1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Lazor on Tannehill: 'I'm very happy with how his offseason went'

Discussion in 'Miami Dolphins Forum' started by Colmax, May 26, 2015.

1. Colmax

Colmax Well-Known Member

Dec 12, 2007
    There is a little fantasy outlook at the bottom of the page for the fantasy folks.

Link: HERE

2. Bumrush

Bumrush Stable Genius Club Member

Nov 25, 2007
    Seems like the entire coaching staff and organization is using the same terminology. Hard working. Smart. Does it right.

I don't know about you guys, but it sounds to me like they are managing expectations, not promoting what they believe to be a franchise QB and dominant force at the position. I wish for once a member of the coaching staff or front office said, "We are excited about Ryan Tannehill becoming an elite QB next year. He has three years under his belt, a revamped WR corp that plays to his strengths, and the confidence and determination to be a leader and a force to be reckoned with in the NFL"

All these tempered expectations and descriptions of being a hard worker are nice and all, but typically when you describe someone as a hard worker you aren't describing what you believe to be greatness.

/end rant.

3. djphinfan

djphinfan Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Dec 20, 2007
    Hmmm, I'll take improvement everywhere and see what that looks like..

No reason he shouldn't improve everywhere in qb'ing except his toughness, he's good to go in that dept, ill take smarter ( faster processor, smarter runner, better anticipation, more aware of situational football, and physically faster..

I would bet on it happening.

Fin4Ever likes this.
  4. zwave21

zwave21 New Member

Dec 31, 2012
    I'll take improvement at the QB position any day. Tannehill is going to be extremely more comfortable in his knowledge of the system, can his OL hold up and can he find chemistry with his weapons?

I am happy to have Pouncey moved back to Center. I believe a year in the weight room for Juwan will pay dividends. Albert when healthy is a top 3 LT and our team was completely different with him last year. Billy Turner is going to intrigue me a ton, going up against Suh is really going to accelerate his learning curve don't ya think. LG is the real question.

This is the most talented collection I have seen and young at that. Outside of Jennings were talking 26 and under. Stills is going to become a fan favorite. Landry already is. Parker seems to have a very exciting skillset, and I think he is what we've been missing. Cameron and Sims are a very solid duo.

Come on though, you really see Philbin ever saying that. Who cares about saying Elite? We haven't won anything nor even made the playoffs. This organization especially FO and Ownership have sung this kids praises. I hope to hell we do become a force to be reckoned with, but let's stay modest, not brash.

5. resnor

resnor Derp Sherpa

Nov 25, 2007
    New Hampshire
    Why would any coaching staff refer to their guy and say they "are excited for him to be an elite QB next season." Nothing like putting unnecessary pressure on your QB.

Fin4Ever and the 23rd like this.
  6. Colmax

Colmax Well-Known Member

Dec 12, 2007
    Good point.

But there is another way to look at it: regardless of what Philbin says to the media last year prior to the game in England, coaches do things to sort of light that veritable "fire in his ***" to get him going. I think Philbin did just that last year.

Philbin and Tannehill complement one another nicely. Both are ultimate professionals in how they go about their jobs. This doesn't mean they are the best at what they do, but you will get guys who will do what they can to get better.

Both are learning. Both, regardless of what opinions are out there, are trying their damnedest to get better at their individual roles. That is a lot better than say, a Dion Jordan.

I do agree that the expectations are tempered, but for good reason. Tannehill has proven ZILCH. Why build a guy up who is not there yet? Could he be? Sure. I think he can. The organization certainly thinks he can be with that new contract.

I think Philbin is a straight shooter in some regard. He wants this sort of tempered expectation to continue to allow Tannehill growth. Good growth. Steady growth. Sort of like lmeister's ***** when he talks about Cam Wake! haha I kid!

Anyway, until Tannehill becomes an elite QB, you won't see it being said by the staff. I think they are right in doing it that way, too. No BS. Just the straight stuff for the face of the franchise. Say what you want, but I think Philbin has finally built his 'professional' roster and staff. And I think the final product will be something we as fans can be proud of.

7. Alex13

Alex13 Tua Time !!! Club Member

Dec 21, 2007
    Berlin,Germany
    Looks like LazorĀ“s offseason also went very well, he looks like he gained some weight, especially his face