1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Armando Salguero: It’s about finishing for Dolphins coach Joe Philbin

Discussion in 'Miami Dolphins Forum' started by Clark Kent, May 27, 2015.

1. Clark Kent

Clark Kent Fighter of the Nightman

May 9, 2008
    http://www.miamiherald.com/sports/spt-columns-blogs/armando-salguero/article22380363.html

Glad to see he's being proactive in trying to keep the team fresher. Apparently even working with his Sports performance crew. I wonder if Lazor ever shared with Philbin any of Chip Kelly's sports science findings? Kelly is blazing that trail. In the end, I don't really know if being tired was the key factor in Miami these last two finishes. In 2013, the offensive line was disastrous and got Tannehill killed in the final two games. One of which (Buffalo) he got hurt. In 2014, the run defense fell apart and the pass defense couldn't make up for Delmas's absence. Not to mention Albert's injury causing more trouble for what was a decent oline.

2. MikeHoncho

MikeHoncho -=| Censored |=-

Nov 13, 2009
    So now there's an article about Philbin's o-face? Good job, Mando. :shifty:
    [​IMG]

Clark Kent likes this.
  3. rafael

rafael Well-Known Member

Apr 6, 2008
    I think that it may have been the opposite. I thought the loss of Delmas resulted in a ton of breakdowns in the secondary that prevented our defense from getting off the field. As a result of that the DL got worn down and the run defense fell apart.

fin13 likes this.
  4. Piston Honda

Piston Honda Well-Known Member

Sep 23, 2014
    Not only Delmas. Finnegan, Taylor, Davis, Thomas, Wilson, Jones, all missed multiple games. IIRC Grimes is the most only back seven guy who stayed healthy, and the even he looked worn towards the end of the season.

5. normaldude

normaldude Active Member

Oct 13, 2009
  6. LBsFinest

LBsFinest Banned

Jul 24, 2012
    Most of those guys suck so it really didn't matter.

7. CrunchTime

CrunchTime Administrator Retired Administrator

Nov 23, 2007
    Lets call a spade a spade.Finnegan looked done half way through the season.Thats the risk you take when you sign a veteran who has been discarded from another team.We saw that with Colledge too.We have resorted to doing that simply because we have been drafting badly until the last couple of years and we simply dont have the depth on the roster.

Delmas on the other hand looks like he may have some mileage in him but how long will it last .Hopefully the whole season.

PhinFan1968 likes this.
  8. Brasfin

Brasfin Well-Known Member

Apr 27, 2013
    Brazil
    IIRC, the Dolphins run defense started its collapse against the Broncos where we surrendered over 200 yards on the ground. The next game versus the Jets, even though we won, we got run all over, giving up over 200 yds once again, if I'm not mistaken. Delmas played both those games, and only got injured the next game against the Ravens... I do think after Delmas went down, the defense hit rock bottom... but to me, that process started in Denver, with Delmas on the field.

9. hatchettjack

hatchettjack Member

Aug 18, 2011
    Philbin seems to have a **** EATIN grin going this year! I think he likes the talent we have!

Sent from my  6+

10. Colmax

Colmax Well-Known Member

Dec 12, 2007
    I think he finally has a roster that's sort of "in his image". He better be happy or he'll be unemployed.....

11. SICK

SICK Lounge Moderator

Nov 29, 2007
    Charlotte NC
    Look I know it's easy to **** on Philbin these days. However, lets think about this in terms of a bank manager, with years of experience as a personal banker. You're primed to take the next step, the bigger role, but when you do...you realize there are a ton of little things you've never had to deal with before; "leadership groups", guys complaining about playing time, dealing with front office, the media, the owner, the fans.....holy ****! All of a sudden you're thrust in front of everyone. You're the face. It's a big deal. Just like with a new bank manager; he will need time to find his place, learn from mistakes, learn his "market", know his "staff", and get the right people to do the right things.

Sure he has questionable game management problems. But if he learns from them, gets better, and continues getting better with his roster handling like hes shown, he may not be so bad. Hope it works out for the guy!

Sceeto likes this.
  12. djphinfan

djphinfan Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Dec 20, 2007
    This is a fascinating topic, philbin changing his practice approach because he thinks his blueprint may of ruined his guys legs? And cause two years of meltdowns....hmmmm, gonna have to think about this one

13. Rocky Raccoon

Rocky Raccoon Greasepaint Ghost Staff Member

Dec 2, 2007
    Jersey
    This is pretty much what I was saying last year.

I like Philbin. I don't think he's the worst thing to ever roam the sidelines like a lot of people do, but he has also been underwhelming to say the least.

He does seem to be open to trying new things. The defense certainly faded hard down the stretch last year and I think injury and fatigue played a big factor in that. As you said, let's hope this is the year everything clicks.

14. Rocky Raccoon

Rocky Raccoon Greasepaint Ghost Staff Member

Dec 2, 2007
    Jersey
    I think some of the defensive players admitted to being worn down at the end of the year. For the first half of the season our defense was pretty damn good, and then they completely fell apart.

Good for Philbin for realizing changes needed to be made to keep everyone fresh.

15. Colmax

Colmax Well-Known Member

Dec 12, 2007
    Didn't he change the off-days to sort of curtail this type of thing last year? Or maybe I have the reasoning for the change of days wrong?

If it was for this, does anyone remember when that change was made?

16. PhinFan1968

PhinFan1968 To 2020, and BEYOND! Club Member

I'm
    IIRC that change was made to make them more fresh for game day...dunno if it was also for late season stamina.

Colmax likes this.
  17. Pennington's Limp Arm

Pennington's Limp Arm Well-Known Member

Mar 7, 2014
    Ontario, Canada
    Maybe watch films of successful teams and get a better feel for late game clock management and timeout usages.
    Simple, but seriously he needs to improve at that aspect of finishing individual games... that's what I thought this topic was going to be about.

Jeez, he must have practiced them into the ground if he thinks they lost their legs... weren't we one of the youngest teams in the league the last two seasons?
    Being fresh should have been the least of our worries.

18. djphinfan

Dec 20, 2007
    I'm not sure I'm buying it Roc, not sure it isn't just another excuse by those players..idk man, this is impossible to figure out..seems to be like this team should be more hungry than anyone..i mean they literally haven't accomplished anything together, but the dynamic is just to hard to decipher..

19. djphinfan

Dec 20, 2007
    practices are limited as is..bizzarro.

20. Brasfin

Brasfin Well-Known Member

Apr 27, 2013
    Brazil
    I don't think he's reducing overall practice time, just changing it up a bit.,types of drills, order, time practiced per drill, stuff like that. And let's not forget he's getting input from his sport science staff, it's not like he's taking wild guesses here, he actually has data to backup his decisions.

21. RoninFin4

RoninFin4 Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Dec 11, 2007
    Cincinnati, Ohio
    The run D started to break down in the Denver game. Delmas was lost two weeks later.

22. RoninFin4

RoninFin4 Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Dec 11, 2007
    Cincinnati, Ohio
    We know from Barry Jackson that a lot of players HATED the Saturday practices last year. I believe that was in a Sports Buzz right after the season.

23. cuchulainn

cuchulainn Táin Bó Cúailnge Club Member

Sep 7, 2012
    Hattiesburg, MS
    Odrick never played the same after the chest injury in that Denver game.

Once eliminated from playoff contention, the D was just going thru motions.

24. Piston Honda

Sep 23, 2014
    There's not enough attention paid to how many injuries there were on D.

25. Piston Honda

Sep 23, 2014
    Part of the run D was routinely bringing safeties into the box and playing cover 3 behind it. Injuries in the secondary made that a risky thing to do. In the Denver game specifically Coyle was hesitant in commiting to stop the run, Denver would come out in 2 TE sets and he'd stay with the nickel. I'm sure he'd say he was more worried about Peyton, especially after Jamar Taylor went down but as he year wore other teams had less and less respect for Manning's ability to attack downfield. In the divisional round the Colts basically dared Denver to throw deep and shut their offense down in the process.

Even vs NYJ the next week Coyle was gun shy vs the run and the Jets ran wild the entire first half despite hardly even making an effort to pass. And unlike the Denver game the offense wasn't encouraging him to be passive by scoring a bunch of points early.

26. jdang307

jdang307 Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Nov 29, 2007
    San Diego
    He said he did just that. Basically admitting he effed up.

I'm serious, after these games he said he's gonna review what other teams do in those situations. I'm too lazy to look it up but it was mentioned he was going to do so.

27. LBsFinest

LBsFinest Banned

Jul 24, 2012
    Injuries to bums...stop with the excuses.

28. djphinfan

Dec 20, 2007
    well, one could make the argument that the failure was a personnell issue and not a coaching one no?

that would be irelands fault in recent past, now we have hickey reshaping the roster, and things look dramatically different...i mean in two short years look what he has done to the receiver unit..

29. Piston Honda

Sep 23, 2014
    Gotta admire your consistency.

30. Piston Honda

Sep 23, 2014
    Outside of the QB, who Ireland drafted, the current roster isn't significantly more talented than the roster Philbin inherited when he was hired. The diff is that it's more suited to running the schemes that Philbin prefers.