1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Sports Buzz Dolphins notes 7/5/15

Discussion in 'Miami Dolphins Forum' started by jim1, Jul 5, 2015.

1. jim1

jim1 New Member

Jul 1, 2008
    Update on a couple of young Dolphins: One reason the Dolphins felt they didn't need to sign a veteran defensive end after Dion Jordan's suspension was not only faith in linebacker Chris McCain (who is working in Jordan's role as well as at strongside linebacker), but also in Terrence Fede, who defensive coordinator Kevin Coyle is bullish about. Fede's defensive snap count (82 last season) figures to increase, and he said he's determined "to be more of a playmaker."

Meanwhile, it's good to see cornerback Will Davis so far make a mostly smooth return from ACL surgery.

"It's a terrible process... at the beginning," Davis said of his recovery. He told Finsiders.com that "there is some nervousness" returning from the injury. "There is definitely some hesitation. Still not 100 percent yet. Having this break will help."

http://miamiherald.typepad.com/spor...g-concerns-heat-chatter-jose-fernandez-r.html

DOLPHAN1, rafael, 77FinFan and 2 others like this.
  2. cbrad

cbrad .

Dec 21, 2014
    If Fede or McCain works out, that 2014 draft was better than already thought. Especially Fede because he holds the promise of not necessarily having to resign OV. I wonder though if a year is enough for him to prove that since OV is a FA next year. Wish being bullish on Turner was being reported too.

Fin4Ever and 77FinFan like this.
  3. jim1

jim1 New Member

Jul 1, 2008

I think that Fede is the real deal.

4. Disgustipate

Disgustipate Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Nov 25, 2007
    I think if they're really looking at simplifying the defense, they could do a fair amount of good by limiting Wake to a more Nickel-oriented role and then play whomever between Fede and Shelby are better at a true strongside position. That would let them run the Under front Coyle has been hamhandedly rigging for the last couple years more naturally and let you get more mileage out of Wake.

slickj101 likes this.
  5. Piston Honda

Piston Honda Well-Known Member

Sep 23, 2014
    Good post. Thats def some outside the box thinking. How do you think offenses would adjust to that?

6. FinSane

FinSane Cynical Dolphins Fan

Dec 1, 2007
    Melbourne, Fl
    Try not to run the ball on us as much, use the spread to take advantage of our lesser corners not named Grimes.

Sent from my SM-G900T using Tapatalk

7. Brasfin

Brasfin Well-Known Member

Apr 27, 2013
    Brazil
    That strategy would be good against run-oriented teams like the Jets and Bills... they'd be pretty much forced to throw the ball. But teams with good/elite QB's like the Patriots, I'd rather they keep Wake there on most downs, unless Fede/Shelby show they can rush the passer as well as Wake this season, which is pretty unlikely.

8. dolfan7171

dolfan7171 Well-Known Member

Jun 12, 2009
    Arizona
    I like Fede. He is going to be great for us.

Fin4Ever likes this.
  9. slickj101

slickj101 Is Water

Dec 21, 2007
    NY
    So much this.

I'm not going to check so if I'm wrong I apologize, but he was coming off a big injury last year so if he wasn't limited from there on then it was a mistake imo. You need to keep him fresh and as explosive as possible, not run him in to the ground wantashe style. This is as especially true now that our passrush has a great supporting cast with a lot of talented young guys waiting in the wings as well.

10. Fin4Ever

Fin4Ever Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Aug 26, 2014
    Vero Beach, FL
    I think they are all going to be very good players for us for a very long time....but I definitely want us to resign one of our own in OV....He is only 24, and he is only going to get better every year and will be a pro bowler imho.

11. Disgustipate

Disgustipate Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Nov 25, 2007
    I think it's a matter of properly managing it, but ultimately the point is too often the Dolphins let opponents dictate positioning and put Cameron Wake in disadvantageous positions. You've got a finite number of snaps with him left and you can't waste them letting him get bracketed by a TE and RT on a likely running down. He's been able to hold his own when put in that position, but it's a waste ultimately.You need to keep him on the edge, and on the left side.

12. padre31

padre31 Premium Member Luxury Box

Nov 22, 2007
    inching to 100k posts
    Another reason why I like the 4-3 (as a base) De's are so interchangable coming out of college today.

None of the "oh, he has to learn a new position!"

13. Pandarilla

Pandarilla Purist Emeritus

Sep 10, 2009
    Boone, NC
    I don't know about "bullish", I would've gone with "intermittently flacid"...