1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Prisco's most overrated and underrated of each team.

Discussion in 'Miami Dolphins Forum' started by djphinfan, Jun 26, 2015.

1. djphinfan

djphinfan Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Dec 20, 2007
    Overrated

underrated.

http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/writer...32-teams-32-players-who-are-good----not-great

2. PhinFan1968

PhinFan1968 To 2020, and BEYOND! Club Member

Quick look at other AFC East overrateds:

Is OV gonna make him look like he's washed up? I sure hope so.

Maybe tough on returns...but take-away/defend the jet sweep and meh...

More OV fodder? One can only hope...

3. Disgustipate

Disgustipate Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Nov 25, 2007
    Pretty remarkably spot-on, especially for Pete Prisco.

Pouncey is badly overrated, and his contract's an abomination. He's not an elite center, he's a guy that does one part of the job(blocking in space) at an elite level. He had an awful year at Guard this year, but you can't really just write it off as that because he's gotten abused plenty of times vs. the elite competition you expect him to stalemate at Center.

padre31 likes this.
  4. PhinFan1968

PhinFan1968 To 2020, and BEYOND! Club Member

And a look at other AFC East underrateds:

Solid player. Usually hear his name a good bit. He'll have a hard time with our weapons though IMO.

Prisco's confused...ALL their linebackers know the calls...it's how BB coaches...if they don't, they don't see the field. Good player though, ya.

Music to the ears.

5. Ronnie Bass

Ronnie Bass Luxury Box Luxury Box

Dec 19, 2007
    I remember a time Prisco was considered a hater of Miami, he sure don't anymore

6. Mcduffie81

Mcduffie81 Wildcat Club Member

Mar 23, 2008
    Lake Worth, Fl.
    Well the coaches on this team who work with him year in and year out, review and grade every single play of his multiple times a year and know on any given play what his exact responsibility is and isn't disagree with you and Prisco.

Piston Honda likes this.
  7. RoninFin4

RoninFin4 Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Dec 11, 2007
    Cincinnati, Ohio
    I remember during the Draft during his instant analysis he gave Miami A's for both the DeVante Parker and Jordan Phillips selections.

As far as overrated and underrated; I think Pouncey is a fair shout. Ironically, I think you could put Olivier Vernon in the overrated category as well. My choice for underrated would have been Reshad Jones or Lamar Miller.

Ronnie Bass likes this.
  8. Disgustipate

Nov 25, 2007
    Coaches and front office types make a lot of bad decisions, and there's easily enough bad decisions made in the NFL that this kind of appeal to authority doesn't make much sense.

If you wanna watch it on NFL Rewind, you can pretty easily watch him get the **** kicked out of him by a handful of top interior technique guys. Start with Haloti Ngata, it won't take long considering you've got games starting with Pouncey failing on back to back plays on the opening series.

gunn34 and djphinfan like this.
  9. Brasfin

Brasfin Well-Known Member

Apr 27, 2013
    Brazil
    OV may be overrated by Dolphins fans but he's not that well known on a national level, so I don't think he qualifies for the overrated list. I think Pouncey really is the one guy closest to the overrated label that we have. I think we can make a case for a lot of underrated players besides the ones you already stated: Greg Jennings, Branden Albert (when healthy), Tannehill, even Wake.

10. Pandarilla

Pandarilla Purist Emeritus

Sep 10, 2009
    Boone, NC
    Lamar Miller is my choice for underrated.

You could've done much worse than Pouncey for overrated. Hickey outdid himself, though, and pretty much got rid of all the overrated guys.

11. djphinfan

Dec 20, 2007
    been actually hearing his name a lot amongst the national pundits..when they talk suh they usually mention cam wake and olivier vernon on the dline, he's got peoples attention..hes real young, real strong, and plays the game pretty well., theres upside left.

Pandarilla likes this.
  12. Pandarilla

Sep 10, 2009
    Boone, NC
    OV is a 24 year old Ogunleye who stands the most to gain in notoriety this year. People forget how freakishly athletic he is. Remember the time he actually leapfrogged the Jets offensive lineman, land and then hop again to block that kick his rookie year.

You think about adding Chris McCain and it has me thinking of the early years of dominance with Zach and JT when they still had Lorenzo Bromell. I actually heard someone mention today they think the defense will still be middling. Just complete delusion. This D and O are poised to be well above average.

13. djphinfan

Dec 20, 2007
    ov is way better than bromell, but with Mccains natural pass rush ability, Ov and Wake putting on the jets from the perimeter, Suh blowing sh^5 up in the middle, we have a chance to be better than any of those defenses from a pass rush perspective..and a run stopping one as well, hell better overall imo..but I was never honestly a big fan of that defense thought it had flaws..

Suh changes everything Rilla, the potential of jamar taylor, and the athleticism of Chris mccain on the field, Reshad jones hunting the box, grimes on lock down..we can do this.

14. Fin D

Fin D Sigh

Nov 27, 2007
    All you gotta do is Suhlieve.

evz, MikeHoncho and Pandarilla like this.
  15. Fin4Ever

Fin4Ever Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Aug 26, 2014
    Vero Beach, FL
    And Luc patrolling the middle

16. Pandarilla

Sep 10, 2009
    Boone, NC
    Just using Bromell as a time period reference...but yeah, the guarded optimism seems completely unfounded in regards to this defense.

17. djphinfan

Dec 20, 2007
    he's our andrew luck, I believe he does the ultimate most valuable thing a defender can do, make every other player have to cover less space..

Fin4Ever likes this.
  18. Pandarilla

Sep 10, 2009
    Boone, NC
    How long has that been in the holster?

19. slickj101

slickj101 Is Water

Dec 21, 2007
    NY
    People love to **** on Pouncey.

He's not the brightest but playing out of position after hip surgery while dealing w kidney stones was a little less than ideal.

20. djphinfan

Dec 20, 2007

man...I know this kid has all the physical tools, i know he's got an incredible genetic build for the mike position, he's like a thick vontae davis body, he's got speed, such underrated speed, can really fly when he wants to open up..hits with force, cognizant of stripping the ball, theres got to be something I'm missing on this prospect to like him like I do and have him go undrafted, now it may be what Ro said, he's got a slow processor, in fact it has to be that because the rest of the stuff he has is first round talent..its driving me crazy this one.

Fin4Ever likes this.
  21. Mcduffie81

Mar 23, 2008
    Lake Worth, Fl.
    So you've seen a center get beat by a 350lb gazelle, possible HoFer? Color me shocked!

Fin4Ever likes this.
  22. MikeHoncho

MikeHoncho -=| Censored |=-

Nov 13, 2009
    That almost sounds pharmaceutical.

"Ask you doctor if Suhlieve™ is right for you. Please seek help for erections lasting longer than 4 hours. Common side effects include headache, flushing, nasal stuffiness, stomach upset, heartburn, runny nose, dizziness, or nausea, and in rare cases severe depression. Please consult your doctor before taking Suhlieve™."

[​IMG]

Suhlieve™: "get up and take it!"

EverFin, gunn34, jedburg and 9 others like this.
  23. Fin D

Fin D Sigh

Nov 27, 2007
    typed it when I thought it

Pandarilla and Fin4Ever like this.
  24. roy_miami

roy_miami Well-Known Member

Oct 11, 2013
    How sick would it be if Misi can't even crack the starting lineup? I predict McCain is about to breakout and become everything we hoped Jordan would be when we took him third overall. Tripp flashed during preseason, him and Jenkins will be locked into competition for the weak side spot. If Luc dominates in preseason I could see him squeezing Misi out of the starting MLB job. And this joint practice could be his proving ground.

Fin4Ever likes this.
  25. Fin4Ever

Aug 26, 2014
    Vero Beach, FL
    Well in the games I watched him in he seemed ok...rember he was not a starter except for 1-2years in college..he lookef better every game I saw, you could actually tell that he was getting better...I think he will turn out as a real steal for us...I mean the other 3 are decent as is Tripp

26. DolphinGreg

DolphinGreg Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Dec 7, 2014
    I do agree that Pouncey is over-rated amongst the Dolphins fan-base, which it seems to me hypes him up every chance they get. I think Pouncey is a great example of how some reliability and consistency can make you into a hero on an underachieving team. I heard the same sort of talk about Davone Bess being an elite slot receiver and now he's a distant memory. At this point, Pouncey has a solid rookie year, 2 above-average years and 1 lost year to his name. Ironically, he made the Pro Bowl as an alternate last year which is really not fair but that brings his tally to 2. The downside is that he had at least some involvement or knowledge of the bullying situation that took place, which is disappointing from a leadership perspective. All in all, he's a good zone-blocking center who doesn't appear to have incredible versatility but can be counted on to fulfill his obligations and give you above-average production at Center.

As far as Olivier Vernon is concerned, I'm not sure he's all that under-rated. If you're interested in why the national media doesn't talk more about Olivier Vernon it's because (1) Cam Wake is better but (2) he's only had 1 outstanding year so far and he failed to follow that up. Vernon was a mid-round pick in 2012. He had a pretty ho-hum rookie year followed by an outstanding 2013 before falling back to Earth and having what I would call a solid 2014. To be clear, Vernon has 21.5 sacks in 48 total games for an average of 7.2 per year. That's not remarkable for a full-time DE. If you're interested in dumping his rookie season (2012), I understand, but why the decrease in production between 2013 and 2014 where he went from 57 tackles and 11.5 sacks down to 46 tackles and just 6.5 sacks? So how good is Olivier Vernon? I don't think he's good enough to be nationally-recognized unless he really comes on strong in 2015. He's never missed a game (knock on wood) so if he stays healthy, you'd certainly think he'd be capable of having another 10+ sack year.

I can't really think of any truly under-rated Dolphins though, so I'll accept Prisco's offer. If Grimes is in the NFL's top-50 he's really not under-rated, but I suspect that many fans don't realize what a luxury he is to Kevin Coyle and this team in general. To have a CB that can follow around Calvin Johnson and AJ Green is not something more than 2-3 teams in the NFL really have. If Grimes were to go down...ugh...I don't even want to think about it.

gunn34 and djphinfan like this.
  27. djphinfan

Dec 20, 2007
    and like my sons says every time he hears one of those commercials, hey dad, make sure your heart is healthy enough for sex..he's 11.

28. djphinfan

Dec 20, 2007
    i won't go that far because I know this staff is fond of misi and it is his 2nd year at the position so I'm sure they will give him the chance to start, I just wanna see real flashes in preseason games, so I know he's there, ready to kill if Misi fails or gets injured..

So your a fan of Luc as well Roy?

29. dolfan7171

dolfan7171 Well-Known Member

Jun 12, 2009
    Arizona
    I think Pouncey is a good center but not elite. To be honest, I think his twin brother is better than him but not by much. That being said I think he can be very good for us for a very long time. I just don't see him moving to the elite ranks. I hope I'm wrong though.

30. Disgustipate

Nov 25, 2007
    A stalemate against Haloti Ngata should be your expectation for a player of Pounceys billing. Not to mention Jay Ratliff, Brodrick Bunkley, [insert Jets NT here] and the others that have given Pouncey notably bad games.

gunn34 likes this.
  31. dolfan7171

dolfan7171 Well-Known Member

Jun 12, 2009
    Arizona
    I'm hoping he has been working on his game to overcome this. We need Him to step up his play. It will make the line that much better.

gunn34 and Fin4Ever like this.
  32. Mcduffie81

Mar 23, 2008
    Lake Worth, Fl.
    Have you thought maybe his run blocking ability is vital to what we want to do? He is billed as an ultra athletic center although maybe a bit light in the pants.

I did see him get beat quite a few time. I recall Suh abusing him.....compare the salaries.

33. Fin4Ever

Aug 26, 2014
    Vero Beach, FL
    Yes Gus you would be right if we were an power I team, but we are not.As you know, in a ZBS you have to have quick,strong linemen that can pull. They have to be very athletic at their position which Pouncy is. Now, while Miami runs there offense with the ZBS we have the perfect center for that scheme. He is easily top three in the league in this scheme. I don't like allot of things he has done in his past,his actions,etc. But at some point, and I think that is now, he will(is) mature(ing). So if he does that, and becomes a leader on this line.....then I like our Chances.

EverFin likes this.