1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Chris McCain Looks To Grow Into Increased Role

Discussion in 'Miami Dolphins Forum' started by dolfan7171, Jun 30, 2015.

1. dolfan7171

dolfan7171 Well-Known Member

Jun 12, 2009
    Arizona
  2. ckparrothead

ckparrothead Draft Forum Moderator Luxury Box

Dec 1, 2007
    I was extremely bullish last year on him playing exactly the role they have in mind for him, based on his preseason tape. I've looked a little more closely at his preseason work and there's a little more of a coming back to earth sense with him, but still overall positive. This could work out brilliantly.

It's been a while since I felt like Miami had so many positive irons in the fire that could work out tremendously. I'm very bullish on the 4-deep WR unit and think people don't appreciate well enough how good Greg Jennings could be in that unit. I genuinely like Kenny Stills as well and I think DeVante and Jarvis bring good things to the table as well. I've always liked Jordan Cameron though I appreciate the certain forms of risk that his addition bring to the table. I like Ryan Tannehill. I love Jay Ajayi and have always liked Lamar Miller. Ja'Wuan James is one of mine going back for years. Billy Turner is as well. I've always viewed Mike Pouncey to be a top level center prospect, better than his brother, though I have disagreed with some as to how we value that as an asset (a top level center). That doesn't mean I don't love having him on roster come Sunday. Ndamukong Suh was one of the best DLs I've ever seen coming out. Cameron Wake is one of the best pass rushers I've ever seen. There are valid reasons to suspect that Earl Mitchell (second year after a significant free agent contract) and Koa Misi (second year after a significant position switch) could improve greatly in 2015.

Some good things happening on the roster.

Vision, HugeFinFan, jim1 and 8 others like this.
  3. cbrad

cbrad .

Dec 21, 2014
    You didn't mention Jordan Phillips. Deliberate or accidental omission?

I really like Parker, but my grade for this draft is going to come down to whether Phillips was a good choice or not, and maybe if one of the lower rounders pans out.

4. ckparrothead

Dec 1, 2007
    Jordan Phillips is a rookie and not one that I was particularly fond of in the draft. I think the chances are good that you see more of a Paul Soliai type of ascendance which will take time. And that's if he pans out at all. The Dolphins are going to give him a great chance to be special with the things they're doing from a nutrition and training standpoint but he has to meet them halfway on that and then consistently do it over time, not just for one summer.

To some extent I like all three McCains so if any or all of the three pan out well I wouldn't be surprised. I also really like Tony Lippett as a corner as opposed to the people that graded him as a WR coming out. He could end up a superstar due to his combination of intelligence and innate ball skills, and it wouldn't surprise me. However, it would surprise me if that happened any time in year one or two. He's for the long game. I like Terrence Fede and wouldn't be surprised to see him make a difference in some games. Zack Bowman could be significantly better than people think.

Guys I haven't mentioned, it's because I either think what everyone else thinks about them, or I'm not as high on them as everyone else. I'm just saying that there are a lot of guys in there that I feel like there are valid reasons to be bullish on.

5. djphinfan

djphinfan Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Dec 20, 2007
    have not seen you use that ''B'' word before, really enjoy especially when it comes to this kid..

I know he has had issues in the past but i genuinely like this dude...He seems very real to me..I hope he keep his nose clean and works hard.

lol, he just said were gonna be in the afc champ game..I like it, put pressure on himself and the team...

first time I've heard any dolphin at least have the balls to say something like that.

Fin4Ever likes this.
  6. djphinfan

Dec 20, 2007
    and the freakin 'S'' word....alright, now I'm starting to get hyped man.

7. cbrad

cbrad .

Dec 21, 2014
    Yeah but I think the "C" word (could) has to be really emphasized in that sentence with the "S" word. CK gave a fair analysis I think.. most of us are optimistic about this coming season, and there are many low/moderate probability (to succeed) draft picks that have high upside. I asked that Phillips question because that's my biggest concern given he was a 2nd rounder. Thankfully we are deep at DT.

8. rafael

rafael Well-Known Member

Apr 6, 2008
    I have become more bullish on Jennings than when he was first signed. I always liked him, but expected limited opportunities with an expected emphasis on Landry and Parker. I saw Jennings and Stills battling for opportunities. But with the Parker and Stills injuries and how good Jennings has looked in camp I wouldn't be surprised if Landry and Jennings get the most consistent looks with Stills and Parker chiming in with a few big games. And I don't mean that as a knock on Stills or Parker. I like there skill sets a ton. I see them as good all around but with a a couple of unique skills (speed and size respectively). I can just envision Landry and Jennings being the go to guys more easily, especially early on. Later in the season I expect there will be increased emphasis on using Stills and Parker due to their skill set. I really see that four deep group as just a perfect fit.

Fin4Ever and Pandarilla like this.
  9. Fin D

Fin D Sigh

Nov 27, 2007
    I feel like this is the type of WR corp Philbin has wanted since day one.

DOLPHAN1 and djphinfan like this.
  10. ckparrothead

Dec 1, 2007
    We are now, with C.J. Mosley. But I think no matter what they say publicly or even privately, Mosley is here because they don't know if they can count on Earl Mitchell or Jordan Phillips. They wanted to add another known quantity to the mix and they certainly don't mind screwing over Anthony Johnson or A.J. Francis to do it.

11. ckparrothead

Dec 1, 2007
    I think Kenny Stills is a guy whose usage could get driven downward pretty easily because part of his function is just being able to run and stretch the defense. They'll put in plays for him and give him his opportunities, but he's going to have to be really efficient if he wants big numbers. Luckily I think he has the talent to do exactly that.

Fin4Ever likes this.
  12. Brasfin

Brasfin Well-Known Member

Apr 27, 2013
    Brazil
    I know I'm in the minority here— and I'm usually pretty optimistic anyway— but if things go our way injury-wise (knock on wood), I can see a 2009 Jets type of season, heck maybe even a 2007 Giants season. :lol:

Fin4Ever likes this.
  13. dolfan7171

dolfan7171 Well-Known Member

Jun 12, 2009
    Arizona
    I'm with you on that. I could see the Dolphins going really deep.

14. DolphinGreg

DolphinGreg Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Dec 7, 2014
    I completely agree. I think this offense has 1 very safe option in Landry, a couple of good-size outside options who may be limited to possession roles (Jennings, Parker) and then a couple X-factors in Stills being speed out wide and Cameron being speed/size inside.

The X-factor that is more easy to integrate will obviously be Cameron. He's got the size and the match-ups to help Tannehill out quite a bit where as Stills, as you recognize, will have limited options and will mostly function as an intermediate and deep target.

My only worry is that the offense tends toward the conservative and devolves into 3 possession receivers (Jennings, Parker, Cameron) and the same slot guy we had last year. We could very easily see that equate to more or less the same thing production-wise as what we had in 2014 if the offense doesn't find a way to create the big plays it was missing. That's where I think Cameron, Parker and Stills will need to produce some big plays--but the limiting factor might be the QB who has yet to show he's the kind of guy to push the ball down-field on a regular basis.

At the end of the day, the weapons will likely do their thing just fine. We simply have too much to be worrying about either quantity or quality at this point. I have to believe it's going to come down to how efficient Tannehill is and how well he can be taking his game to a more aggressive level. He's got the efficiency thing down. The next step is something he's not well-known for.

djphinfan likes this.
  15. Pandarilla

Pandarilla Purist Emeritus

Sep 10, 2009
    Boone, NC
    [​IMG]

McCain! Chief wants to see you in his office immediately...

16. djphinfan

Dec 20, 2007
    yeah I disagree with those who think that if we have our qb play at the same rate, with our new weapons were good to go, Of course with the talent additions i believe his stats will improve simply based on better athletes doing something with the ball, but were gonna need him to see things downfield better and throw and follow through towards the target completely, when I see that right hand finishing towards the target fully we'll see better accuarcy on those deeper throws.

17. djphinfan

Dec 20, 2007
    lol, were completely off topic..sorry.

chris mccain, can he make us forget about dion, or better yet, can he inspire dion.

18. PhinFan1968

PhinFan1968 To 2020, and BEYOND! Club Member

That's the thing with how I see "if he has the same year." There's several drops last year from a few guys that we WON'T see this year (Hartline had a few killers including a sure TD, Gibson dropped a decent shot at TD right in the breadbasket, Sims bobble-to-INT vs the Raiders and dropped SURE TD against the Jills), given the same pass. There's a deep receiver who's shown he CAN adjust to a ball and maintain positional advantage on a slightly off deep ball. I expect Lamar's drops to reduce slightly, he keeps working hard and improving.

Had those not happened last year, you're talking 4400 yards, 4 or 5 more TDs, and an over 100 passer rating for the passing offense...RT did his part.

Not saying he's perfect, he certainly has a few weaknesses that need improvement...but his year was better than the stats.

If Chris McCain is on with his prediction, that unit will have to be better overall than it was in 2014...no doubt. And by all counts, it appears they will. I fully expect McCain to have that starting spot with Misi and Jenkins...and that is a welcome sight IMO. The kid just seems to have too much talent to keep him bottled up (especially for a UDFA). This unit should be able to eat...and eat often.

19. Pandarilla

Pandarilla Purist Emeritus

Sep 10, 2009
    Boone, NC
    I'm thinking our RB's will create lots of confusion and space for our wide receivers to be able to make big plays and vice versa. Ajayi in motion out of the backfield is gonna be deadly...

20. DolphinGreg

Dec 7, 2014
    Aw...isn't that cute...someone still acting like Dion Jordan is coming back! ;)

21. DolphinGreg

Dec 7, 2014
    Hey, why not? I'm thrilled with our RB depth at the moment. I think Damien Williams is being HIGHLY under-estimated by the fans. He could very well wind up sharing time with Lamar Miller the way he played last year. Williams caught the ball really well out of the back-field and showed explosive ability after-the-catch. He's a tough guy to tackle which makes it even better. He simply doesn't like to go to the ground which makes him a dangerous receiving option.

Ajayi might be getting a bit too much love in all honesty. I don't see him having an unbelievable rookie year but the important thing is he's here and he fits what we do. I'm very excited to see that we have 3 valuable guys and not 1 and 1/2 like last year.

Oh, and Daniel Thomas is gone. That's REALLY important, too! ;)

22. djphinfan

Dec 20, 2007
    Until he's he's an official crack addict or on another team I'll keep some hope alive for this dude..he had a horrid childhood.