1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Dolphins, Bill Lazor grapple with wealth of wide receivers

Discussion in 'Miami Dolphins Forum' started by dolfan7171, Aug 4, 2015.

1. dolfan7171

dolfan7171 Well-Known Member

Jun 12, 2009
    Arizona
    http://www.miamiherald.com/sports/nfl/miami-dolphins/article29951190.html

MikeHoncho and Fin4Ever like this.
  2. jdang307

jdang307 Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Nov 29, 2007
    San Diego
    would you say, we have a plethora of wide receivers?

[​IMG]

77FinFan and Ohio Fanatic like this.
  3. dolfan7171

Jun 12, 2009
    Arizona
    Yes I do. Too many to be exact and all of them for the most part is playing well right now. This makes things difficult for Lazor because he has to get his 5 or 6 receivers and then decide who starts where. Hate to be him right now. He has a tough job ahead of him. So much more talent on this team in comparison to last year.

4. jdang307

jdang307 Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Nov 29, 2007
    San Diego
    You've written off Parker for at least 5-6 games. You have Jennings and Stills outside, Landry in the slot. I wouldn't say I'd hate to be Lazor. It's a great group to start with and not a lot of questions, IMO of where to start them. Matthews is the one to be upset at first.

dolfan7171 likes this.
  5. dolfan7171

Jun 12, 2009
    Arizona
    What I mean is that I don't want to be the one who has to let go of someone just to fit a certain number of receivers to be on the team. Personally I want Parker, Stills, Landry, Jennings, and Matthews but not necessarily in that order. But there may be someone out there who is really good who is going to get the rough end of the stick. Know what I mean?

6. PhinFan1968

PhinFan1968 To 2020, and BEYOND! Club Member

I agree with those 5, most certainly, I think most if not all do.

However...if DP is 6 weeks out on PUP, I'd like to see Preston get a shot to see what he can do in the games...he's been solid, humble, and making tons of plays so far, really looking forward to watching him in the PS games. Never know, maybe he could be THAT good and either secure a spot or become decent trade value.

Fin4Ever likes this.
  7. Piston Honda

Piston Honda Well-Known Member

Sep 23, 2014
    Yeah, the talent is there. But. What's so exciting about this group is how versatile they are. These guys can literally attack any coverage or area on the field and they can do it multiple ways.

Defenses won't be able to just prepare for Mike Wallace deep, Hartline on slants or stop routes, Landry working short zones. They'll have to be ready for anything on any play, a tremendous asset for the play caller. Any thing the opposing D wants to call, press man, Cover 2, Quarters, whatever, Lazor has the tools to deal with it. The only real concern is how to keep everyone involved and Lazor is already speaking to that. Having a guy like Jennings to lead the group should help there. If the run game is as good as it was last year (and more consistent) this offense is going to be a nightmare for defenses.

8. CaribPhin

CaribPhin Guest

The group should be, IMO:

Jennings
    Landry
    Stills
    Matthews
    Parker
    Random sixth guy, possibly Preston if his size shows up against live opponents.

I think Byrd and Streeter are the only other guys you look at for that fifth spot but I don't expect much from them. If Parker ends up on the PUP or something, one of them gets the chance to show off more to start the season. Otherwise, I don't see anything else shaking out for anyone else.

EDIT: We picked up Kevin Cone off waivers, which to me is crazy if you believe a receiver cut from CLE is going to be snatched up by someone else. That's a waste of a waiver reset IMO. I guess the staff sees something in him that the dang Browns couldn't. He may have an inside track in that case.

9. Pandarilla

Pandarilla Purist Emeritus

Sep 10, 2009
    Boone, NC
    It's like having 5 girlfriends...that can all run a full route tree.

10. djphinfan

djphinfan Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Dec 20, 2007
    Matthews is ballin this year making this even more interesting he really has a lot of skill..so strong, such great hands..watch out kenny stills.

Puka-head likes this.
  11. jw3102

jw3102 season ticket holder

Sep 4, 2010
    Maui, Hawaii
    Perhaps they should trade some of this treasure trove of WR talent for some starting guards . It really doesn't matter how many talented WR's a team has if the QB doesn't have he time to drop back and hit these WR's with passes.

I think Lazor and Philbin are going to have much more difficulty finding five quality offensive linemen then they are going to have figuring out who should start at WR and who should be receivers 3-5 on the roster.

Pandarilla likes this.
  12. Sceeto

Sceeto Well-Known Member

Oct 13, 2008
    New York
    Good problem to have.

13. Colmax

Colmax Well-Known Member

Dec 12, 2007
    One or two of these guys are/could be ST players. If you have a big/fast fella who is willing to lay down the pipe, I see nothing wrong with that. Specifically, Cone from waivers played STs. He may be, for example, a guy who can be stashed on STs who can come in later in the year and score in a matchup nightmare in the Red Zone when teams fall asleep. It does happen.

Lazor is exactly right, he's looking for match ups. A guy doesn't have to be an every down player to create a mismatch at some point in the season. It doesn't have to be game one. It could be in week 17. That mismatch could lead to points, which ultimately, could lead to a win. Also, injuries are a real thing in the NFL, and Miami really lost last year by not having someone behind Moreno. Leave no stone unturned. Bring 'em all in.

Puka-head likes this.
  14. Ohio Fanatic

Ohio Fanatic Twuaddle or bust Club Member

Nov 26, 2007
    Concord, MA
    Si, El Guapo.

15. PhinFan1968

PhinFan1968 To 2020, and BEYOND! Club Member

Of course they are...but that's covered in another thread.

16. MikeHoncho

MikeHoncho -=| Censored |=-

Nov 13, 2009
  17. dolfan7171

Jun 12, 2009
    Arizona
    That's fair. Preston has been playing very well so far. I can see that happening. Good post.

18. Alex13

Alex13 Tua Time !!! Club Member

Dec 21, 2007
    Berlin,Germany
    bill lazor is one of the most honest and fun guys to listen to, i wish he would stay at the podium every day instead of philbin, so refreshing

19. VanDolPhan

VanDolPhan Club member Club Member

Nov 26, 2007
    Hamilton, Ontario Canada
    Actually it will be nice to maybe be in that position to flip a guy in the preseason games period for draft picks.

20. Puka-head

Puka-head My2nd Fav team:___vs Jets Club Member

Nov 25, 2007
    Slightly left of center
    I don't think he threatens Stills roster spot at all. They are different talents. But I'm a big fan of Matthews and hope he gets a shot.

21. Puka-head

Nov 25, 2007
    Slightly left of center
    That's Matthews.

22. Puka-head

Nov 25, 2007
    Slightly left of center
    I guess that works for some guys. I look for other qualifications in my "girlfriends" but hey, whatever turns you on brah. Love is Love is Love in all its forms. And five at once...no thanks, tooo much work :no: