1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Sports Buzz: Four unproven Dolphins thrust into first-team roles as OTAs begin

Discussion in 'Miami Dolphins Forum' started by jim1, May 26, 2015.

1. jim1

jim1 New Member

Jul 1, 2008
    Benton said Thomas, drafted 77th overall in 2013, is “so much better” from… “this point last year to this point this year. It’s a world of difference… His skills are more refined.”

Here’s one positive about Thomas playing guard: Though he yielded seven sacks in 333 snaps at tackle last season, he didn’t give up any in 362 snaps at guard, according to Pro Football Focus.

Chris McCain. As an undrafted rookie last year, McCain showed flashes, including a sack, in just 46 defensive snaps. The Dolphins on Tuesday used him as ex-Fin Philip Wheeler’s replacement as the first-team strong-side (SAM) linebacker, a position McCain played some at the University of California.

“I feel very comfortable at the SAM position; coaches see I’m a lot more comfortable and put their trust in me,” he said. “I’m progressing really well. I’m long and lanky and pretty physical. I give it my all every play. I believe they can tell I’ve been trying to get the starting job.”

McCain, who said he also received “a little bit” of work at defensive end on Tuesday, has “talent, length, the right mind set,” general manager Dennis Hickey said. “We’re excited about the future with him.”

http://miamiherald.typepad.com/spor...begin-beckhamum-update-heat-summons-draf.html

2. Bpk

Bpk Premium Member Luxury Box

I am so ****ing sick of Dallas Thomas.

The coaches always say positive ****, but he gets blown up by everyone in practice and games.

3. Bpk

Bpk Premium Member Luxury Box

Conversely, one of the BEST things I heard today is that McCain made a play vs. Stills on a short catch. McCain has pass rush ability at OLB. If this mofo can also drop into coverage he WILL get snaps!

Tone_E, CashInFist, Fin4Ever and 2 others like this.
  4. Sceeto

Sceeto Well-Known Member

Oct 13, 2008
    New York
    Psyched about McCain. Hope he keeps progressing. What a huge boost that would be for the LBs.

Da 'Fins, Itsdahumidity and Fin4Ever like this.
  5. padre31

padre31 Premium Member Luxury Box

Nov 22, 2007
    inching to 100k posts
    Would be nice if McCain and Jenkins became a dynamic duo for us

6. Fin4Ever

Fin4Ever Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Aug 26, 2014
    Vero Beach, FL
    I hope we all realize that we really have some great talent at LB....We still have Tripp who I still think would be good if he played more and the 4 UDFA's all have really decent talent...Luc,Vigil,Hull, & Hewitt...everyone was worried about LB but we will be OK and the new guys could really help ST's. Keep your eyes on Luc(Luke).....this kid is a beast and creates allot of TO's Like Bobby McCain...We need to get them both on the field.:up:

7. Pandarilla

Pandarilla Purist Emeritus

Sep 10, 2009
    Boone, NC
    McCainnnn!

Seriously thinking about chiming in like a cigar smoking chief of a downtown police station in a bad cop flic every time McCain makes a good play.

"McCain! you just destroyed a guard, a tackle, a rb and not to mention a million dollar yacht in Biscayne marina...Just what the hell do you have to say for yourself?!! You better be God Damn glad you managed to sack the QB...

PhinFan1968 likes this.
  8. Clark Kent

Clark Kent Fighter of the Nightman

May 9, 2008
    I remember CK suggesting that it should be McCain playing DE and Jordan playing OLB last year. Not sure if he still feels the same way, but it would be nice if McCain became the player we hoped Dion would become. I don't want to get too ahead of myself over an UDFA, but McCain showed some serious flashes last year. Didn't he block a punt also? Or am I remembering wrong?

dolphin25 likes this.
  9. TheHighExhaulted

TheHighExhaulted Well-Known Member

Jan 15, 2008
    Favorite McCain moment last year was when Brandon Marshall started fighting with one of our corners and McCain stepped in and just looked at him and Marshall wimpered away.

10. gunn34

gunn34 I miss Don & Dan

Jan 5, 2008
    Oviedo FL
    We (the fan base) deserve some good fortune for our team. There hasn't been much of that the past 15 years.

Da 'Fins and CashInFist like this.
  11. CashInFist

CashInFist Well-Known Member

Nov 30, 2007
    West Virginia
    That's an understatement. We are DUE...

gunn34 likes this.
  12. Disgustipate

Disgustipate Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Nov 25, 2007
    If Dallas Thomas continues to start and it is a disaster, it's a damning indictment on pretty much the entire football structure on the team.

Tannenbaum and Hickey should have solved it more decisively, given it's fairly obvious at this point that Joe Philbin isn't going to figure out who the best five are without help.

dolphin25 likes this.
  13. Bumrush

Bumrush Stable Genius Club Member

Nov 25, 2007
    Love McCain (as evident by my sig), but remember he had difficulty staying healthy last year. Let's not jump ahead of ourselves with him just yet.

14. brandon27

brandon27 Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Dec 3, 2007
    Windsor, ON. CANADA
    :cry:

We have too many McCain's to keep track of!

Chris, Brice, Bobby... NNNNOOOO!!!!!

Hopefully he can be an answer at LB though, considering it's probably the weakest spot at the depth chart after Guard. Well, the two are neck and neck.

15. dolphin25

dolphin25 Well-Known Member

Nov 22, 2014
    I like this group of LB's and the undrafted guys brought in.

16. infiltrateib

infiltrateib Oh Hi Luxury Box

Mar 24, 2008
    Bay Area, CA
    I just want us all to take a minute and reflect on how funny this is. Well-written, too. Bravo.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Pandarilla likes this.
  17. Piston Honda

Piston Honda Well-Known Member

Sep 23, 2014
    He's never been a disaster at OG.

18. Deerless Dice

Deerless Dice Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Oct 30, 2013
    You're right, disaster doesn't quite convey how badly he did versus McCoy in that preseason game.

Da 'Fins and Conuficus like this.
  19. ckparrothead

ckparrothead Draft Forum Moderator Luxury Box

Dec 1, 2007
    If you believe in your coaches and they're going to bat for a player, you probably ought to listen. And if you don't believe in your coaches you should've fired them. So it's a bit of a catch 22. We're viewing this all through the lens of people that are skeptical of the staff's qualifications for making these sorts of calls. But if they shared our skepticism, there would be a new staff in place.

You also have to consider that within the context of the signs we've seen that Mike Tannenbaum does not value the guard positions at all in terms of resource allocation. IF that is your mindset, and your coaches are going to bat for a guy that sucked last year, then it's really not that big of a deal to let them continue with that experiment as it's not an important position to you anyway.

mbsinmisc and Pandarilla like this.
  20. Galant

Galant Love - Unity - Sacrifice - Eternity

Apr 22, 2014
    I'd honestly feel a lot happier if we had someone like Mathis manning that guard spot. Then again, we've only just entered OTA's and the coaches want time to see what sort of performance they're doing to get out of a healthy Turner and Thomas back at his more natural position.

Mathis, by the way, is sitting out OTA's (for the moment) and so clearly isn't happy. Evidently he's open to something different, the problem seems to be that he wants too much.
    Philly.com article "He is believed to be in search of performance-based incentives that would make him among the five highest-paid guards in the NFL."

21. Piston Honda

Piston Honda Well-Known Member

Sep 23, 2014
    Lol @ preseason. How about games that actually counted, Buffalo, Jax, KC, Oakland?

22. Deerless Dice

Oct 30, 2013
    I don't have access to PFF, what were his pressure numbers when he played at G? I realize his pass pro was better at G than T, but that's not saying much. I want Thomas to succeed but he doesn't give much reason for optimism.

23. Rocky Raccoon

Rocky Raccoon Greasepaint Ghost Staff Member

Dec 2, 2007
    Jersey
    Dallas Thomas has been awful but let's not pretend players can't turn it around. He wouldn't be the first and he wouldn't be the last. This will be a very crucial camp for him.

smahtaz and jason8er like this.
  24. cbrad

cbrad .

Dec 21, 2014
    But why gamble? Mathis is still there.. the guard position is the only one where I can't say this FO has done a good job. Of course, they may not be done yet.

25. Deerless Dice

Oct 30, 2013
    Mathis wants more money, and he's already due 5.5 million this year and 6 million next year. With Miami's payroll situation that's probably to steep to pay a guard along with Pouncey and Albert's contract. Plus you need to talk about trade compensation to acquire him. Given the situation, i think you need to let the young guys play and hope they can lock down one of the guard spots. Having 1 bad/below average guard is something an offense can work around.

26. cbrad

cbrad .

Dec 21, 2014
    If you can work around it, great! I just remember Dallas Thomas pancakes on sale too often. Whatever works is fine with me man.

27. Rocky Raccoon

Rocky Raccoon Greasepaint Ghost Staff Member

Dec 2, 2007
    Jersey
    Well, having backup plans is a must for sure. Whether those plans include an outside guy remains to be seen.

28. rafael

rafael Well-Known Member

Apr 6, 2008
    Obviously it depends on the trade compensation, but there's also speculation that Mathis could be a salary cap cut so maybe it isn't. Either way, I'd be comfortable paying the $5 - $6 mill and late pick to lock up a G spot and just be banking on one young guy to fill the other G spot rather than have to rely on two young guys to step up.

29. ckparrothead

Dec 1, 2007
    Are you proposing that despite Dallas Thomas being in the midst of competition for a starting job, he did not take the preseason game seriously? That would reflect pretty poorly on him.

30. Stringer Bell

Stringer Bell Post Hard, Post Often Club Member

Mar 22, 2008
    Can't spend big money on every position.

Sent from my A0001 using Tapatalk

31. ckparrothead

Dec 1, 2007
    Among 85 guards that took at least 100 pass blocking snaps AND at least 100 run blocking snaps, Dallas Thomas' pressure percentage ranked 75th.

If you want to account for his run blocking as well, you can use PFF's run blocking grades, dividing them by run blocking snaps (since PFF's grades are cumulative in nature). He ranked 81st of the 85 players this way.

A simple composite of the two rankings (75th plus 81st) puts him 83rd out of 85 qualifying guards.

So yes he was one of the very worst guards in the NFL in 2014.

That doesn't mean he will be that in 2015.

smahtaz likes this.
  32. dolfan22

dolfan22 Season Ticket Holder Club Member

It means it is quite likely to be a surprise if he isn't at the poor end of that list again .

33. keithjackson

keithjackson Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Dec 1, 2007
    How is his pressure score with 100+ guard snaps so poor if he gave up no sacks? Is he giving up a hurry on every other play? Or are his pressures from Tackle snaps being figuring into that ranking as well? Neither is good, but if it's the latter than at least one can claim it's apples v. oranges.

Also, did you do all that math involved in this post. (Or are there accessible algorithms with PFF for "dividing by run blocking snaps" or comparing the "simple composite" for all 85 players?) Either way, kudos; that seems like a ton of work.

Last question, do you think subscribing to PFF is worth the fee?

34. ckparrothead

Dec 1, 2007
    I'll take these one at a time:

1. His pressure rate is high (which is bad) because he gave up 14 pressures on 209 pass blocking snaps. The resulting percentage (6.70%) ranks 75th of the 85 qualifying guards. The pressures are constituted by 0 sacks, 2 hits and 12 hurries. Personally, and this is where I disagree with some people, I'm completely ambivalent to whether a pressure attributed to an OL resulted in a hurry, a hit or a sack. The result of a pressure being a sack, hit or hurry is far more dependent on the QB's skill and actions than the OL who let the pass rusher get by him. So from that OL's standpoint, a pressure is a pressure.

2. No I did not include any of his snaps at tackle. At least, if PFF included any of those in the stats, they are doing it secretly while claiming they are guard snaps. This is indeed apples to apples.

3. Yes I did the math and modeling myself. It's not new to me, as I do similar things for a living and it took me no more than 3 or 4 minutes. But thank you for the kudos.

4. I find a subscription to PFF to be essential, personally. There's nothing else like it. I have nitpicks with their grades. My problems with the grades are more about what I believe to be flawed structure, as opposed to the subjectivity involved in them, the latter of which being what most people seem to dislike. However their high-resolution statistics are amazingly helpful.

Disgustipate likes this.
  35. ckparrothead

Dec 1, 2007
    Young players tend to rise. They don't tend to go meteoric though. So maybe a good handicap would be for him to go from 98th percentile to...88th percentile?

Just spitballing.

36. keithjackson

Dec 1, 2007
    You're awesome, thanks.

However color me shocked. If you figure 30ish pass attempts a game, that's two pressures a game. If you asked me would I accept two pressures a game and no sacks from a new mystery guard, I'd say sign me up. (Still, I assume Thomas is involved in a lot of plays, that while not ticked as a pressure, is involved in lowering the probably of a play's success. Right, probably, maybe?)

Obviously, his run game is why he needs to replaced. (Then again, we had one of the most efficient run games in football last year, which he was part of.) However, honestly, how much improvement in pass protection can one expect by allocating a big contract to an Evan Mathis?

Curious, nonetheless.

37. ckparrothead

Dec 1, 2007
    Olivier Vernon's pressure percentage went from 7.75% as a rookie to 9.50% as a second year player and then 10.69% as a third year.

That rookie number was about 81st percentile all told, so if you were to point out that in 2012 he was one of the worst pass rushers in football you'd have been correct. But then he improved to 59th percentile and now he's all the way up at 46th percentile.

So young players can improve off the bottom to a respectable level.

But given the trajectory I doubt Olivier Vernon is ever going to develop into a Cam Wake, who was 3rd percentile in 2012, 2nd percentile in 2013 and now still 6th percentile in 2014 despite being 32 years old.

In that way I don't think it's terrible to expect that we'll never be referring to Dallas Thomas as a pro bowl caliber guard.

keithjackson likes this.
  38. ckparrothead

Dec 1, 2007
    Problem.

An average of 6.4 pressures per game happen that are not attributable to OLs. If you allow that average amount, AND each of your OLs allow 2.3 pressures per game (which is what Dallas Thomas allowed), your quarterback is taking probably the most pressure in the entire NFL.

So are you sure you're willing to accept that?

39. keithjackson

Dec 1, 2007
    I would not accept 2.3 pressures a game from each Olineman, especially the million dollar men. However, I would absolutely accept 2.3 pressures a game from the absolute worst starter on either side of the ball who is still on his rookie contract. Considering the resources used, and if you resign yourself that every team is going to have a weakest link, 2.3 pressures still surprises me. Plus, extrapolating zero sacks, silly or not, is just icing on the cake.

Semi-obviously, Dallas is the team's weak link, but you made me wonder what is the value of resources should spent removing his 2.3 pressures. (I don't know how much better Evan Mathis, Billy Turner or Jamil Douglas would perform.)

It seems like this discussion should veer towards his terrible 81/85 run blocking grade.

40. Ohio Fanatic

Ohio Fanatic Twuaddle or bust Club Member

Nov 26, 2007
    Concord, MA
    that's true. If I thought Thomas could even be average, I'd be fine riding with him. But the potential difference between Mathis and Thomas is so extreme, the office really should still be considering trading for Mathis.