1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Omar Kelly Calls Out Dan Marino

Discussion in 'Miami Dolphins Forum' started by jim1, Jul 14, 2015.

1. jim1

jim1 New Member

Jul 1, 2008
    It's not as if we needed more proof that Omar Kelly is a douche and a hack writer, but here we go:

"Omar Kelly, the Miami Dolphins beat writer for the Sun Sentinel is known for controversial comments and opinions. He also has a part time radio gig on the weekends where him and Brent Grimes wife, Miko Grimes host a radio show. Both are also known for being overly critical of current Dolphins starting quarterback Ryan Tannehill. Yesterday afternoon Omar tweeted a series of controversial tweets-

People always make excuses for Dan Marino not winning a title. Hogwash. He wasn't good enough. How many Super Bowls did he get to?
    6:34 PM - 12 Jul 2015

You folks make a valid point. Thurman-Jim Kelly Bills were amazing. But if Marino couldn't beat them & they never won a SB...how dope is he?
    7:32 PM - 12 Jul 2015

Marino propped up South Florida's lone pro sports franchise for 15-years in an era when all he had was Phins & Canes. BUT what did he win?
    7:33 PM - 12 Jul 2015

You Dolphins fans probably don't like that opinion for two reasons. 1. You hate Brady & Patriots 2. Romanticize Dan Marino...but tough titty
    8:15 PM - 12 Jul 2015

http://www.thephinsider.com/2015/7/...calls-out-dan-marino-wasnt-good-enough-w-poll

How did Omar Kelly ever get a job as a sports writer anywhere, much less a major sports area like south Florida? That is a question for the ages. As they say, water finds its own level, and Omar Kelly doing a radio show with Miko Grimes sounds about right. I've been down here a long time and I can't think of a worse sports writer, ever, in south Florida. Omar Kelly is a no talent hack writer draped in arrogance, who is now taking pot shots at Dan Marino in south Florida. Way to go Omar.

Fin4Ever likes this.
  2. Alex13

Alex13 Tua Time !!! Club Member

Dec 21, 2007
    Berlin,Germany
    he got what he wanted..attention...people need to unfollow him on twitter and never respond to anything he does, that would help...if i had anything to say at dolphins facility with all the bull**** he has put up in the last few years....i would ban his *** from the team...armando a close second

i hope dan rips him a new one the next time he sees him though

3. Ronnie Bass

Ronnie Bass Luxury Box Luxury Box

Dec 19, 2007
    Wow, this douche posted this too:

[​IMG]

This guy just sucks as a person, so full of himself

Phins_Fan_87, ToddPhin and Fin4Ever like this.
  4. MonstBlitz

MonstBlitz Nobody's Fart Catcher

Jan 14, 2008
    Hornell, NY
    As long as this type of trash generates page hits, he'll keep doing it.

5. finyank13

finyank13 Reality Check

Jan 6, 2010
    Honestly when was the last time he legit broke a news story?

I mean every reporter gets a story once or twice in their lives, has he? I mean again first one to break something on anything...

Fin4Ever likes this.
  6. MikeHoncho

MikeHoncho -=| Censored |=-

Nov 13, 2009
    Your continued attention, has made this man the Kim Kardashian of the local sports beat.

7. Piston Honda

Piston Honda Well-Known Member

Sep 23, 2014
    Yank his credentials and make his *** buy tickets like everyone else.

Fin4Ever likes this.
  8. Fin D

Fin D Sigh

Nov 27, 2007
    You guys complaining about this is only sending people to his site which generates clicks.

Basically you're giving your dog a steak every time he ****s on the floor.

9. Mcduffie81

Mcduffie81 Wildcat Club Member

Mar 23, 2008
    Lake Worth, Fl.
    Omar acts as if it's only Dolphins fans who revere Dan Marino. Marino is widely considered one of the very best to ever play by anyone who watches football.

Brasfin and Fin4Ever like this.
  10. CashInFist

CashInFist Well-Known Member

Nov 30, 2007
    West Virginia
    We are giving him attention right now. I'm not going to after this post. I don't think I've ever read an Omar Kelly article, and I've never been to his twitter account. Every time I see you guys quoting him I just smh at what he typed. He is the true definition of a moronic attention whore.

11. Muck

Muck Throwback Uniform Crusader Retired Administrator

Nov 25, 2007
    Sunny Florida
    Bill Walsh would disagree with him. And I'd wonder what Omar's take on Doug Williams, Trent Diller and Jeff Hostetler would be.

Fact is 'team' was even more important in that era. A HOF QB not being good enough to win a SB is kinda ridiculous.

- posted via Tapatalk -

Killer Bees, Brasfin, Paul 13 and 3 others like this.
  12. finyank13

finyank13 Reality Check

Jan 6, 2010
    I got blocked by him on Twitter a year ago for asking him when he ever broke a story......that was a good day...

Colmax, Fin4Ever and Fin D like this.
  13. Fin4Ever

Fin4Ever Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Aug 26, 2014
    Vero Beach, FL
    You are right...and knowing Dan, he will not take it lying down....I will celebrate, the day Omar Kelly's a$$ is fired from the Sun Sentinel...and I agree with your idea...ban him from all property owned by the Dolphins and Ross.

14. SICK

SICK Lounge Moderator

Nov 29, 2007
    Charlotte NC
    Tone_E, Fin4Ever and finyank13 like this.
  15. SICK

SICK Lounge Moderator

Nov 29, 2007
    Charlotte NC
    btw Miami Dolphins employee and Finsider host tweeted this directly to Omar Kelly

Fin4Ever likes this.
  16. SICK

SICK Lounge Moderator

Nov 29, 2007
    Charlotte NC
    ESPNs Jorge Sedano and former 790 the ticket host chimes in

Fin4Ever likes this.
  17. Fin4Ever

Aug 26, 2014
    Vero Beach, FL
    Well, I do not follow him on Twitter...or anyone else for that matter..Lol and I do not subscribe to the Sun Sentinel online because of him..everyone should try to stop following him...him & Miko...LMAO..What a sorry *** pair of people...Grimes you better watch your back with that snake in the grass.

18. finyank13

finyank13 Reality Check

Jan 6, 2010
    Omar has gotten even more brazen since Miko came on the scene.....she agitates him and vice versa...

Fin4Ever likes this.
  19. Stringer Bell

Stringer Bell Post Hard, Post Often Club Member

Mar 22, 2008
    Easy answer ....he's able to get people to start threads about him.

20. jim1

jim1 New Member

Jul 1, 2008
    Wrong.

21. Stringer Bell

Mar 22, 2008
    What specifically is wrong? Are you saying Omar Kelly doesn't get the most attention of all the south Fla writers?

22. Fin4Ever

Aug 26, 2014
    Vero Beach, FL
    What ever happened to the good ole' days when we had journalists like Edwin Pope?

jim1, RevRick, Tin Indian and 2 others like this.
  23. RoninFin4

RoninFin4 Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Dec 11, 2007
    Cincinnati, Ohio
    Considering the source of this (Omar), it's north getting worked up over. Guy still doesn't even know what a 3-technique is.

Fin4Ever likes this.
  24. ckparrothead

ckparrothead Draft Forum Moderator Luxury Box

Dec 1, 2007
    Omar Kelly is very good at his job.

Most people just don't have a proper understanding of what his job actually is.

RevRick, Tin Indian, Brasfin and 3 others like this.
  25. GridIronKing34

GridIronKing34 Silently Judging You

Nov 22, 2007
    Denver, CO
    Bingo.

26. VManis

VManis Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Nov 10, 2010

I'd love to see one of the local major media outlets take the opposite route and hire journalist the actual report on the team rather than this shock jock approach to sports.

finyank13 and Fin4Ever like this.
  27. ckparrothead

ckparrothead Draft Forum Moderator Luxury Box

Dec 1, 2007
    The Herald has done that. But Adam Beasley isn't near as popular as Omar Kelly. Personality sells better than reporting.

If the NFL weren't so effing stodgy and lifeless, this might not be the case. Then everyone would care more about what people on the team were saying as opposed to what people around the team say about the team. But that's what the NFL wants.

28. Paul 13

Paul 13 Chaotic Neutral & Unstable Genius Staff Member

Dec 3, 2007
    Man.... he is so dope.

[​IMG]

PhinFan1968 likes this.
  29. Stringer Bell

Mar 22, 2008
    'Actual report on the team' entails what exactly? "They practiced today. Joe Philbin said some useless platitudes. Here is the injury report. The Dolphins play the Bills this week. We have no idea about anything happening in the front office. The end." Who would read that?

30. Clark Kent

Clark Kent Fighter of the Nightman

May 9, 2008
    How is the NFL lifeless and stodgy? It's the only sport with an off-season that's a season in and of itself.

ESPN and skip bayless have ruined sports coverage.

31. Stringer Bell

Mar 22, 2008
    The NFL does not make information available. The coaches, players, and front office personnel are not forthcoming. There is very little to actually report on.

ckparrothead likes this.
  32. vt_dolfan

vt_dolfan Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Thats actually a very good point. Im confused as to what his job is. After reading Hydes article, it made me wonder if their is sort of a bad cop, good cop, thing going on. Fans will respond to Omars negative views...and then when Hyde counters in an article, they will head over to SunSentinel to read what Hyde had to say.

I dont really believe what Omar is doing, is real sports journalism. But, it pays the bills.

PhinFan1968 likes this.
  33. RoninFin4

RoninFin4 Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Dec 11, 2007
    Cincinnati, Ohio
    I'd argue the NBA w/the Draft and Free Agency, especially being so close to the end of the Finals, have done a pretty good job of closing that gap in recent years. Now with the Summer League, the die-hards have something to chew on as well.

34. DevilFin13

DevilFin13 Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Mar 22, 2008
    Damn trolls. The season can't get here soon enough.

PhinFan1968 likes this.
  35. VManis

VManis Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Nov 10, 2010

That's pretty narrow minded. There is plenty of legit stories surrounding the team and the players that can be reported in an intelligent way. Just recently we saw an article on how Landry is practicing with Beckham. How about reporting on Albert's recovery, how he is rehabing and his prognosis. We have a new d-line coach, how about a story about him. How about doing a little investigation on Mathis, why he hasn't signed anywhere. How about a story on the new helmet that JC is wearing. Background stories on the rookies.

The problem with any of those stories is that they would require Omar getting off his arse and doing some research rather then just tweeting the next controversial thing that crosses his mind.

CashInFist likes this.
  36. Ohio Fanatic

Ohio Fanatic Twuaddle or bust Club Member

Nov 26, 2007
    Concord, MA
    yes, they've done a better job, but really, it was only a couple days of legit interest in the NBA offseason. still pretty paltry in comparison

37. Stringer Bell

Mar 22, 2008
    There are two ways newspapers can generate revenue; advertisement, and subscriptions.

Advertisement revenue is pretty simple: advertisers pay based on A) how many people view content, and B) the demographics of those people viewing content.

So when Omar Kelly gets evaluated by his superiors, they judge him on how many people view his content, and who those people are. Generally speaking, young people are going valued more highly than older people.

They aren't judging him on the quality of his content. They aren't judging him on whether people like his content. They are judging him on how many read his stories, follow him on twitter, comment on his content, etc.

vt_dolfan likes this.
  38. Fin D

Fin D Sigh

Nov 27, 2007
    While I agree with your overall sentiment, that is not Omar's job.

Omar's job is generate clicks. He's done that. That's his job and he is good at it.

The real issue, for me, is if he's intentionally doing it. I don't think he is. I think he genuinely believes that tripe he spews, whereas Armando, is calculating in what he puts out there.

MAFishFan likes this.
  39. MonstBlitz

MonstBlitz Nobody's Fart Catcher

Jan 14, 2008
    Hornell, NY
    For those wondering what good, entertaining coverage of the NFL sounds like I'd encourage you all to check out some of the programming on the Sirius NFL channel. Moving the Chains during the afternoon drive is pretty damn good. Pat Kirwan is great, and carries Jim Miller who is pretty much a stroke, but also knowledgeable. Whenever you can catch Gil Brandt on it's a real treat. Ross Tucker in the morning is not bad to listen to either. Not all the personalities on there are great, but a lot of these shows are good examples of how the NFL can be covered objectively, without all the attention whoring, and by guys who actually know the sport. I have given up watching or reading ESPN, or anyone like Omar Kelly and I've been much happier since. We have to stop taking the bait if we ever want trolls like Skip Bayless and Omar Kelly to be unemployable.

Paul 13 and Wayne Kjelsrud like this.
  40. Stringer Bell

Mar 22, 2008
    Thats really just a puff piece.

Nobody is getting any real details on Branden Alberts rehab and prognosis. NFL teams don't let that information get out, and if it does, it usually is coming with an angle, so you're left questioning the accuracy, and then it comes down to how much you trust Omar Kelly.

The rest of the stuff you mentioned is certainly feasible - but the question becomes how many fans actually care about the background story of a positional coach, or a random rookie. These stories only generate interest when there is a unique story, i.e. Jimmy Wilson.

Here is a recent story on Jay Ajayi:

http://www.thephins.com/forums/showthread.php?86353-Jay-Ajayi-s-Rookie-Confessional

That thread generated 1/5th the comments this one has.