1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

MR ROBOT...... totally deserves its own thread

Discussion in 'TV, Music and Movies' started by ToddPhin, Jul 9, 2015.

1. ToddPhin

ToddPhin Premium Member Luxury Box Club Member

Jul 6, 2012
    NC
    Just a big fat friggin' WHOA. That's what it deserves.... and then some.
    Remember how you felt after the first episode of Breaking Bad? Still fiending for its replacement?

This is a psychological thriller about a mentally/socially awkward cyber-security engineer/programmer who moonlights as a hacker vigilante and becomes recruited by a small network likened to Anonymous to help bring down Mr evil corporate conglomerate whom his day job is responsible for protecting.

Three episodes in and not a second's worth of imperfection to be found.
    As flawless and beautiful as a Pagani Huayra.
    So gripping that I actually found myself being distracted from the show by swirling thoughts of how great it is.
    Phenomenal lead character BTW who does an outstanding job of seamlessly sucking you into his world.
    Every bit deserving of its lofty 9.4 IMDB rating.

You can catch up on the first 3 episodes at USA.com.

If not, try it here. http://watch-series-tv.to/serie/mr_robot ...... Use the Filehoot link. It has the best picture. Just don't get suckered into installing/downloading anything and close out the popups.

2. Stringer Bell

Stringer Bell Post Hard, Post Often Club Member

Mar 22, 2008
    Just bought this. This better not suck or it's your *** Todd

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G920A using Tapatalk

Paul 13 and ToddPhin like this.
  3. ToddPhin

Jul 6, 2012
    NC
    :lol:
    Thank me later, Omar. ..... hopefully.

4. Paul 13

Paul 13 Chaotic Neutral & Unstable Genius Staff Member

Dec 3, 2007
    Yeah I heard this was good... a friend who works in that industry (cyber-security) said they must have someone working as a consultant with all the terminology they are using.

5. Fin D

Fin D Sigh

Nov 27, 2007
    I just watched the first episode.

This show.....

is ****ing incredible.

SICK, ToddPhin and Bpk like this.
  6. Bpk

Bpk Premium Member Luxury Box

It's very good. I enjoyed all the episodes.

Friend of mine who is a TV writer hates most shows because he sees script flaws.

Loved this one.

ToddPhin likes this.
  7. Bpk

My current fave five shows

1) Game of Thrones
    2) Mr. Robot
    3) Daredevil
    4) Walking Dead
    5) Deutschland 83

8. Clark Kent

Clark Kent Fighter of the Nightman

May 9, 2008
    I've heard good things about it, but I haven't had time to watch it. I'll check it out based on the recs.

BPK- Deutschland 83 is good huh? I've heard about that one too, but off hand I can't remember what it's about.

9. Unlucky 13

Unlucky 13 Team Raheem Club Member

Apr 24, 2012
    Troy, Virginia
    The only time I've seen any advertising for the show is when I saw a preview of it at the cinema before watching Avengers 2 this spring. Otherwise, beyond mentions in this forum, I wouldn't know it exists. Didn't seem like something that would interest me either way, but I'm surprised at the total lack of press and advertising. Usually, when a network like USA or TNT has a new show on, there are commercials for it on DirecTV endlessly.

10. Stringer Bell

Mar 22, 2008
    It is OK in my opinion. Some of it is too over the top or forced for me. But overall its intriguing.

ToddPhin likes this.
  11. Fin D

Fin D Sigh

Nov 27, 2007
    lol. You can say that about ANY show.

12. ToddPhin

Jul 6, 2012
    NC
    Wait, are you talking about the show in general or some of its scenes, or both?

To me it seems like a Hackers version of Dexter.... with possibly some Fight Club & True Romance mixed in too. I like the over the top'ness about it, in the same way I do/did Hannibal, Misfits, Sherlock, Suits, Banshee, Utopia, Deadwood, and Dexter. For me it's what helps make and define the show, but I could see where it might be perceived as excessive to some, especially those more familiar with corporate America and programming, kinda like how an RN might find Nurse Jackie excessively over the top.... or how some of us here might find Draft Day too over the top.

13. Fin D

Fin D Sigh

Nov 27, 2007
    If there was nothing "over the top" or out of the ordinary, then there's no story to tell. It would be just recounting a typical day in a typical person's life. Boring.

14. ToddPhin

Jul 6, 2012
    NC
    Shared sentiments.
    Wait till you get through episode 3 BTW. I haven't been this blown away by the beginning of a series since Hannibal, and then Breaking Bad before that.

Fin D likes this.
  15. Tone_E

Tone_E Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Dec 8, 2007
    Thanks. Looking for a new show to watch. Definitely going to check this out.

ToddPhin likes this.
  16. Bpk

Young East German cop has to go undercover as a spy in West Germany as there is a nuclear escalation happening.

17. Clark Kent

May 9, 2008
    Caught up with the first three episodes. It's an interesting show, but it can be a little confusing if you're not familiar w/tech stuff. The main character does his best to explain, but there's still some things I didn't absorb completely. The main character is interesting and view of the world is too. There's nothing else on TV like it, so that's a plus. I wouldn't say it deserves the 9.4 rating that Todd suggests, but it's worth a watch.

ToddPhin likes this.
  18. SICK

SICK Lounge Moderator

Nov 29, 2007
    Charlotte NC
    Fantastic show, hooked on every episode.

Fun fact the lead character played Ahkmenrah in the "Night of the museum" movies.

ToddPhin likes this.
  19. DenverDolfan

DenverDolfan Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Mar 13, 2009
    Lakewood CO
    Watched the first three episodes and agree. Not something I would have thought I would enjoy, so thanks for the heads up.

ToddPhin likes this.
  20. Stringer Bell

Mar 22, 2008
    Its not about things that are out of the ordinary. Its about trying to bludgeon the viewer into understanding things that could be portrayed in a much lesser manner. One example:

When Elliott gets 'kidnapped' and goes to meet Tyrell...why exactly are there 11 lawyers in the room? That is just comical and silly.

Overall I think it is a good show. It isn't a great show though IMO.

ToddPhin likes this.
  21. SICK

SICK Lounge Moderator

Nov 29, 2007
    Charlotte NC
    I am not 100% sure everything he/we are seeing is really there. I really think it's called E-Corp, however we see Evil-Corp on signs in time square, on the bank statements etc. I think that's Elliots subconscious painting them in that light. I know the guy mentioned why the lawyers were present. However, Elliot could have been imagining multiple lawyers to make it seem more aggressive, life threatening, when in fact it could've been one guy there to take notes.

Da 'Fins, ToddPhin and Fin D like this.
  22. Stringer Bell

Mar 22, 2008
    That's a fair point.

Fin D likes this.
  23. ToddPhin

Jul 6, 2012
    NC
    that's why I believed there might be some Fight Club mixed in. well, not b/c of the attorneys' scene..... but now that you mention it, it only perpetuates that belief. Good call, Chris. I've been paying close attention to Christian Slater if you know what I mean, as well as been scrutinizing his crew's behavior toward Elliot. Is Mr Robot the new Tyler Durden? Is Darlene the new Marla Singer? Watch the bar scene again where Slater is drinking an Appletini and Elliot orders "what he's having".... but the bartender doesn't seem to acknowledge Slater's presence. Was that truly Elliot's first Appletini of the night, or was it his second?.... "I am Elliot's complete lack of....."

24. Clark Kent

May 9, 2008
    Usually I'm on top of things like that, but I totally missed that perspective of that scene. Adds an interesting layer to the show.. Going to pay attention to Slater more.

ToddPhin likes this.
  25. SICK

SICK Lounge Moderator

Nov 29, 2007
    Charlotte NC
    Yup, the dark haired chick always seems confused when "Elliot" shows up and shes showering in his apartment, or hanging about like she does it often, and is confused when he snaps at her. Def seems like fight club vibe. Also, when Christian Slater FIRST brings Elliot to the arcade, the door guy opens the door and NEVER looks at Christian Slater. Only Elliot. No one seemed to notice Slater in his cubicle either. Huge breach just happened, and no ones finds it weird a homeless guy is sitting in Elliots chair like hes supposed to be there? No one alerts security? I think he's Elliot. Hell I think the young guy thats gay on the side might be Elliot too. OR Christian Slater is his dad. Either one lol

ToddPhin likes this.
  26. ToddPhin

Jul 6, 2012
    NC
    4th episode was less gripping and not quite as good as the prior 3 IMO. Fight Club vibe is now in full effect.... unless that's what they want us to think and are simply having Slater take a hands-off approach to give the newbie a chance to prove himself. But the show's called Mr Robot, so to me that lends itself more to being about Elliot's alter self than the quiet guy no one seems to pay attention to.

27. VanDolPhan

VanDolPhan Club member Club Member

Nov 26, 2007
    Hamilton, Ontario Canada
    I absolutely love this show!

ToddPhin likes this.
  28. Fin D

Fin D Sigh

Nov 27, 2007
    What if all the hackers of fsociety are figments of Elliot's imagination?

29. ToddPhin

Jul 6, 2012
    NC
    sh** that thought hasn't even crossed my mind. Does the chick throw a kink into that though? [not b/c of her gender but b/c of the other stuff]

30. Fin D

Fin D Sigh

Nov 27, 2007
    I dunno. I mean the end result is, she didn't deliver with the Chinese, which in my mind, shows she hasn't actually done anything. Although did his neighbor see her, I don't remember?

ToddPhin likes this.
  31. ToddPhin

Jul 6, 2012
    NC
    so much for either of our theories.

Fin D likes this.
  32. SICK

SICK Lounge Moderator

Nov 29, 2007
    Charlotte NC
    Oh. My. God.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Da 'Fins and Fin D like this.
  33. Fin D

Fin D Sigh

Nov 27, 2007
    Great. Effing. Show.

Da 'Fins likes this.
  34. ToddPhin

Jul 6, 2012
    NC
    I know right, CiF is totally thinking, "Darlene would've never rejected that smooch if she were my sister!" :shifty:

35. ToddPhin

Jul 6, 2012
    NC
    W.T.F.

plus an homage to Fight Club with the end song [when Elliot & Tyrell are talking]. Brilliant.

[video=youtube;E1d5VvCa8Fo]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E1d5VvCa8Fo[/video]

.... not to mention the childhood mention of Pulp Fiction followed later by "I'm pretty f***ing far from ok".
    Let's not forget the occasional first person narrative to make him seem all the more f***ed in the head. "You're gonna make me say it aren't you. I'm Mr Robot".

Da 'Fins likes this.
  36. MikeHoncho

MikeHoncho -=| Censored |=-

Nov 13, 2009
    Needs more bewbs.

37. Stringer Bell

Mar 22, 2008
    Actually was hanging out with one of the producers today.

Da 'Fins and ToddPhin like this.
  38. ToddPhin

Jul 6, 2012
    NC
    And? ....... cream and sugar or no? :shifty:

39. Da 'Fins

Da 'Fins Season Ticket Holder Staff Member Club Member

Dec 19, 2007
    Birmingham, AL
    So, haven't commented on this thread but have been watching Mr. Robot from the start.

So incredible. Really the best first season of a show that I can remember.

(Episode 8 was just epic, imo).

Tonight - great -

but then ...

The post-credit ending! Ho.Ly.Crap! White Rose in with E-corp!

The only way this show could have been better for me was to add more episodes.

I thought all three girls were incredibly appealing in the season (at first the blonde was annoying and came across shallow. But, her later scenes and the way she confronted people with such honesty and morality was so impressive. What a well-written character).

40. Stringer Bell

Mar 22, 2008
    Barely talked about the show. Just exchanged forum stories.

ToddPhin likes this.