1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Thought this was interesting/cool...........

Discussion in 'History Forum' started by unluckyluciano, Jun 16, 2015.

1. unluckyluciano

unluckyluciano For My Hero JetsSuck

Dec 7, 2007
    http://www.washingtonpost.com/world/middle_east/israeli-archaeologists-find-inscription-of-name-from-bible/2015/06/16/5c1e7c44-141a-11e5-8457-4b431bf7ed4c_story.html

Ohiophinphan likes this.
  2. Ohiophinphan

Ohiophinphan Chaplain Staff Member Luxury Box

It is amazing that you can't dig a hole for any purpose in Israel without hitting something of value. This is an interesting find, thanks for posting it.

unluckyluciano likes this.
  3. unluckyluciano

Dec 7, 2007
    from what I know a lot of these finds are pretty rare. Pretty interesting stuff.

4. Ohiophinphan

Ohiophinphan Chaplain Staff Member Luxury Box

A find of this magnitude IS rare, indeed very rare. And most of the best stuff is found in formal excavations. But Israel has been continuously inhabited for 10,000 years or more. The cultures and civilizations are layered over each other like a cake. It is hard not to find ground where something important didn't once stand.

On my one visit there we had walked down "the valley of the shadow of death" which is Wadi Qelt, a dry riverbed from Jerusalem to Jericho. At the bottom or Jericho end there was a "Tell". Those are mounds created by the layers of repeated human habitation. I asked the professor leading the group what it was and he said matter of factly it was the site of one of Herod's fortresses and the site of the Roman base camp for the invasion and destruction of Jerusalem. In shock, I asked what the excavation had revealed and he shrugged and said, no one had gotten around to that site yet. It was in the Palestinian territory and a bit removed from easy digging. So there is simply a banana grove on it now! Unbelievable.

Fin4Ever and unluckyluciano like this.
  5. unluckyluciano

Dec 7, 2007
    hmmmmmmm sounds like something I need to read about more. It's always been a bit crazy to me how much red tape exists for digging up our history.

Fin4Ever and Ohiophinphan like this.