1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Second-year Miami Dolphins receiver Jarvis Landry putting in the work because, ‘I wan

Discussion in 'Miami Dolphins Forum' started by dolfan7171, Aug 2, 2015.

1. dolfan7171

dolfan7171 Well-Known Member

Jun 12, 2009
    Arizona
    Larry Little and 77FinFan like this.
  2. Fin Fan In Cali

Fin Fan In Cali Dolphin fan since 1970 Luxury Box

Nov 22, 2007
    So. Cal
    Second-year Miami Dolphins receiver Jarvis Landry putting in the work because...

The will to succeed along with competition will push you to become better.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

dolfan7171 likes this.
  3. dolfan7171

Jun 12, 2009
    Arizona
    That is true. Plus he is always trying to catch something, whether it is on purpose or just for fun to be placed on YouTube. Not to mention that he works out with Beckham. You have to love his work ethic. If I am right he has been spending at least 30 minutes after practice running routes and catches with Tannehill just to get the trust factor going there.

4. djphinfan

djphinfan Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Dec 20, 2007
    I think there might be this stigma that he's carrying with him that he has a limited ceiling because of his lack of long speed...Im not sure that the case, I think the ceiling can still be that of a great player, not good, but great...when your smart and you anticipate at an elite level your talking about getting head starts when it comes to space..this can take the place of speed..Jerry wasn't a speedster, but he never got caught because of the head start.

dolfan7171 and adamprez2003 like this.
  5. djphinfan

Dec 20, 2007
    i think he could be the new type of #1 receiver..

PhinFan1968 and dolfan7171 like this.
  6. adamprez2003

adamprez2003 Senior Member

Nov 27, 2007
    new york ciity
    i think he will be our best receiver this season and probably going forward. the way to compensate for lack of speed is by perfecting your breaks or cuts. i think landry has the will and desire to push himself constantly and therefore will perfect everything that is in his control. once he does that he will be great imo

dolfan7171 likes this.
  7. dolfan7171

Jun 12, 2009
    Arizona
    This may explain him improving his speed as much as he did. Perhaps to improve his head start time. You know that quick take off to get to top speed as quickly as possible.

8. djphinfan

Dec 20, 2007
    absolutely, and what Prez said, being smart enough to how to sharpen cuts and eliminating missteps is a way to get tyo point b faster without doing it thru speed...and beyond that, just taking away speed from the equation he has elite receiver talent...

dolfan7171 likes this.
  9. Limbo

Limbo Mad Stillz

Mar 21, 2013
    I like Landry a lot, but let's not get carried away pumping up a guy who has one decent season under his belt. Unless #1 receivers start being graded in the dink-and-dunk category.

He was almost dead last in yards per catch last season in the NFL, and that's including backs and tight ends. He never had a 100 yard game, let alone several. Until he starts catching the ball further down the field and making higher-impact plays, he's not a #1 by many definitions. This is why the 'stigma' you mentioned hasn't gone away. He tested slow and his rookie numbers suggest the same.

We can all agree he had a nice second half of the season. Caught 54 balls for 457 yards. But expand that to 16 games and he's not even at 1000 yards receiving. A guy like that just isn't having a huge impact on an offense, especially one that's starved for big plays. People like to call him efficient because of a high catch percentage; to me, if your routes are that close to the LOS, you better catch the ball at that high clip.

Question then is why his yardage efficiency numbers were so astonishingly low for a WR who took as many snaps as he did. Personally, I blame Tannehill and Lazor moreso than Landry's lack of speed. But until he becomes more productive on a per-catch basis, people are going to wonder if he's athletic enough to be a gamechanger.

gunn34, cbrad and 77FinFan like this.
  10. djphinfan

Dec 20, 2007
    yeah I think thats a fair POV about the term #1 receiver..Im just not sure if lesser reps at a higher ypc is better than more cathes at a lower one..

Eddleman was bradys #1, barely cracked 1000 yards, and they won the superbowl.

Pandarilla and dolfan7171 like this.
  11. 77FinFan

77FinFan Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Mar 10, 2013
    Buckeye Land
    I'm not sure he's our #1. Well, in my mind at least I'm not sure.

12. LBsFinest

LBsFinest Banned

Jul 24, 2012
    Yea the Landry love is getting a little out of hand at this point....he's like the 7th best receiver from his draft class.

13. djphinfan

Dec 20, 2007
    your not sure he's gonna be the number one option in this offense?not sure he will have the most catches and attempts?

14. djphinfan

Dec 20, 2007
    which 6?

15. Stitches

Stitches ThePhin's Biggest Killjoy Luxury Box

Nov 23, 2007
    Katy, TX
    Mike Evans
    Odell Beckham
    Matthews from Philly
    WR from New Orleans
    Kelvin Benjamin
    Sammy Watkins

Just my guess as to the 6 being referred to, but he may also have the Steelers rookie, Colts rookie, GB rookie, or Allen Robinson (apologies to those whose name is escaping me right now).

16. djphinfan

Dec 20, 2007
    half of those I wouldn't take over landry but thats jmo, not after what were seeing in terms of overall value.

17. Limbo

Limbo Mad Stillz

Mar 21, 2013
    Edelman is not the number 1 option in their passing game. He also averaged a yard more per catch, fwiw. Either way, the Pats offense is unique and has long been an exception to the rule when looking at these kinds of numbers.

It sounds like you want Landry to be the focal point of this offense, the guy defenses have to key on. I'm just saying that this offense isn't going places if its featured player is averaging nine yards per catch. And until he boosts that number (by winning on vertically-oriented routes, getting better separation in space, picking up yards on his own after the catch), this 'not-athletic' label is going to stick.

18. Stitches

Nov 23, 2007
    Katy, TX
    I would take half of them over Landry, it'd make for a very cheap, tales WR group. :shifty:

19. djphinfan

Dec 20, 2007
    yeah I see what your saying but I believe he's going to lead the team in targets, receptions and yards..so what you want to call him?, and just because he does that doesn't mean we cant win, jarvis should own the middle of the field opening up the perimeter..hes going to be good enough to draw double team attention.

20. cbrad

cbrad .

Dec 21, 2014
    If Parker pans out, Landry won't be the leader in most of those categories and we won't have to have a discussion about Landry being a different type of #1 WR (I agree with Limbo on this btw). There's a decent chance Parker will show his worth by the 2nd half of his rookie season (like Landry did).

21. djphinfan

Dec 20, 2007
    maybe next year Parker will lead in yards, but as long as landry is here I think he will lead in targets and receptions..ala wes welker...so I don't think its a bad thing at all..I think you can win with this happening.

22. djphinfan

Dec 20, 2007
    its inside out passing game, the short settin up the long...im not sure what your disagreeing with Brad, are you saying it has to be the opposite to be successful.?

I mean you mock with dink and dunk references but isn't that how brady plays offense.?

23. djphinfan

Dec 20, 2007
    and you think he won't lead in most of those categories I mentioned?...you don't think jarvis landry is gonna lead this team in receptions and targets the next five years??

you wanna bet?

24. cbrad

cbrad .

Dec 21, 2014
    dj.. I like Landry a lot, and I value what he does. If all you have is someone like that, then by default he's a #1 WR. But there's a chance that with Parker you have a more clear-cut and traditional type of #1 WR. That's all I was saying.

As to what the stats will look like, I think if you want to bet we should include other key stats like YPC and TD as well as receptions, targets, yards etc.. If Parker pans out, no I don't think Landry will lead in most of them after several years, though he might in some.

25. Alex13

Alex13 Tua Time !!! Club Member

Dec 21, 2007
    Berlin,Germany
    well 6 of them got picked in the first round so they better be better than a 2nd round pick, if he gets mentioned every day so far because of plays he made, it just fair, meanwhile melvin gordon is having trouble in pass protection...and looks to be limited to only a 2 down role...thats after you were bashing the front office for not drafting Patterson...who has done absolutley nothing at this point in his career and then there is the La'El Collins guy who is still not ahead of Leary at Cowboys camp...your very own player evaluation is very smirky right now....if Gordon is not producing or Collins not a starter soon...you better shut your mouth in the future because your eye for talent is...NOT there

Fin4Ever and PhinFan1968 like this.
  26. djphinfan

Dec 20, 2007
    and what Im saying is I don't know if I believe in that traditional thing anymore..I think you can beat teams inside out if you have an elite inside presence..so maybe Parker will compliment Landry..teams will start to worry about landry that Parker will benefit, Im also saying this taking into account our qbs skill set.

27. Pandarilla

Pandarilla Purist Emeritus

Sep 10, 2009
    Boone, NC
    It's exhausting to give him enough praise for his efforts...

That said, his determination to incorporate one-handed catches regularly will change the game. If that's not stabbing at greatness, then I'm a bi-polar bear.

28. The Sportz Guy

The Sportz Guy New Member

May 11, 2014
    Jarvis Landry is Hines Ward-esque. He's better off as your No. 2 WR. Parker's upside is far greater, and I expect him to be the featured wide receiver for years to come while Landry complements him. Juice has the will, grit, work-ethic, technique, and hands to get the most out of his body and be a great teammate and great possession receiver. But he'll never be a "game-changer," while Parker possesses that talent. He's a guy I love having on the team and a guy easy to root for, but I need to see him do more than just catch five-yard dink-and-dunk passes before I crown him as the next great. I'd love to see it -- I want to see it -- but I don't think the innate talent is there, height and speed-wise, for him to become a bonafide No. 1 in today's NFL. I think he'll be really good and really fun to watch. He'll be great at his craft, which is what matters most. Let Landry dominate the short and intermediate, Parker dominate in pretty much any aspect, and Stills burn them deep. All for the best.

Tin Indian and rafael like this.
  29. PhinFan1968

PhinFan1968 To 2020, and BEYOND! Club Member

He has earned my trust in that he'll do what he says he will...if he says he can play outside, I'm going to believe him 100% until he proves he can't.

There are guys with his exact limitations in the HoF...because they also had the same intangibles Juice has.

I won't be that guy that says he can't...

lohink, Tin Indian and Fin4Ever like this.
  30. LBsFinest

LBsFinest Banned

Jul 24, 2012
    Swap out Brandin Cooks with Martavis Bryant and that's the list, but yea you can certainly argue Cooks over Landry as well.

31. djphinfan

Dec 20, 2007
    wes welker has two rings being the #1 option....4.65 forty....he also belongs in the hall of fame for revolutionizing the slot position.

32. shamegame13

shamegame13 Madison & Surtain

Dec 15, 2014
    Let me see Cooks make it a complete 16 games first and same for Bryant... also how do you consider Bryant better then Jarvis? He had 26 receptions lat year granted 8 for TDs but its not that hard to do when you have the best RB and WR in the entire NFL on your team(LeVeon and AB).. Unreal... the only players who are definitely better are Odell, Evans and Watkins, its a toss up from there and with Jarvis' work ethic, I wouldnt be surprised if he is the next best.. Kelvin is soft as charmin, Matthews drops too many passes for my liking, Cooks looks like an injury waiting to happen due to size, Bryant is on a prolific offense with 2 of the games best weapons and also has injury question marks, Moncrief did hardly anything last year as he was pretty green, Adams from GB honestly looks really good too, it wouldnt surprise me if he ended up being pretty good, Robinson looks good but also missed time to injury last season. I would put Jarvis at 4b behind Kelvin at 4a with Adams at number 5, watch out for Latimer in DEN this year too.

Moving on to Parker vs Landry. I find it hilarious how we (or at least some on these forums) already made Parker our #1 when all the experts before the draft were projecting him as a Hakeem Nicks style WR who was the definition of a low end #1/high end #2... gimme a break from the Parker lovefest as its known he is injured a lot from his college days and he MIGHT miss time already to start his NFL career. Lets see him play an NFL game before we declare him anything. So please, Landry is our #1 right now whether he is the X, Y or Z WR, it dont matter, he is the #1 and judging by his hard work and work ethic, it will be tougher then most of you think for Parker to steal that crown from him, Parker gets all this love cuz.of his draft status and decent size, i find it hilarious.

P.S. im optimistic and hopeful that Parker will.be a quality player, I think he is overhyped on these forums because he is a 6'2" WR. I dont see him or his game as a #1 WR but I hope im wrong.

33. Stitches

Nov 23, 2007
    Katy, TX
    No he doesn't.

Tin Indian likes this.
  34. Stitches

Nov 23, 2007
    Katy, TX

Que? Pretty much everyone said lesser AJ Green, which is still a pretty good #1, certainly no one I saw call him a high end #2.

Tin Indian and Fin4Ever like this.
  35. Fin4Ever

Fin4Ever Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Aug 26, 2014
    Vero Beach, FL
    Welker does not have any rings to my knowledge, does he?

Tin Indian likes this.
  36. shamegame13

shamegame13 Madison & Surtain

Dec 15, 2014
    You heard lesser AJ Green, I heard Nicks/rich mans Brandon Lafell.... However, I will let him play a game before calling him our #1 like some already proclaim. Landry is our 1 for now, and if I HAD TO PLACE A BET NOW, I would bet Landry has a way better career then Parker (its not good coming into the NFL as a rookie with an injury that derailed Hakeem Nicks career)

37. Stitches

Nov 23, 2007
    Katy, TX
    Just googling, I am seeing comparisons to early career Hakeem Nicks (~75 rec, 1,100 yds, 7 TDs), and the only comparison to Lafell is body type, not ability.

I'm not calling Parker our #1, so don't take it that way, but I don't think your attributions of others evaluations correctly illustrate Parker's perceived ability.

38. MikeHoncho

MikeHoncho -=| Censored |=-

Nov 13, 2009
    Ftfy

PhinFan1968 likes this.
  39. MikeHoncho

MikeHoncho -=| Censored |=-

Nov 13, 2009
    It's officially August. I'll commemorate you when I get home.

Pandarilla, PhinFan1968 and Fin D like this.
  40. rafael

rafael Well-Known Member

Apr 6, 2008
    I think the definition of #1 WR is far from universal. I agree with you that Landry isn't a #1 by my definition. My definition is a WR who wins so often against single coverage that he draws double coverage a lot and sometimes beats that as well. He can attack every spot on the field. He's so good that defenses have to change what they do to account for him. I don't see Landry as physically suited to attack all areas of the field to an extent that defenses have to double him anywhere. But I do expect that Landry will be our #1 target much like OJ was for us. And I've been so impressed with Landry's drive and work ethic that I believe that he can be another Hines Ward. (IMO Ward was Pitt's #1 target but never a true #1).

I also agree that we we finally have a few other very exciting options at WR. At a minimum, I believe that we have four other WRs and JC that I trust to win enough of the time that Tannehill should have options even if none of those guys becomes a true #1. And I think that for the first time in his career he should have a group that can threaten every spot on the field. That should help both Tannehill and Lazor. I do think that Parker has the potential to become a true #1 especially if he learns to be a pro from Jennings and Landry. Those two can help create a culture that develops players all over our team. I wasn't a big Parker fan going into the draft, but he has been impressive in the few glimpses we've had. If he maximizes his potential, as Landry seems to be doing, he could become another AJ Green. (When I project players I don't usually assume they will maximize their potential. That's actually pretty rare).