1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Turn: Washington Spies

Discussion in 'TV, Music and Movies' started by jdallen1222, Jun 7, 2015.

1. jdallen1222

jdallen1222 Well-Known Member

May 31, 2013
    Plantation, Fl
    Anyone watch the AMC show Turn on Monday nights? I love history so this show is right up my alley. It's set during the American Revolutionary war period. As far as history goes it's not historically accurate, but the show does a really great job of putting you in that time period. They can they can be a little over dramatic at times, but I'm hooked. Season one is on Netflix, season two ends in a week or two. Heather Lind is a babe.

2. jdallen1222

May 31, 2013
    Plantation, Fl
    Only place I can find to talk about this show is reddit, someone else please watch it lol.

padre31 likes this.
  3. Bruzer

Bruzer New Member

Nov 27, 2007
    Idaho
    I definitely watch it, I haven't missed an episode I really like it.

4. jdallen1222

May 31, 2013
    Plantation, Fl
    Sweet. Have you warmed up to Major Hewlitt this season? First season I saw him as an immovable prick, but he's got some depth now, even before he was captured. I definately don't see him surviving the winter Han Solo style, but he does appear to be more human after the telescope scene with Anna. Now I admire his unflinching dedication to what he believes in, regardless of what side he is on. I hope Anna gives him something, just to spite Simcoe and relish in her mantle as the town whore. I feel the opposite with Simcoe, I loved him as a villain in season one, but now he just appears to me as a spoiled child(since meeting Andre and taking over the Queen's Rangers), unchallenged in his role. You killed an informant, with no discipline in front of those officers almost on impulse alone, how the **** do you get a promotion or at least a linear role? It was good to see him struggle with a superior, but now that dynamic is gone, who's gonna challenge him or keep him in check? That clerk scene where he spills the ink while watching soldiers march around outside in Philadelphia was brilliant, I actually felt a little sympathy for him and wanted him to get back in the field. But now, he's like a rich kid running amuck with his parents debit card and kinda ruins the bad guy dynamic for me. Also, General Washington. Everytime he talks, it sounds purposefully paced, like he is reading poetry, or trying to be portrayed romantically. That **** doesn't work. Talk like a normal ****ing person. Maybe that's the directors way of trying to convey the charisma he had?

5. Bruzer

Bruzer New Member

Nov 27, 2007
    Idaho
    I didn't mind Hewlitt before he was kind of a hardass but there was a tone of a bit of honor behind him none the less. I think I like him more now just due to the fact he pisses off Simcoe lol. I will say I think I also like him just because more likely spying works out under his less attentive guard almost. While Simcoe makes everyones life a living hell.

As far as Simcoe he was a alright Villian but I wanted him dead a long time ago lol, he has gotten a bit more childish almost but I think that's due to his obsession with Anna which will likely be his undoing by the end of things. He's a ruthless and damn good killer but his weakness seems to be her and will be likely used to the advantage more later.

I think the queens ranger who was damn near killed towards the end there could very well also play a role in the down fall of Simcoe.

I guess I didn't notice the speaking but yea I think it's because they are trying to make him that charismatic leader we all hear about. Also I can't say how he really spoke because I actually don't know alot on Washington and far less than I should considering I like history but my history love starts farther back.

As for a few other characters, for the most part I really like Anna's character, the wife (i can't remember her name) is okay drives me nuts sometimes. The dad is a good actor really enjoyed his part so far and will be interesting if he every starts to turn his thought process or if he will be killed off.

As for the main character, really liking the actor at first I wasn't sure what to think of him but after a few episodes I really liked him and hes played the role about as good as to be expected.

All in all I really like the twist and turns in the series, keeps me guessing, I like history and overall good acting so definitely worth a watch and hope it keeps up the solid pace.

6. jdallen1222

May 31, 2013
    Plantation, Fl
    First season I loved to hate Simcoe, now I'm starting to like hating Abe's father. What a douche. The tension between him and Abe is growing, but I don't see him changing sides. He's too far up Hewlitt's *** to realize anything else around him, I'm surprised he survived being shot. Also, how does Simcoe survive being ambushed and stabbed in the gut? Wasn't a wound like that almost always fatal due to infection or sepsis? Ben should have offed him like he promised Abe and Anna, but history tells us he survives the war and becomes a founding father in a Canadian town. One of the things I really appreciate about the show is how both sides of the belligerents are portrayed. Both sides have people that seem commendable, and not being portrayed as good vs evil. Remember the soldier Baker that was quartered in Abe's house in season one, he seemed to be likeable, I was sure he would turn or was already involved with the rebel cause. One episode in the first season shows him eating with the left hand, after it was already explained proper British etiquette was to eat with the established dominant right hand. Curveball I guess.

7. Bruzer

Bruzer New Member

Nov 27, 2007
    Idaho
    I do agree I like the portrayal of the gray area because in war there is good and bad on both sides and makes a much more compelling story.

Will be interesting to see how they end the season which we will know soon enough.

8. jdallen1222

May 31, 2013
    Plantation, Fl

I hope it's not a cliffhanger, but they gotta do something exciting to get renewed. Maybe a hopeful glimpse into a major battle? They haven't really had any full scale war scenes. Maybe that is due to the shows budget, but they gotta give us a major battle scene with square formations vs cavalry, line formations firing onto each other, something to show the scale of the British campaign. Maybe they wait for France to arrive?

9. jdallen1222

May 31, 2013
    Plantation, Fl
    Saw what I wanted to see. I hope they renew for season 3, but if it ended tonight I was definately satisfied.

padre31 likes this.
  10. jdallen1222

May 31, 2013
    Plantation, Fl
    TURN got renewed for a third season.

padre31 likes this.
  11. padre31

padre31 Premium Member Luxury Box

Nov 22, 2007
    inching to 100k posts
    One of my favorite shows

12. jdallen1222

May 31, 2013
    Plantation, Fl
    Anyone watch the season premiere last night?

13. ToddPhin

ToddPhin Premium Member Luxury Box Club Member

Jul 6, 2012
    NC
    No. Love the show but I'm gonna let it build up a few episodes and then catch up. I like bingeing on 3 or 4 at a time.

14. jdallen1222

May 31, 2013
    Plantation, Fl
    Yea, it definitely leaves you wanting more. Not a bad idea.

15. TheHighExhaulted

TheHighExhaulted Well-Known Member

Jan 15, 2008
    That Heather Lind is really something.