1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

PFF top 101 (4 Dolphins)

Discussion in 'Miami Dolphins Forum' started by Clark Kent, May 19, 2015.

1. Clark Kent

Clark Kent Fighter of the Nightman

May 9, 2008
    PFF rankings and stats are controversial. Some put more or less weight into their evaluation system than others. I figured this would be an interesting discussion in an otherwise quiet period in the off-season. A note about these rankings, PFF assumes all positions are equal. This is just a straight up list of the best graders, regardless of positional value.

Obviously not a Dolphin until 2015, but whatever. Some of us were just talking about the Detroit v. Dolphins game on NFL replay the other day. Turns out, PFF said it was his best performance. Suh's 56 QB disruptions lead the NFL for DT's. Nice. Can't wait to see this beast in action as a Miami Dolphin, pairing him up with #28 on the list... The Cracken.

Most disruptive DT in football and the best pass rushing 4-3 DE in football? Yes please. Suh and Wake are going to feast off each other's presence. All of those potential sacks Wake misses because the QB steps up at the last moment, into a clean pocket, are OVER. Pick your poison. Either you let Cam Wake fly off the edge and demolish you, or step up in the pocket and let Suh pancake you. 6'5" 330lbs behemoth Jordan Phillips will never see a double team with these on the field. Crazy...

Not a lot of RB's made the 101. Miller was one of them. Trade him! I'm very interested in his new playing weight of 225. Miller is a natural runner, and if he maintains most/all of his speed, adding some bulk could make him a more balanced runner on the inside.

2nd best pass blocker in the NFL up until his injury. For those who doubt the offense's struggled were related to his injury, that should say something. We repaced Albert with a natural RT (rookie) and let the right side of the o-line become a turnstile (as it has been for years now). Probably ranked as a top 50 player without the injury cutting his season short.

No Brent Grimes? I really thought he would make the cut. Kind of surprising to me.

A bunch of former Dolphins made the list too if anyone cares.

For those who claim Vontae was "disappointing." Sorry, but that trade still pisses me off.

Fin4Ever, Pandarilla, Bpk and 4 others like this.
  2. jdang307

jdang307 Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Nov 29, 2007
    San Diego
    Problem is, Tanny is 12th best QB give or take depending on who is grading.

3. RoninFin4

RoninFin4 Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Dec 11, 2007
    Cincinnati, Ohio
    Not that surprised about Brent Grimes. If you look at the first 8 games of the year, he's definitely on the list, and I wouldn't argue if you had him top 50. But he really tailed off the final half of the year, and I hope that's not a sign of things to come. Denver and Minnesota stick out as two games where he was pretty poor.

I was at the Detroit game last year in the endzone closest to the end of the field where Suh basically told the Dolphins "F You" their entire first series. He was simply amazing throughout the game and I'm VERY happy Miami ended up getting him. He's going to make a difference and it wouldn't surprise me one bit to see both he and Wake ranked higher than 25th and 28th respectively next year.

Fin4Ever likes this.
  4. Piston Honda

Piston Honda Well-Known Member

Sep 23, 2014
    I'm with Ronin, Grimes' play fell off in the second half of the year. What's crazy I'd he's the only guy on the back 7 who didn't miss multiple games. The injuries were sick, regressing to the mean alone would improve the D considerably.

5. Bpk

Bpk Premium Member Luxury Box

So our D should be better than our O, based on talent.

But then Coyle < Lazor

Fin4Ever likes this.
  6. Bpk

Bpk Premium Member Luxury Box

Wonder if Coyle will drop Suh to cover Edelman at least once this season?

PhinFan1968 likes this.
  7. MonstBlitz

MonstBlitz Nobody's Fart Catcher

Jan 14, 2008
    Hornell, NY
    VD #6. But hey, Jeffrey got us those "coupla picks" for him.

The way that man pissed all over this franchise never ceases to amaze me. VD was showing all the signs of a shutdown corner before Philbin came to town with his amazing inability to coach players and harness their talents.

8. Clark Kent

Clark Kent Fighter of the Nightman

May 9, 2008
    Philbin didn't even try to coach Vontae. Richard Marshall was having a good camp and they pulled the trigger. Amazing bafoonery all around.

9. MonstBlitz

MonstBlitz Nobody's Fart Catcher

Jan 14, 2008
    Hornell, NY
    Fans around these parts will claim it was a good move and that Vontae never did anything as a Dolphin but there were plenty of games where you never heard his name called for all the right reasons. Not to mention those game clinching INTs against the Patsies. But selective memory causes them to remember the one off year and they dismiss what a terrible move it was. Sean Smith and VD were 2 of the very few good picks Ireland / Parcells made and old Pasty Legs flushed them both right down the toilet.

10. jdang307

jdang307 Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Nov 29, 2007
    San Diego
    The thing that kills me is, they didn't even try. But we were signing Eric Steinbach

Fin4Ever and Clark Kent like this.
  11. RoninFin4

RoninFin4 Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Dec 11, 2007
    Cincinnati, Ohio
    Miami's signed a former Philbin player each year save for 2013. Though, we've heard a lot that he/his staff banged the table for Ellerbe, Wheeler, drafting Jonathan Martin (then wanting to pull the plug and trade for Branden Albert), etc. All those, save for the drafting of Martin, were in 2013.

2012 - Eric Steinbach (Iowa)
    2013 -
    2014 - Daryn Colledge (Green Bay)
    2015 - Greg Jennings (Green Bay)