1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

What are you expecting/looking for in Training Camp

Discussion in 'Miami Dolphins Forum' started by dolfan7171, Jun 29, 2015.

1. dolfan7171

dolfan7171 Well-Known Member

Jun 12, 2009
    Arizona
    Tell me what you want to see in Training Camp in late July. What are you excited about? Give me the hopes and what you don't want to see. Position battle? Favorite something you looking forward to watch? Basically, say something and lets discuss/debate about. I am going to put in my thoughts too on the subject.

Clark Kent likes this.
  2. Ohio Fanatic

Ohio Fanatic Twuaddle or bust Club Member

Nov 26, 2007
    Concord, MA
    no injuries. Our depth has improved, but still not to the point we can afford to lose any starters for an extended period.

beyond that, just looking for Jennings, Stills, Parker (eventually) and Cameron to get used to playing in this offense. although Jennings probably has a lot more familiarity than the others.

SICK likes this.
  3. Clark Kent

Clark Kent Fighter of the Nightman

May 9, 2008
    My top 3 things, I'd like to see are...

1). Ryan Tannehill continue to have great outings day in and out.

2). The LB Corps stepping up in a big way. Luc, Hull, and Vigil are the three guys I'm keeping my eyes on. All UDFA, but they all have talent and were productive in college. Would love it if at LEAST 1/3 showed major signs of being a future star(ter).

3). The DB's outside of Grimes and Jones stepping up. We've got a bunch of DB's on this roster. Can anyone secure the #2 CB role? What about the battle for nickle and dime DB's? Tony Lippett continuing his OTA showings and getting on the path of becoming our Richard Sherman...

My big 3. Offensive line didn't make the cut because it's going to be a disaster and I'm not even going to get my hopes up with those guys.

4. djphinfan

djphinfan Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Dec 20, 2007
    left guard competition

chris mccain

rookie flashes.

Pandarilla, cbrad and invid like this.
  5. dolfan7171

Jun 12, 2009
    Arizona
    I feel ya. I want them to be as healthy as possible. This team could go far this season with good health. Good post.

Ohio Fanatic and Fin4Ever like this.
  6. dolfan7171

Jun 12, 2009
    Arizona
    I loved that you broke it down like that. There is so much to see I'm camp. I wish I lived in Miami so I can see this in person but I live in Phoenix though. Love that post.

Clark Kent and Fin4Ever like this.
  7. dolfan7171

Jun 12, 2009
    Arizona
    I want to see the WR's go at it for starting spots. There is some highlight reels in the making there. I want to see Tannehill do better than he did in mini-camp. He did great and I want to see him do even better.

8. RoninFin4

RoninFin4 Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Dec 11, 2007
    Cincinnati, Ohio
    1) How much the staff does/doesn't mix and match players on the O-line. They've already started working Jeff Linkenbach into 1st team RG snaps (bad) and they've already started working Jamil Douglas into 1st team LG snaps (probably good). Curious to see just how many guys they actually try and rotate through those spots. Also curious to see if they try anyone else at LT other than Jason Fox until Branden Albert returns. The staff shot themselves in the foot multiple times last year with respect to the O-line. Hopefully they don't do it as often...because they will do it at some point.

2) How quickly Tannehill and the new skill position arsenal - Ajayi, Cameron, Jennings, Parker and Stills - mesh into the offense and click with Ryan Tannehill.

3) Monitoring players coming off of/battling injuries. Branden Albert, Louis Delmas and DeVante Parker primarily.

4) How quickly some of the younger defensive players step into their roles. Bobby McCain, Chris McCain and Jamar Taylor are notable (I think Bobby McCain could prove valuable as a slot CB and kick/punt returner). Also interested to see what Walt Aikens brings after the coaches have talked him up so far this offseason.

5) Position Battles: RB2, LG, RG, SLB, RCB, slot CB.

6) Caleb Sturgis and his improved kickball prowess and/or other kickers getting involved.

7) Jeff Luc. There's so much hype for him on this board and not much in the way of substance during his college career. There's substance, just not much, IMO. I want to see if he's worth the fuss or if Zach Vigil or Mike Hull are better. I'd think 1 of the 3 makes the team, and gun to my head right now, I'm betting my money on Vigil.

8) Jordan Phillips. I should probably have him higher on this list, but I hope we hear reports of him flashing in camp. I'll be concerned if he doesn't, especially with the guards that Miami has.

9. dolfan7171

Jun 12, 2009
    Arizona
    Love the post my man! You make a good point on Phillips. If he is the real deal, I want to see it now. I want him to prove he belongs here.

Fin4Ever likes this.
  10. Fin4Ever

Fin4Ever Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Aug 26, 2014
    Vero Beach, FL
    I am looking forward to the grind and team bonding first and foremost in training camp, so in no particular order...

1) I am looking forward to the offensive line being set early where these guys all learn each other, and learn each other's moves where they become cohesive working together, getting a strong chemistry together and play them in position and leave them there..kudos to Jason Fox..I am so happy that we have him and am happy at how hard he will practice knowing that when Albert is ready,his work is done..for a long while I hope only because I want our OLine to stay healthy..I also like Jamil allot..He may win at LG, we will see...and no injuries to our line for once..I believe they CAN be a strong unit and they are vital to our success as a team...Get behind them FANS !

2) I am looking forward to our WR's being in sync with Ryan from the get go. I want to see crisp routes and great catching...which I think we can call them the all hands team. I am hoping that DeVante can get back with the team in late training camp or pre season so he can get in game shape and get the timing down with Ryan..I am so glad that we signed Greg Jennings. I am looking forward to being the leader of the group which he says how bad he wants to mentor,as well as I cannot wait to see cohesiveness with him and Ryan..huge get for the WR room. I look to see Landry continue being Landry along with the growth he will show and I am excited to see him get deep with Ryan..trust me guys..Landry can get deep. I look for Kenny Stills and Ryan Tannehill to get and stay on the same page and I think that we will see some beautiful long balls this year as well as crossing,sideline etc. I look for a clear cut five to be ready at any moment to come into the game and produce and we have those guys on the roster...I look for Jordan and Tannehill to hook up early and often on seams,crossovers, and in the RZ. I am also looking for the continued growth of Sims and he and Ryan growing more together this year and I want to see a clear cut third tight end fight for and win the spot that is there for the taking.

3) I look forward to continued growth by Ryan Tannehill this year and just want him to takeover this offense and lead them to victory, which I think we will see a big jump in his game here. I look forward to he,the WR's,TE's,and RB's to all be on the same page from early in camp all the way through. I want to see him able to feel the rush coming and when to get the heck out of the pocket and run. I want to see him get several more RO opportunities per game because to me it seems an easy way to gain a quick and easy 20-40 yards and it will also keep defenses on their toes and confused as to what the heck we will run next. And, continue learning from Marino,which I think has been a huge help to Ryan thus far. Finally, I want to see him lead us to victories and lead us into the Playoffs with some playoff success and if things go strongly in our favor, maybe to the ultimate prize,if not this year, then next..but we need to get a playoff victory under this team's belt.

4) Running Backs, I want to see Lamar continue to grow and have an even better year this year and be signed to his second contract with us.I am excited to see what Ajayi brings to the team and hope he is good as advertised.I want to see Williams continue to grow and get more opportunities this year.And, I want to see a clear cut winner with no question win the fourth RB job.

Defense...ahhh Defense.

1) Wow Suh & Wake....whew...I want to see our DLine just play great,solid,football and create terror in the opponent. I want the opposing QB so confused and rattled that he just throws picks, or is sacked when they see Wake,Suh,Mitchell,&Vernon coming after them with nowhere to turn..I also want to see everyone of our DE's, and DT's come off of the bench with no letdown. I want to see Fede get allot more looks this year along with Shelby doing the Same..I want to see OV just take over some games and be signed to an extension..He is only 24 and I want to see him become a premier player for us..I want to see Jordan Phillips shine big-time for us.I also want to see one or two of our depth DT's take the next step.

2) Line Backers...I want to see the LB group gel together and play great football for us.. I want to see McCain step in big-time and win the Sam job. I want to see Jenkins grow and get much better this year at Will. I want to see fire,passion,and fight for the MLB spot. Can Misi stay healthy? I want to see growth in his second year at this spot or will Tripp or one of the UDFA's win a job here? I want to see Tripp and all of the new linebackers shine in training camp as I feel strongly that our LB unit can,become a really great group,both first and second teamers playing great..We could eventually end up with one of the better units in the league.

3) DB's...I want to see a competitive camp for this unit..tight races for all spots..I want to see Grimes be Grimes..I want to see if Taylor is as ready as I think he is for #2 CB. I can't wait to see Reshad' s game this year as he becomes one of Top 5 safeties in the League... I want to see a healthy camp and season for Delmas..I want to see solid play out of our slot corner and a great camp battle to be starter and I want to see all of our young DB's have great co.petition and most to make the team.

ST's...I want to see fierce competition in our ST unit to win jobs and keep them..I want to see great improvement in this area of our team. I want to see Fields get back to why he is so highly paid,which I believe he will. Can we please,please, find a kicker that can stay healthy and who wants the job, that can send kicks out of the end zone,and be an very accurate FG and XP kicker? Just overall great play out of this unit is a must in the game of field position and TO's.

Last but not Least, I want to see all of our coaches extremely dedicated to our players...make sure they are coaching them up and getting the best out of each and every player and to play the best players at each position rather the player is in his first year or not. And, I want to see the Growth in Philbin this year to see if he is our long term coach or not.

This is what I want to see in Training Camp and 2015... Let's Go Fins !!!!

Pandarilla and cbrad like this.
  11. dolfan7171

Jun 12, 2009
    Arizona
    Man that's a great post. Talking about breaking it down!! You need a job working for the Dolphins in some way. Anyway, I love everything you had to say about this subject. You gave me a visual which basically hyped me up for the season. There is something from each unit that I want to see. There is so much room for growth both now and during the season.

12. Fin4Ever

Aug 26, 2014
    Vero Beach, FL
    Thank you for such nice compliments. I love the Dolphins from 6 in 66 to almost 55 in 15...I would have been even more thorough on the defensive side of the ball but my fingers started to get tired..Lol...I am a slow Typer and it makes it even harder to do on my cell phone.:up:

13. dolfan7171

Jun 12, 2009
    Arizona
    Hey speed is not an issue. I like what you and many here have to say. I learn a lot from you all and it makes me more serious about my Dolphins. So I say thank you for the comments you and so many others here say. I do appreciate it.

Fin4Ever likes this.
  14. Pandarilla

Pandarilla Purist Emeritus

Sep 10, 2009
    Boone, NC
    I want to see the rookies band together against hazing. I want to see the rooks gang up on the ringleaders for some exponential payback.

I want to see our boys make use of that SEAL training they got and commandeer Ross' helicopter to free political prisoners in Cuba...and again in N. Korea during pro bowl week.

I want to see Chris McCain make the ultimate team sacrifice by sequestering himself in a sensory deprivation tank with magic mushrooms and actually turn into a hybrid animal. We'd have to work out a deal with the local zoo prior to said transformation, but I wanna see it happen.

I want to find out that Devante's surgery was actually to remove bone spurs on the side of his feet where crude wings were trying to form and sprout.

I want to see Jay Ajayi rap battle Busta Rhymes in a British accent...and win!

I want to hear that Suh's roommate at camp keeps wetting his bed.

I want to hear that Lippet is intercepting everything...from passes to phone numbers meant for other dudes to towels at the camp dorms.

I wanna see Reshad wearing a pair of mirrored aviators under his helmet. So when he makes a play he can write them a citation afterwards.

Oh, and the guards...gotta see if they're worth a Damn.

Fin4Ever likes this.
  15. dolfan7171

Jun 12, 2009
    Arizona
    LOL. Well, lets make it happen!!![emoji1]

Pandarilla likes this.
  16. Pandarilla

Pandarilla Purist Emeritus

Sep 10, 2009
    Boone, NC
    ...oh, and a new chin implant for Philbin

[​IMG]

17. Fin4Ever

Aug 26, 2014
    Vero Beach, FL
    You're welcome..anytime I can be of help pm me if you want. I love your enthusiasm and Love for the Dolphins. Don't worry, we will bring the Lombardi back to Miami where it belongs.