1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Players concerned about the guard situation

Discussion in 'Miami Dolphins Forum' started by LBsFinest, Jul 3, 2015.

1. LBsFinest

LBsFinest Banned

Jul 24, 2012
  2. Fin4Ever

Fin4Ever Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Aug 26, 2014
    Vero Beach, FL
    How do you nail down a position in shorts? And I am being serious.

3. Fin D

Fin D Sigh

Nov 27, 2007
    Especially an oline position, the area MOST effected by not being in pads?

Fin4Ever likes this.
  4. Killer Bees

Killer Bees Bringin' the Ruckus

Aug 14, 2011
    lol I was thinking the same thing. How can someone step up and solidify a position that's up for grabs in OTAs. That's what camp and preseason is for, especially at the O-Line.

Another solid optimistic post by LB.

Piston Honda and Fin4Ever like this.
  5. jim1

jim1 New Member

Jul 1, 2008
    The OG position is a real concern, pads or not, it's pretty obvious imo- not to mention the questions surrounding when Branden Albert will be ready to play at LT. To me the solution is obvious, especially for an OL that uses a ZBS- sign Evan Mathis. Use that available cap money this year, make the deal cap friendly for 2016 and get it done.

Fin4Ever likes this.
  6. Brasfin

Brasfin Well-Known Member

Apr 27, 2013
    Brazil
    IMO, they're going to use the wait-and-see approach on Mathis. By the look of the training camp schedule, I think they'll closely observe the guards in practices the first week leading up to the scrimmage on Friday, August 7th, if by the following weekend they are not sold on both guard positions, they'll pursue Mathis.

7. Stringer Bell

Stringer Bell Post Hard, Post Often Club Member

Mar 22, 2008
    Guards are likely going to be pretty bad. Up to everyone else to pick up the slack.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G920A using Tapatalk

Dolphinzdawgg likes this.
  8. jim1

jim1 New Member

Jul 1, 2008
    They might not have any choice but to wait. Drew Rosenhaus was on Sports Buzz, a weekly spot on WSVN in south Florida late Sunday night, and he clearly stated that he and Mathis are in no rush whatsoever to sign- plenty of suitors and they want to see who will up the ante, the insinuation being injuries, teams realizing need, position weakness etc. being the driving forces to get Mathis a better deal. That being said, my opinion is screw it it, we need quality and experienced OGs, he's a great fit, go sign him. No matter how you cut it Billy Turner is unproven, Jamil Douglas is a rookie and Dallas Thomas is, well, Dallas Thomas. No team in the NFL needs Evan Mathis more than the Dolphins. Go get him.

2socks likes this.
  9. jim1

jim1 New Member

Jul 1, 2008
    Need a spoon, need a Guard? "Ahaaa!"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N3jx4WIUYy4

Evan Mathis is the metaphorical spoon that we need to get.

10. LiferYank

LiferYank New Member

Oct 1, 2012
    If his agent convinced him to wait he isnt going to sign yet.. Seems simple to me.

11. jim1

jim1 New Member

Jul 1, 2008
    Of course. When Rosenhaus does make Mathis available we should be first in line.

12. Disgustipate

Disgustipate Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Nov 25, 2007
    How many times have we seen an offensive line(or component of it) that was **** on paper, and was **** in practice turn it around when the games started?

You've got the makings of the kind of dumpster fire that can lose you games at Guard.

Ohio Fanatic and brandon27 like this.
  13. Fin D

Fin D Sigh

Nov 27, 2007
    Normally, when faced with a lack of actual information, a rational view would be neutral.

Here, however, when faced with a lack of info (like how good our guards will be), the view is negative not neutral.

We don't know if Turner will be good, if Thomas will improve or if Douglas will be good, so that is cause for questions, but why is it cause for panic? Turner, in limited playing time, didn't embarrass himself. Thomas AT GUARD NOT RT, wasn't as awful as people would have us believe and Douglas fits the system. Assuming we only need average guard play, I'm not sure why the sky is falling.

RickyNeverInhaled likes this.
  14. zwave21

zwave21 New Member

Dec 31, 2012
    Honestly, I have no issue reading this and I think the concern is justified. I think the players know more than us that this team has some serious talent and an opportunity to do something this year. For players who have seen our QB get sacked more than any QB in the league they do't want it to go undressed.

I think it's a valid point and difficult to assess a OL in shorts and shirts. Hopefully, when the pads come on so does the aggression. But, let's be serious Albert is ? to start week one and who knows exactly how effective he will be. He is the difference maker on this OL, aside from that moving Pouncey back to center will help aide the OG adjustment. Letting JuWan focus on RT and only that is huge for his development.

I like what I've seen from Jamil Douglas but fellas were playing in the AFC East, take a look at those DL's we have 2x a year. For him to go against Wilkerson, Richardson, K Williams, M Dareus, M Williams, Easley, Jones, Brown... yeah that is asking an awful lot. Aside from that he may be playing next to Jason Fox to begin the year, doesn't leave me too comfortable about Tannehill's blind side. Shift over to RG my hope is Billy Turner puts to rest any fear for that position. Turner is a mauler and it will be a huge thing for us to see him take the next step.

I think the concern also stems from knowing what has happened at that position the past three years, and trying to go younger may not leave people satisfied on the team. Another factor may be an All-Pro OG sitting in FA. While Mathis is seasoned I'd easily say he is still Top 5 caliber for his position. Granted he will cost a bit but I see no reason why not to lock him up. Let Jamil either compete for RG with Turner or learn behind Mathis. Bringing Mathis into the fold with Albert back healthy that left side of our OL is downright nasty.

The only downside is the cap cost it may have we know we invested a boat load of money into RT17 and Suh. Also that we have Miller, and Vernon as potential FA's. That is going to be a tough decision next offseason plain and simple because both are young ascending players but may demand too much $$$. Still, with some restructuring in Grimes, Wake, and maybe Suh to lower 2016 # we can make this work.

The potential for this offense is sky high, and allowing our QB time to make proper reads could be the difference. RB is much more certain than last year. WR/TE while revamped has an added dimension that fits to the strength of our offense. We've seen the capability of our QB when upright.

15. Piston Honda

Piston Honda Well-Known Member

Sep 23, 2014
    The sky isn't falling at all. Instead of mindlessly regurgitating old narratives people need to go back and actually watch the guy play. Buffalo, KC, Oakland, Jax, Thomas was fine at OG last season. If he's able to finally focus on one position he could be even better.

PhinFan1968 and Fin D like this.
  16. Piston Honda

Sep 23, 2014
    Exactly.

How do you generate clicks during a dead time in the season? Dumb articles like these.

17. jim1

jim1 New Member

Jul 1, 2008
    Are the Dolphins players who feel concerned about the Guard position dumb as well?

18. Fin D

Fin D Sigh

Nov 27, 2007
    Which ones were those?

19. brandon27

brandon27 Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Dec 3, 2007
    Windsor, ON. CANADA
    I'm concerned about it as well. We all should be.

Just sign Evan Mathis and get it over with.

Dolphinzdawgg likes this.
  20. jim1

jim1 New Member

Jul 1, 2008
    DOLPHINS NOTE

### Among the feedback we've heard from Dolphins players: There's definitely concern about the situation at guard, where nobody has seized a position (though rookie Jamil Douglas has had some good moments); optimism about the secondary even beyond Brent Grimes (Jamar Taylor, Brice McCain were solid in May/June practices and Bobby McCain and Tony Lippett flashed); and praise for how linebacker Chris McCain has handled his increased responsibilities.

http://miamiherald.typepad.com/spor...rades-marlins-at-halfway-point-dolphins-.html

jdang307 likes this.
  21. PhinFan1968

PhinFan1968 To 2020, and BEYOND! Club Member

This kinda jives with the reports saying RT went to the front office and asked them to sign Mathis. Too much smoke there to be fire-free.

Also jives with OTA reports about every DL smoking Dallas Thomas, including rooks (granted it's just in shorts...still not fun to see).

However, I'm waiting for at least the pre-season games to worry...he showed decent enough last year at guard...we don't need 1st Team All-Pro...we just need decent.

I'm borderline more concerned with Turner at RG...has he learned leverage yet? I'd expected RG to be locked up by now.

jdang307 likes this.
  22. LBsFinest

LBsFinest Banned

Jul 24, 2012
    Lol yea you took that same stance with Jonathan Martin and Dallas Thomas the past couple years. Newsflash: we have the worst guard situation in the entire league and you're over here wondering why the fans (and now the players it seems) are worried. Sorry the rest of us don't share your blind optimism.

CashInFist and jdang307 like this.
  23. Rocky Raccoon

Rocky Raccoon Greasepaint Ghost Staff Member

Dec 2, 2007
    Jersey
    It's normal to be concerned about the guard position. I think we all are. However, there's no reason to panic about it right now. Camp hasn't even freaking started yet.

This is the kind of article that would mean something on September 3rd, not July 3rd.

24. Alex13

Alex13 Tua Time !!! Club Member

Dec 21, 2007
    Berlin,Germany
    first of all, why am I not surprised who started this thread...

[​IMG]

they must do something right....this is an astonishing number, imo

77FinFan likes this.
  25. jdang307

jdang307 Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Nov 29, 2007
    San Diego
    The options get worse, not better when camp starts. Every year there is concern with the oline and every year, we hear, oh camp didn't even start yet. Season didn't start yet. We're only 4 games in. Oh there is always next season.

By Sept 3, the fate is sealed. July 3rd, you can still try to do something about it.

And RT hasn't denied that, has he? You figured he would if he did not lobby, lest he be seen as throwing his teammates under the bus.

26. jdang307

Nov 29, 2007
    San Diego
    Or Miller was really good, or Lazor's spacing was, or all the above, or none of the above.

There is cause for concern.

Ohio Fanatic and 77FinFan like this.
  27. Alex13

Alex13 Tua Time !!! Club Member

Dec 21, 2007
    Berlin,Germany
    its Dolphins RB´s not Lamar Miller....that scheme still has to be executed though

28. Rocky Raccoon

Rocky Raccoon Greasepaint Ghost Staff Member

Dec 2, 2007
    Jersey
    But who's to say someone won't be acquired over the next 2 months? Who's to say someone already on the roster won't grab the bull by the horns over the next 2 months?

That's why, at this point in time, it's something to be concerned about, but a lot can happen between now and September.

29. djphinfan

djphinfan Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Dec 20, 2007
    not to sure what to make of the stat, I believe we were below average in third down conversions..you would think if we are getting good yardage on first down our 3rd down conversion rate would be better.

30. cbrad

cbrad .

Dec 21, 2014
    I totally agree, but Mathis is the only real FA OG worth mentioning out there, and the longer you wait the greater the chance someone else signs him. Just gotta trust Tannenbaum on this one I guess.. and so far he's earned that trust, but OG is really making me nervous. Potential is one thing, uncertainty at a weak position (for pass blocking) another.

31. jdang307

Nov 29, 2007
    San Diego
    That's why you ring the alarm now ;)

Who at this time is good? If anyone is, they won't likely be around Sept 3.

32. Fin D

Fin D Sigh

Nov 27, 2007
    yes let's talk about what we've both said in the past, like your yearly 5 win season prediction.

33. Pandarilla

Pandarilla Purist Emeritus

Sep 10, 2009
    Boone, NC
    [​IMG]

We here at the Dolphins organization would like to reiterate our faith in our offensive guards...

34. jdang307

Nov 29, 2007
    San Diego
    [​IMG]

35. cbrad

cbrad .

Dec 21, 2014
    Oh man.. that guy was hilarious.

36. Piston Honda

Sep 23, 2014
    That's a fair question. My answer would be yes. Being concerned that the OL wasn't settled during non contact practices is pretty dumb. Though I doubt Jackson got an actual quote on the subject, at least not in the context that's being implied in the article.

37. PhinFan1968

He could be going off the report of RT going to the front office and asking them to sign Mathis...that kinda speaks to a certain level of "concern."

38. Piston Honda

Sep 23, 2014
    Blind pessimism is even worse. I mean we're talking about practice. Not a game. Practice...

And since we all know you don't study 32 teams' offensive line play how about we stop w the worst guard situation in the league stuff.

39. Piston Honda

Sep 23, 2014
    Are you talking about the report that came from Mathis' agent?

40. PhinFan1968

Basically...stories have been made off less.