for the secondary, alignments and coverages. And just his personality is a boost to the team moral. He's always smiling and always dancing. Walt Aikens #35 is up and coming, he's better in coverage and has been breaking on passes more. He still has room to improve but he's getting there. Michael Thomas #31 is solid and can play safety or in the slot. He's also a big piece in the special team game. Like Thomas, Jordan Kovacs #44 plays a big part on special teams. He plays with a lot of heart every time he's out there. Cedric Thompson #41 hasn't done much to stand out above anyone else, but also hasn't given up much of anything either.

My Biggest Concern: The Kicking Game

Caleb Sturgis #9 is struggling and I don't mean just by missing field goals. He does not have the same leg power that he did when he was drafted. Not only is his accuracy shaky, but the ball is barely making it to the uprights on a lot of his attempts. Andrew Franks #3 isn't doing much better. The difference between them is one has more power, which is Franks, but both are having issues with accuracy.. Andrew more so. Brandon Fields #2 seems to be back to his normal self after I saw him struggling somewhat this time last week. He's showed good range, hang time, and placement with his punts. John Denney #92 is a master of his craft, there's absolutely no worries there for the old guy.

This really has me worried though, not only does it take potential points off the board but it also affects kickoffs and possibly extra points with the new rules in place.

Final Thoughts:

Today was the calm before the storm, the scrimmage should be a real battle. The heat the last couple of days has been pretty draining on the players so it's good they could have a somewhat more relaxed practice today and then the scrimmage is at night. Like a lot of the players, this team as a whole is up and coming. We're gonna turn some heads this year I have no doubt. I just want to thank everyone for the love and support every time I post one of these. Hopefully I can work my way up to earning the camp reporter badge. Anyways thanks for reading, FINS UP!

Day 1: http://www.thephins.com/forums/show...GE-s-First-Day-of-Training-Camp-2015-Thoughts
    Practice #6: http://www.thephins.com/forums/show...RAGE-s-2015-Training-Camp-Practice-6-Thoughts

2. PhinFan1968

PhinFan1968 To 2020, and BEYOND! Club Member

I severely dislike any rule that increases the kickers importance to the W/L column.

EverFin and Fin4Ever like this.
  3. Fin4Ever

Fin4Ever Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Aug 26, 2014
    Vero Beach, FL
    Nice job again CJ, We have been hearing good things about Luc....maybe today he was off? He does not need to argue with the coaches though....writing before or after games is cool.. Keith Jackson also does that some as well as Ronin...you oughta talk to those guys and split it up or whatever y'all come up with....for me, the more the merrier......Why Don't you help us out in the all time draft in Club....We need someone to take over a team and you would fit in nicely..We can all help you at first..you also will learn a lot more about the players that have been a big part of the history of the game...Thanks again for another very nice writeup.:up:

Pretty Please.......With a Miami Dolphins Super Bowl Victory on top....:yes:

NCPhin likes this.
  4. PhinFan1968

PhinFan1968 To 2020, and BEYOND! Club Member

Thanks for the great post/write-up CJ.

A13OVEAVERAGE and Fin4Ever like this.
  5. NCPhin

NCPhin New Member

Have throughly enjoyed your write ups the past few days, awesome job!

A13OVEAVERAGE and Fin4Ever like this.
  6. smahtaz

smahtaz Pimpin Ain't Easy

I severely dislike getting rid of DC$.

Fin4Ever likes this.
  7. Killer Bees

Killer Bees Bringin' the Ruckus

Aug 14, 2011
    Great post, really appreciate the insight on what we can't get any where else. I am supposed to be attending a season ticket holders only training camp practice on August 15th but not sure I am going to make it. We get to tour the training facility as well which I am really excited for if I go. I hope to also make a little write up like this if I can. Great job dude.

Bpk, Fin4Ever and A13OVEAVERAGE like this.
  8. Fin4Ever

Fin4Ever Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Aug 26, 2014
    Vero Beach, FL
    I don't remember seeing you on here..looks like you joined 1 month after I did....this is my Anniversary month here at the Phins....anyways, I wanted to welcome you to the site...even if I am 11 months behind...Lol.:hi5:

9. A13OVEAVERAGE

Aug 13, 2013
    Frostproof, FL
    You should, I never really wrote much or posted up until recently. I hope that a lot of us from around here start putting more into the forum for the people who can't experience it and then it's neat hearing things from different people's perspective.

Hiruma78, Puka-head and Fin4Ever like this.
  10. Fin Fan In Cali

Fin Fan In Cali Dolphin fan since 1970 Luxury Box

Nov 22, 2007
    So. Cal
    Thanks for the write up bro!

Fin4Ever and A13OVEAVERAGE like this.
  11. Killer Bees

Killer Bees Bringin' the Ruckus

Aug 14, 2011
    I agree, its great for the site. I'm pretty sure it was Finasty who had some great write ups from when he went to camp. If I remember correctly he would hide up on the roof of the parking garage and take notes when the fans weren't allowed to attend haha. We got the best insight on which players were in and out of shape and how amazing cams glutes were the year DJ went to camp lol

mbsinmisc and Fin4Ever like this.
  12. 77FinFan

77FinFan Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Mar 10, 2013
    Buckeye Land
    Beautiful. :up:

A13OVEAVERAGE likes this.
  13. Bpk

Bpk Premium Member Luxury Box

I thought Ozzy used to do one too

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

14. Puka-head

Puka-head My2nd Fav team:___vs Jets Club Member

Nov 25, 2007
    Slightly left of center
    If you don't have the Camp Reporter Badge yet perhaps it's pitchfork time! What the bloody hell ya waitin for MODs for cryin out loud?!?!

$$$PAY THE MAN$$$

15. MrClean

MrClean Inglourious Basterd Club Member

Thank for the entire write up, but especially your feedback on the UDFA LBs. I've liked Vigil the best of the bunch from the get go, based on his college tape, compared to what I saw of the others. Glad to read that your eyes see him as the most likely of those four to make the 53.

Puka-head, Fin4Ever and A13OVEAVERAGE like this.
  16. VManis

VManis Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Nov 10, 2010
    Great write up, I really appreciate it.

Its good to hear that Albert was out there even in a limited capacity. For the record, according to BA he had a limp before the injury.

17. gandalfin

gandalfin Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Dec 10, 2007
    Kissimmee, Florida
    "but I have thought about posting my thoughts of preseason and regular season games if people are interested."

I think we are all interested, I know I am. You have already done so much to elevate this site, and it is greatly appreciated. If there was an award for "best new poster" you would win hands down. Great job!

Good to hear about Matthews, I think his time may have finally come. In 2013 he had that 200 yard plus game against TB, and then inexplicably disappeared. Hopefully he just needed some additional seasoning and experience and he has that now.

Fin4Ever and A13OVEAVERAGE like this.
  18. gandalfin

gandalfin Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Dec 10, 2007
    Kissimmee, Florida
    I stand corrected, 11 catches, 120 yards and 2 TD's for Matthews that night.

Fin4Ever likes this.
  19. A13OVEAVERAGE

Aug 13, 2013
    Frostproof, FL
    Thanks for the support! I really do appreciate it and I'm glad I can contribute something to the forum.

What I was thinking was maybe doing like a player profile/player focus, having someone different each week throughout the season. Maybe have a poll at the end of every thread from the previous week for people to vote who they would want to see the next week.

I like Matthews, he's talented. I don't see him making the field as a starter with who we have but my hope would be the coaches get him in more during games to keep the other guys fresh when they need a blow and down the stretch.

20. djphinfan

djphinfan Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Dec 20, 2007
    Coyle talked about two Vigil and Luc..called Lcu the ''earth shaker'' talked about his body,' 255 lbs 10 %body fat, very powerful man''

I think luc may take more time to learn the position but still has the most upside..both probably make the team.

Bpk likes this.
  21. A13OVEAVERAGE

Aug 13, 2013
    Frostproof, FL
    He's gonna need to do something on special teams I think, luckily for him it's early on so he has plenty of time. One thing he needs to learn is to shut his mouth though.. one of the coaches was getting on to him during LB drills yesterday and instead of just taking it and moving on to the next play, he tried to put the blame on someone else and was running his mouth. The coach didn't appreciate that so they yelled at him some more. Coaches don't want to hear excuses, say yes sir and move to the next play especially since he's an undrafted rookie. He is a brick wall though, thick.. looks like a boulder with a helmet on it. He showed good tackling form as well. I hope he shows us something since we heard he was a 5 star recruit out of high school. Vigil is still leading the group, but Luc appears to be ahead of Hull and Hewitt.

We kept 8 linebackers last year, so if we do the same he has a decent chance.. but if we only keep 7, it's gonna come down to either Vigil, Paysinger, or Luc for the last two spots. With all that being said if Hull or Hewitt shine on special teams then it's anybody's ball game.

MrClean, Fin4Ever and djphinfan like this.
  22. Brasfin

Brasfin Well-Known Member

Apr 27, 2013
    Brazil
    This seems like a red flag to me, especially with this coaching staff. If he can't follow orders and accept blame when he's an undrafted rookie, imagine when/if he's on the team for a longer time. This will definitely be something the coaches consider when deciding who stays and who goes.

Fin4Ever likes this.
  23. A13OVEAVERAGE

Aug 13, 2013
    Frostproof, FL
    I wouldn't really call it a red flag, you have to see if it is something that continues to happen. I would assume most rookies need time to fully mature.. but I do agree about this coaching staff, they want players who will fall in line and be dependable/accountable. I'm sure Misi, Sheppard, and Jenkins will be in his ear if he falls out of line, the team is very close knit.

24. Puka-head

Puka-head My2nd Fav team:___vs Jets Club Member

Nov 25, 2007
    Slightly left of center
    Hey there big boy, is that a sexy new badge your wearing or are you just happy to see me? :wink2:

The best things in life are the ones you earn.

25. A13OVEAVERAGE

Aug 13, 2013
    Frostproof, FL
    My schedule at work changed (new position) so I will be able to make it to one more training camp practice on August 16th and the 3rd preseason game on August 29th against the Falcons (first at home).. I'll have a write up the night of the 16th for that practice, then I'll have pictures to share from the game of the new stadium and all. I'm definitely in love with living down here!

Like before if there's anything or anyone specific you'd like me to keep an eye on during that practice or at the game let me know below.

rafael and Fin4Ever like this.