1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

How long have you guys been paying fantasy?

Discussion in 'Fantasy Football' started by Unlucky 13, Jun 2, 2015.

1. Unlucky 13

Unlucky 13 Team Raheem Club Member

Apr 24, 2012
    Troy, Virginia
    I started in 1994. That summer, I found my first Fantasy Football preview magazine. I don't remember who the publisher was. It wasn't one of the big ones like Lindy's or Athlon, and the production quality was fairly poor. Mostly black and white on beige paper. However, I do remember that Marino was on the cover, which is what drew my vision to it in the first place. Read it cover to cover and was excited and intrigued about the idea so much that I organized a "league" with three friends for that fall, which was my senior year of HS. This being the age before the internet, I kept all of the stats by hand using the newspaper, a notebook and a calculator. It was a very rough beginning, but I was hooked.

Did something similar the next year when I was in college, but no one cared a fraction about it as much as I did myself, and most guys quit. Then, in 1997, I got my first computer and internet account, and one of the very first things I did was join a random league on Yahoo! From that point through 2000, that's how I did it and cut my teeth, so to speak.

Then in 2001, a friend of mine and I organized a league of 12 people where we worked, still conducting everything online (now ESPN). For a few years, I was able to have a big league full of people I knew in person and mostly saw on a regular basis and it was awesome. Then I moved in 2004, and the league dwindled. Since then, I've continued to run it every year, but only three of us remain from 01 and I'm scrounging to find people to fill it every year. Still chugging along though.

Boik14 likes this.
  2. Boik14

Boik14 Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Nov 28, 2007
    New York
    Since roughly 1998. I do all 4 major sports on a fairly equal playing field. I have to say I enjoy I enjoy basketball and hockey most even though those leagues are generally harder to fill and football is still my actual favorite sport.

Unlucky 13 likes this.
  3. Unlucky 13

Unlucky 13 Team Raheem Club Member

Apr 24, 2012
    Troy, Virginia
    I got back into baseball for the first time in about a decade last year and am glad that I did. Started it years later than football though. I don't care about or follow any sport other than the NFL, college football and MLB, so thats it for me.

4. ToddPhin

ToddPhin Premium Member Luxury Box Club Member

Jul 6, 2012
    NC
    Just started in 2011. Have no idea why I waited so long to get in on the fun. Only play in 2-3 leagues per year.

Unlucky 13 likes this.